Sign in to follow this  
Huh?!

Marouane Chamakh on a free

How anybody can be trying to put a good spin on this is truly laughable after having all summer to sort this out . Why are we scrabbling about after the window has shut ? well there are whispers Jerome is out long term , if true pathetic and no more than this club deserves ,Laughing stock hardly covers it .

[quote user="norfolkngood"]well championship stats

jerome has scored 58 in 197 games = 1 in 3.3 games

Olive played 28 scored 9 = 1 goal in 3.1

chamakh has not played in this div ?

compare that with

ross mc played 303 scored 116 = 1 in 2.6 games

j rhodes 92 goals in 189 games = 1 in 2 games

Kodjia played 49 games scored 19 goals 1 = 2.5 games[/quote]Then compare the cost of our 3 against those 3 you mention £5.7m vs £38m ??

yes but will our 3 strikers get us the the money pot of EPL ?

I do not disagree with what you are saying

but i am just trying to point out

with the 3 strikers ( maybe ) will they score enough goals to get us up ? i doubt they will

now if we had signed a real goal scorer the picture would be totally different this morning

This seasons Elmander.

He''s slow, unselfish and fairly uninspiring, but he will offer something different to our forward line. I''d be surprised if he scores many goals though, even in this league

[quote user="CanaryOne"]How anybody can be trying to put a good spin on this is truly laughable after having all summer to sort this out . Why are we scrabbling about after the window has shut ? well there are whispers Jerome is out long term , if true pathetic and no more than this club deserves ,Laughing stock hardly covers it .[/quote]

dont think anybody''s attempting to put a spin on this?

the board, or whoever it may be has left us in a sh!t mess, and this is what we''re left with.....sifting through out of contract players, that''s where we are now unfortunatley........but maybe ,just maybe there might be someone out here that can do a job??

The "ratio" is ridiculous - it''s bad maths. For a start it doesn''t draw distinction between the level of football being played, it also includes 20 second substitute appearances, It also doesn''t factor in the age of players, so the ratio at their current age, could be far worse than suggested by this fag packet maths due to a few good seasons when they were much younger, or vice versa.

For example - a frontline of Jamie Cureton and Cody Macdonald has a ratio of 1 goal every 2.69 games. Should we make them our number 1 targets in January.

Stupid maths that doesn''t make sense.

[quote user="kick it off"]The "ratio" is ridiculous - it''s bad maths. For a start it doesn''t draw distinction between the level of football being played, it also includes 20 second substitute appearances, It also doesn''t factor in the age of players, so the ratio at their current age, could be far worse than suggested by this fag packet maths due to a few good seasons when they were much younger, or vice versa.

For example - a frontline of Jamie Cureton and Cody Macdonald has a ratio of 1 goal every 2.69 games. Should we make them our number 1 targets in January.

Stupid maths that doesn''t make sense.[/quote]

Spot on. It is totally misleading.

It also doesn''t take into account tactics and playing styles. Jordan Rhodes always plays in teams where he is the focal point, and he''s a player who does nothing but finish. Of course he''s going to score more goals than a player who works the channels, brings other players into play and creates chances for others.

Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm

not having a go just want to hear your thoughts are you happy with the strikers then ?

do you think they will score enough goals instead of one focal striker ?

If you want to draw a proper distinction - it needs to be minutes per goal, not appearances per goal, and it needs to be based on recent form, not Jerome''s appearances 10 years ago. It also doesn''t factor in playing in different teams, with different quality players and tactics, but that can never be resolved.

So let''s cut it down to their most recent Champs seasons (I''m not cherry picking, I genuinely haven''t looked up the stats for this yet and am writing the post as I go). It''s still not perfect maths, but it''s more realistic than adding up total career apps across all levels. I''ve also added in number of assists - haven''t worked out mins per assist as that''s overkill, but it at least vaguely shows if they''re offering more to the team than goals.

Jerome: 1 goal per 176 minutes (+7 assists) (2014-2015 season)

McCormack: 1 goal per 192 minutes (+9 assists) (2015-16 Season)

Kodjia: 1 goal per 184 minutes (+3 assists) (2015-16 season)

Oliviera: 1 goal per 230 minutes (No assists) (2015-16)

Nahki Wells: 1 goal per 201mins (4 assists) (2015-16)

Like I said, not perfect maths, but a far more relevant breakdown than that stupid ratio. In terms of goals per minute, Jerome in 2015 was better than McC and Kodjia last season which surprised me.

I think this is quite simple, no need for maths

Does he improve our starting XI?

- No, but we have Jerome & Oliviera who will be fighting for the starting spot

Does he improve our squad?

- Yes, he is better than Lafferty/Morris. This is what we need more than a starting striker imo

Dont think it would be a bad signing at all

[quote user="norfolkngood"]Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm

not having a go just want to hear your thoughts are you happy with the strikers then ?

do you think they will score enough goals instead of one focal striker ?[/quote]

No I''m not, and you know I''m not. We''ve been seriously let down as our strikeforce isn''t good enough.

However, the point I was making was that you can''t judge everything by goalscoring records. As has been pointed out before, Jamie Cureton for example had a great goalscoring record, but I''d still rather have a Huckerby type forward who may not score as many, but does more.

Arsenal season ticket holder I know has told me this morning ''well, he''s a lot better footballer than bloody Bentdner! But you only want him for 3rd choice anyway (spelling?!)''

At least if this comes off we have another striker we weren''t expecting after last nights window closed. I say give the bloke a chance, as we always bloody should for christs sake!. To be fair, if you think about it, he''s probably technically a better footballer than the majority of the many forwards in the championship and would only be 3rd choice!

Over previous seasons we have had Jerome, Lafferty, Grabban and Hooper then Jerome, Lafferty, Hooper and Mbokani now we have Jerome, Lafferty,Oliveria, Morris how is the current strikers better than previous seasons i just dont see it and adding Chamakh does nothing for me

[quote user="KeiranShikari"]Moroccan all over the world.[/quote]Has a qualification in accountancy and has dabbled in politics.Maybe we are looking to replace someone else.

[quote user="Molly Windley"][quote user="KeiranShikari"]Moroccan all over the world.[/quote]Has a qualification in accountancy and has dabbled in politics.Maybe we are looking to replace someone else.[/quote]

Sorry, hit quote instead of reply

Apparently a medical is on the cards this afternoon.

Oh deary dear, I suppose this is our season saving signing.

That said, I won''t knock him until I''ve seen him play for us, he might turn out to be a great piece of business.

To be honest at this stage we just need another vaguely competent body in the squad to cover for Jerome. On the basis we are now restricted to free agents we could do worse.