Herman

Nature watch.

Why do Blackbirds **** on their own food table? The Robins are well house trained but t'others are right old slobs.

On 20/03/2024 at 16:45, Herman said:

There was a lovely Lapwing around this morning. Mad little thing.

What happened to lapwings? Used to see loads of them but I can't remember the last time I saw one

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

What happened to lapwings? Used to see loads of them but I can't remember the last time I saw one

They are on the red list unfortunately FF. Fertilisers being a massive issue (nitrogen heavy) and the switch away from mixed farming to pure economic arable land. We get a just a few up north around where I live (you hear them often before seeing them - a lovely sound too) and there are sheep fields everywhere but crucially a there are a few bits of moorland and mixed grassed areas nearby.

You'll see foam though in the local gills and streams because of all the fertiliser and feed the farmers use. The higher water table doesn't help over the last few months either in that respect.

A lot of ducks and inland seagulls seem to have replaced them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 27/03/2024 at 18:25, FenwayFrank said:

The only time I see or hear them these days is in the Peak District, particularly on the western side. I walked the ridge to Shining Tor last summer and there were lots. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Blimey! He's a survivor. Did we decide what sort he was? He was an import wasn't he...

Yeah, he's an Italian. A lady at work found another one "imported" inside a load of plants. 😬

The Common lizard popped out a few ago but has disappeared again.

I keep a record of the annual arrival of House Martins. Should be in the next 10 days. If anyone sees one please let me know. Thanks! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The BTO. Cuckoo tracking site shows the first Cuckoo's have flown the Sahara and are now in Morocco. The should starting arriving in the UK next week.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We get Cuckoos in early May normally so it's good to read they're on track! Maybe earlier in the South of England.

My elderly neighbour asked me excitedly last week "Did you hear the Curlews arriving?" And I had just seen a pair over the fields on the dog walk. You can't miss them because of that amazing song well before you see them. I think they either come from Scandinavian countries or from our coastal areas to come inland to breed.

The local farmer expects 1800 lambs and that is just his flock. Last year the fields were full. He is is working through the night with his son. The fields are still very wet but hopefully some Spring warmth is coming. 

Edit: photo from last year.(Start of June, when the lambs had grown quite a bit). Just one small field of about 30 adjacent.

IMG_20230601_185319.jpg

• Like 2

Blimey, very heavy sleet showers down here today. Just what the fresh spring growth needs!!

On 12/04/2024 at 10:07, ricardo said:

The BTO. Cuckoo tracking site shows the first Cuckoo's have flown the Sahara and are now in Morocco. The should starting arriving in the UK next week.

I must admit haven't heard a cuckoo for a long time. I'm sure they must of been much more common in my youth.

On 12/04/2024 at 10:07, ricardo said:

Some already been seen. Locally as well 👍

I think Strumpshaw fen was one...

• Like 1

On 10/04/2024 at 18:59, Herman said:

Gordoni's alive!!

p?i=e6f2a2cce0c29bf5331f6587d303a004

...Gordon's alive too.

p?i=42fcff3d27fc896c9e0542c23932630c

• Like 2

On 07/04/2024 at 13:21, John Ryans Express said:

There were lapwings in the fields alongside the Acle straight this morning.Not many,mind you…

The last time I saw a significant flock was on Halvergate marshes

Pair of blackbirds on the bird table this morning, feeding two already fledged youngsters. That seems very early to me.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Pair of blackbirds on the bird table this morning, feeding two already fledged youngsters. That seems very early to me.

Same here. We have a couple hopping about the shed. The blackbirds are flourishing this spring. 

• Like 1

Chiffchaffs, Skylarks and Yellowhammers all singing away. Only one Swallow and still no Cuckoos so far.

Apples

• Like 2

On 17/04/2024 at 10:10, horsefly said:

We lost one of the chicks. All that was left was a pair of wings.😲

1 hour ago, Herman said:

We lost one of the chicks. All that was left was a pair of wings.😲

That's a shame. Fingers crossed for the remaining one. 

• Like 1

Saw something on the front lawn today which I know happens but have never witnessed before. A magpie had pinned a blackbird to the ground and was beating it to death with it's beak before flying off with it. Difficult to like magpies , especially since they have moved into urban areas.

• Sad 2

Saw a  couple of kites circling high above the parents allotment the other day when they roped me into mowing/digging duties. 

• Like 1

Had hedgehog / hedgehogs grunting and snorting in the garden last night, hoping to get them to occupy the hedgehog house we have put down for them. Have been putting out mealworms for them to eat as we thought that was the right thing, but have discovered that it is bad for them and can lead to a form of brittle bone disease due to the mineral balance in the mealworms. Just a shout out as we were blissfully feeding with this thinking we were doing the right thing. 
A photo taken a few nights ago.

DSCF0029.jpeg

Edited by Nik Vawn
  • Like 2