Jump to content

Recommended Posts

We can confirm Nelson Oliveira has left Norwich City and joined Greek side AEK Athens on a permanent basis. #ncfc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An earthquake in Athens then hours later Nelson turns up. A premonition.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I've seen a comment on Facebook from a Greek guy that said €1.2m. Incredible business if true.

I should think he knows his marbles

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I've seen a comment on Facebook from a Greek guy that said €1.2m. Incredible business if true.

The Greek press were saying that AEK had offered Nelson a €1.2m a year contract - so that might be where that number has come from. 

Nelson would be on almost double that at Norwich. I’d heard he was prepared to take a wage cut, but suspect he wouldn’t take that big a cut. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The Greek press were saying that AEK had offered Nelson a €1.2m a year contract - so that might be where that number has come from. 

Nelson would be on almost double that at Norwich. I’d heard he was prepared to take a wage cut, but suspect he wouldn’t take that big a cut. 

That would make sense as to where the number comes from because I'd be very surprised if that was the fee.

Was Nelson really on £2m a year at Norwich, though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

That would make sense as to where the number comes from because I'd be very surprised if that was the fee.

Was Nelson really on £2m a year at Norwich, though?

That’s £40K a week isn’t it? 😮 I wonder if that’s just because of promotion. He couldn’t have been on that much in the Championship surely?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last of the previous regimes headline miscalculations finally off our pay roll, phew.

Only self made issues left now! With Franke gone it leaves Marshall and Husband as surplus to requirements, both must have been minor financial risks compared to what preceded them though so it does now feel like we have properly cleared the decks.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

That would make sense as to where the number comes from because I'd be very surprised if that was the fee.

Was Nelson really on £2m a year at Norwich, though?

He was on a big deal at Norwich and would  have got a sizeable increase due to promotion. 

Probably wouldn’t be £2m a year in fairness (I keep forgetting a Euro and a pound are worth about the same now). 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ron obvious said:

Does that mean we don't have to contribute his wages? I wonder if we got a fee.

 

If he’s gone on a permanent transfer then he’s off the wage bill full stop. If we didn’t get a fee we’ll still be saving a big wodge on his wages.

He’s clearly not right in the head and AEK must be off theirs signing him.

Good riddance...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Van wink said:

I should think he knows his marbles

If they gave us money for NO we should let the Greeks have their marbles. Only fair 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
Oops
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck to him, plainly a nice guy by all reports and after that viscious injury....and the fact he scored for Reading against the binners, he deserves to find a club that suits him and where he can be the kind of player he wants to be.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

If he’s gone on a permanent transfer then he’s off the wage bill full stop. If we didn’t get a fee we’ll still be saving a big wodge on his wages.

He’s clearly not right in the head and AEK must be off theirs signing him.

Good riddance...

Not according to some on here who believe that every time we sell a player we have to carry on paying them for the duration of their contracts. 

On that basis if we don't stay up we'll be going out of business with all the new long term contracts we've been handing out. 

Maybe Webber is a closet binner and is trying to destroy us from within 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

If he’s gone on a permanent transfer then he’s off the wage bill full stop. If we didn’t get a fee we’ll still be saving a big wodge on his wages.

He’s clearly not right in the head and AEK must be off theirs signing him.

Good riddance...

Plenty of permanent transfers see the previous club continuing to pay some of the player’s wages. 

Edited by Bethnal Yellow and Green
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Good luck to him, plainly a nice guy by all reports and after that viscious injury....and the fact he scored for Reading against the binners, he deserves to find a club that suits him and where he can be the kind of player he wants to be.

 

Looks like he's in for a long wait then.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Loans yes, permanent not at this level 

It’s actually not that uncommon. Especially when Prem clubs are selling to European leagues that can’t compete on wages. 

It will save Norwich money and move on a player who wasn’t going to get any minutes, so it is a win - win situation for all involved. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ridiculous really when you consider Nelson’s talent. He could have been a star striker for us!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Ridiculous really when you consider Nelson’s talent. He could have been a star striker for us!

Agree. He scored some wonderful goals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems the lot of all professional football clubs to have one or two players on their books who,for one reason or another, do not provide value for money and become a drain on resources with little in return.

Whether it be through perpetual injury, bad signing, bad apple, bad fit or whatever they all have them and it seems that the higher the club is up the hierarchy the more expensive these mistakes are.

In this respect City are absolutely no exception. Close to home agent Adeyemi cost the binners a lot (relatively) whilst hardly kicking a ball in anger in two expensive seasons; and they have had a few others in recent times a dilemna which can prove decisive when there are limited funds to spend on wages and fees.

There always seems to several far more high profile and far more expensive "flops" within the game than our own, Naismith, Jarvis and Oliveira, 'culprits' ever were.

Hopefully our current regime will continue to be able to keep them to a minimum and if a Husband or a Marshall prove to be the limit of mistakes made then we won't be doing so badly after all in the grand scheme of things.

Also, for every Carl Cort there is often a Grant Holt, for every Sammy Clingan there seems to be a Wes Hoolahan and for £8m Rikki Van Wolfswinkle as our lead striker now read a "free" Teemu Pukki.

Swings and roundabouts. Some you win, some you lose. All's well that ends ..... 

 

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Also, for every Carl Cort there is often a Grant Holt, for every Sammy Clingan there seems to be a Wes Hoolahan and for £8m Rikki Van Wolfswinkle as our lead striker now read a "free" Teemu Pukki.

 

Clingan seems totally out of place here. We signed him on a free, he had a great season (as an individual- he was our best player by a distance for me that year, despite Croft winning POTS) and then we sold him on after got relegated and made a nice profit on him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Clingan seems totally out of place here. We signed him on a free, he had a great season (as an individual- he was our best player by a distance for me that year, despite Croft winning POTS) and then we sold him on after got relegated and made a nice profit on him.

For Clingan read Fotheringham then, along with quite a few others ..... Jason Jarrett anybody?

Actually I don't recall Sammy Clingan quite so fondly. I do remember having high hopes of him when he signed, but he came and went very quickly.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Ridiculous really when you consider Nelson’s talent. He could have been a star striker for us!

Maybe his talent has been slightly overplayed. Certainly in retrospect he only had a very good half season with us, the rest average.

Only Reading who were half battling relegation took him on loan last season.

And now hes at AEK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hogesar said:

Maybe his talent has been slightly overplayed. Certainly in retrospect he only had a very good half season with us, the rest average.

Only Reading who were half battling relegation took him on loan last season.

And now hes at AEK.

I’m not so sure, C - by the same token, I don’t think we saw the most of his talent to be honest. At the end of the day, he’s had his fair share of caps for Portugal, and you don’t get to play upfront for them unless you’re a very good footballer. He didn’t handle his behaviour well in the Fulham game, it was a very foolish thing to do in the heat of the moment, and ultimately cost him here big time, but I wish him well at AEK. A bit gutted we never really saw the best of him, but he was still 10x the player RVW or Naismith was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...