Sign in to follow this  
RvWs 4 year contract

Favourite non Norwich player?

It''s a difficult question, as a kid all my favourite players were in the yellow and green, I suppose Maradona in 86 was the first time I recognised talent on a world level, I was only 7 so the hand of God was easily overshadowed by the solo goals he scored, in fact I seem to remember that I was more upset when Brazil went out on pens to the French..

As I got older I was a huge fan of Lineker but I became more interested on what some people might call the "fancy-dan" side of the game. I thought Baggio was brilliant, loved it when Juninho played for Middlesbrough and always had a grudging admiration for Cantona.

Looking back over it all, I''d say my favourite international player would either be fat Ronaldo or Ronaldinho, both virtually unplayable at their peak and Ronaldinho''s ingenuity, nonchalance and skill are still unrivalled in my eyes.

Favourite non-City player right now? Favourite in the way that he''s the player I''d love to see in our side is Yaya Toure. That Coutinho lad at Liverpool is going to be some player though..

Brazilian Ronaldo is the best player I''ve ever seen (on the telly). 
You always here people go on about the low centre of gravity of Messi and Maradona, but Ronaldo could do it all at 6ft and later on with a big beer gut too. 
I don''t think I will ever see a player as naturally blessed with talent again, and he goes above Zidane as the best of his generation in the world, and nobody from this generation comes close to either him or Zidane.
But as for favourite current non-Norwich players then well I''d probably have to go for David Fox (Barnsley player), or Grant Holt. 

Favourite all time Premier League player (not including Norwich players) has to be Thierry Henry. 
I can also remember seeing Fernando Torres play in his first season for Liverpool and thinking that the Premier League may have just signed its best ever striker - and I still find it hard to come to terms with how much of a shadow of his former self he looks. He was genuine world class and untouchable, don''t understand where it went wrong. 

Its always quite amusing how people see the game differently. No use getting upset by it of course.

But Le Juge, I wouldn''t even have called Ronaldo the best Madrid striker of his generation. I honestly think Raul was better. I''m almost certainly in the minority on that opinion though. But depending on what you class his generation as, I think Zidane is definitely better for a start, players like Cantona, Bergkcamp, Henry, Maldini, Ronaldinho, Figo maybe, Maldini, Hierro, Cafu & Roberto Carlos can''t be described as not coming close.

I probably didn''t appreciate Ronaldo as much as I should have, I much preferred Raul (and unlike now, where I can really appreciate Cristiano despite me liking Messi a lot more, I was young and foolish and discarded Ronaldo) I even preferred Morientes ;)

Also got some more names to add to my list:

Fillippo Inzaghi

Freddy Ljungberd

Ian Harte (before he got Holty sent off)

Roberto Carlos

Deco.

Ex Norwich: Holt, still a legend in my eyes.

Fave on fifa: Eto''o

Fave ever prem: Henry

Fave abroad: Messi

Current Prem: Ozil

England (other than Ruddy): Gerrard

Fav players from past.... Hagi, Batistuta and the chubby Ronaldo.

Fav players currently....

Hazard, robben, Eriksen, yaya Toure, Sturridge, Coutinho, Lukaku. Quite a few lol.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Its always quite amusing how people see the game differently. No use getting upset by it of course.

But Le Juge, I wouldn''t even have called Ronaldo the best Madrid striker of his generation.[/quote]Brazilian Ronaldo is a close second fav for me. It was his time at Inter rather than Madrid that stood out for me. The man had everything, pace, strength, skill + brilliant finisher. His record at World Cup finals is ridiculous too.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Its always quite amusing how people see the game differently. No use getting upset by it of course.

But Le Juge, I wouldn''t even have called Ronaldo the best Madrid striker of his generation. I honestly think Raul was better. I''m almost certainly in the minority on that opinion though. But depending on what you class his generation as, I think Zidane is definitely better for a start, players like Cantona, Bergkcamp, Henry, Maldini, Ronaldinho, Figo maybe, Maldini, Hierro, Cafu & Roberto Carlos can''t be described as not coming close.

