Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

14 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Numbers could now be ticking up. Today UK very close to 1% positives (1735 - 13)

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

For comparrison yesterdays major European countries.

Italy   1326 - 6

France 7017 - 25

Spain   8581 - 42

Germany 1390 - 12

France and Spain seem to be accelerating quite sharply.

12 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Give it maybe 3 or 4 weeks and the admissions will start to rise as it works its way back into the more vunerable goups. Figures on the Zoe app now going up, 1974 today, this is a good barometer.

Schools back (which is right but....). Light touch paper.....

It only gets worse from here.

2 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Schools back (which is right but....). Light touch paper.....

It only gets worse from here.

I'm not even sure if that is any real guide

and silly numbers from random testing are even more worthless

While the NHS is not under too much strain, those requiring consultations, scans and treatment, can be attended to. We have to try and get those people through the system in case hospital cases do increase.

Personally, I don't believe the impact of a second wave will be anywhere as dramatic as the first. I just believe that so many of us are purely asymptomatic.

Does look like Spain and France have lost control.  Could be a turning  point for the UK but it seems the consensus is that we carry on with swedish model until the vaccine arrives.

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

Numbers could now be ticking up. Today UK very close to 1% positives (1735 - 13)

For comparrison yesterdays major European countries.

Italy   1326 - 6

France 7017 - 25

Spain   8581 - 42

Germany 1390 - 12

France and Spain seem to be accelerating quite sharply.

The seven day rolling averages in France and Spain not moving too much. Yesterday in Spain 31.86. 19th August it was 31.14. The ‘big’ jump in Spain was the week before where it jumped from rolling 7 day average of 12 to 31. The three weeks since it has stayed flat though, which hopefully means it will start going down again rather than up any further. 

France’s rolling seven day average yesterday was 16.71 - August 19th it was 13.86, and other than a few days in July, it has always been around the 12-14 mark.

Anybody know if Italy changed their figures or similar? They had a spike in seven day rolling average on Aug 15th - up from 6 to 27, stayed around 27 until Aug 24th then dropped back to around 5 a day where it’s stayed since. Is that a genuine drop back down?

Edit: sorry, should have said above is death figures.

Edited by Aggy

17 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

Does look like Spain and France have lost control.  Could be a turning  point for the UK but it seems the consensus is that we carry on with swedish model until the vaccine arrives.

Equally Germany and Italy and everywhere else haven’t. Why would there be a turning point in the UK based solely on what’s happening in France and Spain?

edit: and even in those two countries, the death rates are stable the testing continues to increase massively which will account for at least some of the additional cases. 

Edited by Aggy

50 minutes ago, sonyc said:

From the three schools that give numbers, there are five people (inc. 2 staff) in total who have tested positive for covid. Two other schools haven’t announced the figures (the headline says eight schools but they only list five) but I’m sure there would have been more made of it if it had been high. So probably fewer than 10 or 15 cases nationwide. Out of thousands of schools and hundreds of thousands of kids. If anything, I’d say that was quite positive... especially as the article also says many caught it on summer holidays abroad, which presumably won’t be happening during term time.

Dennington Queens Head, pub near Framingham just posted on Facebook” member of staff tested positive, if you attended recently and are feeling unwell get yourself tested asap “

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

BB - I see Norfolk County Council are so disappointed with the performance of the national 'top down' T/T that they are now going with their own 'local' one following the Banham Poultry outbreak.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/health/norfolk-county-council-recruits-contact-tracers-for-coronavirus-test-scheme-1-6821895

I think this is argument about 'top-down' vs 'bottom -up' T/T that has been comprehensively lost by feet on the ground.

• Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

BB - I see Norfolk County Council are so disappointed with the performance of the national 'top down' T/T that they are now going with their own 'local' one following the Banham Poultry outbreak.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/health/norfolk-county-council-recruits-contact-tracers-for-coronavirus-test-scheme-1-6821895

I think this is argument about 'top-down' vs 'bottom -up' T/T that has been comprehensively lost by feet on the ground.

You've missed the point i was making. Top down means that it is built at a national level and then pushed down.   I didnt say it should be run on a 'centralised' basis. 

I'll repeat it, I think the best approach is.  That a nationwide IT system is built, basically a database that allows operators to link contacts and record interactions.   The centre recruits to the system and trains 'core' staff. 

At a local level authorities can see all of the data that is collected and make decisions based on that.  If they wish they can also augment the staffing with call centre or site visiting operators. They may well also be given direct control over staff from the centre if there is a surge in local demand.

Point is that it all feeds into one database and can be seen by all authorities.  Useful if a norfolk outbreak is then linked to a Manchester distribution depot and then to a dock in Merseyside and local authorities have none of the headaches that come with project managing this sort of rhing from.start to finish.

Edited by Barbe bleu

12 minutes ago, ricardo said:

UK numbers finally tick a little over 1% positives

1940 - 10

yesterdays major European countries.

