Sign in to follow this  
Thecanaryfan

MATCH THREAD vs Newcastle.

But the substitution wasn''t made to shut up shop for 15 minutes, it was made to shut up shop for 10 minutes. If there had only been 4 minutes of injury time (how the hell did they make 6?!?) Then we would have won. This isn''t Neil''s fault, it''s the defenders not being able to concentrate til the end and the players giving the ball straight back after our kick off...

[quote user="Ginja"]Defensively just not good enough, I''d rather Newcastle had just won 1-0 and we write it off as a bad day, but this is beyond poor, letting a game slip like that is just unacceptable. I cannot conceive how we go forward when the same mistakes are made time and time again.
Devastated.
[/quote]

THIS. Nothing else to say. Heartbroken.

All those people saying that this result could end our season, you said the same after the Birmingham defeat and we won 5 games off the back of that nightmare.

Defence was as jittery as fcuk against Burton even with Klose in. Just hope this isn''t the turning point of the season but that must have been a morale sapping defeat. Lose at Wolves on Saturday and other results go against us we could go out of the top 6.

Of course it''s not going to end our season but AN must

take the blame for that and I expect that he will. Very poor management.

At least we''ve got this game at SJP out of the way early on in the season. We''re still second and the season is f****** long. I just hope this doesn''t put a stop to our decent form of late.

So I''ve just seen the two last Newcastle goals via twitter- the most notable thing is the amount of space being afforded to Gayle and Goufran despite having an extra man at the back.

Again, switching from a back 4 to a back 3 changes how you defend, who is picking up who and what runs need to be tracked. It doesn''t look like these defenders are comfortable in this system so again, why did we switch to it?

Oh and to those saying ''he only made it for 10 minutes not 15'' I think Neil is aware of the concept of time added on. Was it longer than expected? Sure. Does it change anything? Not one bit.

For those blaming Bennett watch goals 2, 3 and 4. All Bassong''s man I''m afraid. I don''t think he''s a bad defender at this level but his defending this eve has been disgraceful.

Only positive is we''re still in 2nd. Win at the weekend and it''s a bed of roses again.

Will Alex learn his lesson? I doubt it. We have to be smarter

than this. You''ve just got to have an outlet and a threat to

Score on the counter as they get more desperate and potentially

seal the win 4-1. Naieeeeeeeeeeeeve or what? I still like Alex

though he does my head in.

Additionally, to blame Neil is ludicrous..... Simply the team switched off, stopped concentrating and conceded ridiculous goals. Personally think the players owe us 3 pts at the weekend

[quote user="cornish sam"]But the substitution wasn''t made to shut up shop for 15 minutes, it was made to shut up shop for 10 minutes. If there had only been 4 minutes of injury time (how the hell did they make 6?!?) Then we would have won. This isn''t Neil''s fault, it''s the defenders not being able to concentrate til the end and the players giving the ball straight back after our kick off...[/quote]

Of course it helps if the defenders could concentrate at the start we rode our luck the defence was wobbling from minute 1. Our attacking players nearly got us a result but AN keeps falling back on old favourites and against good opposition who show up the deficiencies in those players that as been there in the top flight. fortunately those players won''t be tested to the same level on most occasions in ths division so we''ll most likely get away with it but let''s make no mistake the problem s still there and AN hasn''t sorted it.

@Cobain

It''s not ludicous to blame Neil. His substitution directly led to us being unable to get out of our half for the final 15 minutes and the barrage of balls going into the box. These defenders aren''t great so you want to minimise the pressure they come under not maximise it. Bassong, Martin and Bennett didn''t cover themselves in glory tonight but Neil didn''t exactly help them out.

Bennett was 3 yards off Gouffran for the 3rd who should have been his man.
Defending on 1, 2 and 3 woeful. 4th was a quality snapshot, not masses that could have been done to stop that one.

I consider that Neil''s mismanagement of the last quarter encapsulates all the reasons why there are constant doubts about him, why the ''give him ten games sentiment'' arose and why despite flirting with the top place many of us still worry that the wheels could come off at any time.

Tonight shouldn''t have happened. Our manager virtually invited a Newcastle come back.

[quote user="Cobain18"]For those blaming Bennett watch goals 2, 3 and 4. All Bassong''s man I''m afraid. I don''t think he''s a bad defender at this level but his defending this eve has been disgraceful.

Only positive is we''re still in 2nd. Win at the weekend and it''s a bed of roses again.[/quote]
On goal 3, Bassong had just made the block on the 18 yard line, and was coming back into the box. Benno stood 3 yards away from him and made no effort on the ball.
I''m no Bassong fan but number 3 was Bennett.

@Broadstairs

I''d agree with that.

The same problems keep showing up- it is mad to think this is the third 2 goal lead we''ve thrown away in 2016.

[quote user="Indy"]What have we learned? We can''t defend a lead, Bassong is a poor defender.......anything more?[/quote]

I wish Alex f**king Neil would learn something, specifically that the best way to alleviate pressure on the defence is to keep possession of the ball and to have an attacking outlet. That means playing Wes and not taking off your onw counter attacking outlet with 15 minutes left and surrendering all the impetus to Newcastle.

he really is completely and utterly clueless when it comes to game management and substitutions.

The lesson for tonight is dont tinker with a formation that has won 5 games on the bounce. Just dont do it Neil. Stop bloody tinkering for no good reason. 

Losing games is part of football, but losing games in the way we lost to Liverpool and now tonight is inexcusable. We seem to gather momentum and then hit the self-destruct button. The best way to kill off a team who are putting you under intense pressure is to have an outlet and play counter attacking football isn''t it ?

[quote user="shaunieboy77"]Losing games is part of football, but losing games in the way we lost to Liverpool and now tonight is inexcusable. We seem to gather momentum and then hit the self-destruct button. The best way to kill off a team who are putting you under intense pressure is to have an outlet and play counter attacking football isn''t it ?[/quote]''''
YES. But Neil doesn''t have the minerals. 

A totally gut-wrenching way to lose but we are still second and have 36 games left so this match decides nothing. It reminds me of our defeat at Leeds in League one when Forster miskicked a clearance to Beresford who ran on and scored to win a game we deserved to win.

In terms of number of wins, number of defeats and goals scored we are right up there. Unfortunately we rank thirteenth equal for goals conceded and ten conceded in five away games is a concern. The Bassong Martin combination is often an accident waiting to happen and I really hope that Klose''s omission was forced on AN rather than being a tactical change.

I will hold with my prediction of 15 points from the next nine games.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]I consider that Neil''s mismanagement of the last quarter encapsulates all the reasons why there are constant doubts about him, why the ''give him ten games sentiment'' arose and why despite flirting with the top place many of us still worry that the wheels could come off at any time.

Tonight shouldn''t have happened. Our manager virtually invited a Newcastle come back.[/quote]I think that sums it up nicely to be fair.

Hairy Canary wrote the following post at 28/09/2016 10:17 PM:

It''s the same lesson that he didn''t learn against Liverpool and West Ham last season. Why expect him to learn it this time? Third time lucky?

Maybe wishfull thinking😀. The big question about subs should have been asked in the interview.

The worst thing about tonight''s result is the massive lift and belief it gives Newcastle.

This could be the result/game that ensures there will only be one automatic promotion place up for grabs.