Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

24 minutes ago, sonyc said:

https://lginform.local.gov.uk/reports/view/lga-research/covid-19-case-tracker

Is this any use @Aggy?

It shows various graphs with lots of interest ....including top 10 councils for lab confirmed C19 . Shows Kent as number 1.

Thanks, interesting. Was looking for numbers historically as well (to see, for instance, if there was a large spike in testing in Leicester, Bradford, Greater Manchester before increased restrictions there - certainly I read one article stating in Leicester before the increased restrictions they had recently increased from one testing centre to seven, so I would imagine there were more tests done before the increased restrictions).

28 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Thanks, interesting. Was looking for numbers historically as well (to see, for instance, if there was a large spike in testing in Leicester, Bradford, Greater Manchester before increased restrictions there - certainly I read one article stating in Leicester before the increased restrictions they had recently increased from one testing centre to seven, so I would imagine there were more tests done before the increased restrictions).

Well I was interested to see that the Bradford area has been high up on the list (lab testing) and is one area that has had higher infection rates recently (now decreasing) and can only assume if you get  government intervention help and support ,then there is a greater focus and drive (local councils pushing people to get tested - even by door to door knocking).  @Van wink may know better. given his role

2 hours ago, Aggy said:

Have you seen any sources that breakdown number of tests by region of the country, Ricardo?

No, sorry.

16 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Well I was interested to see that the Bradford area has been high up on the list (lab testing) and is one area that has had higher infection rates recently (now decreasing) and can only assume if you get  government intervention help and support ,then there is a greater focus and drive (local councils pushing people to get tested - even by door to door knocking).  @Van wink may know better. given his role

Not sure about door to door knocking other than of known contacts,  clearly if there is an outbreak based around a specific location then lots of testing will take place, as for a general increase in sporadic community cases contacts will be asked to have a test where they are identified, but I am am not aware of more General random community testing taking place, but that may happen. Certainly people living an an area of high incidence will be more inclined to have a test if they are remotely worried so it is likely that will cause more testing to take place.

Numbers up in the South West but not surprising due to the increased amount of visitors. Only 13 hospital cases.

Cornwall in particular doing well considering. You have more chance of getting Covid than a car park at the moment.

• Like 1

1715 positives today,  still less than 1% of tests.
1 death
hospitalisations stable.

I wonder how many caught it at Trafalgar Square yesterday? If they are taking David Icke seriously then I don't really care what they catch but worry their stupidity will spread it around the country.

Just now, Herman said:

I wonder how many caught it at Trafalgar Square yesterday? If they are taking David Icke seriously then I don't really care what they catch but worry their stupidity will spread it around the country.

Can lizards catch Covid 19?

38 minutes ago, Herman said:

Or at Banwen. Personally I think they have voluntered to be guinea pigs .. and 14 days enforced quarantine at HM pleasure.

56 minutes ago, ricardo said:
1 death
hospitalisations stable.

Here we go 

21 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Or at Banwen. Personally I think they have voluntered to be guinea pigs .. and 14 days enforced quarantine at HM pleasure.

We could go back to olden days and make them wear a bell.😀

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, ricardo said:
1 death
hospitalisations stable.

I think all I can say is Tick Tock.

2 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I think all I can say is Tick Tock.

Yes indeed. You can simply follow the graph shape and if you feel gruesome, extrapolate the number against the X axis of days. I think the late 2000s will be reported this week don't you?

I've started to wonder if Hancock meant what he said about not ruling out another national lockdown? Surely not?

13 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Yes indeed. You can simply follow the graph shape and if you feel gruesome, extrapolate the number against the X axis of days. I think the late 2000s will be reported this week don't you?

I've started to wonder if Hancock meant what he said about not ruling out another national lockdown? Surely not?

Yes - It's just the same as in March. Learnt very little it seems.

We can see what is happening in France, Spain etc by example who 'opened up' earlier and the virus is exploding there again.

We are following the same trajectory - a few weeks behind but taking few measures to really get on top of it and keep it low / negligible. Whatever France etc was doing two weeks ago didn't really work! 

Schools back this week (a must) - All I see is it rapidly getting out of control again needing far more stringent lockdowns than perhaps would of been needed if we had acted earlier. Sad to say but I think indoor pubs / restaurants / eat to get Covid was a disaster.

At Tesco yesterday, I joined what I thought was a queue for the anti bac but it turned out it was for the scanners. Not one of them cleaned the trolley handle or gelled their hands.

One chap was wandering around without a mask and staring at everyone as if to say "go on, say something".

People must adhere to the protocols or another lockdown  will happen. It is simple advice and hardly much of a nuisance. 

it was more of a nuisance waiting in Wilkos while somebody had a dozen or so scratchcards checked!

