Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

F.A.O. Lakey, A Hat-Trick And 10/10.

Indy

Despite all this, I still don''t say he''s a bad player from a technical standpoint, but when the team is funnelling most of their passing through a player I expect them to actually do more with it than slow the game down and go nowhere...especially when your star striker is making plenty of good runs and you''re just ignoring them and looking for a foul instead...

Indy do you think it was possibly because of the lack of support in any numbers from his team mates ? the one thing we are seeing this season is more people getting forward a bit quicker.... if we just had a finisher, there''s a thought.

The bottom line is to ask what you look for in a footballer.  For me, the personality is important.  Yes, they have to be whole hearted and dedicated and try really hard - of course, but for me an NCFC player has to be totally selfless in their approach and totally team orientated - unlessthey were so good that they could win atches on their own.  You  could look at Huckerby and think - there is a selfish player and partly you''d be right. But in his selfishness, he quite often came up with the goods in terms of a decent shot or a goal. Selfishness justified.  My concerns about Snodgrass, which I aired even before we signed him, was that he wouldn''t be a good enough team player. Yes, he had talent, but so often misused that talent - and at Leeds, where goals dried up for them the season he was made captain. Surprise surprise.   You can build a team around a player if he is good enough, but if he isn''t and your team is still based around that player, then you are only going to have a team as good that player does.  We were relegated that second season he was here and the driving force?  Snodgrass.  Six goals, yes, a few assists, yes.  Many wasted opportunities because of him?  Yes.   If Redmond had played on the right, or Benno if he had been fit, would the team play have been more balanced?  Imo, yes. But Snodgrass was a good technical player and on the face of it deserved to be picked, but so, so often he failed to do anything with the ball. So often that I would be tearing my hair out at his slowness and wastefuleness.  Potentially a great player, but not that season. Not particuarly the previous season either. Stats show that and just watching those games confirms that.  I''m no stats man, but I can recognise a team player when I see one.  It''s going to be fascinating to see how he does this season and if he can be the driving force behind Hull.  If he is and they do well over the whole season, not just the first few games,  I''ll hold my hands up and say well done, but if they drop back and Hull stutter and fail to make headway.....The reality is, beacuse of the way he is, he needs to be the driving force in a team - he demands that - he wants to be that - but is he good enough to do that in the premier league over a whole season? We shall see.

Fair enough LDC! Time will tell!

I do still think there''s more to Snodgrass'' heavy influence on our play than him simply ''demanding the ball''. Didn''t our other players want the ball? Surely that has to be down to the other players WANTING to give him the ball?

The impression I get from your explanation is that you think our players didn''t want to give him the ball yet for some reason felt they had to?

I did see some of the bad you list in his game and understand why people could dislike his attitude on the pitch sometimes. But his determination and passion for the cause was second-to-none.

Do you honestly think we''d have done better with Bennett and Redmond as our main wingers that season?

So if Hull; newly promoted, big issues with owner, no manager, poorer transfer window than us(!) ''drop back'' from 5th and perform badly then LDC was right and Snoddy was and is, rubbish....?

You mention Hucks. He was our driving force, in an ultimately relegated team? He was appreciated for his efforts and individual skill in a poor team during a poor season. I''m not saying Snoddy was as good as Hucks but then I didn''t start making the comparison..

I look for positive contribution, by which I mean goals, assists, chances created and threats closed down.

I don''t have enough self confidence to think I can assess accurately someone else''s character or personality based on their actions on a football pitch.

I also trust the opinion of people who know more about the game than me, such as whoever made him captain of his national side. Oh, and my fellow city fans who voted him player of the season.

It is a simple game if you want it to be.

RvW = gash

Naismith = so far, gash

Snodgrass = decent

So what''s wrong with Snoddys personality. He''s a likable good guy. What is all this stuff based on??

I''ve long had the view that some people judge a footballer by what''s appealing to their eyes. Sort of like a beauty contest....

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]I look for positive contribution, by which I mean goals, assists, chances created and threats closed down.

I don''t have enough self confidence to think I can assess accurately someone else''s character or personality based on their actions on a football pitch.

I also trust the opinion of people who know more about the game than me, such as whoever made him captain of his national side. Oh, and my fellow city fans who voted him player of the season.

It is a simple game if you want it to be.

