Sign in to follow this  
Norwich  R  Us

Villa - 5th Place and Nothing to Play For

The only team that "deserves" to win the title is the team that finishes top of the league.

Stoke away will be a tough game for Sheffield Utd as will Villa away for us. If they win and we lose, then they deserve the title.

3 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Injuries are less likely to happen if somebodies off the pitch rather than on it....I would have said that's a proven fact

If he plays can we put someone on as substitute, like Passlack, in the 89th minute with the sole purpose of stamping on Tyrone Mings' face?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Most teams about to go into the play offs don’t rest players as momentum is so important. Slip up in the first leg of the semi and you have lost your chance. 

I think Villa will put out a strong team, although a slight eye on the next game i.e McGinn’s yellow card situation. 

Given that the Norwich players seems to have been on a two night bender after the Blackburn game I can’t see Norwich having that much of an advantage going into the match. 

Villa will eager for a moral boosting win and certainly won’t be holding back. 

Absolutely right. My reply to the OP really was because of his topic title, 5th place and nothing to play for...i could not disagree more. Just hope thou that we get none of the craziness that happened in the Leeds-Villa game. Anycase City have experienced promotion before as runners up, champions and play off winners, promotion is great always, no matter what shape or form it ends up as.

I've no doubt that our players will be turning up in Birmingham fully intent on clinching the title in style. Knowing Villa, they will do their utmost to spoil that, regardless of their own requirements: worth remembering that they still relegated us from the Premier League some years back when we were desperate for points and they should have been on the beach in principle. 

Ultimately, if our players put on their best then Villa won't be able to stop them though. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

16 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Our lads will be relaxed and confident, Villa won’t touch the ball 

It may not have been what you meant, but this popped to my mind...

• Like 1

On 29/04/2019 at 09:20, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Most teams about to go into the play offs don’t rest players as momentum is so important. Slip up in the first leg of the semi and you have lost your chance.

Huddersfield controversially put out their reserves for the final two games in 2017 and they ended up winning the Playoffs. Giving the first team a couple of weeks off after a long season helped recharge the batteries.

On 28/04/2019 at 20:03, ......and Smith must score. said:

Yes, that 1-4 Carrow Rd reverse in 1975 wasn't one of our better nights

exactly 44 years ago to the day

as to this nonsense

" couldn't give a rats about a meaningless title tbh "

what world are you living in ?

• Like 1

this thing about us being the best team.... we're undoubtedly the most entertaining and have the best quality so it's hard to argue we don't deserve to win it, but we'll only be the best team if we win the league.     We have conceded significantly more goals than the Blades however and defending is a fundamental part of the game.    The best team comes first.  

As a yellow, how can you not be fussed about winning the league, of course its important.   OTBC.

Edited by ged in the onion bag

I’d love us to win it. Firstly, I think the players deserve it. Secondly...I’m pretty sure that would be our second engravement on the trophy. 

• Like 1

On 29/04/2019 at 08:20, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I think Villa will put out a strong team, although a slight eye on the next game i.e McGinn’s yellow card situation. 

Given that the Norwich players seems to have been on a two night bender after the Blackburn game I can’t see Norwich having that much of an advantage going into the match. 

Villa will eager for a moral boosting win and certainly won’t be holding back. 

We rested several ahead of the scum playoff semi. Last game of the season vs Fulham - Dorrans, Howson, Jerome, Ryan Bennett etc were all rested (unless I'm forgetting some injuries). 

If I have understood this, 10 of the outfielders in Aston Villa's 18-man squad against Leeds United have to be in their squad named to play us. That still allows for a good deal of resting, if Villa want to, by relegating starters to the bench. Seemingly McGinm, for one, will definitely not be picked.

8 hours ago, Bill said:

exactly 44 years ago to the day

as to this nonsense

" couldn't give a rats about a meaningless title tbh "

what world are you living in ?

A world where promotion is king and the Championship title does not mean all that much. My concerns have been about promotion, now that is achieved, it would be "nice" to win it, but not the gut bust for promotion. When even the coach describes it as "a cherry on top", you know the title is hardly the most important thing to him, this team or it's fans.

I cannot think of any other situation (barring the leagues below us, I guess), where finishing second is literally as good as finishing first in terms of financial reward, fan excitement and the end goal of any team in this division (i.e. promotion). I would wager few teams in this league start out thinking we have to win the title, they are focused on promotion - top 2.

14 minutes ago, CanaryChris said:

A world where promotion is king and the Championship title does not mean all that much. My concerns have been about promotion, now that is achieved, it would be "nice" to win it, but not the gut bust for promotion. When even the coach describes it as "a cherry on top", you know the title is hardly the most important thing to him, this team or it's fans.

I cannot think of any other situation (barring the leagues below us, I guess), where finishing second is literally as good as finishing first in terms of financial reward, fan excitement and the end goal of any team in this division (i.e. promotion). I would wager few teams in this league start out thinking we have to win the title, they are focused on promotion - top 2.

Maybe it's a generational thing? 🤔

Do CVs count for much more nowadays if they mention successful promotions instead of trophies won.

In my mind, I would rather have 'Champions' on mine than 'Runners-up' or 'Promoted'

I for one would like us to win the trophy - we deserve it for our unbelievable run since Christmas.  Plus it's an iconic trophy for someone who grew up watching the great sides of the 70s and 80s lifting it.

I’m sure players and management want to win the title, but if they come out and say so in any particularly big way then they end up looking a bit foolish if they lose. 

Ultimately all the players and coaches contracts will have bonuses related to promotion and none related to winning the title and it doesn’t really make any difference to their ‘CVs’ which really aren’t that much of a thing in football anyway. 

A quiet draw suits both teams in this game, and while that often leads to the exact opposite happening I wouldn’t be surprised if a rather boring 0-0 occurs. 

Finance so important in the modern game, but still think there’s room for sporting attitude (do your best to win, be 1st, etc.) in sport.

With all of Webbers talk of wanting hungry players who are used to, and always want to win. I think he and Farke will be  disappointed if we end up in second this year.

I for one hope the players go all out for the title on Sunday. The mental effect of going up as champions is not insignificant.

Villa will certainly rest a few - but those that come in will want to show what they can do going into the playoffs. Villa have a squad with good depth and whichever team they put out, it will be a test.

The title is all important, and I don't see how some on here are making out as if going for that title somehow hinders promotion.

They both come from picking up as many points as possible.

And the idea that we are now this close but should 'relax' and accept runners up spot is beyond absurdity. Just as an open top bus parade is ,with nothing but being runners up.

As to the money side then what is the purpose of that if not to win something rather than just clinging on in the PL ?

We may not come this close to a 'bit of silver' for a while...we need to win this one.

Failing to win the title tarnishes what has been a special season, but don't be downhearted I expect a victory as we are the best team in the div. Certainly will not be 0-0 Pukki to notch a couple at least.

A week or so ago, I was arguing that promotion was the priority, now that has been achieved, we want the title, one game at a time and all that. 

I genuinely do not care if we win the title. If we do that is great - the team definitely deserve it and yes absolutely I would prefer to go up as champions.

But if we don't I won't be disappointed. We achieved something that we all thought was next to impossible at the beginning of the season and utterly impossible in September. 

Yes, the silverware is nice, but we won't be talking about it in years to come - only the promotion. Heck there are threads on here that compare "promotion winning teams" over the last 15 years, which includes a title winning team, an automatic and a playoff - all are talked about in the same breath and so they should be as all were great teams. Also worth pointing out that during that time we won the League 1 title, and nobody talks about that.

Summary - nice to win it, hope we win it, no fussed if we don't it does not tarnish the season at all if we don't.