Sign in to follow this  
Move Klose

Breaking News

I''m quite torn by the prospect of Alex Neil becoming manager...

There is a large part of me that totally agrees with Portman King (I''m very sorry everyone)...

I''m merely saying that with your strongest squad ''on paper'' you''ve put it in the hands of two rookie managers. Wouldn''t it be better managed with someone who knows how to handle individuals, egos and the like? Someone who''s won this division before or the league below perhaps? I just don''t know what boxes this Alex Neil ticks personally.

It is indeed a HUGE gamble given the parachute payments and need to return to the Premier League in the very near future.

Yet another part of me bemoaned the appointments of Hughton and Adams for lacking any vision or for being very ''run of the mill'' and typical of ''little old Norwich'' whereas I do feel this looks like a very imaginative appointment driven by a belief in Alex Neil that he can progress and build upon some very impressive early managerial experience, albeit in a very different situation with Hamilton Accies.

Personally I feel Oscar Garcia formerly of Brighton has the Championship familiarity and record (and playing style) to warrant consideration as well as the gravitas from his playing days to manage the bigger ego''s and more senior players here.

Of course every appointment is a gamble but Alex Neil strikes me as being more so than most. Let''s hope we''re praising McNally''s vision in the near future.

[quote user="Stone"]I''m quite torn by the prospect of Alex Neil becoming manager...

There is a large part of me that totally agrees with Portman King (I''m very sorry everyone)...

I''m merely saying that with your strongest squad ''on paper'' you''ve put it in the hands of two rookie managers. Wouldn''t it be better managed with someone who knows how to handle individuals, egos and the like? Someone who''s won this division before or the league below perhaps? I just don''t know what boxes this Alex Neil ticks personally.

It is indeed a HUGE gamble given the parachute payments and need to return to the Premier League in the very near future.

Yet another part of me bemoaned the appointments of Hughton and Adams for lacking any vision or for being very ''run of the mill'' and typical of ''little old Norwich'' whereas I do feel this looks like a very imaginative appointment driven by a belief in Alex Neil that he can progress and build upon some very impressive early managerial experience, albeit in a very different situation with Hamilton Accies.

Personally I feel Oscar Garcia formerly of Brighton has the Championship familiarity and record (and playing style) to warrant consideration as well as the gravitas from his playing days to manage the bigger ego''s and more senior players here.

Of course every appointment is a gamble but Alex Neil strikes me as being more so than most. Let''s hope we''re praising McNally''s vision in the near future.[/quote]Has he recovered from the health problems that caused him to leave Watford?

I believe so, I definitely recall reading a month or two ago that he''s ready to return to management.

I really do not know what to think this is another huge risk , what with mid season and some very experienced ex Prem players many playing below par .

And you bring in another manager with limited track record and experience will he command respect of players, can he buy players in Jan window, what a mess this is.

I love the fact that Lennon was being seen as risk since no experience in English League etc , Bolton seem to have done OK since he arrived with limited squad and not much money.

This has all the stamp of another little Norwich appointment, God help the board if this fails!

Phelan should have been given a chance at least knows squad and what we need to acquire and has bags of experience

[quote user="Stone"]I believe so, I definitely recall reading a month or two ago that he''s ready to return to management.[/quote]Thanks, but the trouble is there is a difference between him saying that and it being entirely believed by a board of directors looking to fill a vacancy.

CJ I''m not so convinced that Phelan wanted the job but hope he is retained as a coach. His knowledge will be key as part of the coaching set up.

If Phelan''s not kept on and his contract being paid up, then I''d love to know what his pay equates to PER game. It would be laughable if he wasn''t "required" but surely these are the things McRiskit4abiscuit will be talking over with A.N

Indeed. I guess that sometimes health scares of that nature might cause you to lose that ''edge'' if you''re working in a high pressure environment too.

My Oscar Garcia thoughts amount to being a moot point anyway!

