Sign in to follow this  
Huh?!

Marouane Chamakh on a free

It''s pretty simple logic I think -

Do we need another striker at the club? - Yes, without a doubt - maybe the only thing every single fan on this board is agreed on.

Do we have 2 good strikers and one potentially exciting youngster already? - Yes. We need a 3rd experienced striker as cover.

Is Chamakh better than Jerome or Oliveira? - No, which is fine as he''d be coming in as a 3rd-choice.

Is he better than Lafferty? Jury''s out, but the stats and anecdotal evidence certainly say he''s no worse, and Lafferty clearly isn''t in a fit mental state to be playing (and arguably doesn''t deserve to wear the shirt).

Is he better than Morris? Yes, at the moment, and also could be a good role model to help Morris develop as the season goes on.

Is he basically the only player available who would actually add anything to our existing squad and isn''t a complete asshat like Bendtner? Yes.

I used to go to uni with a Palace fan. Asked him how he thought Chamakh would get on in the Champs and his perception was "if he is fit and stays injury free, he''ll be head and shoulders above the rest of your squad, he''s a real class act.". He wasn''t taking the mick out of our squad, he just rates Chamakh that highly. 
As a squad player, there really is no harm in this deal. If he forces his way into the starting 11 then great, if not then he''s a great option to have on the bench and different to what we already have. If he flops then who cares, we got him on the cheap.

KIO, fair points there and have to agree. The thing is though we were all hoping for a marque CF and this has failed to materialise.

While this is obviously not the striker any of us were hoping we were going to sign this window, this is probably one of the best options available now the window is shut.

Agree Ron, however, as I keep being told on the Brexit thread, time to move on and make the best of things. [;)]
We are where we are, and no measure of frustration will bring in a marquee CF now, Chamakh isn''t the ideal signing, but he does provide us with depth which we need, and something a little bit different up top. It may work, it may not, but taking a punt on him is better than taking a punt on no-one, and it''s certainly better than giving Leon Best the number 9 shirt [:D]

Love the fact that even a free agent takes days to resolve, no wonder we lost out on all probable targets.

Our recruitment and negotiating team ought to be sacked for complete incompetence!

[quote user="im spartacus"]If we pay him 40k a week that''s 2m for a year no other outlay what''s the problem ?[/quote]

Other players - upsetting the bandwagon?

[quote user="Huh"]You cannot comment on his scoring record without first looking at what type of player he is...

He''s not a fox in the box. He''s not a striker who will stand in the 18 yard area waiting for the ball to come to him and finish it top corner. He also isn''t a striker who just thrives off crosses all the time. He has a lot more to his game, and if you ask Palace fans about his performances before last year a lot will say he was very decent...! There are loads of strikers like him around who I''m sure you would piss your pants over.

Saying his scoring record is terrible is a very naive way of looking at it. Before questioning that, look at what sort of striker he is. He can hold up play, allowing attacking MF''s to join in and even get in behind him. Something we currently do not have. How many times do we see Jerome run the channels, only for NOBODY to be in the box waiting....

Before you slate, wait to see him. Before questioning his scoring ability, take actual facts about his playing style. To make some of you even more happy, I don''t think signing him is a bad thing. Much better option than Jerome Sinclair imho.[/quote]

This^^. I remember him signing for palace and what a difficult player he was to defend against.  Not prolific, but for nuisance value, very good. His signing for us is  no-brainer - even if he takes a while to get fully fit.  He has had a long term injury and with no cost up front apart from maybe a modest signing on fee, he would be a great addition to the squad. A 32 he will still have something in his locker. When  a player has spent a lot of time out through injury as he has done over the last three years, it often means his body still has plenty in it, as it hasn''t had the wear and tear of a player who has been playing all the time.  If he has been training and can be assessed as being able to get back to full fitness, then he will be a welcome addition.  Not a starter, but an alternative in the squad well up to the standard required. I really hope he signs.

I''d like this to happen. Partly because bearing in mind Jerome''s scoring stats in the Prem and in the Champs, partly because I watched him playing against City at Selhurst Park on 1st January in 13/14, when he looked pretty good, (apart from the fact that he should have been red carded for grabbing Wes (?) by the throat).

"think we''ve got lots of decisions to make.

There''s going to be lots of discussions happening over the next few

days and then obviously we''ll see who''s coming with us next season.

There''s a number of players been here for a number of years. We''ve

got a team that''s getting older so it''s just whether we deem we need to

freshen it up, how much we need to freshen it up, and if we''ve got

resources available to us"

– Alex Neil

so well make that better by signing a 32 year old striker whos only scored 15 goals in 6 years

Bassong and chamakh double act. Chamakh has declared interest in WBA though. He doesn''t love us like I hoped he did. We should buy him a millies cookie to show how much we love him.

[quote user="Making Plans"]Is it any wonder that we lose out on signings when it takes so long to sort this out - it''s now going on into next week FFS.[/quote]And now he''s playing in a friendly for WBA this afternoon.

You have to smile, fans were jumping up and down at the thought of this player coming in, now hes playing for WBA today fans are moaning that he''s slipped through the net lol

Ironic : Chamakh limps off injured after 26minutes in his trial match for West Brom vs. DelhiDynamos....

[quote user="My spoon is too big"]Apparently he got a cut on his leg. Not the kind of injury where you can really draw conclusions about how fit / over the hill he is.[/quote]
Skins too thin.
Pass.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="My spoon is too big"]Apparently he got a cut on his leg. Not the kind of injury where you can really draw conclusions about how fit / over the hill he is.[/quote]
Skins too thin.
Pass.
[/quote]Like everyone on here then.....

and now Bendtner confirmed as a forest player.

The sky is falling down.