Sign in to follow this  
Crabbycanary3

Russell Martin has signed a new contract until 2019

Don''t hold your feelings and thoughts back Judge.... 😬

For the record I''m agreeing, this smacks of desperation to me!! He clearly says all the right things and is untouchable for some reason. 🤔

Excellent decision, can cover RB & CB... Okay maybe not the best but name players who would be a better two in one player?

And yes I would be concerned if we don''t sign a better CB in the window, but I wouldn''t be disappointed.

I will now expect a loan CB to come in.

[quote user="Rich T The Biscuit"]Don''t hold your feelings and thoughts back Judge.... 😬

For the record I''m agreeing, this smacks of desperation to me!! He clearly says all the right things and is untouchable for some reason. 🤔[/quote]I would imagine Farke took advice from Irvine. And I would think much of that was about the temprement of the players. Some like Dorrans wanted to head back home, as did Howson. other might have been seen as those who would not buy into the new set up, and perhaps didn''t much with the last set up. Lambert''s time showed that it was not necessarily the quality of players alone, but how well they worked together, the spirit etc. That was the one stand out factor of Lambert''s time here. We felt we could win. The team and the supporters alike. Something went missing over the last couple of seasons.Time and time again the defence looked at odds with each other. I''m sure some did not want to be here. And I''m sure they are among those who have left. For my part the season has much to look forward to. The past decade has been quite eventful and I''m sure the fat lady is not about to sing just yet. Though the innebriated one might take to the mike again. Let''s look forward.Onward and upwards.

I''m delighted someone like him hasn''t renewed Til.

Make shift fans who''s only reason for football is clearly to shout angrily, identify a scapegoat and blame them for their current midlife crisis.

Those who are ''anti'' are just missing the point, they seem to think they know better than each of our last God-knows-how-many managers, so that''s just up to them.

Out of interest, what happened to the Arsenal cb we were apparently on the verge of signing on loan? That seemed to go quiet for the u21 tournament, but I thought it was all-but done beforehand.

Well this forum seems to have been invaded by some scummy throlls last night! Get the f*** over it and support your club. RM is a City man through and through and will be giving his all for NCFC ! I don''t think he''s the best defender we have either and I had rather have a few additions to the defensive part too! But abuse etc...towards a genuine NCFC campaigner NO, that''s scum, not support!

I second that RF. Absolute filth the abuse towards a loyal and faithful servant to the club.

If they truly are supposed to be supporters then they should consider effing off down to the blue scum!

My own personal opinion on RM is he should be regarded as a squad player as he''s more than capable of back up.

Hopefully with a few sales we can afford a new cb and lb. Reckon thats all we need. Maybe a different type of striker to the ones we have?

An articulate, championship experienced player on relatively low wages who has deficiencies but covers a couple of positions.

I find his performances erratic and frustrating, but I simply dont understand the vitriol towards him from some fans.

We still need to bolster the central defence area but having some stability counts, am hopeful we will still be looking for key CB signing (or two if klose departs) to provide us with the first choice pairing

ZLF - RM has always fronted up to the media after relegation from the PL and after some abysmal performances last season and I think he''s become the face of failure to some fans. Of course this is utterly unfair.

[quote user="Rich T The Biscuit"]Don''t hold your feelings and thoughts back Judge.... 😬

For the record I''m agreeing, this smacks of desperation to me!! He clearly says all the right things and is untouchable for some reason. 🤔[/quote]
See, this is a bit awkward. Anyone saying this has to be terminally dim.
I highly doubt, that the following:
- Paul Lambert, and his coaching staff
- Chris Hughton, and his coaching staff
- Neil Adams, and his coaching staff
- Alex Neil, and his coaching staff
- Alan Irvine, and his coaching staff
- Gordon Strachan, and his coaching staff
- Webber, Farke and his coaching staff
All continue to pick a defender, extend his contract, or whatever, simply because he talks well / says the right things / whatever excuse you fancy using today because you''ve chosen a scapegoat and it''s hard to move off from him until the new season starts and hopefully Naismith will be here and start slowly so I can move onto him if RM has a good game.
The actual probability is that you''re wrong. The refusal to accept that, or even acknowledge it; instead coming up with a childish reason for him still being here, despite all the evidence in front of you is what leads to my initial conclusion on the first line of this post.