17 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Paxman on on what we've learned from the crisis.

Odd to read Paxman say that as a big Tory supporter. Then, a lot of people are starting to open their minds and their eyes and can see what kind of government we have. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Odd to read Paxman say that as a big Tory supporter. Then, a lot of people are starting to open their minds and their eyes and can see what kind of government we have. 

That is the difference. Tory supporters believe their party is righteous and makes the correct decisions for the country. 

That is clearly not happening with this Government. Leave alone judging their politics but just study how they have mismanaged the nation, this Government more so than Mays.

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

We can see what is happening in France, Spain etc by example who 'opened up' earlier and the virus is exploding there again.

We are following the same trajectory - a few weeks behind but taking few measures to really get on top of it and keep it low / negligible. Whatever France etc was doing two weeks ago didn't really work! 

Schools back this week (a must) - All I see is it rapidly getting out of control again needing far more stringent lockdowns than perhaps would of been needed if we had acted earlier. Sad to say but I think indoor pubs / restaurants / eat to get Covid was a disaster.

It’s going to be a very hard long winter I’m afraid, I really struggle with those that seem to think this is going away.

Edited by Van wink

10 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

That is the difference. Tory supporters believe their party is righteous and makes the correct decisions for the country. 

That is clearly not happening with this Government. Leave alone judging their politics but just study how they have mismanaged the nation, this Government more so than Mays.

Whatever your politics, I think the politicians in the May government had greater depth, if that is the right way to say it 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

Whatever your politics, I think the politicians in the May government had greater depth, if that is the right way to say it 

Who would of thought we'd all wish May was back!

May's government had ministers who would call a spade a spade.

Sadly with Johnson's they've all been thrown out of the 'Tory' party. It's now just a party / government of yes men and women. The lowest common denominator.

Reminds me a bit like Stalin in WW2 -  he had 'purged' most or all of his generals that didn't agree with him - all the competent ones - and it took much later for new competent ones to arrive (Popov etc). Funny how history graduates never learn the real lessons.

11 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Who would of thought we'd all wish May was back!

May's government had ministers who would call a spade a spade.

Sadly with Johnson's they've all been thrown out of the 'Tory' party. It's now just a party / government of yes men and women. The lowest common denominator.

Reminds me a bit like Stalin in WW2 -  he had 'purged' most or all of his generals that didn't agree with him - all the competent ones - and it took much later for new competent ones to arrive (Popov etc). Funny how history graduates never learn the real lessons.

I recall this fella getting the chop when to all accounts he was very competent

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/feb/13/irish-pm-says-sacked-northern-ireland-secretary-julian-smith-one-of-britains-finest?

Seems he was too hard working, decent bloke and maybe too conscientious.

Edited by sonyc

2 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

Is that the “explosion” of 25 deaths a day in Spain and the same number of deaths in France as they’ve been recording since the start of June? Or the “explosion” of deaths in the Uk perhaps?

We’ve seen here and on the continent that small outbreaks are contained and managed well. We clearly have learnt a lot and suggestions otherwise are just nonsense. 

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

Paxman on on what we've learned from the crisis.

I'm not left wing and have no problem with a reasonable tory government but any decent honsest reasonable intelligent person must see that this brexit government is completely incompetent and should want them out. Time for decent tories to push for a decent tory government before more lives and jobs are unnecesarrily lost. 

6 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Is that the “explosion” of 25 deaths a day in Spain and the same number of deaths in France as they’ve been recording since the start of June? Or the “explosion” of deaths in the Uk perhaps?

We’ve seen here and on the continent that small outbreaks are contained and managed well. We clearly have learnt a lot and suggestions otherwise are just nonsense. 

I believe too that there has been learning and outbreaks do appear to being managed. Secondly, the government is using local / regional infrastructures better. My question originally though was the remark made by Hancock about the country going into a second nationwide lockdown if necessary. I was asking really whether that could possibly happen again. My (admittedly amateur) view at present is that would not be the way to handle it. For the reason that local restrictions appear to have had effect. So I was surprised at Hancock's statement. 

10 minutes ago, Aggy said:

True deaths have not risen with cases. So, whilst any deaths is regrettable France, Spain etc might have stumbled into a good thing of immunity growing with low loss. 

However, do we know this will hold true in the autumn and winter? I'm more and more convinced that there is a seasonal severity effect so don't relish the idea of hitting  November with growing caseloads.

• Like 1

What the MSN does tell you sheeple:

Which countries in Europe have the fewest new cases per capita?

Country Cases per 100,000 (Aug 21-27)
UK 11.4
Spain 89.7
Italy 12
Germany 11.1
France 43.7
Sweden 16.4
Belgium 17.8
Netherlands 20.9
Portugal 15.4
Romania 41.7
Poland 13.7