Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

And for those who doubt which party wants to slowly privatise the NHS

"The government is using the coronavirus pandemic to transfer key public health duties from the NHS and other state bodies to the private sector without proper scrutiny, critics have warned.

Doctors, campaign groups, academics and MPs raised the concerns about a “power grab” after it emerged on Monday that Serco was in pole position to win a deal to supply 15,000 call-handlers for the government’s tracking and tracing operation."

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/may/04/uk-government-using-crisis-to-transfer-nhs-duties-to-private-sector?fbclid=IwAR2gheJJudPYJnpGvTvDA9-WOU_3S0qC4tYSvl-vP3OB9CaZAC_RzNA-5SE

8 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

What will be interesting will be the clamour to defend China. I think we can all tell who will rush to defend the horrendous Chinese regime, who even now is state backing hackers to attack the NHS and vaccine research facilities.

The dependence on China has only just begun for some.

Unfortunately Buh it’s required or the next 10 years will be far worse than any virus. Careful but firm negotiations to be held and to be honest I’ve been dealing with a few Chinese firms in the last few years, they’re very fair, very respectful and very good.

Edited by Indy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

And for those who doubt which party wants to slowly privatise the NHS

"The government is using the coronavirus pandemic to transfer key public health duties from the NHS and other state bodies to the private sector without proper scrutiny, critics have warned.

Doctors, campaign groups, academics and MPs raised the concerns about a “power grab” after it emerged on Monday that Serco was in pole position to win a deal to supply 15,000 call-handlers for the government’s tracking and tracing operation."

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/may/04/uk-government-using-crisis-to-transfer-nhs-duties-to-private-sector?fbclid=IwAR2gheJJudPYJnpGvTvDA9-WOU_3S0qC4tYSvl-vP3OB9CaZAC_RzNA-5SE

It’s a call centre...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

It’s a call centre...

or

"Allyson Pollock, the director of the Newcastle University Centre for Excellence in Regulatory Science, said tasks including testing, contact tracing and purchasing should be handled through regional authorities rather than central government.

“We are beginning to see the construction of parallel structures, having eviscerated the old ones,” she said. “I don’t think this is anything new, it just seems to be accelerated under Matt Hancock. These structures are completely divorced from local residents, local health services and local communities.”"

the creep continues

Just now, Bill said:

or

"Allyson Pollock, the director of the Newcastle University Centre for Excellence in Regulatory Science, said tasks including testing, contact tracing and purchasing should be handled through regional authorities rather than central government.

“We are beginning to see the construction of parallel structures, having eviscerated the old ones,” she said. “I don’t think this is anything new, it just seems to be accelerated under Matt Hancock. These structures are completely divorced from local residents, local health services and local communities.”"

the creep continues

Can the public sector provide that number of call centre staff in the time required is the question you need to ask

1 minute ago, The Real Buh said:

We will definitely be reducing reliance on China. It’s inevitable. They are a dangerous, horrendous drive me that have been coddled and handled with kid gloves by corporations for financial gain. Time to squeeze them.

I think you’re harsh on a society only 10 years into melting away from long term communism, slowly turning to westernisation. The people are fantastic, those rural areas and old ways like the live markets will change.

Lets not forget Spain and France hold open fresh livestock markets to the general public and only recent restrictions have stopped the sale of very dodgy food groups.

Its a cultural thing which like the rest of the Far East is slowly changing. Support it’s firm negotiating we need they’re economy to eat up our exports, can’t afford not to, but we also need to remember lot of nice people there, just normal like me and you.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Can the public sector provide that number of call centre staff in the time required is the question you need to ask

you clearly have not read the article

1 minute ago, Indy said:

I think you’re harsh on a society only 10 years into melting away from long term communism, slowly turning to westernisation. The people are fantastic, those rural areas and old ways like the live markets will change.

Lets not forget Spain and France hold open fresh livestock markets to the general public and only recent restrictions have stopped the sale of very dodgy food groups.

Its a cultural thing which like the rest of the Far East is slowly changing. Support it’s firm negotiating we need they’re economy to eat up our exports, can’t afford not to, but we also need to remember lot of nice people there, just normal like me and you.

Lots and lots and lots of people.

Too many people

Theres a resource war coming

37 minutes ago, Bill said:

you clearly have not read the article

Are you saying that the public sector can resource and train 15,000 call centre workers in the short time scale?

Edited by The Real Buh

gazes at tea leaves

693 deaths

I wonder what this means for the soothsayers ?

1 hour ago, Essjayess said:

Graphs, statitics...i was for quite a while using the same  things...but more than one poster  replied  me saying they are "utterly pointless"...so i stopped wasting my time and just use them personally for myself now.

There is a select clique of posters in this topic who seem to think  statitics and graphs are pointless, but yet happy to consistently do nothing but find failings in a government thats dealing with a pandemic.

You miss an important point. The government is expending significant effort covering it's ****. Effort that would be better spent on dealing with the a pandemic. As such we have already seen Hancock's repeated mendacity over testing numbers. To cover for the fact the government missed a target he set. A target that was totally arbitrary, had no real significance or strategic importance. But it sounded good on the 5 o'clock briefing. Next, and suddenly, the graph of international comparisons that was useful earlier, when the UK figure was lower than other nations. Now they try and claim it is invalid, or the UK is figure is higher because we are world leaders in statistics, i.e. our figures are higher because we are better than counting. Except for a long time the only count was those who died in hospital with a diagnosis. Now they are caught out it is clear that there is a crisis in care homes that wasn't dealt with because the government wasn't publishing the figures.

