Sign in to follow this  
Michael Bates

Angus Gunn on loan?

I don''t really buy into this whole never played senior football. How much difference is playing u23''s week in week out as a goalkeeper to playing first team football? Outfield players I agree it''s a whole new level with the physicality of it etc.. But as a goalkeeper, It''s not exactly a drastic change really is it?

If he''s highly regarded at Man City (a top 8 side in the world) and is England''s best goalkeeper in u21''s without a senior appearance, then he must be pulling up tree''s in the games he does play.

At the end of the day if he doesn''t perform, then another keeper will come in. He will be on low wages anyway.

I can only see this signing as an absolute gem.

Don''t get all the talk about Rudd. He had his chance as City no 1 in the PL and couldn''t sustain it. He is now nearly 27 and if he was going to make it with NCFC he would have done it by now. Needs to go to a club elsewhere & settle there. Hopefully McGovern wil also depart. I would be quite happy with three main keepers Gunn Matthews & Jones, not forgetting Oxborough, Hallett & 3 youth keepers.

Agreed it may be a risk as he has zero senior experience but I rely our head coach to be strong enough to drop him if things slip, whatever the loan agreement is.

[quote user="Michael Bates"]I don''t really buy into this whole never played senior football. How much difference is playing u23''s week in week out as a goalkeeper to playing first team football? Outfield players I agree it''s a whole new level with the physicality of it etc.. But as a goalkeeper, It''s not exactly a drastic change really is it?

If he''s highly regarded at Man City (a top 8 side in the world) and is England''s best goalkeeper in u21''s without a senior appearance, then he must be pulling up tree''s in the games he does play.

At the end of the day if he doesn''t perform, then another keeper will come in. He will be on low wages anyway.

I can only see this signing as an absolute gem.[/quote]

It''s hugely different from U23''s and experience counts for alot as a goalkeeper, even De Gea looked dodgy until he got some experience behind him. He will be put under a totally different kind of pressure from senior players who put winning ahead of technical improvement. As a team we desperately need our defence to become more steady and resolute, i personally think that will be more challenging with a young inexperienced goalkeeper. However i really hope i''m wrong i certainly dont want to see him fail.

@Year of the tiger

Don''t get all the talk about Rudd. He had his chance as City no 1 in the PL and couldn''t sustain it. He is now nearly 27 and if he was going to make it with NCFC he would have done it by now. Needs to go to a club elsewhere & settle there. Hopefully McGovern wil also depart. I would be quite happy with three main keepers Gunn Matthews & Jones, not forgetting Oxborough, Hallett & 3 youth keepers.

Agreed it may be a risk as he has zero senior experience but I rely our head coach to be strong enough to drop him if things slip, whatever the loan agreement is.

Totally agree, and think it will be a straight contest between Gunn and Matthews, and wont be too concerned which ever gets the No1.

McGovern will only depart if someone wants him - no reports so far.

Rudd can go to Preston or Charlton, probably a small fee. Both have already expressed interest. Hope that doesn''t come back to haunt us.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"][quote user="lake district canary"]I think it''s a good move.  A highly rated youngster who already has a connection to the club through his father so don''t really see the reason for any negativity.   He just needs to be solid and consistent, something our goalkeepers have lacked in recent times.

[/quote]

Exactly he needs to be solid and consistent, something not usually associated with young keepers especially ones with no league appearances. I think playing the percentages we were far more likely to get solid and consistent from an experienced player in that particular position. This is a big big gamble if he''s going to be number 1.

I''d have been happier if there was an option to buy at least that way we could be seen to be planning for the future, while he learns.[/quote]

I can see it being a case of Gunn and Rudd and/or Matthews being considered just "goalkeepers", not number one or two or anything.  Then it will be up to the players themseleves to compete to show which one of them is best. 

Good youngster in, potentially not paying the full extent of his wages.

Probably 2 senior keepers moved on, Wages cut further.

When Webber said we would need to be creative to make things happen, this is what he meant. An outstanding individual goalkeeper may not be at all as important as a goalkeeper that is outstanding in our system; if we are aiming for a sweeper keeper idea, Ruddy OUT and Gunn IN makes a tonne of sense.

[quote user="percy varco"]Said it on here a month ago, before Farke.

A webber appointment. Young Gunn will be being schooled in Pep''s sweeper keeper style. Cannot see Mcgovern or Rudd fitting that role.

Great move if we can educate our defence in that style of play.[/quote]Absolutely this. And in the next year, our youth keepers will no doubt be schooled the same way, so hopefully one of them will be ready to step up next season.

i think what gets my goat is Man City paid 250k ( less than a weeks wages for some of their players ) for Gunn from us Maybe never play 1st team football for them

But someone who could be our No1 for 10 years + will play here for a season gain experience then go back to Man city making them more money on his value

Loan to buy is the only loans i agree with

Read somewhere that to take Gunn on loan, the deal must be to No.1 keeper.

Would be extremely concerned if McGovern was No.1 and don''t think Rudd has inspired, or taken any of the chances he''s been given here (not that he makes the blunders McGovern regularly makes!)

