Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

7 hours ago, paul moy said:

Boost for the UK..... One in five companies have diverted business from EU in favour of global business since 2016. UK exports have performed strongly, and last year we were the only top 10 exporting nation to see its overseas sales increase :

' BRITISH exporters are already severing ties with the EU in favour of alternative markets elsewhere in the world in line with Boris Johnson's Global Britain vision, new research has indicated.

With less than a month to go before the end of the Brexit transition period, EU negotiator Michel Barnier and UK counterpart Lord David Frost are working feverishly to try and thrash out a trade deal. However, with such an agreement hanging in the balance, the study - undertaken by Lloyds Bank and Aston Business School - indicates nearly one in five companies which export goods overseas has diverted business away from the EU since the 2016 referendum result.

The research also indicates that firms are actively looking for new export markets as a result of the UK leaving the EU.

Exports worth an estimated £50billion have been diverted since June 2016, according to the report, based on an analysis of 340,000 quarterly export transactions made by a total of 26,000 UK exporters.

Over the course of the last five years, growth in export values towards EU countries have fallen by an average of 8.7 percent a year, the report added.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1367654/brexit-news-exports-global-britain-trade-deal-eu-japan-canada-michel-barnier-david-frost

OECD: UK economic recovery will lag behind all rivals bar Argentina | Business | The Guardian

"OECD: UK economic recovery will lag behind all rivals bar Argentina"

"The UK’s economic recovery from the coronavirus pandemic will lag behind every other major economy apart from Argentina, according to the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development"

"In its latest economic outlook report, the Paris-based organisation said it expected the UK economy to contract by 11.2% this year, compared with the 10.1% fall in GDP it was forecasting in September. The OECD also sharply downgraded its forecasts for UK growth next year, to 4.2% from 7.6% three months ago."

"In an assessment of the UK that warned the country was at a “critical juncture”, the OECD said there was a double threat to growth from the second Covid wave and Brexit, with less than a month before the EU transition period expires at the end of December.

"Urging both sides to reach an agreement, it said a deal was essential for economic prosperity, and that failure was among the large downside risks to its forecasts. “The failure to conclude a trade deal with the European Union by the end of 2020 would entail serious additional economic disturbances in the short term and have a strongly negative effect on trade, productivity and jobs in the longer term,” it said."

UK's economic recovery from Covid is expected to lag behind most OECD nations

China 10.3

US 9.9

Russia 9.8

World 9.4

South Korea 8.4

Australia -0.3

Japan -1.3

Germany -1.7

Canada -2.1

France -2.3

Euro area -3.0

India -3.3

Italy -3.9

Mexico -4.3

UK -6.4

Argentina -8.0

Edited by horsefly

Rumours are that the government is going to reinsert the dodgy clauses to the IM bill which seems like a dangerous and/or stupid way to end up with no deal. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Herman said:

Rumours are that the government is going to reinsert the dodgy clauses to the IM bill which seems like a dangerous and/or stupid way to end up with no deal. 

If they do it will guarantee no deal and the OECD forecast tells as what to expect as a result.

2 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

What he actually said was:

a) It has nothing to do with Brexit so Hancock's statement was, as usual for this Government, a complete lie - the UK has approved this under the EU rules which are still in force until the end of this month, so Brexit is completely irrelevant.

b) We haven't 'beaten' them to granting approval, we have simply taken a shortcut which in their opinion is unwise - the German government (and probably other EU governments, as any individual government could have taken the same approach as we did) considered a fast track approach and rejected it in the interests of ensuring its safety as far as possible.

Given that in the UK (and elsewhere) we have a significant problem in that there is a considerable proportion of the people who are sceptical about the vaccines and apparently quite a number who will refuse to take them - the rest of us may think they are  crackers but their views still have consequences for us all.

Even prior to the approval there was considerable concern amongst the scientists over whether a sufficient proportion of the population would ever take up the vaccine in order for us to achieve the 'herd immunity' which is hoped for.