Get a grip ladies and gentlemen… please.The utter balls thrashed out across this and many other posts just highlight what is wrong with modern football.None of you, save the lads from the Accies and the other fella from Scotland who''s seen him first-hand, have a single idea what this lad is all about. You are simply basing your assumptions on your debatable perceptions of what Scottish football is like.Some of you were yelling for Lennon before Adams got the job. That would be the same Lennon that managed Celtic, best team in Scotland but who, if those that shout loudest were to be believed, would struggle to survive in the Championship. If I could be arsed to troll back through this forum to when Lambert got appointed I''m sure you''d find the same balls being spouted. Scottish football has a fine tradition of raising managers that go on to success in English football… I give you Shankley and Ferguson for starters. Both of whom had ropey starts and, if today''s clamour for instant success were in place back then, would not have made it past the first half-season. Yes, some from Scotland have tried and failed… we know enough about them… as have many English, Welsh, Irish, German, French, Italian managers etc etc etc. Let''s hope we''ve got one of the good ones!There''s a rather vocal minority of football fans generally, and here in particular, that seem to have forgotten about building a team, about having a modicum of patience, about giving people a chance. None of us have seen this fella manage, so why not chill out, open your minds (difficult for some of you I know) and allow this bloke the opportunity to build something. If he''s any good he will get us moving, if he''s not we go back to the merry-go-round and give someone else the chance.In Arsene Wenger and Jose Mourinho you have two world-class managers that never scaled heights as players. In Bobby Charlton and Alan Shearer (just two of many) you have two world-class players that never got going as managers… there are no guarantees… none… in football. We came down from the Premier League and suddenly we think we are Billy Big Boll*cks ''cos we have a few quid to chuck around. Yet this league is known to take no prisoners… it pays scant regard to reputation or history otherwise Bournemouth would be ten points adrift at the bottom and Forest would be 30 points clear at the top.Wind your necks in ffs… give the bloke a chance (if it is him that is appointed) and let''s see what he can do eh?It''s a gamble. The same gamble that Mackay, Lennon, Sherwood or any of the other names touted on here would be. A gamble. Because no-one can guarantee success in a game that is open to so many variables that can influence the end result.Take your seat. Plug yourself in and bellow yourself hoarse when you watch the team, be that home or away. That''s the only thing we can do to influence anything.Otherwise, go and support a team like Chelski or Man City. That''s about as near as a guarantee as you''re likely to get.

[quote user="Andy Larkin"]Get a grip ladies and gentlemen… please.The utter balls thrashed out across this and many other posts just highlight what is wrong with modern football.None of you, save the lads from the Accies and the other fella from Scotland who''s seen him first-hand, have a single idea what this lad is all about. You are simply basing your assumptions on your debatable perceptions of what Scottish football is like.Some of you were yelling for Lennon before Adams got the job. That would be the same Lennon that managed Celtic, best team in Scotland but who, if those that shout loudest were to be believed, would struggle to survive in the Championship. If I could be arsed to troll back through this forum to when Lambert got appointed I''m sure you''d find the same balls being spouted. Scottish football has a fine tradition of raising managers that go on to success in English football… I give you Shankley and Ferguson for starters. Both of whom had ropey starts and, if today''s clamour for instant success were in place back then, would not have made it past the first half-season. Yes, some from Scotland have tried and failed… we know enough about them… as have many English, Welsh, Irish, German, French, Italian managers etc etc etc. Let''s hope we''ve got one of the good ones!There''s a rather vocal minority of football fans generally, and here in particular, that seem to have forgotten about building a team, about having a modicum of patience, about giving people a chance. None of us have seen this fella manage, so why not chill out, open your minds (difficult for some of you I know) and allow this bloke the opportunity to build something. If he''s any good he will get us moving, if he''s not we go back to the merry-go-round and give someone else the chance.In Arsene Wenger and Jose Mourinho you have two world-class managers that never scaled heights as players. In Bobby Charlton and Alan Shearer (just two of many) you have two world-class players that never got going as managers… there are no guarantees… none… in football. We came down from the Premier League and suddenly we think we are Billy Big Boll*cks ''cos we have a few quid to chuck around. Yet this league is known to take no prisoners… it pays scant regard to reputation or history otherwise Bournemouth would be ten points adrift at the bottom and Forest would be 30 points clear at the top.Wind your necks in ffs… give the bloke a chance (if it is him that is appointed) and let''s see what he can do eh?It''s a gamble. The same gamble that Mackay, Lennon, Sherwood or any of the other names touted on here would be. A gamble. Because no-one can guarantee success in a game that is open to so many variables that can influence the end result.Take your seat. Plug yourself in and bellow yourself hoarse when you watch the team, be that home or away. That''s the only thing we can do to influence anything.Otherwise, go and support a team like Chelski or Man City. That''s about as near as a guarantee as you''re likely to get.

