Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

So uhh...about that 'improving the atmosphere' stuff..

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]As much as the complainant might seem to be a stick in the mud or a whinging old duffer; it is important to remember that, technically, he isn’t the one in the wrong here.

Whether they should bring back standing areas is a different debate and one well worth having but, at the moment, unless they change the law then those of us that stand in a seated area are always going to be “wrong”. As such, we''re going To have to play the game for a while or get slung out.[/quote]Absolutely correct Duncan but as a goodwill gesture maybe the SAG could allow the club to be a bit flexible over this and allow a handful of fans at a time to stand......a sort of Twenty is Plenty approach.

“Nobody may stand in any seating area whilst play is in progress. Persistent standing in seated areas whilst play is in progress is strictly forbidden and may result in ejection from the Ground. “

The two sentences are contradictory.

If it is only one old codger then its still roughly a ratio of 50,000 to 1. Must be some important old bugger to go against those odds.

I didn’t write it!!!

I think it is probably making allowances for the “need a wee” or “beating the traffic” brigades as, much like a theatre or cinema, people will need to stand to allow them to pass etc

I personally think A block should unite and stand, minus the whinging old git. I can see how they could sling out standees in A block but not elsewhere in the ground. Think they''d be opening a massive can of worms if they carried this threat out.

[quote user="shefcanary"]If it is only one old codger then its still roughly a ratio of 50,000 to 1. Must be some important old bugger to go against those odds.[/quote]By your reckoning then we have roughly half  an old codger in a crowd of 25,000.

By your reckoning then we have roughly half an old codger in a crowd of 25,000.

What a Cod then? Gers are in Glasgow.

For me this is not about "some miserable git" or "the club mistreating the fans! again.

The fan is entitled (whatever our views are) to make a complaint, the safety advisory group I think have a statutory obligation to respond and take action against persistent breaches. Their sanctions include both restricting capacity or shutting the stand down. The club have to be seen to responding to this - their options are limited. Yes the club could write to all fans, but is that a proportionate response if the complaint relates to one single area. The fact another part of the ground in in breach does not legitimise the standing block A (my long time block)

It is all about an out dated law that was, at the time, rightly brought in to address pen-over filling (I remember dangerous crushs at West Ham and Villa in particular). There are now multiple alternatives to ensure that we can accommodate standing areas embracing safety measures, but currently the regulations does not permit their introduction. That is what needs to change. A community club should be taking a lead on working with the SAG and authorities in moving the the regulations into the 21st century.

In the meantime this isnt a stick to beat the club with. As fans we do need to play the standing game sensibly.

I agree with ZLF. In the pre all seat days it was easy- if you wanted to stand you went in the Barclay or the River End, and to sit you went elsewhere.

Now it has all got jumbled up, so those who want to sit end up in any part of the ground. But just because some want to stand and don''t like the law doesn''t mean it is right to block the view of those wishing to sit. It is a selfish attitude.

What has tended to happen is that those who wish to sit have migrated to other parts of the ground so there is an informal sitting and standing division. But it still doesn''t make it right to stand.

Having said that, because of this new convention, those who wish to sit really should move to another part of the ground- the convention has outweighed the rules rightly or wrongly and it is virtually impossible now to force the blocks of standers to sit. Things have moved on.

The issue is the sitting rule, until that gets sorted there are going to be complaints and dissatisfaction. When so many, and even more at other grounds I have been to, stand in sitting areas it is surely time to recognise reality and move to the provision of safe standing which will get rid of the entire problem.

Reading through these posts I think many are forgetting the exact reason just why all seater stadiums were introduced!

96 fatalities and 766 injuries at Sheffield on the 15/4/89!

Now I’m not arguing blame here, or advocating non standing, I did it for years at Carrow Road and every ground I visited watching NCFC prior to 1989, and I stand at times now, right or wrong, there is a reason the club have to comply!

Now there is the issue City 2nd.

96 fans died at Hillsborough. If it was seated, it still would have happened as a) police opened the gates, letting far too many fans in and b) there were huge steel fences in front of the terraces. I''m not sure saying ''but Hillsborough...'' backs up the standing argument.

Rogue Baboon wrote the following post at 2017-12-07 2:47 PM:

Now there is the issue City 2nd.

96 fans died at Hillsborough. If it was seated, it still would have happened as a) police opened the gates, letting far too many fans in and b) there were huge steel fences in front of the terraces. I''m not sure saying ''but Hillsborough...'' backs up the standing argument.

As I said RB I’m not advocating who was to blame or the steel fences (steel barriers - they had them at CR too) were the issue, and I’m not stating that Hillsborough “backs up” the sitting or standing argument. What I am implying is that it was, in the main, the single reason for the introduction of all seater stadiums, to which the club have to comply. If they do not, they are culpable!

There is a simple solution.

The law is an ass and needs to be changed.

There needs to be a section for fans to stand. Even at Liverpool, a club deeply affected by this, 88.21% in a survey of 15''000 plus, voted to accept safe standing. It is routinely allowed on the continent without any safety issues. Go to Dortmund for example.

Also, anyone attending a gig in a stadium will not find over zealous H&S nuts telling them to sit down and stop dancing! Surely that is more dangerous?

Sitting sections for those that like to sit and standing for those that like to stand. Only in football is the paying customers views routinely ignored to such an extent.

Atmosphere will be rubbish until this easy issues is dealt with.

PS in my opinion the club are being stupid. It''s a law that most disagree with and see as stupid. They should have liaised with the person complaining and tried to find an amicable solution rather than issuing threatening letters to its customers.

You can stand for moments of excitement. That''s settled it. No more standing at Carrow Road.

Can i just ask who will foot the bill for these safe standing areas which require rail seats or do some of you just think it is a matter of ripping out the seats and reduce ticket prices at the same time ?Remember we are skint and reducing costs across the board at the club.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Can i just ask who will foot the bill for these safe standing areas which require rail seats or do some of you just think it is a matter of ripping out the seats and reduce ticket prices at the same time ?Remember we are skint and reducing costs across the board at the club.[/quote]Let''s wait for the inevitable relegation to League One then we can downsize to a smaller stadium and be allowed to have terracing.Sorted. Simples. [;)]

Just heard Neal Thomson on radio 5 drivetime being interviewed about this. National interest 🙄

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]If they are enforcing us to sit, I hope they do the same for the away section ! [/quote]

As I understand it, there would need to be a complaint (to the SAG?) from one of the away fans. Highly doubt that''s going to happen.

Home fans pointing it out to stewards isn''t going to have any effect - the rule is in place for Block A only at this stage, purely because someone (singular?) has complained. I''m guessing that no one elsewhere in the home areas has made a complaint.

So if all of block A has to sit yet all of block B contunies to stand, won''t no-one in block A be able to see when the ball is on the far side to them? Surely the threat has to be issued to all the Lower Barclay?We had none of these issues prior to the jumped up jobsworths from Regency Security coming on the scene.

Apparently someone complained directly to the FA using photographic evidence of some kids standing on seats in front of him, the FA then contacted the club who went to the complainant and offered him (or her) a move to any seat in the ground which was declined. The club were also told to circulate the letters, people who sit around this guy (or girl) are aware of all this and have given him (or her)some abuse because of it apparently....