Sign in to follow this  
norfolkchance1

Over the years which City signing hasn't lived up to their pre signing hype?

I can''t think of any uber-hyped players since Hughton and Lambert came along. A good thing I would say, gives the players less pressure and a clearer mind I believe.

Snodgrass was sort of hyped, but he lived up to whatever expectations he had, and even surpassed some of it.

For those of a certain age, Albert Bennett. He wasn''t a failure exactly but - unlike some of the players who have been mentioned here - he really did come with a fair bit of hype (plus white boots) but didn''t live up to it.

Any foreigners get over hyped because we don''t seem to ever have many in our squads. Over the rioch, worthington,hamilton, grant, roeder and gunn days 95% of the foreigners they signed were crap. Derveld, de waard, de blasiis, giallanza, maric, colin, brellier, strihavka, koroma, sibierski, jonsson, lupoli to name a few.

[quote user="SuperZakWhitbread"]Any foreigners get over hyped because we don''t seem to ever have many in our squads. Over the rioch, worthington,hamilton, grant, roeder and gunn days 95% of the foreigners they signed were crap. Derveld, de waard, de blasiis, giallanza, maric, colin, brellier, strihavka, koroma, sibierski, jonsson, lupoli to name a few.[/quote]I thought Lupoli was all right and at 22 could well have had a future of sorts with us, Roeder thought otherwise and squeezed him out.

Jason Jarrett seems to be getting off lightly here - unless I''ve missed him being mentioned...

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]For those of a certain age, Albert Bennett. He wasn''t a failure exactly but - unlike some of the players who have been mentioned here - he really did come with a fair bit of hype (plus white boots) but didn''t live up to it.[/quote]

I sent him off when he was playing for Bishopgate Lions in a Sunday morning game. He committed a really bad foul and I was going to book him, I asked his name and he said ''Albert f***ing Bennett'', with a nasty bit of attitude so he got a red one instead! [;)]

[quote user="Orly"]Jason Jarrett seems to be getting off lightly here - unless I''ve missed him being mentioned...[/quote]

What hype did he has?

Was just another signing, nothing special. So even though he was a let down, who was expecting much in the first place?

[quote user="First Wazzock"]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]For those of a certain age, Albert Bennett. He wasn''t a failure exactly but - unlike some of the players who have been mentioned here - he really did come with a fair bit of hype (plus white boots) but didn''t live up to it.[/quote]

I sent him off when he was playing for Bishopgate Lions in a Sunday morning game. He committed a really bad foul and I was going to book him, I asked his name and he said ''Albert f***ing Bennett'', with a nasty bit of attitude so he got a red one instead! [;)]

[/quote]

Was he still playing in white boots?![:D]

James Vaughan. Some hailed him as the best thing since sliced bread, even though he was clearly crocked. ''Don''t worry'' they said, ''he''s a bargain a 2 million quid, just wait ''til he''s fit!''. Unfortunately we''re still waiting for that day. The most bizarre signing ever for me, why sign a player who''s crocked (a totally different thing to signing a player with a broken leg, or other similar one-off injury of course, before you mention Pilkington)?

Juan Velasco was really hyped up by Guilleme Balague, I remember him saying something along the lines of Juan would be an excellent signing for a Premiership club and would provide the kick start Norwich needed in order to push for promotion.

Jim Brennan was a more than capable player for us, as was Fernando Derveld

My nomination would be Jason Jarrett who had a good reputation at Wigan before coming to us and failed dramatically

I''d also have to plump for John Hartson (no pun intended) a few said on here he''d score a few, don''t think he scored one did he?

Gaetano Giallanza looked a decent player, if only his knees weren''t made of cardboard, he won''t thank me for saying this but that was also the case for Zema Abbey

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="First Wazzock"]

[/quote]

Was he still playing in white boots?![:D]

[/quote]

We didn''t see the best of Albert Bennett because he was injured. Lol Morgan signed him to try and save his job, they knew eachother from being together at Rotherham. Anyone else remember Bryan Conlon? He came from Millwall shortly afterwards and he''d played with Morgan at Darlington. I think they would have made a decent front two but Conlon got injured too.

You had to be good to get away with white boots! I can only remember Albert Bennett and Alan Ball wearing them. Ball had a World Cup winners medal and Bennett  was an under 23 international under Sir Alf at the same time. He showed it at times for us. My greatest memory was a hat-trick at Portsmouth on Grand National day. The Pink Un headline was ''Bennett Makes It Gay Trip For Canaries''! (Gay Trip had won the national that afternoon). Happy days!

Albert still lives here and last time I saw him he had season tickets in the Jarrold with his grandson. (He''s always been a Geordie at heart though[+o(][;)] )

Peter Thorne was an odd one for sure, look at his record at his other clubs and he clearly was a player with some pedigree, scored goals wherever he played and been succesful... guess we were just the wrong club for him, no hard feelings as it happens sometimes.

Helveg and Jonsson, although i still maintin this had something to do with Worthington being out of his depth.

Thomas Helveg was a very decorated player, having played alongside some of the best players to have graced the modern game, won the champions league and Serie A and played and scored at a world cup.... a good player doesnt become bad overnight.....

[quote user="Power Hamster"][quote user="AJ"]Whilst they didn''t set the world alight, none of those players were that bad. Charlton played some good games for us, Helveg didn''t do much but was solid enough and Bentley wasn''t a bad loan capture.

I actually quite liked Jonson too, he got better as the season went on[/quote]I agree Bentley had some good games for us, but if we are comparing actual performances to the hype, I would say overall he was disappointing. Remember, he was touted as the new David Beckham at one stage (or the new Dennis Bergkamp, depending on who you believed). I suspect a lot of this was just lazy journalism, based on his DB initials, but even so the hype was there, and his subsequent career didn''t quite reach the heights that were predicted.[/quote]Well no he was just a very talented player.