So statistics and graphs are not pointless, but make sure you understand what the point is.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BigFish said:

So statistics and graphs are not pointless, but make sure you understand what the point is.

I guess the real value in the statistics will come when we are the other side of a vaccine.   For all we know even germany might only be holding back aand delaying an inevitable tide.

9 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

I guess the real value in the statistics will come when we are the other side of a vaccine.   For all we know even germany might only be holding back aand delaying an inevitable tide.

The only statistic I'm interested in is the one that says more people have died here than in Italy - and we had at least two weeks warning. That is called government incompetence, however you measure it and whatever graph you use.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Essjayess said:

Graphs, statitics...i was for quite a while using the same  things...but more than one poster  replied  me saying they are "utterly pointless"...so i stopped wasting my time and just use them personally for myself now.

There is a select clique of posters in this topic who seem to think  statitics and graphs are pointless, but yet happy to consistently do nothing but find failings in a government thats dealing with a pandemic.

failings that so many other governments have not had - nor I suspect tried to lie their way out of either

Hancock's fiddled test number, Johnson boasting about shaking hands after medical warnings not to and the all too obvious PPE shortages

those are the undeniable evidence of failings - simply posting up astral charts and palm readings are not given that there is very little in the way of a control to measure them against

So we should just ignore R and the deaths? Really.? Statistics are vital to controlling the epedimic as much as those who don’t understand them and don’t like because them they don’t like what they are saying so desperately try to dismiss them. These epedimic is being managed based on statistics.

We know that Germany plans to reopen this month but we also know has got the test trace capacity to manage this going forward which the UK is still sorting out. So we know they are not on a wave of an epidemic. Ricardo Said they were following the same curve as elsewhere. What the apologists really mean is that the statistics reflect very  badly on the Govt policies and those that supported them so they glibly try to gloss over the UK having one of the worst death rates despite  having more warning than other countries. 

RAabs admission we that we have learnt the importance of essential workers must really stick in the throat of the hard right racists who want to exclude these people. Np sign of them following Raabs lead though. 

Edited by T

Another thing that’s clear is we are incapable of an effective lockdown as a society. It was being broken all over the place. The powers South Korea have over their people are... shocking, to say the least, and Germans are renowned for their blind obedience and adherence to rules (they love a rule) so riddled with the guilt of their horrendous past. I wonder how we would have done in a proper “martial law” army in the streets style lockdown? I suspect not well.

We don’t follow rules, the lockdown has been over for weeks now. 

2 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

Another thing that’s clear is we are incapable of an effective lockdown as a society. It was being broken all over the place. The powers South Korea have over their people are... shocking, to say the least, and Germans are renowned for their blind obedience and adherence to rules (they love a rule) so riddled with the guilt of their horrendous past. I wonder how we would have done in a proper “martial law” army in the streets style lockdown? I suspect not well.

We don’t follow rules, the lockdown has been over for weeks now. 

getting really desperate now

I wonder who will be daft enough to bite

Just now, Bill said:

getting really desperate now

I wonder who will be daft enough to bite

You were, congrats Einstein.

Im right about the Germans though and you know it.

”You vill follow ze rules!”

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Is mine the only household think these briefings are a waste of time without Johnson?

Our household thinks that they are a waste of time both with or without Johnson.

Surely the whole point of the briefings is to give us facts and advice and they have to be open and honest otherwise it's pointless, and they have been neither of those things.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JF said:

So there’s a job going advising the government if anyone fancies it? I gather from the posts on here that there are posters that are probably over qualified for the role....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/05/exclusive-government-scientist-neil-ferguson-resigns-breaking/amp/

A statistician  should have known the odds of getting away with it were rather poor😀

5 minutes ago, JF said:

So there’s a job going advising the government if anyone fancies it? I gather from the posts on here that there are posters that are probably over qualified for the role....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/05/exclusive-government-scientist-neil-ferguson-resigns-breaking/amp/

anyone advising this government would be over qualified

Just now, Bill said:

anyone advising this government would be over qualified

Let’s get Jezza and his David Icke brother in, he knows everything, right?

26 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

The only statistic I'm interested in is the one that says more people have died here than in Italy - and we had at least two weeks warning. That is called government incompetence, however you measure it and whatever graph you use.

Our population is larger though, so our deaths per 1 million people still far lower. 

Just now, wcorkcanary said:

Have you ever been to Germany Buho?

Too many times you wouldn’t believe. Excellent engineers, Lovely people, lovely beer.

It would be great to be up against one of the rightys on here, with them as defence counsel

"M'lud I contend that my client is innocent of all charges, on the basis that the prosecution has evidence that he is, and persists putting that evidence to the jury "

Edited by Bill

1 minute ago, The Real Buh said:

Too many times you wouldn’t believe. Excellent engineers, Lovely people, lovely beer.

You're right,  I dont believe you. 

31 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

You were, congrats Einstein.

Im right about the Germans though and you know it.

”You vill follow ze rules!”

Of course he was because he is you!