Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

Is it me or are the brexiters getting very desperate for some good news, even if that means that Germans and the French are dying from the plague? Very odd sort of winning. 😀

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

You don't like it, because Britain has vaccinated 11% of the population whilst in German they have only done 0.5 % . The best thing about an independent Nation !

How strange for anyone to think something like that.

If we had vaccinated everyone and Germany none, it wouldn't be a moment to gloat but a moment for the German Government to look to itself just the same as we look to ours for the worst death rate in Europe.

They got that wrong so shame on them but they have got the vaccine right so good on them.

See, it isn't difficult to appraise things on their merits rather than beliefs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Is it me or are the brexiters getting very desperate for some good news, even if that means that Germans and the French are dying from the plague? Very odd sort of winning. 😀

Nope that’s the worrying thing about them Herman, we’re all wanting the best for all and hope that our European family and friends don’t suffer anymore than we do in the UK, yet the bigots appear to be happy that people of other nations are dying! Remind you of a historical event back in 1936....

here we have tweety pie on his knees praying to the rambling thoughts of a hoaxer and City slicker who was the laziest ever MEP in the EU. His preaching of brexit to the fishing community and his false promises of a better life after, was the biggest eyewash lie ever.

Out of 46 meeting of the EU fishing dep. he attended 2. He knows about as much of fishing as a horse does of making coffee.

• Like 1

The requirement to pay VAT up front is causing huge problems for small businesses.  Many are owned by core Brexit voters who feel they were lied to over the deal and are still being lied to about the consequences.  A growing number are faced with the choice of setting up a European base (and cutting back on UK staff) or going bust.

The owner of a packaging business in Ely which employs 37 people said "We celebrated the Brexit deal with champagne over Christmas . . . [then] realised a car crash was happening . . . I just want somebody to admit that Brexit is not about making Britain great again, not about giving us back our sovereignty.  Brexit is about the engine room of Britain investing significantly in Europe". (from the Observer).

Edited by benchwarmer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Nope that’s the worrying thing about them Herman, we’re all wanting the best for all and hope that our European family and friends don’t suffer anymore than we do in the UK, yet the bigots appear to be happy that people of other nations are dying! Remind you of a historical event back in 1936....

I think that it's the posters that had some semblance of humanity that are fully enjoying themselves is the most depressing. Brexit is responsible for some real ugliness. 

I'm just pointing out how much better than we are compared to the EU don't say it's not, coz it is.

You do realise that what you have said here literally means that the EU is better than the UK (in so-far-as it makes any sense at all, which is not very far)

59 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I KNOW YOU LOT DON'T LIKE HIM. BUT LISTEN TO WHAT HE SAYS 

https://youtu.be/2I4q1sRydVM

He is another narcissist like Trump. Nobody votes for him and he can't handle it so gets the only position he can by appointment. Then never hardly bothers going but is certainly taking the pension. In fact, he is a leech.

I KNOW YOU LOT DON'T LIKE HIM. BUT LISTEN TO WHAT HE SAYS 

https://youtu.be/2I4q1sRydVM

Tried, but threw up all over the screen. My ears also started to bleed, a crucifix fell off the wall, and the cat committed suicide.

Edited by horsefly

So Johnson was lying after all

"There is no such thing as a tariff-free trade agreement and in some areas Boris Johnson's Brexit deal grants the UK more restricted access to the EU than Canada"

and as stated by me, there are no punishing EU tariffs to be applied, just

"Rather, tariffs apply unless you comply, and can demonstrate you comply, with rules-of-origin requirements. The threat of tariffs is there although agreement allows us to trade tariff-free and quota-free,"

Where the problem has arisen is that thickos still base their squeaks upon their bigotry and racism rather than fairly simple logic. The EU has the right to determine what  goods are traded with its members. Just as the UK is free to put conditions on any goods imported from China (no Uiger slave labour made goods*) - just as the UK has the right to decide what imports (toys) from China might not be safe.

