Sign in to follow this  
zemas tendon

Grabban

If thats a question, then no his goals have not been lucky, he played very well at the start of the season and scored some good and important goals. He''s found it hard linking up with Jerome so Neil has a decision to make as to whether he''s going to keep him in the team

Not a great day at the office for Grabban.

But Jerome has had two fairly average games now and he doesn''t seem to attract as much criticism.

In excess of 20 attempts on goal in our last two games for a return of one goal suggests to me we need more quality than what we have upfront

so we have moved on from

turner

Redmond

Johnson

lets all bash on Grabbin now let me find my stick

It could well be that Grabban or Jerome would be better spearheading an attack on their own.  The joy of watching our performances earlier in the season was watching the running off the ball from every player in front of Johnson and Tettey.   Jerome is a strong player, but doesn''t have the movement of Grabban.    Wes, Lafferty, Grabban and Redmond are pretty much unplayable as a front four in terms of their movement.  Pulling defenders out of position all the time gives more space and time for Johnson and Tettey (or Howson) behind them, making their game easier.   We are obviously still playing well, but the 442 system doesn''t favour Wes or the team imo, leaves gaps for opposition to exploit, particularly on the left and thus makes Johnson and Tettey''s (or Howson''s) game more difficult.    

I think Grabban''s form has dipped considerably since Jerome''s arrival. We''ve since played 4-4-2 to accommodate both of them and they don''t appear to have any kind of understanding as a pairing.

Grabban appears to be better suited to playing up front by himself and the team''s play being channelled through him. There are interesting parallels here between Grabban and Darren Bent during his time at Sunderland. Bent''s goalscoring prowess (hard to believe now) was diluted by the arrival Asamoah Gyan for similar reasons.

If we''re going to persist with 4-4-2 it could be that Gary Hooper (fitness permitting) is more suited to playing with Jerome as the classic big man/poacher combination.

With Jerome''s arrival, Grabban''s role should be that of a lone striker or wide player in my opinion. Otherwise I am not sure how it works,

Yeah Jerome was twice as wasteful yesterday as Grabban

Would be interested to see Grabban out wide, does anybody know if he''s played there for previous clubs?

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Callum Wilson would have been a much better buy.[/quote]Why''s that? They''ve roughly got the same stats so far so don''t see that there''s that much difference.

In Grabban we have a more than decent little player who is always busy and usually threatens the goal on a few occasions each match.

The main question mark about him lies in his apparent inability to score more from the number of chances he is afforded with. He is a bit of a miss-merchant, but this could well change and I, for one, would not bet against him getting to at least around the fifteen mark on the score sheet for the season.

For this reason he represents good value for money, at this level and should be an important cog in our wheel, especially in our travels. He seems to rush more with his efforts in front of a home crowd atm. This should change.

Well, I for one am very happy with 1 goal in every 2 games from one of our main strikers. Grabban has great movement. That doesn''t mean he should not start at times on the bench which might be good to try soon ( for Lafferty or Hooper). But all in all good business by Adams.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]I, for one, would not bet against him getting to at least around the fifteen mark on the score sheet for the season.[/quote]I agree he is a decent player and one that looks intelligent enough to learn from his mistakes and will imo improve.  He is on target to reach the 24 goals he scored last season, so 15 would be a tad disappointing, given the goals he has scored so far this season.

Agree too LDC, but I put "at least." and really expect more.

The fifteen goal tally is the mark of a successful premier League striker, I suppose and oh that the Winkle had achieved that.

It can probably be upped to twenty in the Chumps, but if both Grabban and Jerome, with hopefully Hooper chipping in, surpass the fifteen mark then we will be well set for success this season.

The mystery man VOO reportedly has an eye for goal, whilst JH should notch up a few. Neither Redmond nor Hoolahan get on the scoresheet enough, IMO, and we cannot rely overmuch on our strike-orce especially as we are likely to encounter even more packed defensiveness as the season progresses.

