Sign in to follow this  
crabbycanary

How many on here actually run their own business?

I am particularly interested to find out how many people on here, who have been moaning about McNally etc, actually run their own business, and have an understanding on how the dynamics of a successful business are run?

Serious question, take the rip if you want, but I am also interested to see if the moaners can back their case with something substansive, that NCFC could take on board and move onwards and upwards.

I do and I''m quite happy with the way the club is going.We simply can''t chuck away millions on one player anyone who thinks we should go and support QPR and we all know where that''s going to end .

Two points on this one; firstly, a football club to the majority of people involved in football is more than a business even now. Whilst many (most?) boards in the country would run the club primarily as a business nowadays, all but the very most ruthless would also acknowledge that football has a different role in society than an ordinary business and therefore have different approaches to certain aspects, even if the final business outcome is ultimately the same.

Secondly, the question as a whole is rather redundant on a fans'' messageboard. It''s exactly the same as asking "how many of you have played professional football?" "How many of you have managed a professional football club?" And then when the answer comes back as none, telling everyone to stop posting their opinions because they don''t have first hand experience of professional football.

PS (no edit button) I am more than happy with how McNally is running the club and am actually quite happy that we didn''t pay over the odds for Hooper, whom I believe to be massively overrated. However, I don''t believe knowledge of running one''s own business is necessary to have an opinion on the board''s running of NCFC.

I have done for 45 years and welcome your post CC the same thought had occurred to me. Not necessarily running their own business but having the faintest idea of economics or that money doesn''t grow on trees.

[quote user="Aggy"]Two points on this one; firstly, a football club to the majority of people involved in football is more than a business even now. Whilst many (most?) boards in the country would run the club primarily as a business nowadays, all but the very most ruthless would also acknowledge that football has a different role in society than an ordinary business and therefore have different approaches to certain aspects, even if the final business outcome is ultimately the same. Secondly, the question as a whole is rather redundant on a fans'' messageboard. It''s exactly the same as asking "how many of you have played professional football?" "How many of you have managed a professional football club?" And then when the answer comes back as none, telling everyone to stop posting their opinions because they don''t have first hand experience of professional football.[/quote]

Not at all. The OP is wondering if there is a connection between those wanting to spend money the club don''t have, and those that would struggle to run a bath, let alone keep a business running through a deep recession.

[quote user="Aggy"]Two points on this one; firstly, a football club to the majority of people involved in football is more than a business even now. Whilst many (most?) boards in the country would run the club primarily as a business nowadays, all but the very most ruthless would also acknowledge that football has a different role in society than an ordinary business and therefore have different approaches to certain aspects, even if the final business outcome is ultimately the same.

Secondly, the question as a whole is rather redundant on a fans'' messageboard. It''s exactly the same as asking "how many of you have played professional football?" "How many of you have managed a professional football club?" And then when the answer comes back as none, telling everyone to stop posting their opinions because they don''t have first hand experience of professional football.[/quote]

Hang on Aggy - please don''t pre-empt what you thought I was going to say. That''s how things get out of hand. Where did I say that? Why is it a redundant question for goodness sake?

People on here so far, have gone to great lengths to chastise how the dealings have (or not) taken place over the last month. They are using their ''emotional'' football connection, to put their opinion over. There is most certainly a ''business'' connection that just cannot be ignored. Without the business connection being run properly, then the ''emotional'' side of it would not exist (just like the Club). Everyone is an ''expert'' and entitled to an opinion, I am genuinely interested to find out if anyone (who runs a business or not) has a contribution to the greater good.

I run my own business (although its just me).

I''m suspect, however, there are very few of us who own businesses where some third party gives us £45m a year for providing no direct service and where that same third party has promised to up that money to £70m next year just for maintaining the same level of service.

If they had i suspect most of us would be doing absolutely everything in our power to ensure we maintain that same level of service, including poaching staff where necessary!

Good topic for a thread.

I''ve run my own translation business for many years, but you do not need to run your own business to know what a budget is, because every household has one.

Without wishing to sound superior, a significant element of the population is financially ignorant, hence the repeated misselling scandals and large numbers of people in debt. "Budget" is a non-concept for many.

The linguist in me is interested in how so many euphemisms have emerged in this area. Nasty "debt" has become cuddly "credit", and "spending" has become "investment" (a particular favourite of Gordon Brown). "Pushing the boat out" sounds superficially harmeless, but seems to translate broadly as spending beyond our means.

I have done, and like all of the posters above know how crucial it is to keep control of costs.

I am sure that we have all had people trying to sell us stuff that spending x,y,z on their product will earn us a fortune!

I have run my own business for 15 years - I have no issue with DM, Delia et al. Like most shareholder''s, chairmen, CEO''s etc you work with what you have, and are always trying to balance the books. With the exception of Chelsea, Man City etc where a football club is viewed as a luxury toy and funded with "pocket money", a football club is a business like any other. The overhead has to be managed against the contribution, and failure to do this properly results in Luton, Portsmouth etc.

I do get a bit frustrated by some who rant on about why we haven''t spent on this or bought that player - and even gambling on a big signing to try and ensure EPL survival to get the big money next year. The position of DM carries a responsibility not to gamble, there is too much at stake if it all goes wrong.

Me too. I''ve been a partner or self employed in various law firms for 27 years. I''ve made the point several times that McNally''s major critics appear to have never even run a paper round.

It does matter because you have to question some of the criticism. We''ve all tried to save a shot even in the park kick about. Few have had to carry the can for a business and other people''s jobs.