What Brexit promised was that once no longer a member of the EU the UK could cut production costs by removing costly regulations - wage levels, holiday pay, safety at work, environmental protection etc

The EU politely pointed out that it would not allow goods produced in the UK in that way to be sold in the EU, without a tariff that removed that advantage. The common sense being that each country would simply undercut each other taking each country down to a third world level.

You can easily see why the wealthy would want this, but you would have to be exceedingly thick as an employee to want this.

* https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/14/uk-government-faces-defeat-over-giving-courts-power-to-rule-on-genocide

Edited by Bill
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Herman said:

This is becoming a bit of a spin mantra:

Echoing the current Brexit concerns of many small businesses about red tape and extra charges, Cameron said: “We really thought we’d done our prep and this … we weren’t expecting. So I think for bigger business, it’s fine. But if you’re small, it’s a challenge.”

No, it isn't fine for big business. It is still bad and demonstrably both worse than when the UK was in the EU and worse - much worse - than was promised. Big businesses may be better able than small to adjust and cope to some extent but in no reality can that situation be defined as 'fine'.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

This is becoming a bit of a spin mantra:

Echoing the current Brexit concerns of many small businesses about red tape and extra charges, Cameron said: “We really thought we’d done our prep and this … we weren’t expecting. So I think for bigger business, it’s fine. But if you’re small, it’s a challenge.”

No, it isn't fine for big business. It is still bad and demonstrably both worse than when the UK was in the EU and worse - much worse - than was promised. Big businesses may be better able than small to adjust and cope to some extent but in no reality can that situation be defined as 'fine'.

"Teething issues/problems" is another one that should be ignored. Barring poor preparations by government agencies these are the realities of brexit. This is how it is going to be unless the Taliban see sense or are ousted.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Herman said:

"Teething issues/problems" is another one that should be ignored. Barring poor preparations by government agencies these are the realities of brexit. This is how it is going to be unless the Taliban see sense or are ousted.

I can think of only one practical solution: apply to join the customs union and/or single market.  How humiliating, but I'm afraid we deserve it.  If enough Conservative supporters come to the same conclusion, Boris and his repulsive cohort will be toast.  Won't happen overnight of course.

Edited by benchwarmer

15 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

I can think of only one practical solution: apply to join the customs union and/or single market.  How humiliating, but I'm afraid we deserve it.  If enough Conservative supporters come to the same conclusion, Boris and his repulsive cohort will be toast.  Won't happen overnight of course.

That is the main option, joining EFTA/EEA but the powers that be would have to face down the headbangers. It's a shame May never did this as it could have united most of the country three odd years ago.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Indy said:

image.thumb.jpeg.11e0fd47e7eadc5548d050921b0c861a.jpeg
Think this about sums it up for me!

Seems to me that at the moment they're trying for business as usual and attempting to blame everything on the EU but it is looking increasingly desperate and pathetic - especially since Johnson has now signed two deals, both of them stinkers and both of them in the public domain, so there is no way he can any longer lie his way around the outcomes that are flowing directly from them.

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

You were saying....

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/jan/28/british-business-leaders-warn-of-substantial-difficulties-at-uk-ports

45 minutes ago, Herman said:

That is the main option, joining EFTA/EEA but the powers that be would have to face down the headbangers. It's a shame May never did this as it could have united most of the country three odd years ago.

The difference is the righties can no longer peddle their previous lies. The evidence is all around us.

From Cameron's missus to catching fishes, it is collapsing at quite an alarming pace. Imagine what a year of this will do, never mind a month.

Can anyone see the nutters being listened to when they make further demands that Brexit should be even harder. That more regulation should be introduced, more controls, more costs and red tape ?

Only when the UK gets outside again and tries to pick up the threads will it fully grasp the damage that has been done, and like some computer virus, is continuing to wreck things.

We have seen how so many have rebelled and in so many cases simply ignired COVUD warnings requirements. Can you imagine the reaction when they find out how much of a Soviet bloc country the UK is being pushed towards,

Where once it was freedom and minimal regulation, Brexit UK will be a place of 'can't do that', 'have you filled in the right forms'.