So in that context any Government with a collective couple of brain cells to rub together would almost certainly decide that doing, and be seen to do, a very thorough approval was more important than getting a handful of people vaccinated before Christmas.

However, as always with our useless bunch of chancers the only thing they ever consider is the presentation and never the substance.

Yes. Who to believe - the highly credentialled and world-renowned Dr Anthony Fauci  or former fireplace salesman Gavin Williamson...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So there was a major breakthrough last night when the EU & UK negotiating team agreed on something.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9013617/UK-makes-concessions-fishing-hopes-Brexit-trade-deal-grow.html

A large stack of pizza boxes was delivered to the two negotiating teams as talks dragged on and they tried to break the deadlock on crunch issues

They agreed on what type of pizza to order and more importantly they also agreed that hot pineapple on a Hawaiian Pizza was definitely an abomination. 😀

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, horsefly said:

If they do it will guarantee no deal and the OECD forecast tells as what to expect as a result.

I would expect full sovereignty which is what we voted for. 

More "great" news:

Tesco warns government over Brexit's 'biggest challenge' (msn.com)

Tesco's new chief executive has told Sky News the UK's largest retailer still lacks clarity from the government on the movement of goods following the end of the Brexit transition period.

In an interview with Ian King Live, Ken Murphy said the logistics issue was "the biggest challenge" facing the company at the year's end and he could not rule out the prospect of prices increases to reflect any additional cost increases as a result.

3 minutes ago, paul moy said:

The sort of vague, banal response that I would expect from someone who would rather ignore the destructive reality of business closures, job losses and poverty that a no-deal Brexit would bring. If this happens it will devastate a very large number of people's lives. Glad you think it's worth it.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, paul moy said:

I don't know how many times it has to be pointed out to you that we've always had full sovereignity because it's really a very simple and unambiguous postion.

Well maybe always is a slight exageration but I imagine most historians would agree that since 1534 and Henry VIII's break with Rome we have been a fully sovereign nation and that hasn't changed one iota to this day, and certainly not by our joining, or indeed our departure from, the EU.

That is, of course, a purely English view - many Scots and Irish would take the view that they haven't had full sovereignity for a very long time and most definitely won't be any nearer it on 1st Jan 2021!

A combination of Brexit and the Scottish elections in May will pretty much guarantee a big SNP majority and an inevitable clamour for another referendum on independence. It will be near impossible to deny them this if indeed the SNP do achieve a big majority. Breaking up the UK will be another "great" achievement of Brexit.

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Here is an interesting bloke, John Shirley with some facts about haulage.

And what will the Brexit mob on here say in response to this man who has first hand knowledge? No doubt they will tell him to be more positive.

On 02/12/2020 at 19:28, sonyc said:

Both the FT and The Guardian have stories today roughly on the same lines, that some EU leaders are worried whether Barnier will give too much ground (in fact I would say giving any ground would be too much) on UK guarantees of over level playing fields etc. The subtext I think is that any negotiator wants to get an agreement, and so in this case Barnier might be tempted to be too trusting. Which would be a fatal mistake with Johnson, as his ex-wives and ex-girlfriends could tell Barnier. And may well even have done...

7 hours ago, horsefly said:

OECD: UK economic recovery will lag behind all rivals bar Argentina | Business | The Guardian

"OECD: UK economic recovery will lag behind all rivals bar Argentina"

"The UK’s economic recovery from the coronavirus pandemic will lag behind every other major economy apart from Argentina, according to the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development"

"In its latest economic outlook report, the Paris-based organisation said it expected the UK economy to contract by 11.2% this year, compared with the 10.1% fall in GDP it was forecasting in September. The OECD also sharply downgraded its forecasts for UK growth next year, to 4.2% from 7.6% three months ago."

"In an assessment of the UK that warned the country was at a “critical juncture”, the OECD said there was a double threat to growth from the second Covid wave and Brexit, with less than a month before the EU transition period expires at the end of December.

"Urging both sides to reach an agreement, it said a deal was essential for economic prosperity, and that failure was among the large downside risks to its forecasts. “The failure to conclude a trade deal with the European Union by the end of 2020 would entail serious additional economic disturbances in the short term and have a strongly negative effect on trade, productivity and jobs in the longer term,” it said."