One simple example. It is easy for some elderly bearded posters to say we should have raised the cash to pay what Celtic apparently wanted. No one is saying how? Borrow? Anyone who has tried will tell you it''s almost impossible now unless you go to the commercial equivilent of Wonga. Not pay our contracted repaymdnts of our debts and spend the money on Hooper instead? Business suicide as credit credibility would be lost.

The real world is not football manager.

Also, to take a different analogy, we''ve all the experience of trying to buy a house or car if even something on eBay which is beyond our budget. You put in an offer and hope that the seller will be attracted. Sometimes it works. If not, you have to walk away because you haven''t got the cash and the seller won''t budge sufficiently.

Is that really do hard to understand or identify with?

The most sensible thread in the history of this message board, well done OP.

And there was me getting forever frustrated thinking that I was the only football supporter in the world who realised that whether it was a business, a football club, or just a weekly household budget, the books somehow have to balance and therefore you cut your cloth accordingly.

yea i have run my own businesses for over 40 years and yea its not easy but in that time on have had many occasions where i have had to speculate to accumulate.

Nobody on here is asking City to go crazy just get real and buy a bit of class to help the squad we have.All we get is Leeds, Pompey comparisons not even in the same league imo, Pompey for sure have had some dodgy owners which somehow passed FA and league regulations and had our dear fiend Arry who spent 100 mill to win the FA cup, not one person on here is asking City to be that stupid.

"One simple example. It is easy for some elderly bearded posters to say we should have raised the cash to pay what Celtic apparently wanted. No one is saying how? Borrow? Anyone who has tried will tell you it''s almost impossible now unless you go to the commercial equivilent of Wonga. Not pay our contracted repaymdnts of our debts and spend the money on Hooper instead? Business suicide as credit credibility would be lost."

Spot on.

We might even have had the funds to blow huge amounts on Hooper (though Celtic didn''t want to sell), but that needn''t have made it a wise purchase at the amount being charged.

Hughton will have in his own mind the respective values of the players he is after, and McNally will be better placed than me to judge how far the budget is best deployed.

The "opportunity cost" of doing the Hooper deal could just have easily have been to have foregone Hooper + 2 additional players in the summer.

[quote user="crabbycanary"]

Hang on Aggy - please don''t pre-empt what you thought I was going to say. That''s how things get out of hand. Where did I say that? Why is it a redundant question for goodness sake?

People on here so far, have gone to great lengths to chastise how the dealings have (or not) taken place over the last month. They are using their ''emotional'' football connection, to put their opinion over. There is most certainly a ''business'' connection that just cannot be ignored. Without the business connection being run properly, then the ''emotional'' side of it would not exist (just like the Club). Everyone is an ''expert'' and entitled to an opinion, I am genuinely interested to find out if anyone (who runs a business or not) has a contribution to the greater good.

[/quote]

Fair enough crabby, it seemed rather probable that this would get turned into an "anyone who has a business knows McNally is doing the right thing, the rest of you know nothing" type thread.

In response to your question here though, I suppose to a large extent those who run businesses successfully do have an objective stance on many problems. It is very useful in business and those people who perhaps aren''t overly ''rational'' by nature will have had to learn to be so for the good of their business.

I would though say that it is a skill not necessarily confined to owning a business and plenty of people who do other things will be equally ''detached'' when analysing the club''s dealings. Alternatively, I''m sure many businessmen see their objective ''face'' slip when it comes to football, being a passionate past-time instead of a job.

Last point; I would also return to my first paragraph in this thread - that even ruthless boards will still have some acknowledgement that football isn''t ''just'' a business. Whilst the financial side of our dealings this January may have been for the best, the PR side of things (ie; the rumours, the public nature of our bidding and targets, followed by the failure to sign any of the ''big three'' targets that were made public) was perhaps not a very good way to keep the fans (customers) happy, which is just as big a part of being a successful business as the buying and selling of assets.

(Sorry for the poor quoting, I thought I had done the ''develop, user agent'' thing. Obviously not!)

I would say that the business side of football will always be the over riding ''key'' decision maker, over any emotional attachment. The risks are huge, as has been said before

[quote user="crabbycanary"]

I am particularly interested to find out how many people on here, who have been moaning about McNally etc, actually run their own business, and have an understanding on how the dynamics of a successful business are run?

Serious question, take the rip if you want, but I am also interested to see if the moaners can back their case with something substansive, that NCFC could take on board and move onwards and upwards.

[/quote]
Neither are they premier league footballers, managers, coaches and referees...
It''s a forum for god sake, a place where people share their opinion, debate and have a bit of banter, whether anyone is qualified to comment is completely redundant, we may not always agree but we all love Norwich at the end of the day and if we can behave and keep a civil tongue then what does it matter if they run a business?
It works in reverse as well you know, what right does anyone have to say everything is being run and managed brilliantly?

[quote user="Lets be aving you"]

Good topic for a thread.

I''ve run my own translation business for many years, but you do not need to run your own business to know what a budget is, because every household has one.

Without wishing to sound superior, a significant element of the population is financially ignorant, hence the repeated misselling scandals and large numbers of people in debt. "Budget" is a non-concept for many.

The linguist in me is interested in how so many euphemisms have emerged in this area. Nasty "debt" has become cuddly "credit", and "spending" has become "investment" (a particular favourite of Gordon Brown). "Pushing the boat out" sounds superficially harmeless, but seems to translate broadly as spending beyond our means.

[/quote]

All you ever need is to have had a mortgage![:(]

I run a succesful business.

Cant'' really fault the way Things have been handled at Norwich though.

I feel that last night could be key to the future of Norwich City either way.

Might backfire on us not spending money on cover for Bassong. However if we stay up then I think we will be able to fund our way to the next level next season.