I probably didn''t appreciate Ronaldo as much as I should have, I much preferred Raul (and unlike now, where I can really appreciate Cristiano despite me liking Messi a lot more, I was young and foolish and discarded Ronaldo) I even preferred Morientes ;)

Also got some more names to add to my list:

Fillippo Inzaghi

Freddy Ljungberd

Ian Harte (before he got Holty sent off)

Roberto Carlos

Deco.[/quote]
Well this kind of thing is definitely subjective. I always see articles like "top 50 players ever", or "10 best players of the decade" etc, and you will always get a lot of arguments in the comments - usually with somebody saying "how the hell have you left out...." etc. 
Ronaldo had played for almost a decade before he joined Real Madrid, and it was at Madrid that he started having his weight problems. He was world class at Real Madrid, but he was the best player in the world at Barcelona and Inter Milan. 
Like the poster above said.... It was really at Barcelona, Inter Milan and for Brazil where he shined. I have just never seen a player with so much pace and power, and the way that the ball would just stick to his feet like it was tied to a piece of 6 inch rope. Completely untouchable before his health problems. 
To me he was the most naturally blessed footballer of his generation. Above Zidane. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ayMH2k5yWk

Andrea Pirlo - for being the best Defensive midfielder of a generation.. they call it the "makelele Role" but Pirlo had made it his own years before...

Dennis Bergkamp - what else can you say, technique, ability to read the game, could make anything from nothing.. Arsenal have won nothing since he left.

Filipo Inzaghi - a striker who would just shoot, no fany tricks, no frills, get whatever you can on the ball and score. theres a you tube video of every single one of his goals for AC milan... that''s a proper Poacher!

I''ve always admired players who have had to ''scrap'' their way to the top of the game and make the most of their talents, rather than those born freakishly gifted. For those reasons my current favourites are:Phil JagielkaKevin PhillipsRicky Lambert

Michael theokolitis an inspirational goalkeeper for any young generation to watch!

Seriously tho = Gareth bale, signed him on fifa 07 when he just came through at the saints and my fifa skills where apt on for signing him ;)

Leighton Baines. A modest guy who isn''t flash and is the antithesis of the modern day w*nker footballer.

He''s also possibly the best full back I''ve ever seen play at Carrow Road.  A great crosser, great passer, great defender and hits a mean dead ball. Total pro.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Andrea Pirlo - for being the best Defensive midfielder of a generation.. they call it the "makelele Role" but Pirlo had made it his own years before...

Dennis Bergkamp - what else can you say, technique, ability to read the game, could make anything from nothing.. Arsenal have won nothing since he left.

Filipo Inzaghi - a striker who would just shoot, no fany tricks, no frills, get whatever you can on the ball and score. theres a you tube video of every single one of his goals for AC milan... that''s a proper Poacher![/quote]

Now it''s the Alex Tettey role...[:P]

[quote user="Jonzey"]

Leighton Baines. A modest guy who isn''t flash and is the antithesis of the modern day w*nker footballer.

He''s also possibly the best full back I''ve ever seen play at Carrow Road.  A great crosser, great passer, great defender and hits a mean dead ball. Total pro.

[/quote]
Good call, I''m a fan of Baines too.
Didn''t throw his toys out of the pram after being denied a Man Utd move, just getting on with it. 

Thought about this for some time, and I have to say that of the players I ever saw live and in the flesh, Johan Cruyff was my fave. He had everything...poise, balance, drive. And was a clinical finisher with more than a hint of steel about him.

To keep the Dutch theme going, Marco v Basten was best of his generation.

Like many others, it seems, I''ve got a lot of time for Leighton Baines, if it''s current Prem players we''re talking about.

My current favourite is Wayne Rooney. Supremely talented, determined and passionate.

All time (well, from about 1990 onwards) would be Zola, Gazza, Bergkamp or Niall Quinn (An odd one perhaps, but I stick by it!).

quote user="jas the barclay king"

Filipo Inzaghi -

fany tricks... get whatever you can ...and score. theres a you tube video of every single one... /quote

GETS MY VOTE!