Sign in to follow this  
Lurd

Genuinely baffled at the euphoria on here.

I''m aware this post won''t make me very popular - but seriously, people think THAT display was some kind of glorious triumph? This team has regressed dramatically from last season - and we won that game (in which we were out-possessed 72-28, for God''s sake) because the opponents were a joke.

We basically employed the same ultra-defensive strategy that we''ve done all season; and for once, we got lucky. But to stay up, where are the goals going to come from? Last night was like a lower division team unexpectedly winning a Cup tie. But a template for success? Do me a favour. 72-28. SEVENTY-TWO-TWENTY-EIGHT - at home too. I hate watching us play like this; and over a full 38 games, it won''t work either.

Sure...

As a note BBC have possession at 49-51, sky sports at 38-62. Both respectable against united.

Im not even going to point out whats wrong with that statement about not a template for success.

Larry, you have truly baffled me.   Here are the stats from the BBC:

Possession

Shots

10 12

On target

5 9

Now I''ve no idea where you got your stats from, or what match you were watching, but the above suggest the two sides were pretty evenly matched, and indeed I remember a period in the second half where ManUre couldn''t get a touch of the ball.  Ah well each to their own, if you must troll, troll away.

[quote user="Larry David"]I''m aware this post won''t make me very popular - but seriously, people think THAT display was some kind of glorious triumph? This team has regressed dramatically from last season - and we won that game (in which we were out-possessed 72-28, for God''s sake) because the opponents were a joke.

We basically employed the same ultra-defensive strategy that we''ve done all season; and for once, we got lucky. But to stay up, where are the goals going to come from? Last night was like a lower division team unexpectedly winning a Cup tie. But a template for success? Do me a favour. 72-28. SEVENTY-TWO-TWENTY-EIGHT - at home too. I hate watching us play like this; and over a full 38 games, it won''t work either.[/quote]

We had to go "defensive" because otherwise United would have slaughtered us...I don''t agree with your claims that we played defensive football... we had a lot of chances!

Not sure where you got your figures from but according to OPTA possession were closer to 40/60

Your also missing other key stats.

Norwich played less long passes

Norwich attempted only 4 less shots

Norwich had a passing accuracy 83%

Norwich were not some dour, negative, long ball team. They were well drilled and lookedmto counter effectively. Against United it is very unlikely that you will dominate possession and I would rather attack as we did yesterday with great effect and threat than Manchester United who rarely had seriously good penetration ofmthe defence despite their possession advantage.

[quote user="shefcanary"]
Now I''ve no idea what match you were watching.
[/quote]An old one. Someone''s gone fishing...

Same here. Yesterday was a great result and out recent form has been great. However Hughton seems to have the correct formula for the top teams, but he''s struggling to find it against lesser teams where we need to be aggressive and set out for the win. Wins against reading and villa would have been far more valuable then our actual wins over arsenal and Man U. Sure it''s great to beat the big teams, but last season we did the opposite and stayed up. We could find ourselves in a strange position having beaten some top sides but still be in a relegation fight.

Still it''s been very good recently.

Also might I add that the assist of our goal came from our full back who had avanced towards the opposition penalty area, hardly the thing a negative team would do.

We got lucky? Fergie doesn''t think so...

And if we got lucky how do you explain Arsenal and Stoke, Spurs in the cup, 0-0 with Reading? Its not luck, its a good game plan. If you can''t see that then just wow. Sure there was some luck, Man.U despite our effective game plan perhaps could have been a bit more accurate but they weren''t. We prevented them from having any really good chances, there main threat was Valencia running with the ball, but Garrido never gave him much space, and Giggs long balls through the middle, and he doesn''t need much space for that.

We won the game, we weren''t lucky. Its the 3rd game in 5 league games we''ve won playing that way. We aren''t ultra defensive, we had as many if not more good chances as Man.U, there were 3 balls into the box that didn''t even end in shots that were very dangerous. Garrido hit a shot/cross (probably a shot) that really should have been better and Howson should have scored. 3-0 wouldn''t have been a ridiculous result to be honest, 2-0 it definitely should have been.

[quote user="Larry David"]I''m aware this post won''t make me very popular - but seriously, people think THAT display was some kind of glorious triumph? This team has regressed dramatically from last season - and we won that game (in which we were out-possessed 72-28, for God''s sake) because the opponents were a joke.

We basically employed the same ultra-defensive strategy that we''ve done all season; and for once, we got lucky. But to stay up, where are the goals going to come from? Last night was like a lower division team unexpectedly winning a Cup tie. But a template for success? Do me a favour. 72-28. SEVENTY-TWO-TWENTY-EIGHT - at home too. I hate watching us play like this; and over a full 38 games, it won''t work either.[/quote]Those figures are wildly out of touch with reality. Did you go last night?Anyone would expect United to have the bulk of possession but it didn''t seem like anymore than 60/40 at maximum. If a team wants to pass the ball from side to side 30 to 40 yards away from your goal instead of getting the ball into dangerous position then I say let them have it as much as they like.The truth is that they barely made a decent chance inside the box. The best being an inadvertent back header from one of our own players. The three best chances of the game fell to City and I am more than happy with the way we are playing.

overall possession was 50/50, there was a 5-10 minute period at the end of teh game when we made them resort to long balls into the box that possession when 70/30 but that is not the whole game.

What the good chances and crosses - we opened them up regularly while they had three efforts, one from Young that ruddy was equal too, one from Welback that tettey helped go wide and a bassong header that Ruddy was also equal too.

