Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

We've only had three games!

49 games in and I think I''ve seen enough to suggest Farke isn''t going to get us out of this league, and least not out of the end we want! Pretty depressing start and we probably are in the situation where survival is the first priority.

You''re correct Lakey, it''s only 3 games in. But Farke has to find a way to stop us leaking goals. Conceding over two a game is disastrous!

If we dont sack him now then we still get to moan about him. So its not all good news for some of you lot.

Very poor start with one point from 3 games, although we are creating /scoring more than last season we are also conceeding more too.

Changing the manager this early? Who would you bring in to replace him, who is available?

Also with the transfer window now closed no new players (other than loans) can come in. So even with a new manager, I don''t see much changing personally.

I agree that there’s no point in changing manager. We’ve made our bed with this set up and put all our eggs into it. See it through to the end of the season when he’s out of contract and take it from there

It may only be three games but I have to confess I feel very negative about things and more and more convinced that this Farke thing is not going to work.

This is despite the fact I think he’s quite a decent coach on many respects but something is not quite there. We lack the grit to get the results from games we deserve, we cannot defend properly with a back four and we regularly don’t get what we deserve from games whether due to luck, errors or lack of ruthlessness. This season I was hoping to see these issues addressed but they’ve already cost us 4 or 5 points this season and are clearly still issues.

I can’t bear another “keep the faith” or “give it time” season where we waste three months then act too late.

[quote user="Clint"]LDC to a certain extent. That completely different team still played how Farke wants his teams to play and consequently struggled to beat a league 2 team.[/quote]
3-1 win, 71% possession, they had just 2 shots on target all game and not a single corner (compared to our 12 corners), and you call that us struggling to win???
The results have been disappointing so far, but let''s not get carried away and make completely non-factual claims ffs...

Not a bad shout King.

None of the squad could reasonably complain either. Who they gonna shout at, a whale?

[quote user="Clint"]Were you at the match Indy?[/quote]Nope, and it''s an utterly irrelevant point.
If you have 70%+ of the possession, the opposition are limited to 2 shots on target and ZERO corners AND you win 3-1, then it''s not a struggle regardless of any pointless rhetoric people want to say about the performance.
A struggle would have been relatively even possession, even amount of shots and corners and scraping a 1-0 victory or even getting a draw.
Christ, even when we win 3-1, there''s people out with their sticks to complain...

I went to the cup game and there was nothing in it until Hernandez and pukki came on then we could have had 5 or 6. The evidence of that game for me was that most of the youngsters are not ready yet or not as good as we think they are

I don’t necessarily agree with all of that Yorkshire. Cantwell I think falls into that category but the cup game line up was the problem in my book just as it was the starting g line up at Brum. Put the likes of Godfrey, Aarons, Thompson and co in a team with zero pace or attacking threat and they will look average. Put them behind our decent attacking players and allow them to just do their jobs and they will look better.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]I went to the cup game and there was nothing in it until Hernandez and pukki came on then we could have had 5 or 6. The evidence of that game for me was that most of the youngsters are not ready yet or not as good as we think they are[/quote]

Or maybe the youngsters arnt good enough if all thrown in at the same time? Even top teams with the best youngsters struggle against lower league opposition partly due to it being a starting 11 who haven''t played together and also the combined level of inexperience. Doesn''t mean one or two wont perform when put in alongside the regular first teamers.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]
If you have 70%+ of the possession, the opposition are limited to 2 shots on target and ZERO corners AND you win 3-1, then it''s not a struggle
[/quote]
It was difficult at times to see the team making any headway, a bit frustrating - but the team had a few youngsters in it and you can''t underestimate the pressure they were under, being put in the first team and having to perform.  Stevenage were no push over for a young team that hadn''t played a competitive match together, so the experience was valuable for the young players and as you say, in the end it wasn''t a struggle - just a good nght all round for several different reasons.
Having slept on it, the result yesterday doesn''t to me seem a disaster, just a bit disappointing, having had the chances to put Sheffield away. Same for all three matches this season.  I would be more concered if we weren''t attacking and making chances because if the goals start flying in for us, it''s going to make for an exciting season.  

Didn''t see the game so I can''t and won''t comment on that.

All I can add is that, last season I believed Farke wasn''t the right man for us, particularly in our circumstances.

But I still think we have to give him a few more games. And I don''t argue the case about players gelling or haven''t got the system fine tuned.

It just seems that we have two or three decent players i.e. Rhodes, Hernandez and maybe Godfrey and Thompson and Cantwell.

And it is time for Webber, as Sporting Director to tell the coach that he needs to get it sorted at the back so that our talent at the front can flourish. That is Webber''s job.

I just cannot see where DF thinks Trybull, Leitner and Tettey are likely to improve us this season, And I include any of these three players as partly responsible for our woes at the back.

