Sign in to follow this  
Michael Bates

Angus Gunn on loan?

Apparently had the option to join a Prem club and various other championship clubs. Wanted to come back home.

[quote user="kick it off"]Apparently had the option to join a Prem club and various other championship clubs. Wanted to come back home.[/quote]Three home grown goalkeepers next season then.  Hope they can do the business between them.  

In my opinion, he can become first choice... Rudd as second choice would suit me and Remi is not ready yet ...

Don''t rate McGovern , so he can be sold asap...

Can''t see Rudd being happy with 2nd choice. Most folk on here think the activation in his contract was done to sell him on, I''m inclined to agree.

I concur with McGovern, nothing but a flapper. I would think we''ll be moving him on too.

Gunn, Jones and Matthews I''d say. Matthews then being loaned out again to a L1 or Champs club.

I think it''s fairly clear that Gunn has been brought in to start this season.That leaves us with Rudd, Jones, McGovern and Matthews.I don''t think Matthews is quite ready yet, so a sensible move would indeed be a loan to a L1 or similar club.McGovern hasn''t really impressed and is likely to be on the highest wages of the 3 remaining, so I''d rather we looked to move him on (and happy if this is on a free transfer just to clear the wages).That leaves Rudd and Jones, and this is where things get more complicated. Jones is a lower level keeper who hasn''t played above L1 level (and often well below that), whereas Rudd at least has solid experience despite his younger age. However, I can''t see Rudd wanting to come back and sit behind Gunn, whereas Jones is apparently perfectly happy to be 3rd choice (which in itself says something tbh).Ideally I''d like to see Gunn, with Rudd as 2nd choice and Jones as 3rd, but if Rudd can''t work with this (despite having a contract), then we might need to hang on to Matthews and move Rudd on, leaving us with Gunn, Matthews and Jones (which is risky if Gunn doesn''t perform and Matthews really isn''t ready)...

Might sound crazy, but I just thought we might move for another, as yet, unknown keeper from the lower leagues or Europe that''s better than Rudd?

I don''t get this 1st choice, 2nd choice business.   If Gunn and Rudd are the two main goalkeepers, then surely they have to compete with each other for the place in the team - just like the rest of the squad.  No-one should think they are automatically first choice. 

I think he''s come in to be first choice, the interview with Rob Newman on the home page seems to suggest this. Why would he come here to sit on our bench, when he could be sitting on a Man City''s bench?

[quote user="lake district canary"]I don''t get this 1st choice, 2nd choice business.   If Gunn and Rudd are the two main goalkeepers, then surely they have to compete with each other for the place in the team - just like the rest of the squad.  No-one should think they are automatically first choice.  [/quote]So you''re telling me that De Gea doesn''t think he''s first choice for Man Utd (and wouldn''t move if he wasn''t), that Lloris isn''t first choice for Spurs (and wouldn''t move if he wasn''t), that Cech isn''t first choice for Arsenal (and wouldn''t move if he wasn''t), that Courtois isn''t first choice for Chelsea (and wouldn''t move if he wasn''t), etc, etc.Almost every top club will have a clearly defined first choice keeper, often with a good keeper behind them to keep a degree of pressure up for their spot, but where they know that unless they consistently start playing like garbage, they''ll still be selected each week to start in goal, so why do you think we should be any different?The only time this sort of thing doesn''t apply, is when the side in question has 2 keepers of virtually equal ability, and at that point it will either come down to form, who was in the spot first, or what promises have or haven''t been made regarding playing time, and it''s fairly clear that Gunn hasn''t come on loan to warm our bench instead of Man City''s...

Goalkeeper position always has a first choice. To be fair, so do many positions over a football pitch, however fitness and injuries etc plays much more of a role in outfield players.

Gunn is here to be number one and won''t be hanging about if he doesn''t keep that position, either.

We suffered from not having a ''first choice'' for most of AN''s time. Ruddy was firmly number one in the promotion season, then, when his form slipped in the Prem, Rudd came in and didn''t really step up. Last season, it felt like AN didn''t rate Ruddy or Rudd, so he brought in McGovern, and then we chopped and changed all season until Irvine took over and he used Ruddy for every game except the first one which he said was AN''s team.

Question is, which of our 5 keepers will it be: Gunn, Rudd, McGovern, Matthews or Jones? Surely 2 will leave or go on loan somewhere.

[quote user="hogesar"]Goalkeeper position always has a first choice. To be fair, so do many positions over a football pitch, however fitness and injuries etc plays much more of a role in outfield players.

Gunn is here to be number one and won''t be hanging about if he doesn''t keep that position, either.[/quote]

If Gunn isn''t up to scratch, we won''t want him to hang about.  But the point remains that no player should expect to be the main man.  Not De Gea, Lloris or anyone else - you play for your place in the team.  Form should dictate who will be in the team, not anyone thinking they are number 1.

It''s a nice thought Lakey, but you must be aware that isn''t how it works.

[quote user="hogesar"]It''s a nice thought Lakey, but you must be aware that isn''t how it works.[/quote]No, he''s clearly on another of his tangents that nobody else agrees with, but which he''ll keep banging the drum on about ad nauseum (or until he finds something else to dribble about).I''m looking forward to next season to be honest, as it will be interesting to see how Dorrans does for Rangers on their left wing if they do sign him, and why Chelsea fans will fully understand that Courtois shouldn''t be expecting to play much next season as clearly Eduardo will be just as good instead...

