Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

9 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Absolutely! And could you imagine our country doing trade negotiations with a non-EU country where we say it's absolutely fine for you to undercut all our environmental, social and labour standards so that you can sell your products in the UK at a massive price advantage over our own producers.

Come to think of it I wouldn't put that past the serially incompetent Liz Truss.

aha, you forget that we could then undercut them

so up yours third world, anything you can do we can do cheaper

all the benefits and protections past generations fought for, swept away in a

Arbeit mach frei brexiteer brave new world

Oh dear, another British winner foiled because Mercedes can't put the proper tyres on. Hard luck George Russell.🏁

25 minutes ago, Bill said:

That makes no sense. No one is against the UK being able to enjoy "sense of self-determination." - the EU is merely pointing out that it is incompatible with being a member of the single market and the customs union.

Formula one has certain agreed restrictions on the cars. If you don't't want to abide by them, you don't get to be part of it.

It is that simple.

The standardisations the EU agreed upon (UK included) is not in itself the problem. It is that the UK is saying that it alone can have the rights without the responsibilities. There is no 'bit pregnant. If the UK wants the above 'freedom'then it has to accept that it will trade with the EU as a 'third country'.

I'm not sure why such a simple concept is not understood.

I think it does make sense. Especially if you quoted all of my post because I stated that one of the conditions is being a member. Therefore naturally it IS incompatible. And with that comes lots of other benefits....you cannot pick and choose. Yet, the issue of state aid is a challenging one and one that is worthy of a robust debate in arguing your position. It is worth arguing over whether we are in the EU or outside. Often it's a concept difficult to prove or define with any ease. It's about interpretation. That was my point and I hope you can understand it.

I don't disagree with your points about rights and responsibilities.

2 hours ago, Bill said:

it is clear that you have not the slightest idea about this hence your ability only the bleat out meaningless clichés

so why not explain how the UK is trading with non EU countries currently

The UK has left the EU, and the transition period after Brexit comes to an end this year.

This page tells you what you'll need to do from 1 January 2021. It will be updated if anything changes.

For current information, read: the EU's trade agreement with Japan.

You can also read about the transition period.

15 minutes ago, Herman said:

Fish is sorted by the sounds of it.

The chips were down and Boris had to roe back, was the time and the plaice.

Edited by Van wink

6 minutes ago, Van wink said:

The chips were down and Boris had to roe back, was the time and the plaice.

Any more fish puns and Purple will batter you.

7 minutes ago, Herman said:

If I make any fish puns, let minnow, I'll try to stop it... 

26 minutes ago, Herman said:

Absolutely. I will **** a snoek at any more piscatorial word plays...🤓

Edited by PurpleCanary

9 hours ago, Herman said:

This is a well known phenomenon amongst victims of scams. Rather than admitting to being scammed, with the shame therein, the victims double down in their support of the conmen. 

Pray tell me how I've been scammed by Sir Nigel of Farage? 

45 minutes ago, Herman said:

I wonder if it will be the one that got away?

Fisherman's tales.

14 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Today's FT story is probably the best summary of how things stand. Based on it, my swingometer certainly hasn't not twitched back to the mid-point between Lousy Deal and No-Deal. I would be drummed out of the City if I posted a link etc, but probably the key paragraph is this, which gives the lie to the predictable UK headlines that it is just France that is the problem:

Ms von der Leyen has to contend with a disgruntled group of governments including France, the Netherlands, Denmark, Belgium, Spain and Italy, which have warned Mr Barnier that they will reject any deal that does not contain robust level playing field guarantees to protect their economies from unfair British competition.

Now there was one significant country missing from that list. Germany, which generally has been the keenest to do a deal, not no matter what but perhaps a touch more trustingly. But Berlin seems to have moved into step with France's more hardline (hardline in this context meaning sensible  as opposed to blindly optimistic) stance. From The Guardian:

In an unwelcome development for Boris Johnson France and Germany have instructed the EU’s chief negotiator, Michel Barnier, that they are united on the need for the UK to face consequences over future divergence from the EU rulebook as policy changes.

The EU is proposing that it should have the power to unilaterally hit British exports with tariffs in the event that Whitehall fails to follow Brussels’ upgrades to its regulations. UK sources said that the negotiations would collapse unless that demand was dropped within the next 48 hours.

It always was this and it was always going to come down to this. My swingometer has twitched a touch further into No-Deal territory, but has pointsd out, in a plaintive note, that it cannot be expected to accurately predict the actions of a man who would struggle to enumerate the number of children he has.

8 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Now there was one significant country missing from that list. Germany, which generally has been the keenest to do a deal, not no matter what but perhaps a touch more trustingly. But Berlin seems to have moved into step with France's more hardline (hardline in this context meaning sensible  as opposed to blindly optimistic) stance. From The Guardian:

In an unwelcome development for Boris Johnson France and Germany have instructed the EU’s chief negotiator, Michel Barnier, that they are united on the need for the UK to face consequences over future divergence from the EU rulebook as policy changes.

The EU is proposing that it should have the power to unilaterally hit British exports with tariffs in the event that Whitehall fails to follow Brussels’ upgrades to its regulations. UK sources said that the negotiations would collapse unless that demand was dropped within the next 48 hours.

It always was this and it was always going to come down to this. My swingometer has twitched a touch further into No-Deal territory, but has pointsd out, in a plaintive note, that it cannot be expected to accurately predict the actions of a man who would struggle to enumerate the number of children he has.

Your instinct appears to be a more faithful one than mine (which had hereto been influenced by a compelling logic about the range of very serious  outcomes of no deal at all being achieved). 

36 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Your instinct appears to be a more faithful one than mine (which had hereto been influenced by a compelling logic about the range of very serious  outcomes of no deal at all being achieved). 

