Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Wildschut - implications?

I wasn''t at the game last night but ''solid'' is not the way I would describe Whittaker.

He likes to get forward and isn''t quick enough to get back and cover and his positional discipline is pretty poor.

@barking mad barclay boy

Didnt know he was on the pitch till he was subbed.

Showed one glimpse of brilliance in the first half when he dispossessed a player on the half way line, shrugged of the attentions of 2 players and showed great pace to get up the pitch and send in a good cross, which unfortunately came to nothing,

Wasn''t that Djiks Lessingham?

Wildschut was struggling with an injury before coming to Norwich and he''d hardly be the first player to not hit the ground running at a new club.

Was anonymous last night though and rightly taken off.

Hopefully he''ll start to show some better performances soon though.

There were a lot of people pretty confused by this transfer though when it came out - especially the price. Not sure it was the greatest move ever personally.

I think what troubles me a bit with Wildschut is that he doesn''t look particularly quick. Maybe he''s lacking fitness but I was expecting a lot more. With Pinto, even though defensively he was poor you could see straight away that there was a good technical player in there. same with Oliveira although I must admit how much he has improved since notching his first goal has been a surprise.

Perhaps Wildschut just needs one big performance to get his confidence up and will then look a different player but at the moment it looks a bit like we''ve overspent on him, even though I do expect him to improve.

Spending £7 million in the January transfer window in the season when '' promotion,promotion,promotion '' was the only objective does not allow for players to given time to find their feet. He has looked poor in the two home appearances i have witnessed and by all accounts was the same away from home and if anybody comes out with the old cliche that he is one for the future surely means we are content for Championship football again next season ?

Bethnal Yellow and Green

Wasn''t that Djiks Lessingham?

Wildschut was struggling with an injury before coming to Norwich and he''d hardly be the first player to not hit the ground running at a new club.

Was anonymous last night though and rightly taken off.

Hopefully he''ll start to show some better performances soon though.

There were a lot of people pretty confused by this transfer though when it came out - especially the price. Not sure it was the greatest move ever personally.

Got me doubting myself now BYG, in my mind i was convinced it was him, but wont put my shirt on it

I''m pretty sure BYG is right, I''ve been very impressed by Dijks in both his defending and attacking, he is an absolute beast of a player. Yanic on the other hand, is not a starting 11 player for me currently, I would prefer both Murphy''s to be playing.

Both Murphys?

What have you seen with both Murphys on the pitch to suggest they should both start at the same time?

Yes they have both looked good when on the pitch, but on the pitch together is when we tend to look our worst

Playing wide midfield is not just about getting forwards. Both Murphy''s on the pitch with Pinto and Djikes pushing on sounds great but what would our goals against tally look like?

Jarvis is much maligned but, like Wildschut, he covers back and keeps the team shape and conversely our full backs look more solid.

Its similar to the critism Tetty gets when he''s compared to Howson because plenty don''t recognise the value of the defensive side of the game, particularly when we don''t have the ball.

I really don''t get the idea that Jarvis offers good cover- whenever I''ve seen him he does a lot of running up and down but was no more helpful defensively than Redmond.

It sounded from commentary like Wildschut was giving the ball away quite a bit, meaning it was becoming difficult for Norwich to relieve the Newcastle pressure. That is also part of the defensive role of a winger.

[quote user="king canary"]I''m fairly certain that both Murphy''s have only started together once?[/quote]That''s probably true, but they have certainly been on the pitch at the same time together when one or the other has come on as a sub in the latter minutes.In fact, that happened last night. I don''t think our second half performance was made worse by it, though. It was bad already! [;)]

Both Murphy''s should never be on the pitch at the same team me when we are hanging on at the end of a game.

I love what they bring to the team but it ain''t guts and digging defensively.

Having one on gives a great out but surely not both.

I''m definitely not saying playing both Murphy''s at the same time is a particularly great move. What I am saying is that, based on what I''ve seen of Yanic so far, I''d rather be playing both Murphy''s than one of them plus Yanic.

This is not to say Yanic is a bad player he just looks nowhere near upto speed currently. Last night, he was absolutely anonymous both going forward and defensively so at this point in time, I''d go with both Murphy''s if I had to pick.

Doesn''t sound like Wildsschut did much again yesterday? Can''t see how fitness is a problem if he had been playing for Wigan most of the season and has now been involved in all games since he arrived. Early days yet I suppose but am wondering if this is money badly spent?

"Early days yet I suppose but am wondering if this is money badly spent?"

Ask any Wigan fan.

Clueless dope of a manager.

He''ll be the ruin of our Club if he is allowed to continue.

I guess he needs time but early indications are that he was massively over priced, prob a £2 million player really. Had we paid that the expectation wouldn''t be as high.

"Jamie Witherspoon wrote ,Would be interested to hear from anyone at the game re Wildschut yesterday. Very anonymous on the wireless. "

No worse than the rest of the bunch yesterday , took far to long when on the ball but there could be a player in there somewhere, at least he put in a bit of effort.

"Jamie Witherspoon wrote ,Would be interested to hear from anyone at the game re Wildschut yesterday. Very anonymous on the wireless. "

I was looking for Wildschut to be the key to opening up Burton yesterday. It was the type of match that should suit him - where physical attributes were to the fore.

He certainly seemed to be trying his best and had a couple of moments in the first half where he nearly broke through but ultimately he was ineffective. He and Jacob switched on about 30 mins but to no even less effect.

Wildschut seemed to tire badly in the second half and his replacement was long overdue.

From what I have seen of him so far he is a player of very limited ability. He is slow to spot a pass and his movement leaves a lot to be desired. His defensive work is non-existent and more often a hindrance with his clumsy challenges when he eventually gets close enough to a player.

I guess that it is still early days for him and I hope that he is still getting back up to speed after injury. If there is more to come I hope that he starts producing it soon.

Our recruitment has been highlighted as an area in need of improvement and so far the signing of Wildschut suggests that there is some way to go in that respect. Wigan must be laughing all the way to the bank.

[quote user="Jamie Witherspoon"]Would be interested to hear from anyone at the game re Wildschut yesterday. Very anonymous on the wireless.[/quote]

It was probably his best game so far, he had a couple of very good runs but no end product from them - just not enough from him overall for me. Overall was slightly less anonymous that Jacob but offered little going forward or defending.

Am sure he will improve but disappointing so far but far from the worst performer yesterday.; but then again disappointing described most of the team yesterday

While I''m not writing him off, Wildschut should have been the signing most likely to hit the ground running- he''s been playing regularly for a team in this league so shouldn''t have any match fitness issues or issues adjusting to the pace of the game here.

To be fair our better signings are when we don''t spend too much cash ie Oliveira. When we go big by our standards eg rvw and close the outcome can disappoint Pritchard is a bright spot though

Changing tack slightly but why when Josh Murphy came in against Forest and did more than his brother has in about two months (not meant to be a dig at Jacob but it''s the truth) in that game has he been ditched to the bench for the two following games?

@Jim

Yes that was something I''d wondered- Josh gave his best performance in a Norwich shirt v Forest and was promptly dropped for the next two games.

I thought the exact same thing Jim. Doesn''t really send a great message, particularly as Neil was bemoaning the lack of fresh legs. Josh for Jacob would have been the other obvious change yesterday but yet more nonesense from Neil.