Sign in to follow this  
firststeps

Benik Afobe

Not a chance to get Afobe, its clear Wolves will look for at least 15 mill and City will never pay a price that high, if rumours are right they would not pay 15 mill for Austin even. Not that Austin would come here anyway, he has his heart set on a move to West Ham or another London club. As to why would City bid a 2nd time when Wolves already said no sale..well same as Bournemouth bidding 2 or 3 times for Grabban even though Alex has said firmly no selling to a rival...you still hope that your money talks louder than their words,,,sometimes it pays off and sometimes it doesnt.

Not really. It''s pretty much just following the usual trend at the moment. A club goes to another club to bid for a player. More often than not that club will reject that first bid, it''s very unusual a first bid is accepted. Then he selling club comes out saying they don''t want to/will not sell said player to appease the fans and either put off or drive up the bid from the other club. Then, as expected, the buying club come back with another bid and that is pretty much where we are up to. The rest is unknown but the early exchanges are very predictable.

How long before clubs put players on EBAY with a reserve?

Funny that clubs do business in this manner, surely the best way is behind closed doors between agent, player and the two CEO or whoever is in charge of transfers. Once and agreed price has been agreed if the club wish to sell then the agent may inform other clubs of the price allowing the player his choice.

To bid again in a manner which becomes public and wait for the club to respond is a tad rubbish and unsettling.

[quote user="Fuzzar"]Do you really have no idea how negotiations work Crafty? And you seem very generous with somebody else''s money.[/quote]

I am confident that I have been involved in more business negotiations than you Fuzzar. I know that if I am trying to persuade someone to accept my position it is not a good idea to insult them with silly offers. Of course we want to get the best price we can but guess what? So do Wolves and if they have no need to sell the price will be higher than normal. If we can''t afford it, fine and walk away. If we can then be serious and make sensible offers.

When people made me silly offers my response was to either raise the asking price or to end the negotiations so as to not have them waste my time. Quite often they got the message and a satisfactory conclusion could be reached.

I would imagine it was Norwich that made the first bid public knowledge to try and nudge Afobe into kicking off. They certainly very publicly sent Alex Neil and our Chief Scout (Head of Recruitment) to the game so weren''t shy about anyone else knowing.

First bids are rejected 99.9% of the time and are used to make the club and player know there is serious interest - from there on out it gets serious

As I said before, there doesn''t seem enough time to get Wolves to back down, Afobe has 3 years on his contract left so he doesn''t have a huge amount of power anyway. Wolves can just block away for 6 days and then not have to worry about it until January at least.

As for the Chase/Sutton mentions, I guess if Norwich were to make an offer equivalent to then £5m offer then Wolves would sell. In today''s money it would be about £50m. (The record price for an English player).

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]I would imagine it was Norwich that made the first bid public knowledge to try and nudge Afobe into kicking off. They certainly very publicly sent Alex Neil and our Chief Scout (Head of Recruitment) to the game so weren''t shy about anyone else knowing. First bids are rejected 99.9% of the time and are used to make the club and player know there is serious interest - from there on out it gets serious As I said before, there doesn''t seem enough time to get Wolves to back down, Afobe has 3 years on his contract left so he doesn''t have a huge amount of power anyway. Wolves can just block away for 6 days and then not have to worry about it until January at least. As for the Chase/Sutton mentions, I guess if Norwich were to make an offer equivalent to then £5m offer then Wolves would sell. In today''s money it would be about £50m. (The record price for an English player).[/quote]

I think you mean in today''s market, Bethnal, not "today''s money". Perhaps 5 million in today''s money would be closer to 10 million. In any event, I''m not sure I would agree with whoever is comparing Afobe with the Chris Sutton situation, who was playing in the top level when he was transferred to Blackburn. so comparing his value with Afobe is apples and oranges and, therefore, meaningless.

[quote user="Al Harrington"]Not really. It''s pretty much just following the usual trend at the moment. A club goes to another club to bid for a player. More often than not that club will reject that first bid, it''s very unusual a first bid is accepted. Then he selling club comes out saying they don''t want to/will not sell said player to appease the fans and either put off or drive up the bid from the other club. Then, as expected, the buying club come back with another bid and that is pretty much where we are up to. The rest is unknown but the early exchanges are very predictable.[/quote]
Yes of course it''s not unusual for a club to make subsequent bids after their initial bid is rejected, but the statement from Wolves went beyond the normal "not for sale" that one would normally expect. I''m tempted to say they protest too much, but time will tell how it pans out.

Two things spring to mind:

1) Wolves haven''t come out today and publicly rejected the offer. Maybe promising!

2) Stones has now handed ina xfer request. I can''t believe for a minute Afobe wouldn''t jump at the chance to have massively improved salary and play in Premiership. Every player would jump at that chance.