Italy   1390 - 12

France 7157 - 20

Spain   8959 - 40

Germany 1423 - 6

I just looked in expecting to see your report Ricky and in its absence got drawn towards Chloe.😀

France and Spain are in big trouble, we are heading the same way...stay safe in Norwich!!!

Getting hotter. Stay safe!

image.thumb.png.5d34e30a1700292d1ad4a99f6966a32e.png

Edited by Van wink

7 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Thanks to the Banham outbreak, Norfolk has just been declared an area of enhanced support.

Indeed, and local resources have already been called in 😉

16 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Thanks to the Banham outbreak, Norfolk has just been declared an area of enhanced support.

if only they had been wearing masks, and using protective clothing

they are in France* and there are no infections there

* I asked RTB

27 minutes ago, Bill said:

if only they had been wearing masks, and using protective clothing

they are in France* and there are no infections there

* I asked RTB

Any sign of them yet Billy, hanging low 😂

3 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

You've missed the point i was making. Top down means that it is built at a national level and then pushed down.   I didnt say it should be run on a 'centralised' basis. 

I'll repeat it, I think the best approach is.  That a nationwide IT system is built, basically a database that allows operators to link contacts and record interactions.   The centre recruits to the system and trains 'core' staff. 

At a local level authorities can see all of the data that is collected and make decisions based on that.  If they wish they can also augment the staffing with call centre or site visiting operators. They may well also be given direct control over staff from the centre if there is a surge in local demand.

Point is that it all feeds into one database and can be seen by all authorities.  Useful if a norfolk outbreak is then linked to a Manchester distribution depot and then to a dock in Merseyside and local authorities have none of the headaches that come with project managing this sort of rhing from.start to finish.

No we haven't - your response above shows very clearly that you either have no understanding of the design & development of IT systems and the deployment of large scale projects/operations, or you are peversely refusing to acknowledgement that your view is wrong even in the face of overwhelming evidence to that effect.

Even though the Government haven't got either the grace or the honesty to admit that their (and your) view was entirely wrong, their complete u-turns on both the app and tracing demonstrate very clearly how wrong the approach actually was, as do the KPI figures if you favour that type of performance assessment.

Which is why I'm puzzled as to why you continue to make yourself look foolish in trying to defend an indefensible position which everyone else, including the original proponents of your approach, have long since abandoned?

53 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I don't think I am going to get a proper holiday this year if this carries on. A tiny problem compared too many other's but still....

5 minutes ago, Herman said:

I don't think I am going to get a proper holiday this year if this carries on. A tiny problem compared too many other's but still....

What’s a proper holiday? North  Norfolk will be terrific next week when “ all them others” **** off.😁

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

No we haven't - your response above shows very clearly that you either have no understanding of the design & development of IT systems and the deployment of large scale projects/operations, or you are peversely refusing to acknowledgement that your view is wrong even in the face of overwhelming evidence to that effect.

Even though the Government haven't got either the grace or the honesty to admit that their (and your) view was entirely wrong, their complete u-turns on both the app and tracing demonstrate very clearly how wrong the approach actually was, as do the KPI figures if you favour that type of performance assessment.

Which is why I'm puzzled as to why you continue to make yourself look foolish in trying to defend an indefensible position which everyone else, including the original proponents of your approach, have long since abandoned?

Here we go with that superior tone of yours.  Once again we either completely agree with you or we are stupid.  You had me on mute once, do everyone a favour and put me back on the ignore list.

On reflection you are correct.  Local authorities should have been told to sort it out themselves.   I am sure that they would all have been able to build a nationwide integrated Track and Trace IT system from scratch,  recruited to it without issue and trained the recuits in no time at all....And all whilst not impacting on existing services. 

These local government workers must be so lazy given they would have been able to do this and their day job.

And I've not mentioned the app once....

Cos brexit.

Edited by Barbe bleu

2 minutes ago, Van wink said:

What’s a proper holiday? North  Norfolk will be terrific next week when “ all them others” **** off.😁

A proper holiday is getting out of Hertfordshire for a while. North Norfolk would be great. Suffolk or South Coast as well.

9 minutes ago, Herman said:

A proper holiday is getting out of Hertfordshire for a while. North Norfolk would be great. Suffolk or South Coast as well.

Forget Suffolk and get out to North Norfolk over the next few weeks Herman. It’s been Bedlham here and even this week when I thought things would die down after the Bank Holiday the masses continued. I expect next week to be a lot more relaxed so now is the time to come.

Bring your mask, unless you fancy shopping at Aldi or Lidl where we are told folk ignore the advice.😉 My experience is that those that ignore the advice are looked upon as Morons.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-54031912

It looks  like Johnson doesn't understand how airport testing is supposed to work 

Test at the border, isolate for a few  days, test again

Tricky one this i feel.    14 days of quarantine should mean you are clear of anything you picked up by the time you get out again and no risk of false negatives if testing is not involved.

But against this the travel Industry (though not the environment) does need us to travel if it is going to keep us employed and testing as an alternative to quarantine might encourage us to do   

I guess what really matters is how observant of rules we all are. That is the great unknown.