[/quote]If you don''t mind, Andy, I will carry on restricting myself to the occasional muted "Well played" but otherwise... 

Sorry I still don''t think he''s the man for the moment if it was threeyears down the line and we were still in the championship in need of a rebuild than yes someone like Birmingham I think he''d be great. But not us not know this is our one chance and this sounds like out of the frying pan into the fire . If it happens though I will back him but this situation scares me I do prey we''re no p#ssing it all away

[quote user="Maccys Back"]WHY OH WHY does it have to be one of them or even from the UK. Like that''s the only place in the world. Is it because foreign managers always fail lile koeman, jose, V.D.G, pinochio-tinio.

Surely after we scoured every nook and cranny of europe and adam''s was the best candidate then Alex Neil was second, then mcnally needs sacking for wasting the clubs funds flying easyjet all over when he could of just used a train ticket[/quote]Exactly the point I''ve tried to make on other threads.I''ve suggested names like Paulo Bento, Francesco Guidolin and even Frank Rijkaard, all of whom have impressive CV''s, plenty of relevant experience and would definitely bring a new approach to our club, but instead most of our fans were focusing on the usual dross names bandied round whenever a vacancy appears (Sherwood, Warnock, Adkins etc), and now suddenly out of left field comes an almost unheard of manager (this side of the border anyway) who has little more actual managerial experience than Adams (and in a league that''s about as good as League 1 at best most of the time), and we''re just meant to nod politely and draw nonsensical comparisons between him and Lambert and think all will be well...I have nothing against Alex Neil (after all, who the f**k is Alex Neil???), but I do take issue with our board making nonsense comments about scouring Europe for the best managers whilst blatantly overlooking available and frankly far more relevant and experienced options and instead going for the cheap nobody that presents just as much of a gamble as did Adams or Peter Grant for that matter.Whatever happens, I''ll give the new manager my support, but if it all goes t*ts up this time, then the board WILL be facing a Chase level revolt and it''s not likely to be pretty if that happens...

Really encouraged by this appointment. Not because I know much about the guy because I don''t. Encouraged because it shows that there is a plan in place and the boards target has been identified and approached. If it happens then this appointment is the polar opposite of what went on in the summer. This has a Lambert feeling about it. Thanks for the insight from the Hamilton fans and if this goes through sorry we will have taken your manager, we know all too well that feeling.

To think 12 months ago we were in the premier league........this is the calibre of manager we now look to attract.....I''ve no idea what to make of it !!