To be clear my 'blindly optimistic' was a dig at Merkel rather than you!

2 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

To be clear my 'blindly optimistic' was a dig at Merkel rather than you!

I took that as read Purple and even if it had been, it would not have been a problem either. Optimism is perhaps not the word I had considered for my own position, it is more that it is 'inconceivable' a deal isn't achieved, given the enormous magnitude. Yet as time moves on, I start to think that Johnson isn't half playing a game of brinkmanship (if indeed he is playing a game!) and that feels so reckless.

11 hours ago, Jools said:

Pray tell me how I've been scammed by Sir Nigel of Farage? 

Because you were so gullible that you fell for his con that he was offering independent advice when he was actually working on behalf of a financial services company. So gullible indeed that you posted the following:

Posted November 26

"I was doing well before Sir Nigel's advice and I must say it looks as though I'm going to do even better now...

Sue me."

So, having followed his disatrous advice, are you going to sue him for your losses Jonah?

Johnson has little choice. The nonsense him and the rest of the brexit liars peddled, has been exposed as that.... lies.

Whatever deal is agreed it will not retain the advantages the UK currently enjoys, and the border checks, form filling and general red tape will be a huge cost in time and money.

So at the moment all fatboy can hope for out of the carnage is to retrieve something that suggests that it is not all an horrendous disaster

watch from 8.00 min to see it demonstrated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

The fish puns have to go back on ice. I'm sure they will resurface at a later date. 

SWINDO as an old seawife and bunkmate during his days in the Andrew would rather suck a Fisherman's friend.

4 minutes ago, Herman said:

The fish puns have to go back on ice. I'm sure they will resurface at a later date. 

Thank Cod for that!

1 minute ago, SHRIMPER said:

SWINDO as an old seawife and bunkmate during his days in the Andrew would rather suck a Fisherman's friend.

I was hoping that unAble **** Mouse-Brain would be back to explain why the UK is currently unable to trade with non EU countries as he claims

I bought something that said 'Made in China' yesterday - and it set me wondering if China is really part of the EU now

20 minutes ago, Bill said:

I was hoping that unAble **** Mouse-Brain would be back to explain why the UK is currently unable to trade with non EU countries as he claims

I bought something that said 'Made in China' yesterday - and it set me wondering if China is really part of the EU now

I've already give you the link to Japan saying we will start on 2021 but we have Japanese cars here !

who's the mouse brain now ? 

Edited by SwindonCanary

It seems to me the EU and remoaners have not understood what the UK has asked for. We do not want free access to the EU and all its services. all we wanted was a free trade deal like they have with others. This was never going to be good enough for the EU, they wanted us shackled to them in the hope we will still contribute to their upkeep and they can control how well we do now we have left.

On 06/12/2020 at 10:42, PurpleCanary said:

Today's FT story is probably the best summary of how things stand. Based on it, my swingometer certainly hasn't not twitched back to the mid-point between Lousy Deal and No-Deal. I would be drummed out of the City if I posted a link etc, but probably the key paragraph is this, which gives the lie to the predictable UK headlines that it is just France that is the problem:

Ms von der Leyen has to contend with a disgruntled group of governments including France, the Netherlands, Denmark, Belgium, Spain and Italy, which have warned Mr Barnier that they will reject any deal that does not contain robust level playing field guarantees to protect their economies from unfair British competition.

So the EU member states are scared of British competition. Who woulda thunk it?

On 06/12/2020 at 11:01, Bill said:

As someone prepared to suffer the wrath of the self righteous I will post the link

https://www.ft.com/content/592dd543-3c9c-4a95-9b30-121520f33bce

and state that if naughty folk are so minded they can access this by using the bypass paywalls add on in Firefox

however this does all seem o point to lying on an industrial scale when previously we were told

https://storage.googleapis.com/cdn.thelondoneconomic.com/wpcontent/uploads/2020/10/067f86c6-vt3utpyfybqpdxvs.mp4

"we hold all the cards" if so then why are we talking about 'rolling the dice' - or airlifting in supplies ?

what happened to the supposed 'oven ready deal'....was that merely yet another lie to get themselves elected ?

nothing the UK are now trying to worm out of was not known and warned about before the referendum, and likewise when the WA was signed by the UK

and it still begs the question - who is really the guilty party, those who have spent the last five years lying through their teeth or those who unquestionably supported what were quite blatant lies ?

Whatever happened to Brexit will never happen?

22 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

I don´t know what the rules would be either

However, I know that, according to Industryweek, Trump said about it´s precursor, The TPP....“would be the death blow” for American factories. “It would give up all of our economic leverage to an international commission that would put the interests of foreign countries above our own,” 

In order to get a deal, you have to give something up

Yes, deals are usually compromises. And depending on far one is prepared to compromise is usually the deal-breaker. 

14 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

The UK has left the EU, and the transition period after Brexit comes to an end this year.

This page tells you what you'll need to do from 1 January 2021. It will be updated if anything changes.

For current information, read: the EU's trade agreement with Japan.

You can also read about the transition period.

Clearly you haven't the slightest idea about any of this, as the neither of the above links has any comment about the UK/Japan rollover deal.

You stated on Sat, in regard to NI - REMAINING IN THE EU FOR NOW ! ... whereas the link you posted says the UK has left, NI is part of the UK

To compound that stupidity you earlier claimed

'Can't you see that trading with just the EU is poor, whilst there's a whole world out there to trade with'

Obviously so stupid as to not know that the UK has been trading with the rest of the world for centuries, and if EU trade is so poor how comes it makes up nearly of the UK’s trade and why do you brexit nutters want a deal ?

You really haven't the slightest idea about this or you would not keep posting up links that actually expose you as a liar.