“I just cannot see where DF thinks Trybull, Leitner and Tettey are likely to improve us this season, And I include any of these three players as partly responsible for our woes at the back”

Our best defensive run, albeit with three at the back, had Trybull and Tettey together and most said they would be the first choice to play in that position. Most thought Leitner is an excellent ball player and we’re very happy we signed him. They don’t suddenly become rubbish after three games although I have to say I don’t think Trybull has started very well and I would play Thompson on Wednesday

Indy, so actually watching a match is irrelevant when forming an opinion on said match now is it? Oh dear.

Our best defensive run, albeit with three at the back, had Trybull and Tettey together and most said they would be the first choice to play in that position.

Last season counts for nothing really. There are six different teams in it this year and we have made changes to our squad.

I am pleased that many think we are playing better and more attacking but that won''t be what we are judged on if we don''t get results.

In the year 2018, in the league we have a 29% win rate... I am willing to give him time, as I do not think this decline is his fault but when do those "in the know" think we "moaners" should start to get worried? 2020? League one?

Someone said that this clubs fans are unique... Yeah, I can think of no other set of supporters that would accept decline and still back the owners, with almost relgious devotion, as some of our fans do... Amazing what a pub appearance or a tv advert whilst wearing club colours can do to some folks... Thoroughly depressed

Our best defensive run, albeit with three at the back, had Trybull and Tettey together and most said they would be the first choice to play in that position.

that was our best defence last season but that means we play 5 at the back and two sitting DM include the GK that is 8 defence minded players that is why we struggled to score leaving 3 attack minded players it is little wonder we did not score !

now you can argue that with 5 at the back the two full / wing backs get forward but we move the ball to slow for them to get in behind then if they do cross we have 3 attack minded players to pick out of a crowded box due to the slow build up play the two DM''s are not what you call box to box midfields they are sitters thats is why we do not score enough goals with two DM''s

Despite all the possession, shots etc that Farke refers to week after week, in those 3 games, which accumulate to near on 200 minutes playing time, we have only been in front for a mere 9 minutes.

We seem to have a worrying trend of making a critical error or two in the matches so far coupled with missing some very, very good chances. It''s not a good omen so far.

The EFL stats site shows we are having more shots on goal, more on target, more in the penalty area and making most passes, and accurate passes than the vast majority of the teams in the league. So, as Farke likes to point out, the analysis appears to support his views of his team. Except, of course that the outcomes of those stats has not yet materialised. That''s the trouble with stats. They don''t get you 3 points.

Either we are very unlucky or we are soft. Or both. I agree with LDC though, it is 3:games. And the next 3 are fascinating. An ex manager returns but we ought to win. We play a Leeds team whiook the pick of the league. And then a trip to the poormen.

You''d hope for 6 points. All will look more interesting for the season if so ( yet even with these results a return of 7points from the first 6 games is close to relegation form).

I''m concerned. Hopefully Buendia can start very soon and be the next Maddison or Wes.

I will wait til the end of September before even considering writing off this season, not right now.

[quote user="Making Plans"]Despite all the possession, shots etc that Farke refers to week after week, in those 3 games, which accumulate to near on 200 minutes playing time, we have only been in front for a mere 9 minutes.
[/quote]
Sorry but that should read nearly 290 minutes playing time

[quote user="Clint"]Indy, so actually watching a match is irrelevant when forming an opinion on said match now is it? Oh dear.[/quote]The point here Clint is that opinions are naturally biased and cannot always be objective, whereas one simply cannot argue with cold hard statistics (although intepretation of those can leave something to be desired).
1) Lack of total shots and lack of shots on target shows a side that rarely threatened an opponents goals
2) Lack of possession also shows that one side saw far less of the ball and naturally had far less time to do anything useful with it which is a natural consequence. We do have to be aware of understanding what we did with that possession, but as seen from that match, by the 70th minute they had simply run out of energy and we made a couple of subs and completely changed the game having spent a lot of time making them chase us for possession.
3) Their goal came purely from a set-piece and was a well taken free kick, from open play they offered pretty much no major threat.
4) We scored 3 times. It makes jack all difference at the final whistle if these were scored in the first 5 minutes, on the stroke of half-time or in injury time, and this was 2 more than they managed and is a comfortable final score.
5) Don''t forget we were playing a very young and relatively inexperienced team as well, it''s not like Farke sent out our usual starting XI is it?
6) As said at the start of my response, your ''opinion'' could be totally different to mine, which could also be different to Ricardo''s, which could be different to NN''s etc, etc. You could ask 20 fans what they thought of a certain player''s performance or that of the team as a whole and get a hell of a lot of variance in those answers, whereas you can''t argue that the possession was 70%+, you can''t argue that we scored 3 goals to their 1, you can''t argue that they only had 2 shots on target compared to our 7, or that they had 0 corners compared to our 12 - the facts speak for themselves, whereas the opinion is simply that - an opinion.