Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Ipswich 'friendly'?

[quote user="CanaryNewbee"]What do you lot think of this, would you want us to play the scum?[/quote]

I honestly do not believe They know what the word Friendly means, It will be yet another excuse to have a go at the kids in the street and smash the Bins up, Don''t think the match will happen

I think it is more a case of McNally trying to guage what interest there is in that sort of game, before going ahead.. I doubt the club would want to lose money on such a non event.Perhaps somebody could ask McNally if the intention would be to put out a full strength team, otherwise it would be better to aim it at the ''happy clappies'' and have plenty of music to let them know what is happening, parade the U 18''s with their cup and have lots of kids walking about the pitch carrying big flags (before the game !). Make it a fun family day sort of thing rather than it being part of our pre season preperation.

At the very least McNally should confirm that the players will be ignoring Hughton''s direction, imagine setting up for a 0-0 against that lot..

Counted the tweets replying to McNally canvassing opinion (bored in the library).

74% of Norwich fans who have responded so far with a clear view either way (258 in total) are against the idea.

1. It would take away from the spirit of the rivalry, I mean a pre-season friendly is nothing compared to a cup or league match.

2. What if the binners break RVW''s leg? Or Holt''s as an act of revenge? It''s not as implausible as you might think, they''re going to be pretty sour over our triumph over them

3. And if we field a reserve/academy team, they will beat us as and notch another win against us, something I certainly don''t want.

4. Do we really want them running around our city centre?

5. Do the police/emergency services really want them running around our city centre?

6. Why have a friendly against a bottom championship team, we can do better than that.

7. Why let them have the honour of playing us?

8. We still own the bragging rights of 5-1 an 4-1. Will we want to lose it over a cheap friendly?

Agreed, dish the idea. Although I do have to confess that it would be nice to give them another good thumping, just for old times sake.

They seem to think that next season will be their eventual promotion season, although are wetting themselves about losing McCarthy because the purse strings are so tight. A bit contradictory really so dealing them a portion of reality would be nice.

Theres only one reason for me, totally takes the shine off the ''proper'' matches between us.

Abit like playing semi-finals at Wembley

The club wants it and I guess it will happen, but the reason is greed...guaranteed big gate with little else to commend it.

The police will be stretched to put the controls in...not helped by the club who will be unwilling to control the ticket sales.

If it takes 10 years for this fixture to come up again in the course of legitimate competitions so be it!!! Don''t diminish it for the sake of a quick buck

Make it a City legends v Ipswich has beens and it might be a novelty match of some interest but please save the real fixture for a legitimate fixture, even if it isn''t played again for 10 years

"I''ve got a few thoughts on this. I think I''ll go and start yet another thread about it....... "

I thought that starting a thread about purely why it''s not a good idea to host the friendly wasn''t too wild, but obviously i''ve failed you lapps.

You haven''t been helping your reputation here recently, busting into threads and derailing them at every turn. I''ve kind of lost my respect for you to be honest.

steps needed to make the friendly work

1) limit all of the ipswich allocation, to one block of the lower barcley, maybe the one right next to the snake pit

2)place the ipswich team in the holiday inn the night before.

3) arrange for a boy racer meet outside the holiday inn with stereos and rev''ing engines all night

4) get guest referees / linos for the match, i suggest Leon Mckenzie, Hucks and craig bellamy

anyone think of any more?

there was at least one other thread about this BW, very near the top of the forumI suspect Lap was wondering why the need to start a new

steps needed to make the friendly work

1) limit all of the ipswich allocation, to one block of the lower barcley, maybe the one right next to the snake pit

2)place the ipswich team in the holiday inn the night before.

3) arrange for a boy racer meet outside the holiday inn with stereos and rev''ing engines all night

4) get guest referees / linos for the match, i suggest Leon Mckenzie, Hucks and craig bellamy

anyone think of any more?

find enough City fans interested in it might be a startpolls and opinion on here suggest not many are

Celtic, Ajax ......... yesa ragbag of lower league cast offs .... no thanks

with the same amount of thought that went into your conception as well

"Stop making new threads!"
No no, you stop bumping them if you have a problem with them. Simple as that.
________________________________________________________________________________________
Nothing more needs to be said than what BW''s Cat already has. It''s a stupid idea, if we meet them in the cup then great but if not then no love lost. We have EVERYTHING to risk if we play this game, everything to lose - it''s just stupid stupid stupid.

[quote user="City1st"]there was at least one other thread about this BW, very near the top of the forum

I suspect Lap was wondering why the need to start a new[/quote]

Thanks City1st. Quite simply, several threads on the same subject whilst interesting in themselves, push other interesting threads quickly down the page and into oblivion. Everyone who posts on here deserves to have their posts read and not swept away by multiple threads.  

We have everything to lose and nothing to gain. If we win the game, EVERYBODY will say it was only to be expected. But if we lose, they will regain the bragging rights but more importantly, they will go into their first league game the following week full of confidence. We can''t have that now can we?

Sometimes Norwich fans drive me total distraction.  An Ipswich friendly gives me a rare excitement, normally they are incredibly boring things.  Why shouldn''t it go ahead.  Both sets of players are mates with each other and are no more likely to injure each other.  They are professionals and neither team has a Roy Keane type player.  Remember that Ipswich''s season starts on the 3rd August, so both teams will go a touch easy. 

I don''t think trouble is much of an issue - if it goes ahead the police will demand an 11 am ko with beer in little supply and in fairness it is the job of the police, so get on with it, after all they have the added bonus of Sunday over time.  I feel some of our fans can be so bloody righteous, if you don''t like it or want don''t it - don''t go.  If you think it might brighten up a turgid close season, then like me, see your mates - have a beer and enjoy the game, otherwise stay at home and play with your clappers!!

[quote user="lappinitup"]We have everything to lose and nothing to gain. If we win the game, EVERYBODY will say it was only to be expected. But if we lose, they will regain the bragging rights but more importantly, they will go into their first league game the following week full of confidence. We can''t have that now can we?[/quote]Yep, sensible points.I agree, I can''t think of any reason why we would need this game.Ricardo votes NO!

Well that was worth a new thread. Not.

With them being far further along with their pre season preperations and us being jet lagged there''s every chance they''ll cause an upset.

Really don''t see the point in this, as others have said, nothing to gain and everything to lose.