Sign in to follow this  
If wed only kept Howie..

Leeds "must pay £5m for Jonny Howson"

I really can not believe anyone with any sense would think selling Howson to Leeds is a good idea.

1. They were and will be in contention for promotion next year.

2. Howson is our most consistent midfield player rarely makes mistake good passer and can score cracking goals and assist others.

3. Would love to see him as captain and see him sort team out , unlike Mr Martin who is no longer a great back and completly anonymous when the pressure is on!

4. In Premier League showed his class and would again if we got there!

If he must leave make it a Premier side for 10 mill plus

[quote user="CJ"]If he must leave make it a Premier side for 10 mill plus[/quote]Except there ISN''T a Premier side who are either interested, or willing to pay that sort of figure for him.Let''s face it, if Howson was that good, he''d already have been signed by a bigger club well before now (regardless of whether or not we say me wouldn''t entertain bids - money talks, end of), and it hasn''t happened.Don''t get me wrong, I like Howson and think on his day he''s easily one of our better players, the problem is that his day is nowhere near often enough and he simply doesn''t assert himself onto games anywhere near as much as he should (and has shown to be able to on occasion).I''d be happy to take 5-7mil for him at this point as long as it''s re-invested sensibly into a replacement who does take hold of games more frequently than JH does.

Indy Bones, you must realise Howson could have gone before now if he''d wanted. It''s basically a choice between being a Leroy Fer and jumping to another club that''s going to struggle or staying put at a club you like.

There''s only some noise now because it''s got to the point where both parties need to look at their options.

[quote user="CJ"]I really can not believe anyone with any sense would think selling Howson to Leeds is a good idea.

1. They were and will be in contention for promotion next year.

2. Howson is our most consistent midfield player rarely makes mistake good passer and can score cracking goals and assist others.

3. Would love to see him as captain and see him sort team out , unlike Mr Martin who is no longer a great back and completly anonymous when the pressure is on!

4. In Premier League showed his class and would again if we got there!

If he must leave make it a Premier side for 10 mill plus[/quote]

Agree with all of this. How anyone cannot see the importance of Howson is beyond me. They''ll soon realise when he''s gone, and wish they''d kicked up more of a stir instead of justifying the clubs decision to sell.

I can imagine Webber now...... "Their actually supporting me moving on their best player!!! haha I''ve landed on my feet here - kerching...$$$ now for my next move, city stand upgrade to 150 flats...."

Its seems the new structure is still causing some confusion.

Just to get this clear, moving on Howson would be in Webbers "footballing only" remit;

the plans to build flats on the city stand would sit squarely with Steve Stone as the non footballing leader.

[quote user="ZLF"]Its seems the new structure is still causing some confusion.

Just to get this clear, moving on Howson would be in Webbers "footballing only" remit;

the plans to build flats on the city stand would sit squarely with Steve Stone as the non footballing leader.[/quote]

Ah yes, thank you for putting me straight.

Also people are forgetting that the player wants to return north. We need to cash in while he has plenty of contract left if we are going to.

i did hear Burnley are keeping tabs on Howson once 1st july gets here we will see someone making a move

Micheal Keane going to Everton will swell the wallet at Burnley so lets start at 7.5 mil

The initial articles said that he wanted to return to the north rather than sign a new contract. And before anyone says that is speculation then surely that''s what the whole story is based on.

I wouldn''t be sad to see him stay but at the same time a decent price would allow more rebuilding. Whatever you think of him (and I like him) he has been here for two relegations.

it always makes me think what in the Unlikely event Tottenham or Chelsea said we want you Howson willing to pay 100 k a week if he would still want to move North ?

As that is not going to happen i suppose his way of thinking is if i can get the same money up North than i can at Norwich with a signing on fee for a new house i would prefer to earn it with my family happy living in yorkshire

Howson HAS NOT said he wants to leave, a paper who I believe were fed the story, reported he wanted to leave.

We need to raise cash, he is being touted around for sale.

Losing a player that has being voted in the top two players for the past two years does not strengthen your team.

Losing a player that has being voted in the top two players for the past two years does not strengthen your team.

i disagree mike

He can strengthen your team if we sell him and get good money due to the fact that we can then buy maybe a CB and LB which the latter we do not have at club

so if we sell him for say 5 mil with webber and Farke that might get us 3/4 players

It can be lesser players working as a team that can get better results than some so called better players pulling in different directions

[quote user="norfolkngood"]Losing a player that has being voted in the top two players for the past two years does not strengthen your team.

i disagree mike

He can strengthen your team if we sell him and get good money due to the fact that we can then buy maybe a CB and LB which the latter we do not have at club

so if we sell him for say 5 mil with webber and Farke that might get us 3/4 players

It can be lesser players working as a team that can get better results than some so called better players pulling in different directions[/quote]

So we buy a LB an CB, then who replaces Howson?