[quote user="Darth Canary1"]If he wasn''t going to be first choice then I suspect he wouldn''t of been allowed to come to Norwich[/quote]I don''t understand Darth, according to LDC absolutely NO keeper should expect to be first choice, so surely Gunn would have been just as likely to start for Man City as Ederson Moraes (who gives a f**k about his £35m transfer fee eh?), which makes his decision to come on loan here even more bizarre if that''s the case....

Indy bones - You are no one to talk about banging on about things......No player has the divine right to think they are going to be number one.  You might want to be number one, you might even be told you are going to be first choice, but the truth is that no-one should expect to be number one, as if it is written in stone.  Gunn is coming with the intention of being in the team, for sure, but he is not number one goalkeeper until he proves his worth as being better than whoever else we have. He is not De Gea or Llorris or any other big money signing, he is just a talented youngster out on loan.  He will have to prove himself better than the rest to get in the team.  Until he does that he is just one of the squad.

Angus will be expecting to get game time at Norwich, otherwise why would he come, sure, Norwich is a nice place but i''d have thought that being !st choice England u 21 keeper does carry a bit of Kudos, not enougt be a starter for Man Citeh, but plenty to have him in contention for the No1 spot with us. I have no problem with this.With Citeh splashing out on Ederson, Angus is even less likely to play for them. The move seems logical, to a Club he knows and supports, and every chance of rising above the competition to become regular starter. If he does well, and we go up, then i''d also have no problem withe move being made permanent, even if he costs a lot more than we sold him for, C''est la vie. We will need a good keeper if we go up, why not have one that has years ahead of him to improve, and increase in value.This is potentially very smart business.

@ LDC

He is not De Gea or Llorris or any other big money signing, he is just a talented youngster out on loan. He will have to prove himself better than the rest to get in the team. Until he does that he is just one of the squad.

Oh, i dont know, put him in a green GK jumper and he will look just like De Gea, similar build, good reflexes, Just the ticket.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]@ LDC

He is not De Gea or Llorris or any other big money signing, he is just a talented youngster out on loan. He will have to prove himself better than the rest to get in the team. Until he does that he is just one of the squad.

Oh, i dont know, put him in a green GK jumper and he will look just like De Gea, similar build, good reflexes, Just the ticket.[/quote]

[Y] [Y] [:D]  De Gea has spawned a lot of lookalikes, that''s for sure.  So Gunn could be our De Gea as well as Rudd!  I''d really like to have these two fighting it out over the first team shirt next season......two De Gea inspired goalies in the same squad.  Lovely.

Maybe it is time you welcome Bryan back into the fold. I appreciate it idn''t work out well at the end. Bur I''m sure he still has the club at heart as I''m sure if there was any lingering bad feeling Angus would not be coming here. I doubt very much he intended to fail so maybe it''s time start afresh.

[quote user="lake district canary"]No player has the divine right to think they are going to be number one.  You might want to be number one, you might even be told you are going to be first choice, but the truth is that no-one should expect to be number one, as if it is written in stone.  Gunn is coming with the intention of being in the team, for sure, but he is not number one goalkeeper until he proves his worth as being better than whoever else we have. He is not De Gea or Llorris or any other big money signing, he is just a talented youngster out on loan.  He will have to prove himself better than the rest to get in the team.  Until he does that he is just one of the squad.[/quote]More old cobblers LDC.If we signed Griezman, neither Nelson or Jerome would get a look-in unless he was injured/suspended, and frankly there wouldn''t be a player, fan or staff member who would expect any different.Similarly, if we signed Van Dijk, are you honestly telling me he wouldn''t expect to start ahead of Martin or Klose, or that he somehow has to ''prove his worth'' ahead of them despite being a far better player, and everyone with even half a brain realising this is the case?Please stop talking utter horse s**t.Clubs DO have players who are clearly first choice in their position, which is why Barca don''t rotate Messi unless they have to, Madrid don''t rotate Ronaldo unless they have to, and almost every top club will have a 1st choice keeper with a decent 2nd choice behind them.This is basic stuff FFS, and I cannot fathom why you''re being so obtuse about this.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="lake district canary"]No player has the divine right to think they are going to be number one.  You might want to be number one, you might even be told you are going to be first choice, but the truth is that no-one should expect to be number one, as if it is written in stone.  Gunn is coming with the intention of being in the team, for sure, but he is not number one goalkeeper until he proves his worth as being better than whoever else we have. He is not De Gea or Llorris or any other big money signing, he is just a talented youngster out on loan.  He will have to prove himself better than the rest to get in the team.  Until he does that he is just one of the squad.[/quote]More old cobblers LDC.If we signed Griezman, neither Nelson or Jerome would get a look-in unless he was injured/suspended, and frankly there wouldn''t be a player, fan or staff member who would expect any different.Similarly, if we signed Van Dijk, are you honestly telling me he wouldn''t expect to start ahead of Martin or Klose, or that he somehow has to ''prove his worth'' ahead of them despite being a far better player, and everyone with even half a brain realising this is the case?Please stop talking utter horse s**t.Clubs DO have players who are clearly first choice in their position, which is why Barca don''t rotate Messi unless they have to, Madrid don''t rotate Ronaldo unless they have to, and almost every top club will have a 1st choice keeper with a decent 2nd choice behind them.This is basic stuff FFS, and I cannot fathom why you''re being so obtuse about this.[/quote]

It''s the same old thing. People always want to see things as being black or white.  The truth is that no player has the divine right to expect to be in a team.  You get in a team on merit, not on reputation, price tag or because you came from Man City.

He''s come here, and Manchester City have sanctioned it, because he is guaranteed to be our no. 1 at the start of next season, and absolutely everybody knows it.