I''m not that surprised that this decision has caused such different opinions. RM is yellow and green through and through and by all accounts a model pro who is totally committed. But does he have the quality we are looking for if we are aiming for promotion? IMO he is a good player to have around and decent as a backup, but if we are aiming upwards...he isn''t good enough. We really need new recruits as we all know. We have got rid of players that needed to go, we have some exciting young players, but if we continue make more cuts than Sweeney Todd I really wonder about the balance of the squad. Put it this way, I rate Dorrans and Howson as better at their role than RM is at his. Sure, it also comes down to who wants to leave or stay as well as money. At this point I can see a fully committed team but lacking in the quality needed. That could change with a couple of good signings though not holding my breath.

What is it with Russell Martin? There''s an enormous gulf between the opinions of about half our supporters and his managers, coaches and peers in the professional game.

For what it''s worth I''m happy to have him renew his contract. Not for sentimental reasons or because he''s a model pro or any other non football quality but because he''s been out best defender. For those who are constantly on his case his mistakes get magnified where those of his partners are glossed over. I also think hes a better central defender than full back. I dont think he has all the attributes needed for a modern fullback in the championship. Do people seriously think the long list of professional people rate him because hes a model pro whos not good enough? Thats nuts!! At a stretch we could believe that of Paul Lambert because he signed him. But the others all inherited him so had no such loyalty.

This split in opinion is not something new. It goes right back to when he first signed. It seemed even then half our fans didn''t rate him and were adamant that Spillane was a better option. That beggars belief now. I''m still at a loss. What is it about our Russ?

It''s cos ppl are miserable and like to have a figure of hate to project their own crap onto.

I for one don''t mind either way if he signed an extension or not. He''s good enough at this level and with new coaching might become like a new player.

It''s probably easier to focus on the negative though so I''ll be ready to boo him on August 5th from wherever I may be at the time of KO.

The problem seems to be the Captaincy. Most expect a Captain to be the best at his job, lead from the front and command respect of his peers, helping younger inexperienced players to develop their game.

When there is a running debate as to whether he can do his job, it surely doesn''t command respect from the other players. This is exacerbated when he gets to answer media questions as the Captain. He doesn''t help himself with the comments he makes and supporters point their fingers at his ability on the pitch.

Its not enough to be a loyal nice chap.

Well that''s a first for me, being called Dim 😬

So let me add some context, in any business life there are those that everyone seems to like and who progresses because they say or do the right things, we all know he''s hard working, proper pro, looks after himself etc etc, I''ve had the pleasure of meeting him, he is a really nice guy and his stories about his life growing up are interesting but he''s been fortunate of late to be the best of a bad bunch, doesn''t mean he shouldn''t be replaced though!

My point was and is that he is not good enough anymore and to give the guy another 2 years is a sentimental decision based on clearly keeping together some sort of commonality and experience in the group, did that need another 2 years no, is he going to be with us for the long term, no!

Therefore we now need to get someone new in and not rely on a player that wasn''t up to in a very awful defensive unit, saying he was the best of a bad bunch is hardly a glowing reference is it.

My opinion is that he''s not good enough, that''s not because I''m dim, it''s because I have a long background in coaching and developing footballers and a lot of the basic positional stuff he struggles with. His lack of ability to take responsibility in situations as the capt is noticeable in every game and he''s always looking for someone to blame rather than doing his job.

Okay, playing Devil''s advocate here but let''s dissect things from last season. We seem to be getting rid of players we felt were either not good enough or not value for money. So we came up short as a collective unit, but it''s also usual to examine things more closely. Was it because we didn''t pose an attacking threat or score enough goals. Stats would indicate this wasn''t the problem. The problem was clearly with a leaky defense that was at times a shambles. I imagine the decision to get rid of Benno and Seb was because they were not deemed good enough. That''s fair enough, but a mainstay of that unit was RM. I would say it is legitimate to look at his performances and consider if he is really that much better than Benno or Seb. The decision has been made so we move on and get behind the team, but it''s not unreasonable to have the debate. Personally I have never used RM as a scapegoat on this forum. My view is he is okay at this level, and he was not the only player to have a below par season. Nevertheless it''s not unreasonable to be wishing for new recruits given the defensive woes last season. And RM had a part to play in that.

