Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

Having listened to the Proms last night mainly because Ruth Gipps' music was showcased I thought I would share this recent piece on her here: https://www.classical-music.com/composers/gipps-ruth/ There is a link or two (e.g. E Flat for Clarinet) but her first two symphonies are really worth a listen. 

I realise there is very little classical stuff shared on this thread so may not be popular. But I wanted to promote this woman's work very much, especially on her 100th year anniversary.

I only discovered her about 3 years ago. Her symphonies are so moving (esp. number 2 played last night) but also this concerto shared here  (piano work just great and soaring strings).  She should have scored more films! 

Anyway, for those who may give this a listen.....

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

I have just got into Bon Iver. Definitely won't be everybody's Cup of tea but someone on here might just connect with it like I did.

• Like 3

I've posted this before but this is my favourite Bon Iver track from his early days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Cheered me up no end😢

I almost wanted to reference Brexit in my post DIABD 😆 but thought better of it.

You can only assume that they did sell their big John Deere and that come harvest time, they made their money!

• Like 1

On 14/08/2021 at 08:55, sonyc said:

Cheers FF. Good to honour her memory. 

My favourite here (heard it on an old Bob Harris radio programme). No idea why it struck home but...

https://youtu.be/8l87JpWkbI0

Two massive Nanci Griffith fans in this house, we saw her play live a couple of times. Despite that, I hadn’t heard that track, so thanks!

If you have any folky/country/Americana interest and haven’t heard Other Voices, Other Rooms (the first one), give it a try. 

• Like 1

If you were born before 1950 you’d know this is Take 5

if you grew up in the Punk era you’d recognise this as a talented Sax player, a mixing desk on his or her lap-top and a commendable result converting it to a beat of 4.

And some mischief 😂

Edited by Foxy2600
Emoji
  • Like 2

On 12/08/2021 at 14:36, kick it off said:

I have just got into Bon Iver. Definitely won't be everybody's Cup of tea but someone on here might just connect with it like I did.

I was lucky enough to see Bon Iver in an incredible Roman amphitheater cut into the cliff mountain top overlooking Lyon in 2019. I have to say its probably one of the most magical moment of my life, just after sunset the bright moon in the distance started to go from full to crescent then slowly back again! A Lunar Eclipse! 

A memory I will always cherish. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, greendoor said:

I was lucky enough to see Bon Iver in an incredible Roman amphitheater cut into the cliff mountain top overlooking Lyon in 2019. I have to say its probably one of the most magical moment of my life, just after sunset the bright moon in the distance started to go from full to crescent then slowly back again! A Lunar Eclipse! 

A memory I will always cherish. 

That sounds unreal. Im hoping to see them next year but doubt it will be as spectacular as that!!

Some things from radio this week. Caught a bit of classical from the end of Woman's Hour. A bit of upbeat jollity from Cerys this morning. And a bit of Latino Jazz from Lauren.

• Like 2

On 22/08/2021 at 14:35, Herman said:

Some things from radio this week. Caught a bit of classical from the end of Woman's Hour.

You listen to women’s hour ? What do they talk about ? 😁

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

You listen to women’s hour ? What do they talk about ? 😁

Whenever I turn it on they are talking about FGM. 😖

Caught the last ten minutes last week and got lucky.

You should but you'll also wish you didn't. I'll let you google it if you want.