RvW = gash

Naismith = so far, gash

Snodgrass = decent[/quote]

[Y]The only change I''d make to that would be

Snodgrass = very decent

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="hogesar"]I think the problem for some in here is they were easily sucked into the Big Bad Wolf ad campaign and are too embarrassed now to admit it. That''s the only plausible reason for being so in-denial about one particular player being so bad, whilst being so intent on criticising player that gave his all, won POTS, was top scorer, and then even moved on with a profit for NCFC.[/quote]You just can''t accept that other people don''t share your opinion can you Hog?I''ve taken ALL the mitigating circumstances into account regarding my view on RvW, and it''s got f**k all to do with a marketing campaign and everything to do with what happened on the pitch.At no point have I said Snoddy was unpopular, but he has an ego the size of Texas and is clearly over-confident in his abilities which was blindingly evident with those incessant runs to nowhere when a simple pass was actually on.As for POTS, don''t make me laugh, if the likes of Lee Croft and Gary Doherty can win it, then it really is pointless, and he was JOINT top scorer (remember Hooper) with a mere 6 goals yet I wonder how many more the likes of Hooper, RvW et al would have had if he''d not been slinging in pointless crosses, running down blind alleys and generally doing very little that wasn''t towards the aim of making himself look decent...Despite all this, I still don''t say he''s a bad player from a technical standpoint, but when the team is funnelling most of their passing through a player I expect them to actually do more with it than slow the game down and go nowhere...especially when your star striker is making plenty of good runs and you''re just ignoring them and looking for a foul instead...[/quote]
In this case? No, I really can''t understand it.

It''s human nature to want to have heroes and in that season, they were hard to come by.  Presumably, people looked at Snodgrass and saw someone who appeared to be giving it everything and forgave his idiosyncracies because they needed someone to be a shining light in a dreadful season - and he did have some success (even if as Indy and myself have argued it was at the expense of the rest of the team).  My observations of him and his behaviour as demonstrated every match that season - and highlighted dramatically with that penalty - confirmed what I had gleaned from watching him the previous season and what Leeds fans said about him - he was a one man show and fine if things were going well, but if things were bad, his worst traits came to the fore - in other words trying to do it all on his own - which is exactly how it seemed to me that season. 

[quote user="lake district canary"]My observations of him and his behaviour as demonstrated every match that season - and highlighted dramatically with that penalty - confirmed what I had gleaned from watching him the previous season and what Leeds fans said about him - he was a one man show and fine if things were going well, but if things were bad, his worst traits came to the fore - in other words trying to do it all on his own - which is exactly how it seemed to me that season.  [/quote]
Well, having spoke to actual Leeds fans including family, that was a very, very minority view if it existed at all. They were gutted to be selling him, Warnock wanted to build the team around him.

[quote user="hogesar"]Warnock wanted to build the team around him.[/quote]Probably because Snoddy demanded he did or he''d leave... [;)]

I see you guys are still at it this morning. You should know by now that Lakey never knows when to call it a day. [:P]

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="hogesar"]Warnock wanted to build the team around him.[/quote]Probably because Snoddy demanded he did or he''d leave... [;)][/quote]
Knew that was coming from someone! [:D]

So, came on for Hull on Sunday recovering from an injury as two of their strikers suffered injuries, inspired a turnaround from 1-0 down to a 2-1 win, with a goal and an assist to boot.

But of course, he was never good enough for us..

Just sayin''

"Robert Snodgrass inspired Hull City to victory against Southampton as

Mike Phelan earned his first three points since being appointed

permanent head coach.First, Snodgrass - introduced from the bench for the stricken Keane -

swept home his fourth league goal of the season from Sam Clucas'' low

cross before the Scotland international delivered an inviting free-kick

that Michael Dawson headed past Fraser Forster.The best that could be said for the early loss of Hull''s strikers was

that it gave an opportunity for Snodgrass to return earlier than

expected after missing the past two matches with an ankle injury.But his entrance from the bench following Keane''s injury midway

through the first half did not appear to be asking too much of the

Tigers'' top scorer - far from it.Instantly the hosts appeared to

have greater urgency with the 29-year-old on the pitch, having looked

sluggish and uninspired for 26 minutes before his introduction.

Empty seats dotted a ground that used to be filled to the rafters in

the second and third tiers, and the dark mood of many home fans in

attendance cannot have been lost on the players.

Yet Snodgrass''

tireless running lifted not only the fans but his team-mates, and his

well-taken 61st-minute goal followed moments later by a perfect assist

for Dawson was just reward for his endeavour."