TBBW,

A considered post - thank you.

That said imo our defensive shortcomings were not the sole responsibility of the back four ( or five). The midfield often left them exposed and as a result they were pulled out of position and panic set in. A '' tightening up'' all round could pay massive dividends.

Love it when the Martin fan club continually trot out the previous managers who have played him. Unless I''m mistaken,I recall most people wanted all those characters gone at some point. That''s why their no longer with us. So hardly a reference point. You can add to that list Strachan as well. Would you want him as manager. The Martin idolisers probably would.

All managers are wanted out at some point Mind The Gap, so your point is, well, it isn''t even a point.
And that''s before you consider the fact that most of them managed since at similar levels in the game.

The overriding opinion by posters on here, more especially on social media is that Martin is well well past his best. It''s just the usual Martin lovers, those that love an argument or in some cases those that SHOUT the loudest like to have the last say.

Martin has been given a lovely retirement gift by Delia, Michael & Thomas. Shambolic in my opinion, but it is their train set!

MTG,

Personally I would rate all the previous managers knowledge over your knowledge, and by the way it is, they''re not their, which probably says more about your knowledge than anything else you have spouted.

Canary Utd ll,

The fact you need to refer to social media as opposed to considered opinion on here, imo sums up your post. The overriding opinion on here is in support of the man, not as you choose to argue. However please do not let facts get in the way of your agenda.

Don''t let facts get in the way Ray?
Don''t be silly, you''re talking about Canary Utd here!

And there Ladies & Gentlemen is my point, I thank you.

Just to clarify, I did refer to the posters on here! And I believe there are 20,000+ season ticket holders, only a fraction of which take to posting on this board, and a great deal more supporters that follow us that are entitled to express there views other than a message board on the Pink Un. It''s called social media!

[quote user="Rich T The Biscuit"]Can someone please explain to me what he''s done in the last 2 yrs to warrant a contract extension?[/quote]on the field . nothing.but to many on here that doesnt matter cause he is a nice a guy and he is yellow through and through

[quote user="city4eva"][quote user="Rich T The Biscuit"]Can someone please explain to me what he''s done in the last 2 yrs to warrant a contract extension?[/quote]on the field . nothing.but to many on here that doesnt matter cause he is a nice a guy and he is yellow through and through[/quote]

But making derisory points like that is why there are arguments on here about the subject. There''s no need for it. Martin is a good player. He can play CB or RB and therefore a good player to have on our books.  Yes, he is a model pro too, which is a bonus, but the main point is that he is a good, experienced and capable player.  He makes the occasional mistake - as do all players. Ok, I haven''t seen as much of him in the last season as some of you, but his ability has been there for everyone to see over the last few years. And he was in the championship team of the year, the year we were promoted.  Not bad for a player who does "nothing".

[quote user="Rich T The Biscuit"]That was 2 years ago LDC and he''s been awful since![/quote]Awful was watching the likes of Doherty play each week, and Martin isn''t anywhere near that poor.What Martin can offer us is relatively reliable cover for both CB and RB, whilst being a good pro and still actually having pretty good games from time to time (nowhere near as consistently as he did a few years back however).I see that Derby just paid 3mil for Andre Wisdom, a player who couldn''t displace Martin in the previous PL season and who was underwhelming at both West Brom and us, and only vaguely decent at Derby in his previous loan there, so to improve significantly on Martin isn''t going to be cheap, and if indeed he is being used more sparingly, it would make even less sense to pay the sort of figure Derby have for Wisdom yet get no real improvement on what we have.Martin is a perfectly good squad player who has shown strong committent to the club and as we now appear to be getting this on a reduced wage, I don''t see what the big fuss is about???