Sign in to follow this  
CanaryNath

Why is the snakepit so called?

Let me tell ye olde tale of the Snakepit. Twas a cold night in the winter of 1755. A travelling circus did happen on the sleepy hamlet of Carrow close to the castle of Norwich.

But not all was well. The hamlet was besieged by a terrible plague. Festering binners from the southern region of Suffolk had passed through spreading dirt decay and untold misery to the people of Carrow. The circus performers did see this and were saddened. The circus men witnessed the wretched scene and knew in their hearts that goode must be done.

Thus it came to pass that the twenty three men of the circus dressed in the finest yellow and green did perform a spectacle so great that joy and warmth was felt by the people of Carrow. The plague did lift and sunlight did grace the hamlet once more. The people of Carrow rejoiced and were happy. Their task completed the circus packed up and ''twas to leave the hamlet the following day.

The hamlet wise woman did see the circus prepare to leave and was filled with dread. With the circus gone believe it she did that the plague would return along with misery and darkness. The wise woman Delia did knowe that the circus possessed magic and should they leave Carrow would be doomed. The wise woman did plan to keep the magic and plotted something terrible.

That night the wise woman did set upon the circus men a poisonous serpent The snake did bite and squeeze and kill until all the circusmen be dead. A pit was dug in the centre of Carrow and the dead buried deep. The wise women knowing about magic did also entomb the snake to keep watch over the dead.

That place in the hamlet of Carrow did become known as a magic and special place. Never again did the plague return and the hamlet was forever happy. The townsfolk did pass on the story over time and the legend of the snake pit was born.

[quote user="spencer 1970"]I think by EDL they are meaning the English Disco Lovers. Discoooo Daaaale. and all that.

http://www.edl.me/[/quote]That bloke loves a step over - not so much in love with snakes...

I thought it came from after a uefa cup match. We''d just beaten vitesse and the club put tickets up for sale and sold them before the away fans had returned from Arnham.

This obviiously angered them & to appease them they had to hastily finish/ make the infill hospitable to accommodate the fans. It being part built at the time.

At the match there were anti chase protests and he described it as "like a nest of vipers".

A corner section of the way too small City stand next to the Barclay stand where in the late 1990''s early 00''s lots of the more aggressive and vociferous fans who previously stood in the Barclay moved to!

This is why this area of the ground is called the Snakepit!

The Snakepit corner, or Thorpe Corner as its officially known, was first opened for the Bayern Munich home game.

Believe it or not, but in those successful early PL days, Carrow Road rarely sold out (just against the top 4 or 5 teams as a rule). As that corner was a new area and opened mid-season, nobody had a permanent season ticket there for that 1993/4 season.

Then 1994/5 saw relegation to the Endsleigh League and the poisonous Chase Out atmosphere. from then onwards, attracting crowds was always a big struggle, with this corner rarely used - most seats remained empty during this spell. Even the lower Barclay was often sparse on the wings during this time (seats were actually first come first served in the lower Barclay and River back then).

To try and fill empty seats, which I think was a big initiative of Delia when she came in back in 1997, was to sell to school kids for ÂŁ1. In addition, unemployed were able to claim a ticket on presentation of a UB40. It was the Snakepit corner that was identified for those unemployed to sit for free/little. Hence how some unemployed could be deemed to be a little raucous, should we say. No doubt those unemployed back then have remained in those seats ever since, eventually turning that free ticket into a season ticket.

It was then this raucous atmosphere from the corner that was nicknamed the Snakepit. I seem to recall them ''hissing'' in the early days which led to their name being donned.

Its fascinating reading the history, but I think everyone is romanticising re the naming.

It purely looks like a snakes head, nothing to do with atmosphere or any such nonsense at all.

Because a flake in an ice cream looks like an armadillo spooning a nerd, which was the original advertising campaign in the early 60s when flakes were first launched. Hence 99.

Brightside, i was going to come up with a tall tale myself, but you beat me to it and that is better than any attempt i could come up with, loved it!

[quote user="lake district canary"]Seriously Nasty Animals  Keep Enclosed  Poor Infantile Tossers

No offence [:D]

[/quote]

And you wonder why people give you grief when you post things like that. Very brave of you to call us tossers from behind your keyboard.