UK's economic recovery from Covid is expected to lag behind most OECD nations

China 10.3

US 9.9

Russia 9.8

World 9.4

South Korea 8.4

Australia -0.3

Japan -1.3

Germany -1.7

Canada -2.1

France -2.3

Euro area -3.0

India -3.3

Italy -3.9

Mexico -4.3

UK -6.4

Argentina -8.0

Wrong thread, mate

8 hours ago, Surfer said:

Swindon, RTB, Moy and Jools are obviously so dug in to their “Brexit good, EU bad” positions that there is no point arguing anything with them. This Government has shown who they are, incompetent, hypocritical, authoritarian, liars. They may yet deliberately engineered a no deal and blame it on EU “intransigence”, but the piper will be paid one way or another. January will be chaos, and the hard Brexiteers will be held to account. The media has a duty to the nation not to soft peddle any emerging crisis and not promote disinformation from No 10 about why what happens is happening. 

Yep, fingers-crossed for a no-deal, though I suspect Johnson will sell us out.

3 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

I don't know how many times it has to be pointed out to you that we've always had full sovereignity because it's really a very simple and unambiguous postion.

Well maybe always is a slight exageration but I imagine most historians would agree that since 1534 and Henry VIII's break with Rome we have been a fully sovereign nation and that hasn't changed one iota to this day, and certainly not by our joining, or indeed our departure from, the EU.

That is, of course, a purely English view - many Scots and Irish would take the view that they haven't had full sovereignity for a very long time and most definitely won't be any nearer it on 1st Jan 2021!

Unfortunately, a greatly misunderstood view of sovereignty.

4 hours ago, horsefly said:

The sort of vague, banal response that I would expect from someone who would rather ignore the destructive reality of business closures, job losses and poverty that a no-deal Brexit would bring. If this happens it will devastate a very large number of people's lives. Glad you think it's worth it.

A looney lefty lecturing us on business closures, job losses and poverty. Who would have thunk it.

23 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

I'm not sure which bit you're having trouble understanding - sovereignty is a pretty simple concept both in theory and in practice.

Anyway the time for this debate is long past, I would have thought that you and Paul should be spending your time trying to round up a stray unicorn or two before they all vanish altogether in four weeks time. 😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

A looney lefty lecturing us on business closures, job losses and poverty. Who would have thunk it.

Your insights are remarkable. How come you're such a genius?

On 05/02/2020 at 17:25, Rock The Boat said:

What is your argument? I already stated that I believe we will mutually respect EU/UK PDOs as part of our FTA with the EU. Did you not understand that?

or

"Yep, fingers-crossed for a no-deal"

not for the first time hand crank has got his various logins muddled up, and so posts contradictory comments 😆

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bill said:

or

"Yep, fingers-crossed for a no-deal"

not for the first time hand crank has got his various logins muddled up, and so posts contradictory comments 😆

An FTA and a no-deal are not mutually exclusive when there is a temporal element.

Anyway, glad to see you bouncing back so soon,

3 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

An FTA and a no-deal are not mutually exclusive when there is a temporal element.

Anyway, glad to see you bouncing back so soon,

I'm not sure of what I am supposed to have bounced back so soon from - perhaps you know something the rest of us don't 🤔

But I would stop digging if I were you, trying to weasel your way out of being caught out yet again is not good form

Perhaps hand crank could now have a go, given as I am sure he is out there lurking

why not give 'him' a nudge ? 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

Happy page 500 of this! 🎉🎊🥴😵

Hahaha! A good indication of just how well Brexsh*ite has gone

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Oh dear! Did you really mean to support Creative's view of Sovereignty? I suspect you probably didn't. You need to check your understanding and use of the English language mate!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, horsefly said:

Oh dear! Did you really mean to support Creative's view of Sovereignty? I suspect you probably didn't. You need to check your understanding and use of the English language mate!

Cheers, mate!