Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Ipswich 'friendly'?

[quote user="keefyboy"]

Sometimes Norwich fans drive me total distraction.  An Ipswich friendly gives me a rare excitement, normally they are incredibly boring things.  Why shouldn''t it go ahead.  Both sets of players are mates with each other and are no more likely to injure each other.  They are professionals and neither team has a Roy Keane type player.  Remember that Ipswich''s season starts on the 3rd August, so both teams will go a touch easy. 

I don''t think trouble is much of an issue - if it goes ahead the police will demand an 11 am ko with beer in little supply and in fairness it is the job of the police, so get on with it, after all they have the added bonus of Sunday over time.  I feel some of our fans can be so bloody righteous, if you don''t like it or want don''t it - don''t go.  If you think it might brighten up a turgid close season, then like me, see your mates - have a beer and enjoy the game, otherwise stay at home and play with your clappers!!

[/quote] "if it goes ahead the police will demand an 11 am ko with beer in little supply"followed by "see your mates - have a beer and enjoy the game"

I have to agree with your sentiment here. It seems that people are paranoid about leg breakers etc however as you suggest they are all professionals and very few on the pitch will have been involved with our last meetings. Is it not more probable that a non league player would pose more harm?

I feel that too many of you are paranoid about the potential loss of bragging rights. Well that is an awfully pessimistic stance! How about we look forward to finding our shooting boots for the coming season instead, after all it is only 1p5wich!!

[quote user="im spartacus"]i feel an inner circle reprimand coming on...[/quote]

No need for the name calling i''m smartarse. [;)]

This whole moaning-every-time-someone-starts-a-new-thread-which-was-once-mentioned-briefly-11-years-ago is pretty pathetic IMO

Can you not just, I dunno, mow the lawn or something?

Maybe cool off a little

oh dearthe daily mail is certainly out in force tonightmake a reasoned comment and out they comea post at the top of the list becomes ''11 years ago''next we''ll be told that making comments on here can cause cancer or result in house prices falling

Apologies to any who might be too happy that I started a new thread.

I thought that a better debating point would of been made if I had made a thread about my opinion, which can people can discuss, than on a 7 page long thread.

Maybe I should of posted on the other thread, but it''s all done now so lets get it over with.

P.S- Sorry lapps, wasn''t in a great mood when you replied. No offence intended.

[quote user="im spartacus"]oh dear... new thread and a low post count , i feel an inner circle reprimand coming on, wouldn''t want to be in your shoes mate  [:D][/quote]

Come on then i''m smartarse yet another Inner Circle yawnfest started by your good self so name and shame.

Its so worthwhile. I would be more inclined for it to go ahead if we had a few 1st teamers playing. Though that looks unlikely due to the US tour so don''t really see the point. Could give the u18''s a run out. Shouldn''t be to difficult for them.

Well having looked at some of the replies he got if they do what the fans want it will not happen.

Even seen some Ipswich fans say no thanks!

Derbyshire should mean something, this would not, apart form maybe some bragging rights.

The only problem is that I am not really in favour but probably would go!

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

[quote user="im spartacus"]oh dear... new thread and a low post count , i feel an inner circle reprimand coming on, wouldn''t want to be in your shoes mate  [:D][/quote]

Come on then i''m smartarse yet another Inner Circle yawnfest started by your good self so name and shame.

[/quote]

No way ! I don''t want to look out of my front room window and see a cross burning on my lawn watched by mysterious  hooded figures on horseback carrying lit torches. The inner circle can never be officially identified but everyone knows who they are . OTBC

No from me

We need to save these games , for when something meaningful rides on it, a bit of ''bite'' to them

If you want to retain the hype, aura and meaning of these derbies, then friendlies is not the answer

Lets show them how civilised supporters behave by setting a good example..Love thy neighbour as thy self

[quote user="lappinitup"]We have everything to lose and nothing to gain. If we win the game, EVERYBODY will say it was only to be expected. But if we lose, they will regain the bragging rights but more importantly, they will go into their first league game the following week full of confidence. We can''t have that now can we?[/quote]

Wow thats a positive outlook

We could win you know!!!

NO,NO and NO firstly how can any game against the scum be friendly? and secondly I wont be here I will be on hols in Malaysia [:D]

My only concern is the timing - how can we play a ''proper'' game against anyone just two days after travelling back from two weeks in the (western) States? There isn''t really any point, whoever it might be against - any game that week should be midweek.

Otherwise I''m not too bothered who we play in our pre-season - but can certainly see no particular reason why it should or shouldn''t be the binmen; we''ve done it before and at the time many suggested it should be made an annual Charity fixture. Who honestly really gives a stuff what the result is in any friendly? Ok, there''s a chance we might lose (if only due to the timing), but it matters stuff-all when the season starts - we''ll still be playing Man U, Arsenal et al, with them playing Doncaster and Yeovil.

One thing for sure is we''ll find it difficult to find English sides to play when we return as the League season starts on Aug 3, the following week.

An alternative view would that to have a friendly against Ipswich would be a way of lessening the tension between the two clubs'' sets of fans.   To play in a meaningless friendly will take the edge out of the game and any posturing or nonsense from either sets of fans would be made to look sad and pointless.   Sure there will be some idiots who try to stir it on both sides, but every club has its mindless element who like to create trouble at the slightest thing. 

After all, its only a football match against a lower league team - why should we worry?     If anything, its they who should be against the idea of a friendly against us - win and they have bragging rights for about five seconds until they realise we''ll be playing in the top league next season and they will be struggling in the championship. Lose and they have been beaten by us - again........  

No problem.

[quote user="lake district canary"]An alternative view would that to have a friendly against Ipswich would be a way of lessening the tension between the two clubs'' sets of fans.  

[/quote]

And how is life on planet Mars today LDC ?

[quote user="lake district canary"]An alternative view would that to have a friendly against Ipswich would be a way of lessening the tension between the two clubs'' sets of fans.   To play in a meaningless friendly will take the edge out of the game and any posturing or nonsense from either sets of fans would be made to look sad and pointless.   Sure there will be some idiots who try to stir it on both sides, but every club has its mindless element who like to create trouble at the slightest thing. 

After all, its only a football match against a lower league team - why should we worry?     If anything, its they who should be against the idea of a friendly against us - win and they have bragging rights for about five seconds until they realise we''ll be playing in the top league next season and they will be struggling in the championship. Lose and they have been beaten by us - again........  

No problem.

[/quote]

Do you really think that would bother them LDC?

And why risk our players against them?

Its a non starter imo.

Why do people assume that just because certain fans want to get at each others throats the players will want to do the same? 

Will either side really want to get stuck in and risk injuries? Will McCarthy seriously instruct one of his defenders to break RvW''s leg - and incur a 3-match ban for the start of the season (and yes, for a violent offence in a friendly the ban would very likely be imposed)?  No, of course not.  In fact I can''t remember when there was last a red card for a violent offence even in a competitive game between us.

Reality is that the boys in blue will be closer to full fitness than we will, so they should give us a good game. 

There is a poll on the front page of this site, so far, the NO''s are way ahead.[Y]