Grabban isn''t actually a natural goalscorer. Had a great season at Bournemouth and started full of confidence.

He''s constantly looking to make runs out wide or off the last shoulder and looks a threat every time he''s gets the ball but he does drift in and out if the game frequently. Personally think a fit hooper will be starting with Jerome to add that clinical presence in the box.

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="lincoln canary"]Callum Wilson would have been a much better buy.[/quote]Why''s that? They''ve roughly got the same stats so far so don''t see that there''s that much difference.[/quote]

Look at his goals though. Much better finisher, and gives defenders a lot more to think about with his overall attributes. Younger too, so also better value.

We''ve got a big squad but perhaps spread ourselves a bit thin by buying lesser quality players such as Grabban. I think we would have been stronger overall if we had a few less faces. Less people to disappoint if they don''t make the team or the bench, and more money to spend on players of a higher calibre.

Zema, did you call CC yesterday?There was some old boy going on about bringing back a natural goal scorer like Flecky, figured this must have been you.

Didn''t have a very good game Saturday. Didn''t seem to be up for it like he normally is. We had a corner in second half and when it was taken he was facing the opposite way complaining to the linesman that his shirt was being pulled. I wonder how much it has to do with us always wanting to play through the middle. Hoolahan would get the ball in a wide position then straightaway turn inside, we played too narrow until Murphy came on way too late. The game was crying out for another winger which would''ve given us more room in the middle.

We already have a left winger on the pitch in Olsen, but we need to play with a left midfielder to cover for him when he goes forwards. Can Gary O''Neill play in that position? I felt that we were crying out for a bit of guile on Saturday to unlock their defence.

[quote user="lake district canary"]A lot being said about Grabban''s misses, but on the highlights it looked as if Jerome was the one missing the target more often.....

Is that a fair reflection?[/quote]

You are correct in one way LDC ,, Jerome did have a few unsuccessful attempts ,, and one or two when maybe he should have done better.

But I think that the relevant point to add is that he got himself into those positions frequently ,, through hard running and positional sense . Both of which were missing from Grabban on Saturday ,, and for a few games now .

I like Grabban. I think he''s a decent player who works hard and can actually count himself a tad unlucky not to add to his tally. Please support the guy. Please support our team.

[quote user="Michael Starr"]I like Grabban. I think he''s a decent player who works hard and can actually count himself a tad unlucky not to add to his tally. Please support the guy. Please support our team.[/quote]

I really don''t think that there is any case to answer from most fans ,, on the please support him ,, support the team .

I don''t know how often that you get to Carrow Road Michael ,, but if you do , you would see that maybe a spell on the bench with a different starting lineup wouldn''t do him or the team any longboard harm .

I believe he will be a valuable player for us this season ,, but remember that he is under a lot of pressure to do well within this team , much more so than last year , with a team with maybe less expectation ,, and a bit of a rest might be exactly what he needs .

[quote user="Barclay seats 4849 the 3rd"] . But I think that the relevant point to add is that he got himself into those positions frequently ,, through hard running and positional sense . Both of which were missing from Grabban on Saturday ,, and for a few games now . [/quote]

I don''t think it''s fair to say Grabban hasn''t put the running in. He''s probably done more than Jerome.

But he didn''t play his best game of football against Rotherham.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Barclay seats 4849 the 3rd"] . But I think that the relevant point to add is that he got himself into those positions frequently ,, through hard running and positional sense . Both of which were missing from Grabban on Saturday ,, and for a few games now . [/quote]

I don''t think it''s fair to say Grabban hasn''t put the running in. He''s probably done more than Jerome.

But he didn''t play his best game of football against Rotherham.

[/quote]

Maybe I am using the term in a figurative way really GJP ,, but from where I sit in the Barclay ,, I get a fairly good lol for Half the game ,, and he wasn''t positioningbhimself very well and didn''t look particularly active off the ball .

I appreciate it if you see the game from a different position ,, and hence a different perspective gives you another opinion