Sign in to follow this  
Herman

England-Uruguay

What a shame. Stevie Gerrard seems to have forgotten that Suarez is not on his team tonight, having nicely set up both goals for his Liverpool buddy.

Both of Suarez''s goals came from mistakes by individual players. Jagielkas failure to track Suarex (caught ball-watching) and Gerrard''s flick-on.
Hodgson will get some rightful criticism from this game, he is by no means blameless, but I don''t think we can say it is all his fault. 

Why do we expect it to be different. We have not been good enough for the last 40 years.

What a season Gerrard has had - stumbles to lose Liverpool the League, then his flick on knocks England out of the World Cup.

That''s the sort of Talisman we need!

[quote user="FCC"]What a season Gerrard has had - stumbles to lose Liverpool the League, then his flick on knocks England out of the World Cup.

That''s the sort of Talisman we need![/quote]
He''s going to retire after this World Cup, I''m fairly sure. 

Very ordinary again and oh so predictable - our defence is not good enough and our play not good/quick enough, indeed rather similar to our recent season: we look incapable of keeping a clean sheet and equally incapable of creating enough to (therefore) score the 2+ needed to win a game. Terry should be there and Hodgson should hang his head in shame for the utterly hypocritical way he has treated him, when compared to how he has treated his favourite in Foster.

Suarez the only difference. Ballotelli last time. We don''t have these players. We just have the support players for the likes of those two, aguerro, van persie etc. until we have such a player this is as good as we are.

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]Oh well, there''s always next time.  [/quote]Yes, but by now everyone should know what to expect but it seems we never give up on our wishful thinking.

I think Hodgson will be in charge until either we fail to qualify for Euro 16 or after we get knocked out. The plan had always been to promote either Southgate or Neville into the manager''s role after giving them suitable time to develop as coaches in the England set-up, I can''t see the FA abandoning it now.

Gerrard looked like a rabbit in headlights tonight. Great player but has had a poor world cup.

We set up to play on the break from the start. No guile. Usual poor passing just relying on power play.

I didn''t expect much this tournament but we at least had a go with our limited ability at world level. Hodgson has the nucleus of a young side to take forward and I see no better alternative.

The Premier League has a lot to answer for and as much as I dislike him Suarez for me is the best striker in the world.

To many of our best players fail to deliver in an England shirt on enough occasions. Gerrard is a great player but you could count his performances at the same level as for his club on one hand.

I think that Hodgson allowed himself to be cajoled by the media. They said to attack Italy and he attacked Italy, they said start Rooney central and he started Rooney central. He''s tried so hard to appease people that he''s removed himself from the strengths that got him hired. A Roy Hodgson England team should be defensively solid and strong on the counter. This England side has been neither. If one good thing could come out of this early exit, it might be that Hodgson will revert to what makes him such an effective coach in the first place.

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]I think Hodgson will be in charge until either we fail to qualify for Euro 16 or after we get knocked out. The plan had always been to promote either Southgate or Neville into the manager''s role after giving them suitable time to develop as coaches in the England set-up, I can''t see the FA abandoning it now.[/quote]

It better not be Southgate. Surely there has to be better coaches.

I''m amazed people are surprised.

I got shot down at the time but these were two of my earlier posts on our chances (before we''d played):

Sorry to be a wet blanket but I''m surprised so many people expect England to get out of its group - I''m not convinced that we have the nous to outperform Italy and Uruguay, when have we displayed that recently?

In the last World Cup & Euros England has:

beaten - Sweden, Ukraine & Slovenia

drawn with - France, USA & Algeria

lost to - Italy & Germany.

I think Uruguay is probably between France/USA (the draws, ignoring a poor result against Algeria) and Italy/Germany (when we lost).

Playing in South America should give Uruguay an advantage, hence my pessimism.

I hope I''m wrong.

[quote user="Herman "]

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]I think Hodgson will be in charge until either we fail to qualify for Euro 16 or after we get knocked out. The plan had always been to promote either Southgate or Neville into the manager''s role after giving them suitable time to develop as coaches in the England set-up, I can''t see the FA abandoning it now.[/quote]

It better not be Southgate. Surely there has to be better coaches.

[/quote]
Southgate''s actually looked really good for the U-21''s. They''ve been playing some fantastic football and have been (relatively) successful, considering the fact that the best U-21''s have all been promoted to the senior team (which destroyed any chance of us winning the Toulon tournament). He''s not ready now, but with the U-21''s Euro''s next year, who knows? If England do well in it, we might be crying out for him to coach the national side.

Phillip J Fry wrote the following post at 19/06/2014 10:09 PM:

Southgate''s actually looked really good for the U-21''s. They''ve been playing some fantastic football and have been (relatively) successful, considering the fact that the best U-21''s have all been promoted to the senior team (which destroyed any chance of us winning the Toulon tournament). He''s not ready now, but with the U-21''s Euro''s next year, who knows? If England do well in it, we might be crying out for him to coach the national side.

-------------------------------------------------------

I don''t mean to be nasty, but wtf

No finesse.......no composure.......but always predictable......same old, same old.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Suarez the only difference. Ballotelli last time. We don''t have these players. We just have the support players for the likes of those two, aguerro, van persie etc. until we have such a player this is as good as we are.[/quote]Gazza was our last world class player in this mold , beckham wasn''t despite all the hype

Don''t buy this "one world class player" argument. many teams have achieved by being greater than the sum of their parts - Chile last night being one example. Our problem is we lack individual brilliance AND collective solidity.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Phillip J Fry wrote the following post at 19/06/2014 10:09 PM:

-------------------------------------------------------

I don''t mean to be nasty, but wtf[/quote]
You obviously haven''t watched much U-21''s football...
Top of the qualifiers, 27 goals for, 2 against. 7 wins and a draw. Admittedly, it''s a very weak group. But his side have been professional and not suffered embarrassing defeats to opposition they should be getting something from. 4th in tho Toulon tournament, qualifying (narrowly) from a tough group. All this despite the fact that the best U-21 players (Sterling, Shaw, Barkley etc.) are not available to him as they''ve been called up to the Senior team.
I''ve already said he''s not ready and he certainally wouldn''t be my first choice but to disregard him out of hand as some are is ridiculous. 

[quote user="Bor Bor Boycott"]Don''t buy this "one world class player" argument. many teams have achieved by being greater than the sum of their parts - Chile last night being one example. Our problem is we lack individual brilliance AND collective solidity.[/quote]
That''s because Hodsgon abandoned every principle he had and bowed down to the media''s demand to be ''attacking'' and ''positive''. He should''ve stuck to what he knew best. Defensive solidarity, a good defensive shape and effective counter attacking from the wings. 

[quote user="woostercanary"]I''m amazed people are surprised. I got shot down at the time but these were two of my earlier posts on our chances (before we''d played): Sorry to be a wet blanket but I''m surprised so many people expect England to get out of its group - I''m not convinced that we have the nous to outperform Italy and Uruguay, when have we displayed that recently? In the last World Cup & Euros England has: beaten - Sweden, Ukraine & Slovenia drawn with - France, USA & Algeria lost to - Italy & Germany. I think Uruguay is probably between France/USA (the draws, ignoring a poor result against Algeria) and Italy/Germany (when we lost). Playing in South America should give Uruguay an advantage, hence my pessimism. I hope I''m wrong.[/quote]

I don''t think many of us did realistically, just that small bit of hope that we could.

How could that side possibly go for defensive solidity? We don''t have the personnel, particularly when the best English defender, like him or hate him, is not even in the squad. For all this ''we''re going for a attacking formation'' we were pretty short on the required skill/pace/ability to create and convert enough chances.