[quote user="Andy Larkin"]Get a grip ladies and gentlemen… please.The utter balls thrashed out across this and many other posts just highlight what is wrong with modern football.None of you, save the lads from the Accies and the other fella from Scotland who''s seen him first-hand, have a single idea what this lad is all about. You are simply basing your assumptions on your debatable perceptions of what Scottish football is like.Some of you were yelling for Lennon before Adams got the job. That would be the same Lennon that managed Celtic, best team in Scotland but who, if those that shout loudest were to be believed, would struggle to survive in the Championship. If I could be arsed to troll back through this forum to when Lambert got appointed I''m sure you''d find the same balls being spouted. Scottish football has a fine tradition of raising managers that go on to success in English football… I give you Shankley and Ferguson for starters. Both of whom had ropey starts and, if today''s clamour for instant success were in place back then, would not have made it past the first half-season. Yes, some from Scotland have tried and failed… we know enough about them… as have many English, Welsh, Irish, German, French, Italian managers etc etc etc. Let''s hope we''ve got one of the good ones!There''s a rather vocal minority of football fans generally, and here in particular, that seem to have forgotten about building a team, about having a modicum of patience, about giving people a chance. None of us have seen this fella manage, so why not chill out, open your minds (difficult for some of you I know) and allow this bloke the opportunity to build something. If he''s any good he will get us moving, if he''s not we go back to the merry-go-round and give someone else the chance.In Arsene Wenger and Jose Mourinho you have two world-class managers that never scaled heights as players. In Bobby Charlton and Alan Shearer (just two of many) you have two world-class players that never got going as managers… there are no guarantees… none… in football. We came down from the Premier League and suddenly we think we are Billy Big Boll*cks ''cos we have a few quid to chuck around. Yet this league is known to take no prisoners… it pays scant regard to reputation or history otherwise Bournemouth would be ten points adrift at the bottom and Forest would be 30 points clear at the top.Wind your necks in ffs… give the bloke a chance (if it is him that is appointed) and let''s see what he can do eh?It''s a gamble. The same gamble that Mackay, Lennon, Sherwood or any of the other names touted on here would be. A gamble. Because no-one can guarantee success in a game that is open to so many variables that can influence the end result.Take your seat. Plug yourself in and bellow yourself hoarse when you watch the team, be that home or away. That''s the only thing we can do to influence anything.Otherwise, go and support a team like Chelski or Man City. That''s about as near as a guarantee as you''re likely to get.

[/quote]Post more often FFS!!!![:D]

I give up I honestly give up what have we done to deserve these clowns running our club.

There needs to be a highly poisonous atmosphere at the Carra for the next game to show our revulsion at their continued ownership

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="Andy Larkin"]Get a grip ladies and gentlemen… please.The utter balls thrashed out across this and many other posts just highlight what is wrong with modern football.None of you, save the lads from the Accies and the other fella from Scotland who''s seen him first-hand, have a single idea what this lad is all about. You are simply basing your assumptions on your debatable perceptions of what Scottish football is like.Some of you were yelling for Lennon before Adams got the job. That would be the same Lennon that managed Celtic, best team in Scotland but who, if those that shout loudest were to be believed, would struggle to survive in the Championship. If I could be arsed to troll back through this forum to when Lambert got appointed I''m sure you''d find the same balls being spouted. Scottish football has a fine tradition of raising managers that go on to success in English football… I give you Shankley and Ferguson for starters. Both of whom had ropey starts and, if today''s clamour for instant success were in place back then, would not have made it past the first half-season. Yes, some from Scotland have tried and failed… we know enough about them… as have many English, Welsh, Irish, German, French, Italian managers etc etc etc. Let''s hope we''ve got one of the good ones!There''s a rather vocal minority of football fans generally, and here in particular, that seem to have forgotten about building a team, about having a modicum of patience, about giving people a chance. None of us have seen this fella manage, so why not chill out, open your minds (difficult for some of you I know) and allow this bloke the opportunity to build something. If he''s any good he will get us moving, if he''s not we go back to the merry-go-round and give someone else the chance.In Arsene Wenger and Jose Mourinho you have two world-class managers that never scaled heights as players. In Bobby Charlton and Alan Shearer (just two of many) you have two world-class players that never got going as managers… there are no guarantees… none… in football. We came down from the Premier League and suddenly we think we are Billy Big Boll*cks ''cos we have a few quid to chuck around. Yet this league is known to take no prisoners… it pays scant regard to reputation or history otherwise Bournemouth would be ten points adrift at the bottom and Forest would be 30 points clear at the top.Wind your necks in ffs… give the bloke a chance (if it is him that is appointed) and let''s see what he can do eh?It''s a gamble. The same gamble that Mackay, Lennon, Sherwood or any of the other names touted on here would be. A gamble. Because no-one can guarantee success in a game that is open to so many variables that can influence the end result.Take your seat. Plug yourself in and bellow yourself hoarse when you watch the team, be that home or away. That''s the only thing we can do to influence anything.Otherwise, go and support a team like Chelski or Man City. That''s about as near as a guarantee as you''re likely to get.