[quote user="Russell Martin Peanut Smuggler"][quote user="Al Harrington"]Not really. It''s pretty much just following the usual trend at the moment. A club goes to another club to bid for a player. More often than not that club will reject that first bid, it''s very unusual a first bid is accepted. Then he selling club comes out saying they don''t want to/will not sell said player to appease the fans and either put off or drive up the bid from the other club. Then, as expected, the buying club come back with another bid and that is pretty much where we are up to. The rest is unknown but the early exchanges are very predictable.[/quote]
Yes of course it''s not unusual for a club to make subsequent bids after their initial bid is rejected, but the statement from Wolves went beyond the normal "not for sale" that one would normally expect. I''m tempted to say they protest too much, but time will tell how it pans out.
[/quote]Not only that - it was as categoric as it is possible to be - but the statement also said there would be no more statements no matter what. Ie, even if new bids came in. I mention this because some fans are making something of the fact that Wolves have not publicly rejected our new bid. In effect they already had.That doesn''t mean that if the player started to indicate he wanted out, and we offered a player or players as immediate replacements, which strikes me as our main advantage over other clubs, that Wolves might not start to waver. They could do.

Well Wolves have now put a price on him £14m. We offered £8m. £12m might do it. But would we?

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Russell Martin Peanut Smuggler"][quote user="Al Harrington"]Not really. It''s pretty much just following the usual trend at the moment. A club goes to another club to bid for a player. More often than not that club will reject that first bid, it''s very unusual a first bid is accepted. Then he selling club comes out saying they don''t want to/will not sell said player to appease the fans and either put off or drive up the bid from the other club. Then, as expected, the buying club come back with another bid and that is pretty much where we are up to. The rest is unknown but the early exchanges are very predictable.[/quote]
[/quote]Not only that - it was as categoric as it is possible to be - but the statement also said there would be no more statements no matter what. Ie, even if new bids came in. I mention this because some fans are making something of the fact that Wolves have not publicly rejected our new bid. In effect they already had.That doesn''t mean that if the player started to indicate he wanted out, and we offered a player or players as immediate replacements, which strikes me as our main advantage over other clubs, that Wolves might not start to waver. They could do.[/quote]If the Mirror report is correct and Wolves have now put a price, albeit a very high one, on Afobe then that is a weakening of their position.

This will happen now, Grabban out for 6 million and we will match the 14 million required by Wolves.......well we can hope.

Did he say that?

I thought he said it was a flat no, and they weren''t selling any players this window.

I can''t profess to having seen much of him, but I''m surprised at some of the prospective transfer figures quoted on here.

On what planet is a 22 year old, with no Premier League experience worth anything north of £5m?

Fuzzar on no planet is anyone really worth 5 million, but football is for some reason the most stupid business and in the current climate if you want Afobe as already bid in the region of 8 million and rejected according to reports.

I suppose 14 million is small change should we stay up.

What on earth must redders be worth now then, in the best form of his career, plenty of prem and champs experience, performed in big game(wembley) etc etc?

Yes, I was wondering the same Westcork. Name your price!

For anything around the figures quoted for Afobe, I would hope to get a player with much more of a track record, even if that were from Europe. This would be one hell of a punt for a club like ours - can you imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth that would ensue if he had the same impact as Ricky?

There have been some crazy prices linked to players this window - Afobe, Gray, Rhodes, Mings, Austin, Wickham.

It must be down to the new TV deal. Teams with a chance of being in the Prem next season are desperate to be and sellers are taking advantage of it.

Aye Cantiaci, but ''tis the economics of both the poor and the madhouse...

Maybe we''ll go with what we''ve got, if they haven''t already all gone!

If we''re going to throw money at this situ to resolve it, and Wolves won''t sell Afobe, then I would be going straight to Ajax and asking what they want for Arkadiusz Milik. Will be better than Lewandowski, Ajax only paid 2.5 for him in the summer after a season long loan (where he scored 11 in 21 in the league and 8 in 3 in the cup (yes that is the right way round, he hit 5 against some no-hopers in an early round). Scored 4 in 9 in Europe too.
Would fit our system perfectly, can play as the lone striker, is quick, strong, holds the ball up and can score from anywhere. Exceptional in the air too. Only 21 and already scored 7 in 17 for the full national side (including the opener against Germany).
If they genuinely won''t sell Afobe, we need to be moving on and bringing in players like Milik or Batshuayi who are probably available at around the same price.

Good shout on Milik KIO, am very matey with an Ajax obsessive and he reckons Milik is the Dogs Doughnuts.

I would pay to see his face if we made Ajax an offer they couldnt refuse.