Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

2 hours ago, sonyc said:

Only came across Billy Stewart about 10 years ago. Heard his version of Summertime (added here) and that was it, I had to hear more. Tragic death at no age of 32 in 1970 when the car he was driving plunged into a river. All 3 band members killed too.

He left a lot of great songs but just 3 selected.

Very underrated, some cracking recordings of him on the Chess label. Siting in the Park is fabulous 

• Like 1

Something that has always fascinated me is, what was classed as the first Rock n Roll track?

There are several contenders, but exactly where R&B stopped and R&R began is anyone's guess

Here's a contender for the title...

Oldsmobile actually gave him one of their Rocket 88's for promoting the car!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

...... Kyle and Jackie O, every morning. Spotify. Good ol Aussie radio. 

Triple J?? 

It would have been Joe Strummer’s 70th birthday today so here is the best song ever written ❤️❤️❤️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

Happy birthday Joe. 

One of their best 👍

In fact I'm gonna list my favourites...in no particular order 

Safe European Home, Complete Control, English Civil War, Janie Jones, Career Opportunities and Tommy Gun.

Controversial, but I've never been a fan of White Man 😮

34 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

One of their best 👍

In fact I'm gonna list my favourites...in no particular order 

Safe European Home, Complete Control, English Civil War, Janie Jones, Career Opportunities and Tommy Gun.

Not controversial. I've gone off it ever since my band started playing it. For a drummer after the first minute or so it's then exactly the same for the rest of the song. It's a bit tedious! 

Was my suggestion as well!

• Like 1

On 10/08/2022 at 17:28, Herman said:

My old man was a good old boy but he had a rubbish taste in music, think James Last, Andre Rieu and the wunderbar Bert Kaempfert. However I did find a good Glenn Campbell album in amongst his collection. These two are solid.

Glen Campbell was an extraordinary musician. He once stood in for Brian Wilson on a Beach Boys tour playing Bass and singing the Wilson lines. And played session guitar for the Rolling Stones among others

On 24/07/2022 at 13:07, kick it off said:

My partner's mum died on Thursday evening, and she was a huge Bruce springsteen fan, so I'm dropping these in as they were her favourites.

Love all those but I must be getting old because Western Stars is a recent favourite. 

If you want to listen to an almost perfect live album try this one 

139128980_Screenshot_20220821-160741_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.f08c8831e39803cf92daa9e254867808.jpg

• Like 3

On 21/08/2022 at 14:22, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Bank robber ?

On 22/08/2022 at 19:55, Wings of a Sparrow said:

This would be another one...

If you’re going to post The Undertones, it has to be this surely? Has a pop record ever better captured what it’s like to be 13? That intro still gets me. ❤️

• Like 2

On 22/08/2022 at 19:48, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Talking of perfect pop songs, I give you this for consideration...

Prefer this one. 

23 hours ago, Herman said:

This is not everyone's cup of tea but I have to say this was immense. Sir Simon Rattle, a massive orchestra, opera singers and two choruses. A long piece so if you have a couple of hours spare......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001bm7m/bbc-proms-2022-sir-simon-rattle-and-the-lso

Thoroughly enjoyed this last night, maybe should be on the nature thread as well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001bnjw/bbc-proms-2022-bbcs-earth-prom-with-chris-packham

Public Sector Broadcasting on at the Proms tonight I have just discovered, on radio 3 I believe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice to see something a bit high brow in here. I'm not massively into classical music but my partner is an elite level cellist. We went to see Sheku Kanneh-Mason (Arguably one of the top 5 cellists ever) who played at Harry and Meghan's wedding and his sister Isata (World renowned pianist) in July.

I expected to hate it and be clock watching the entire time... I didnt. It was simply sensational. Watching them was just incredible to behold and I thoroughly enjoyed it. If you get the chance to see him/them, it's well worth it.

He's playing in Bury St Edmunds in September https://www.theapex.co.uk/whats-on/details.cfm?id=678547&ins=949190

Also had the chance to meet him after the show and he's an unbelievably humble, genuinely nice guy.

Edited by kick it off
  • Thanks 1

In a coincidence, Sheku, Rattle and the LSO finished the radio 3 breakfast show. Just needed an orchestra called Roll. 

• Haha 1

On 29/08/2022 at 08:34, Herman said:

This is not everyone's cup of tea but I have to say this was immense. Sir Simon Rattle, a massive orchestra, opera singers and two choruses. A long piece so if you have a couple of hours spare......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001bm7m/bbc-proms-2022-sir-simon-rattle-and-the-lso

Just finished listening that Herman. Thanks. I'm a late comer to Birtwhistle - in the last 5 years only. And he has been on my weekly playlists every now and then ever since. Reading up about him he is a proper northerner! And a complete English maverick or maybe eccentric is a better term. Worth listening to his interviews too. Very funny and dry. His pieces are quite outrageous too....unsettling but beauty in it. I'm sure he said he was inspired early on by the Lancashire countryside.

And @Van wink we enjoyed that Packham collage last night too. You can't beat music and images somehow. Both amplify each other and like a soundtrack you get different meanings.

Mahler was a great listen too. Again I don't know much about his work (even though he was Carl Jung's favourite composer). So there will be some exploring to do there. 👍

Now I'm here I may as well add a piece I've been listening to (the source was oddly from Better Call Saul on Netflix😄. We are nearly at Season 3). 

• Thanks 1