[/quote]Post more often FFS!!!![:D][/quote] 100% this. ^^^^^

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Maccys Back"]WHY OH WHY does it have to be one of them or even from the UK. Like that''s the only place in the world. Is it because foreign managers always fail lile koeman, jose, V.D.G, pinochio-tinio.

Surely after we scoured every nook and cranny of europe and adam''s was the best candidate then Alex Neil was second, then mcnally needs sacking for wasting the clubs funds flying easyjet all over when he could of just used a train ticket[/quote]Exactly the point I''ve tried to make on other threads.I''ve suggested names like Paulo Bento, Francesco Guidolin and even Frank Rijkaard, all of whom have impressive CV''s, plenty of relevant experience and would definitely bring a new approach to our club, but instead most of our fans were focusing on the usual dross names bandied round whenever a vacancy appears (Sherwood, Warnock, Adkins etc), and now suddenly out of left field comes an almost unheard of manager (this side of the border anyway) who has little more actual managerial experience than Adams (and in a league that''s about as good as League 1 at best most of the time), and we''re just meant to nod politely and draw nonsensical comparisons between him and Lambert and think all will be well...I have nothing against Alex Neil (after all, who the f**k is Alex Neil???), but I do take issue with our board making nonsense comments about scouring Europe for the best managers whilst blatantly overlooking available and frankly far more relevant and experienced options and instead going for the cheap nobody that presents just as much of a gamble as did Adams or Peter Grant for that matter.Whatever happens, I''ll give the new manager my support, but if it all goes t*ts up this time, then the board WILL be facing a Chase level revolt and it''s not likely to be pretty if that happens...[/quote]

Do you honestly believe Norwich City could attract the managers you''ve mentioned? Riijkaard FFS, it''s just never ever going to happen!

Some of the suggestions have been utterly bonkers.

Its actually sad that this is how our club has turned. One massive gamble after the next. If this doesnt work then McNally has to call it a day. Im hoping this works and that this guy is the next Fergie but time will tell. I agree witb what Eadie said on twitter that he worries what the players will make of this.

Credit to the board for having the balls to make an appointment like this.
People have said it''s the cheap, easy option but it''s far from it. Compensation package and wages on top probably equate to any realistic out of work manager we''d have got.
''
The board could easily have gone for a proven-record manager like Warnock. Then if it went tits up - they could blame him... "Well we got the experienced, proven man in...".
Instead they''re taking a gamble. I quite like that. 

I was on earlier talking about having seen quite a lot of Accies this season - and as a neutral.

I DO find that this forum is just like those we get back home. There are the roasters there too.

It then deteriorated into a slagging of Scottish football being about your League One level. I would agree that it probably isn''t even at that level and the key to it all is MONEY. We, even in our top flight, outwith Rangers and Celtic, struggle to compete with wages being paid at Conference level.

I don''t wish to get off on a totally different topic but Inwould say that our record in producing managers is not bad at all. Shankly Ferguson, Stein, and dare I sayLambert?

Just don''t slag the game up here. We areNOT comparing like with like. But I would argue we know our football and we are every bit as committed to it as you are in yours rolling in the Sky shekels.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Maccys Back"]WHY OH WHY does it have to be one of them or even from the UK. Like that''s the only place in the world. Is it because foreign managers always fail lile koeman, jose, V.D.G, pinochio-tinio.