How I wish we still had him. [:(]

[quote user="lappinitup"]"Robert Snodgrass inspired Hull City to victory against Southampton as

Mike Phelan earned his first three points since being appointed

permanent head coach.First, Snodgrass - introduced from the bench for the stricken Keane -

swept home his fourth league goal of the season from Sam Clucas'' low

cross before the Scotland international delivered an inviting free-kick

that Michael Dawson headed past Fraser Forster.The best that could be said for the early loss of Hull''s strikers was

that it gave an opportunity for Snodgrass to return earlier than

expected after missing the past two matches with an ankle injury.But his entrance from the bench following Keane''s injury midway

through the first half did not appear to be asking too much of the

Tigers'' top scorer - far from it.Instantly the hosts appeared to

have greater urgency with the 29-year-old on the pitch, having looked

sluggish and uninspired for 26 minutes before his introduction.

Empty seats dotted a ground that used to be filled to the rafters in

the second and third tiers, and the dark mood of many home fans in

attendance cannot have been lost on the players.

Yet Snodgrass''

tireless running lifted not only the fans but his team-mates, and his

well-taken 61st-minute goal followed moments later by a perfect assist

for Dawson was just reward for his endeavour."

How I wish we still had him. [:(]

[/quote]Lifting his teammates?  Showing endeavour?  Wouldn''t do here at all Lapps![;)]

[quote user="OldRobert"]Lifting his teammates?  Showing endeavour?  Wouldn''t do here at all Lapps![;)][/quote]You must have been watching the same dodgy stream as Lakey OR. [:)]

LAPPIN! I was saving those quotes for the inevitable "Yeah but was it anything to do with him or did he just hog the ball and disadvantage the team" etc etc....

[quote user="hogesar"]LAPPIN! I was saving those quotes for the inevitable "Yeah but was it anything to do with him or did he just hog the ball and disadvantage the team" etc etc....[/quote]Sorry Hoggy, I was just trying to save Lakey from further embarrassment by continuing with his nonsense and from showing himself up with his total lack of football knowledge. [;)]

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/hull-city-player-of-the-season-so-far-have-your-say/story-29876893-detail/story.html

Sorry cant get the clicky!

Anyway runaway POTS so far (amazing with his injuries), when will they learn, he is not a team player ;-)

Before you lot carry on your crowing, remind me again where Hull are in the Premier League table??   If they are relegated and he is their player of the season, then there is at least a certain amount of deja vu there, I would say.  He undoubtedly has talent, but if the teams he plays in don''t do very well overall, then there may be a certain amount of credence to my criticism - Snodgrass does well for Snodgrass.....Let''s wait till the end of the season and see what happens, eh?

Seriously Lakey? I don''t understand your latest comments whatsoever, you are in serious denial. Just admit it, he''s having a great season and deserves much credit.

Lake District, what would you do if there was a whole team of Snodgrasses a la ''Being John Maljovic''. Surely the whole team would be playing for Snodgrass as Snodgrass. Mind. Blown.

[quote user="Alex "]Seriously Lakey? I don''t understand your latest comments whatsoever, you are in serious denial. Just admit it, he''s having a great season and deserves much credit.[/quote]

I don''t doubt his talent.  My criticism has always been about his need to feel that he is the dominant force in a team.  He tried to be that at Leeds - and the season he was made captain there, the goals dried up and the team didn''t do well.  He tried to be the main man at CR after Holt left, dominating proceedings in an unbalanced way, often holding on to the ball way too long, leaving other players high and dry.  He is now the dominant force at Hull - they are not doing well.  I can see his ability, but I recognise character traits too - the penalty debacle, his tantrums and hissy fits every time he fell over, even though he had probably just run into yet another dead end - the run in he had with the crowd - the need to put himself forward to get the Scotland captain''s job - most players would wait to be asked.   He does not appear to me to be content just to be a good team player and any player who wants so obviously to be the main man is detrimental to the team - unless he is good enough to take them on a run of success - and up to now he has not done that.   Thankfully Holt was the captain in his first season with us, but once he went, Snodgrass tried to take over his mantle.   I wonder how the season at Hull will develop - if they revive with him as the best player, I''ll revise my opinion, but up till now?  Third from bottom, Snodgrass the main man....  Plenty of time to prove me wrong, of course, so let''s just wait and see.

Is it so controversial to say he was a highly talented player while at norwich but let down by his attitude?

Frankly I don''t care what he is doing at Hull and it won''t prove anything. If he does well it would be legitimate to claim his attitude has improved; If he does badly it''s a case of ''told you so''. I''m not going to watch hull to see if he has talent and aptitude as I don''t care enough.

Talking of which I saw rvw scored again at the weekend, and don''t anyone tell me that heracles are not a strong team...