Currently there is no one in the squad that would keep him out of side. Therefore selling Howson does weaken our team, regardless of what spin is put on it.

If we spend the potential transfer fee for Howson on a LB an CB, we''re simply robbing Peter to pay Paul.

[quote user="Gordon Bennett"]The initial articles said that he wanted to return to the north rather than sign a new contract. And before anyone says that is speculation then surely that''s what the whole story is based on.

I wouldn''t be sad to see him stay but at the same time a decent price would allow more rebuilding. Whatever you think of him (and I like him) he has been here for two relegations.[/quote]

The initial articles were clearly the club feeding a line to Archant (and Archant being happy to play along now they have club sources prepared to give them some actual info) so as to prepare the ground for flogging the player. The "source" of these stories is our club and their desperation to sell players this summer.

There is not a single quote or source stating that Howson has said he wants to leave or return north. I understand he was actually quite upset when the story first appeared and I don''t blame him.

[quote user="Morgan"]Seeing a lot of stuff on Newsnow about Boro being in for Howson. Nothing''s broken on credible sources yet though[/quote]Yes, I''m seeing this too and apparently they are ''set to test our resolve with a 5 million offer''Derisory, in my opinion. If we are to sell to a Championship rival we MUST ask for at least 10 million. Especially within the inflated market as it is.I do find it quite funny, however, that Monk is now going up against his old club to get a player they''d dearly love back. Oh what a joke Leeds are!

[quote user="lincoln canary Golden Coppel"]I can''t bang on enough about my desire to see stay with us. He''s such a key player.[/quote]Such a key player that he''s helped us get relegated twice, but because everyone is too busy blaming the likes of Martin, somehow Howson''s gets away scot free...

If he goes for 5m and only Leeds and Boro are in for him that probably tells it''s own story to how good he actually though of in the game.

Dont get me wrong i think he''s a good player, but he does go missing at times and we sometimes seem to be tempted to play him as a deeper midfielder which i''ve always thought he looked totally unsuitable for. Still time will tell, personally for 5m i''d like to see him stay but if we need the 5m to buy some decent defenders then so be it. Unless i''m pleasantly surprised were going to need more than bargain third/fourth tier german defenders to sort out the calamity of defence from last season (even if they turn out to be an improvement).

It isn''t just the fee though is it. I wonder if the new regime are wondering whether he is worth his wages? A few good performances can gloss over the non existent ones. Remember Lee Croft?

Exactly Keelan

we get 5 million also we save his wages which we must do in order to cut wages

Also like others have said we are hardly got a queue of premiership teams offering us 10 million for him

i think once the 1st of july gets here we will see 4 clubs interested leeds Boro villa and Burnley let the auction begin at 5 million and see where it takes us

That Howson is a decent player there is no doubt. He has been the stalwart of our team for a number of years, an automatic selection when available, is usually placed highly in any Player of the Season award and has some genuinely fervent supporters on this forum.

Why is it then that he has never followed the paths of Snodgrass, Brady, Redmond and even Fer and been picked off by a Premier League team whenever we have suffered relegation?

As a perpetual user of streams and commentaries I remember pointing out on this forum some two years ago the number of times quite advanced into a game that Howson''s name was first mentioned by the commentator, (Oh! Howson''s playing?)

I was willing to give ground to those Howsonites actually at the game and accept that the player often got on and excelled with those less "visible" contributions that are always needed.

Now I note that many on here have referred to the fact that he "often goes missing" in games.

Is the fact of the matter that JH has a certain ceiling to his game and that this is confirmed by the fact that although he has often performed well at Premier League level he hardly ever seems to be able to stand out anymore when playing at Championship level?

I would accept £5-6m. A pity in some ways but time for a change.

We''re always a worse team without him in the side. You don''t tend to notice him in some games much when he''s playing but you always know when he''s not. But, if he wants to leave there''s not an awful lot we can do, he''s approaching 30 and not managed to establish himself as a comfortable PL performer, 5 million is about right imo.

If he''s told us he wants to leave you can bet your life his agent has made every northern C''ship/PL team aware and that will affect his value.

[quote user="Horse Renoir"]We''re always a worse team without him in the side. You don''t tend to notice him in some games much when he''s playing but you always know when he''s not. But, if he wants to leave there''s not an awful lot we can do, he''s approaching 30 and not managed to establish himself as a comfortable PL performer, 5 million is about right imo.

If he''s told us he wants to leave you can bet your life his agent has made every northern C''ship/PL team aware and that will affect his value.[/quote]

He hasn''t told us he wants to leave. We want to sell him to raise cash.