Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Team for Pompey

We appear to be running out of fit players so an absolute minimum of first teamers in the line up against Portsmouth. Something like this:

McGovern, Passlack, Hanley, Raggett (lets recall him from Rotherham and have a look at him), Pinto

Trybull, Mclean (assuming he's fit)

Spyrou, Rhodes, Srebeny, + A N other from the youth team. 

Ill have a stab at..

McGovern

Passlack Hanley Zimmerman Pinto

Godfrey    Trybull

Marshall        Srbeny       McLean

Rhodes

4 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Ill have a stab at..

McGovern

Passlack Hanley Zimmerman Pinto

Godfrey    Trybull

Marshall        Srbeny       McLean

Rhodes

I would go:

McGovern

Passlack

Hanley

Godfrey

Pinto

Trybull

MacLean

Marshall

Idah

Srbeny

Rhodes

Husband is technically back with us isn't he? I thought his loan ran out on Dec 31st. Given our needing LB cover especially this week I suspect he'll get a game at left back to see if he's improved any with more regular football; then most likely will be shipped out again before the end of the month.

I'd guess the lineup will be something like 

McGovern (although I hope it's Krul)

Pinto Hanley Godfrey Husband

Trybull
Marshall  McLean  ??U23??
Rhodes Srbeny

Maybe Passlack somehow fitting in there too, not really sure how versatile he is. 

What U23 players are closest to breaking through do we think? Would love to see Idah get his debut as a sub, and if Tettey's out for more than a couple of games we'll need someone to step up to cover either at DM or another backup option in central defence allowing Godfrey to move forward.

McGovern

Pinto             Hanley           Zimmermann      Godfrey

Passlack       McLean           Trybull           Marshall

Rhodes         Srbeny

I agree with others - it would be great to see Idah, Spyrou, Philips etc get a chance from the bench.

Husband is now back with us but is cup tied. Personally I wouldn't risk Godfrey and Rhodes and possibly not Trybull either depending on how Tettey is.

Edited by Capt. Pants

I'd give Zimmermann a rest, has been through it a bit the last few weeks with illness and still having to play in the first team.

McGovern

Passlack Hanley Godfrey Pinto

Marshall   Maclean Trybull Srbeny

Rhodes idah

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

I'd give Zimmermann a rest, has been through it a bit the last few weeks with illness and still having to play in the first team.

McGovern

Passlack Hanley Godfrey Pinto

Marshall   Maclean Trybull Srbeny

Rhodes idah

Srbeny on the left of midfield?!

OK - holding back Rhodes and resting Cantwell, how about this team to beat Portsmouth?

Oxborough

Pinto Hanley Odusina Godfrey

Vrancic Trybull

Marshall McLean Mourgas

Srbeny

Edited by Surfer

15 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Left midfield has long been a strange place in LDC XI's 

Raggett only loaned until January available for Rotherham recently following injury is a possibility at CB.  Others such as Hernandez and Trybull not played much may get more game time.  Farke has fielded strong teams in the cup in past current position hopefully will see prudence in selection and will see a number of strangers.

Pompey will select with similar eye on promotion and may rest better performers. 

1 hour ago, king canary said:
16 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Left midfield has long been a strange place in LDC XI's 

All positions are relative. Srbeny on the left as Pukki played earlier in the season.

Many posters think the team looks tired. So forget the FA Cup, put out a team and tell them to enjoy themselves and don't worry about the result.

I would like to say we shouldn't even risk bench players but I guess they do need some game time.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

All positions are relative. Srbeny on the left as Pukki played earlier in the season.

All positions are relative to the attributes of the players playing in them. Pukki is much more mobile than Srbeny – would be an even worse idea than when we played Lafferty there!

18 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

All positions are relative to the attributes of the players playing in them. Pukki is much more mobile than Srbeny – would be an even worse idea than when we played Lafferty there!

He joins Dorrans and Vrancic in the LDC left wing hall of fame.

1 minute ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

And Zimmerman at left back...

Missed that one.

Anyone can play on the left flank I guess.

Edited by king canary
Typo

As others, I’d treat this game as a one off, we’re in prime position for a push on the premiership, so give all the first team a day off, bring in all the fringe players and those from the youth set up, it’s only a cup game and we certainly have more important games coming up.

I might be tempted to go three at the back, as CB is the least physically demanding position to play in terms of stamina. Something like:

McGovern

Klose Hanley Odusina

Marshall McLean Vrancic Trybull Pinto

Rhodes Srbeny

With any two of Marshall/Pinto/Passlack for the wing-back positions, depending on who Farke prefers to fill in on the left. I know Farke doesn't like two up top, but Srbeny could probably drop back into a 10 role - he's a similar stature to Stiepermann, and you want Rhodes on the shoulder of the last man as he's a natural poacher. Hopefully we'll see a few youngsters on the bench too... Payne, Phillips, Power, Idah?

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:
4 hours ago, lake district canary said:

ll positions are relative. Srbeny on the left as Pukki played earlier in the season.

Maybe, but maybe I think that I have more faith in player's abilities to adapt to different positions. 

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Maybe, but maybe I think that I have more faith in player's abilities to adapt to different positions. 

Some players are more adaptable than others, but a beanpole centre forward struggling for form certainly isn't a natural fit as a left-sided attacking midfielder with the tight pass-and-move style we play. But still, I don't care if we lose 5-0 as long as we don't pick up any more significant injuries!

2 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

I might be tempted to go three at the back, as CB is the least physically demanding position to play in terms of stamina. Something like:

McGovern

Klose Hanley Odusina

Marshall McLean Vrancic Trybull Pinto

Rhodes Srbeny

With any two of Marshall/Pinto/Passlack for the wing-back positions, depending on who Farke prefers to fill in on the left. I know Farke doesn't like two up top, but Srbeny could probably drop back into a 10 role - he's a similar stature to Stiepermann, and you want Rhodes on the shoulder of the last man as he's a natural poacher. Hopefully we'll see a few youngsters on the bench too... Payne, Phillips, Power, Idah?

Yea I like this - could easily see this being the line-up. Maybe removing Klose and playing Marshall and Pinto more as wingbacks and another young CM coming in. Much needed game time for the squad and rest for the full on starters.

Now that we are closer to the game, thought I would resurrect this post.  I am going for:

McGovern

Passlack     Hanley   Odusina   Pinto

Trybull   Godfrey

Marshall     Srbeny       McLean

Rhodes