'that will cost you...' a place of righties dreams, and decent folks nightmares

it won't last long as the genie is out if the bottle, too many grown up not knowing this restrictive way of life

and just as the Berlin wall came down so will the Brexit wall come down

yet more mouse brain lies - though I suspect in this case it is more than he has not even listened to the clip, and even if he did he has not the brain to grasp why this cretin is lying

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

So my remoaner friends,  how is the EU vaccine program going  ?     😂😂

The irony is that we were told by 'Project Fear' that we would run out of drugs but the EU has run out of vaccine and we have most of it !!!!    😎

There is a rather sweet waft of karma here............. 

As some MEP commentator from the EU said this week, " this is about the best advert for Brexit "

Even remainer Robert Peston reported that he was beginning to understand what Brexit was about !!!!  🤣

Put the vaccine to one side - this discussion is about the effects of Brexit - and you can’t deflect from the incredible damage your and you’re ilk’s stupidity demanding that is now wreaking on the UK economy. 

Edited by Surfer

Not only is it a sign of desperation to make vaccine procurement a Brexit issue, it's also  a sign of Brexiteers' stupidity, and of their repugnant moral character. Even the least able first-year student knows that the concurrence of events implies NO causal connection. And in this case, the concurrence of Brexit and the procurement of vaccines are clearly NOT causally connected. The UK's early procurement of vaccines accorded entirely with EU regulations and was given no advantage because of Brexit. It may well turn out that the collective EU procurement system screwed up the process, but it remains the FACT that this is a contractual issue and has nothing to do with Brexit.

But if Brexiteers wish to continue in the lie that the concurrence of events (counterfactually) does imply causality then they will have to accept that Brexit is also responsible for the £millions lost in the botched procurement of (often unusable) PPE, and that the EU was far more successful. Also that Brexit was responsible for the £billions lost on a totally botched track and trace system, and that the EU was far more successful. Also that Brexit is responsible for the UK having the highest death toll in europe, and that the EU has been far more successful.

It is, of course, nonsense to claim that Brexit was causally responsible for these failures, which are actually the responsibility of a criminally incompetent government. But this sort of nonsense is precisely where you end up when you enter the disingenous Trumpian world of "alternative facts". 

Edited by horsefly
  • Like 1

The sooner we are all vaccinated the sooner we can bask in the glory that is brexit... 😀

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

Not only is it a sign of desperation to make vaccine procurement a Brexit issue, it's also  a sign of Brexiteers' stupidity, and of their repugnant moral character. Even the least able first-year student knows that the concurrence of events implies NO causal connection. And in this case, the concurrence of Brexit and the procurement of vaccines are clearly NOT causally connected. The UK's early procurement of vaccines accorded entirely with EU regulations and was given no advantage because of Brexit. It may well turn out that the collective EU procurement system screwed up the process, but it remains the FACT that this is a contractual issue and has nothing to do with Brexit.

But if Brexiteers wish to continue in the lie that the concurrence of events (counterfactually) does imply causality then they will have to accept that Brexit is also responsible for the £millions lost in the botched procurement of (often unusable) PPE, and that the EU was far more successful. Also that Brexit was responsible for the £billions lost on a totally botched track and trace system, and that the EU was far more successful. Also that Brexit is responsible for the UK having the highest death toll in europe, and that the EU has been far more successful.

It is, of course, nonsense to claim that Brexit was causally responsible for these failures, which are actually the responsibility of a criminally incompetent government. But this sort of nonsense is precisely where you end up when you enter the disingenous Trumpian world of "alternative facts". 

Only brexiters can taint really good news with their nationalistic horse****. They really are the worst of Britain.

9 hours ago, Bill said:

yet more mouse brain lies - though I suspect in this case it is more than he has not even listened to the clip, and even if he did he has not the brain to grasp why this cretin is lying

explain how I'm telling lies by putting up that clip of MP's getting it all wrong.