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Pierre Cidre"]I believe we have a sell on clause with regard to Angus Gunn... which were we to buy him at some later date would mean we would receive a percentage .... of that ... fee.Otherwise I suspect it is no more than the usual Sun fill up pages with 2+2 makes 5NCFC lose RuddMCFC sign another keeperwhat now happens with Angus Gunn.. find a connectionviola, he returns to NCFC [/quote]
I''m shocked that you''re going to be wrong. Again.
[/quote][:D]

[quote user="lake district canary"]I think it''s a good move.  A highly rated youngster who already has a connection to the club through his father so don''t really see the reason for any negativity.   He just needs to be solid and consistent, something our goalkeepers have lacked in recent times.

[/quote]
He''s the same build as De Gea which means that he is equally as talented and the only difference between them is experience? That''s how it works isn''t it LDC? [;)]

His Dad is a hell of an act to follow.

Would like to see Angus and Remi competing for first choice next season.

I think Rudd will move on before the season starts.

[quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="percy varco"]Said it on here a month ago, before Farke.

A webber appointment. Young Gunn will be being schooled in Pep''s sweeper keeper style. Cannot see Mcgovern or Rudd fitting that role.

Great move if we can educate our defence in that style of play.[/quote]Absolutely this. And in the next year, our youth keepers will no doubt be schooled the same way, so hopefully one of them will be ready to step up next season.[/quote]Being able to play as a sweeper is a nice bonus but it is only a bonus and not to be valued above the most important attributes for a keeper, which are judgment, handling, shot-stopping and positional sense, with the last being the most vital. I have no idea about Gunn, and he may have those attributes, of course.

He''s been at Man City for 5 years, so I''d expect him to have learnt well from Hart, Caballero et al. And this year Bravo came in because he fitted Pep''s preferred style of a ball playing keeper, and again I''d have thought Gunn would have picked up that style of play.

[quote user="norfolkngood"]i think what gets my goat is Man City paid 250k ( less than a weeks wages for some of their players ) for Gunn from us Maybe never play 1st team football for them

But someone who could be our No1 for 10 years + will play here for a season gain experience then go back to Man city making them more money on his value

Loan to buy is the only loans i agree with[/quote]Power for the course these days. Bamford cost Chelsea £1.5 million from Forest, they loan him out a few times, never plays for Chelsea and gets sold for a rumoured £5.5 million to Middlesborough.Betrand cost £150k from Gillingham, Chelsea must have made that back on loans fee alone.

Trying to recall what happened the last time we turned to Gunn for help

He was instrumental in the appointment of Paul Lambert and the wonderful years to follow.

[quote user="ZLF"]Trying to recall what happened the last time we turned to Gunn for help[/quote]Well, he won''t be the manager this time. Though if he does extremely poorly, he might have season tickets thrown at him.

As posted under the Ruddy and Bennett thread on 2nd May.

"Wouldn''t be at all surprised to see young Angus Gunn here on a season long loan? "

Glad to see it come to fruition, hopefully could be a very good move for all involved.

Angus is the Canary Cheep Cheap unproven option. Nepotism & Cronyism rears its usual and predictable head at NCFC once again! I bet ickle club Delia sanctioned it!

I want a Joe Hart, a Lev Yashin, a Gordon Banks, a Peter Shilton or a Pat Jennings type Goalkeeper.......WAAAAAAH! I don''t want Bryan''s wee Angus between the sticks I want a proper professional Keeper......AND I WANT ONE NOW!!!!!!!!!!

HAPPY CLAPPY BOARD APOLOGISTIC EASILY PLEASED NFN PUNTERS!......CHASE OUT! SCAMPI OUT! THAT BLOKE WHO SITS NEAR ME AT CARRA AND SMELLS OF BOILED SUGARBEET AND BURNT ONION OUT! YOU CAN ALL GET OUT! WAAAAAAH! I''M SO UPSET!!!!!!! (Even more if Corbyn becomes PM).....WAAAAAAH!.......LIFE IS SO CRUEL!!!!

He''s quite tall is young Angus, isn''t he......

Some of our fans need to stop turning their noses up at loans from Premiership clubs. It''s a useful method that other teams have benefited from in this league, we need to ensure we do too.

[quote user="Morgan"]You''ve posted 11,111 comments. How cool and weird is it that it coincides with you losing your mind?![/quote]He lost his mind before post 1.

[quote user="hogesar"]Some of our fans need to stop turning their noses up at loans from Premiership clubs. It''s a useful method that other teams have benefited from in this league, we need to ensure we do too.[/quote]

Depending on the player, it can also put you first in the queue to sign them, eg Stoke picking up Ryan Shawcross, and Hull Robbie Brady from Man United after successful loan spells.

We certainly weren''t complaining about loans from Premier League clubs when we borrowed Hucks, Crouch and Harper were we...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]We certainly weren''t complaining about loans from Premier League clubs when we borrowed Hucks, Crouch and Harper were we...[/quote]Exactly. And another parallel is when we had Fraser Forster on loan from Newcastle in League One - we wanted to sign him permanently, but Lambert got fed up of waiting and signed Ruddy permanently instead. If Citeh don''t want to sell then we''ll cross that bridge next summer - but in the meantime, it looks like we''ve acquired an excellent goalkeeper for the coming season.