Surely after we scoured every nook and cranny of europe and adam''s was the best candidate then Alex Neil was second, then mcnally needs sacking for wasting the clubs funds flying easyjet all over when he could of just used a train ticket[/quote]Exactly the point I''ve tried to make on other threads.I''ve suggested names like Paulo Bento, Francesco Guidolin and even Frank Rijkaard, all of whom have impressive CV''s, plenty of relevant experience and would definitely bring a new approach to our club, but instead most of our fans were focusing on the usual dross names bandied round whenever a vacancy appears (Sherwood, Warnock, Adkins etc), and now suddenly out of left field comes an almost unheard of manager (this side of the border anyway) who has little more actual managerial experience than Adams (and in a league that''s about as good as League 1 at best most of the time), and we''re just meant to nod politely and draw nonsensical comparisons between him and Lambert and think all will be well...I have nothing against Alex Neil (after all, who the f**k is Alex Neil???), but I do take issue with our board making nonsense comments about scouring Europe for the best managers whilst blatantly overlooking available and frankly far more relevant and experienced options and instead going for the cheap nobody that presents just as much of a gamble as did Adams or Peter Grant for that matter.Whatever happens, I''ll give the new manager my support, but if it all goes t*ts up this time, then the board WILL be facing a Chase level revolt and it''s not likely to be pretty if that happens...[/quote]

Do you honestly believe Norwich City could attract the managers you''ve mentioned? Riijkaard FFS, it''s just never ever going to happen!

Some of the suggestions have been utterly bonkers.[/quote]
You''re right Lincoln, I think the talk about us having a large quantity of deluded fans has some credibility. At least on this forum.

We all know that any managerial appointment is a gamble. But there''s gambles and gambles. If Rosler, Robinson and Warburton are, say, 3-1 shots to be a success then this has to be 10-1 plus. I wanted something a bit different, but I am still stunned at this one. But then I have never heard of him and I still, despite what has gone on with Hughton and Adams, have faith in McNally so I''m here for the ride...........if this is what he thinks is right then get it done. It will be bloomin'' fascinating to see how it goes.

[quote user="Alexneilfan"]I was on earlier talking about having seen quite a lot of Accies this season - and as a neutral.

I DO find that this forum is just like those we get back home. There are the roasters there too.

It then deteriorated into a slagging of Scottish football being about your League One level..

.[/quote]
Don''t worry fella, the slagging off of Scottish Football is just to fit their agenda that the board are making a terrible decision.

Indy your either on a wind up or a different planet... You honestly think any of those suggestions would come here? I doubt it even if we were to jump back 12 months.....

[quote user="hogesar"]Credit to the board for having the balls to make an appointment like this.
People have said it''s the cheap, easy option but it''s far from it. Compensation package and wages on top probably equate to any realistic out of work manager we''d have got.
''
The board could easily have gone for a proven-record manager like Warnock. Then if it went tits up - they could blame him... "Well we got the experienced, proven man in...".
Instead they''re taking a gamble. I quite like that. 
[/quote]

What I don''t like is the boards previous history with "gambles"

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Do you honestly believe Norwich City could attract the managers you''ve mentioned? Riijkaard FFS, it''s just never ever going to happen!

Some of the suggestions have been utterly bonkers.[/quote]I absolutely think any of the three mentioned are possible, with some more likely than others.Are you honestly telling me that you don''t think we''re a better prospect for Rijkaard than simply being a consultant for Montverde Academy?Bento is currently looking for a new role and would surely be interested in a club who could be in the prem next season whilst proving his ability in a more physical and well regarded league than Portugal.Guidolin has already been linked with moves to UK clubs in the past 4-5 years, is currently purely acting as a technical supervisor for the Pozzo family (overseeing Watford, Granada and Udinese) and has also been recently touted for a managerial return with Verona (which to be fair Guidolin denies).Tell me again how a club which has 24k loyal fans attend each week, who have spent the last 3 years in the prem and who have a board that are often supportive of managers well beyond their sell by date is not an attractive proposal to any decent manager?It''s better to aim for the stars and miss, than to aim for a pile of dung and hit...