We had the clearest chances (Holt and Howson ensured teh result was respectable for united)

And watch the goal again - the movement of the ball and players was exquisite - had that been a manure goal in its creation it would have been more oft repeated - great football; especially the fact wes put teh ball ahead of garrido instead of too his feet which encouraged teh first time cross - speeds play up so much rather than our preference for the safe ball

This is an odd thread.    Just beaten Arsenal, Stoke, Tottenham, Man Utd at home.   Drawn away matches.  Unbeaten in six matches.  Good results but still room to improve the attacking side of the game - but people still not happy?    

Having read the title, I thought I was going to agree with the original post, because as good as the win was, some threads such as "best result since x" contained some posts which were a bit over the top for a game that saw a team who finished mid-table last season beat a top side.

However, I certainly can''t criticise the performance yesterday. And as has been said, if you look at our stats for most games, I dare say we''ve created almost as many chances as the opposition in most of them. At the start of the season we had the worst scoring-to-efforts ratio in the division, because we were creating loads of chances and just not converting - that''s not a hoofball team who put 10 men behind the ball and hope to sneak one on the counter.

Although I was quite embarrassed by the overreaction to us beating Utd, it does show the passion our city has for football. Larry, I have to disagree with you on our style of play. I thought we deserved that victory as they just didn''t earn it. We didn''t go on the counter attack (until the 80th min to the 85th min) looking to grab a goal against the run of play, we defended when we had to and attacked when we had to.

I personally would like to give a shout out to B Johnson who I thought was much improved on the ball in this game compared to all of last season and quite a few this season as well.

Just when I thought this board could sink no lower, this thread comes up. We''ve just beaten one of the biggest clubs in the world and yet people still find something to complain about, embarassing.

I watched the game on ESPN. Apologises to those who will say I''m not a real fan.

I also had BBC sport website up, as i''m a geek and like to look at stats.

At one point in second half beeb had us as 52%!

Not sure where you got 72-28!

I sort of agree it''s not quite as entertaining as at times as last year...however i''m still sitting on edge of seat, we are winning a few games, and how many times in last few years have people on here been moaning we concede too many?

We finally stop leaking so many goals, and the moaners come out for something else!!

Nevermind the absurd OP... the replies are shocking.
Embarrassed about our "over reaction" to beating United? Come off of it.
No one on here complained when we cheered the roof off of Carrow Road when we got the same result against Arsenal.
That possession stat is absolute bollocks, for one. We held our own, the football on show was entertaining and we didn''t for a second look like we were fully sitting back on the 1-0 lead. 
We beat Manchester United, we didn''t get beaten 6-0 by Leicester  - the fact we are playing Manchester instead of Leicester is reason to cheer let alone beating them.
This forum is high maintenance, every week it needs it''s perspective adjusting.

Did you hate it Larry, did you really really hate it dear, never mind everyone else that was there loved it. In fact I spilled my tea with excitement and left a damp patch on my seat! 

I watched ESPN and I think at one point in the second half they put up a caption that said "Possession in the last 3 minutes", and I''m pretty sure it was something like 72% - 28%. Are you sure that wasn''t what you saw Larry?

[quote user="Nuff Said"]I watched ESPN and I think at one point in the second half they put up a caption that said "Possession in the last 3 minutes", and I''m pretty sure it was something like 72% - 28%. Are you sure that wasn''t what you saw Larry?[/quote]
Ah yes, I remember that. Probably what he meant, but then common sense from WATCHING the game should surely prevail...?

We basically employed the same ultra-defensive strategy that we''ve done all season; and for once, we got lucky. But to stay up, where are the goals going to come from? Last night was like a lower division team unexpectedly winning a Cup tie. But a template for success? Do me a favour. 72-28. SEVENTY-TWO-TWENTY-EIGHT - at home too. I hate watching us play like this; and over a full 38 games, it won''t work either.[/quote]What an idiotic post.1 - You can only beat who''s in front of you. Villa failed last week to beat Man U.2 - You said "and for once, we got lucky". Err, what about the Arsenal game then? or the Stoke game?3 - Where did you magic up your 28-72 possession?4 - Go and support Villa if you prefer Lambert''s style. No one''s forcing you to "support" Norwich, if that''s what you call it.

I was thinking about the game before I went to sleep last night, and really if anything we were very unlucky we didn''t score more...

Howson should have scored.

Garrido hit a shot/cross wide from a very good position.

Snodgrass has a decent header.

Three very dangerous balls into the box that were not quite accurate enough.

Snodgrass, Hoolahan, Tettey and Johnson (maybe Pilks) hitting decent shots from outside the box, one blocked one just wide, two on target.

As for Man.U, it was really Van Persie''s shot, one or two over the top balls to RVP, Welbeck header, Anderson shot late on, Bassong easer and that''s about it. If that''s a lucky win for us I hope we have many more.

Oh OP, you silly little man.

I believe everyone else has comprehensively made you aware of the errors in the stats you handpicked to backup your empty argument.

Also, just a side note, football is not played on spreadsheets. You must have different tactics for different opposition, that''s why we have managers. Having said that, we played positively enough to stand up against one of the best teams in the country/Europe. Regardless of whether they had a bad day.

Teams are often forced to have a bad day by the team they are playing. If we hadn''t have played how we did, Man Utd being Man Utd would have grabbed a cheeky goal or two, that''s what genuinely good teams do.

We did what we had to, CH got his tactics spot on, and it was very entertaining at times. And as someone else has already said, we could have actually had more. Negative? Defensive? Good lord no. We took the lead, looked pretty comfortable, then defended well and countered whenever we could, what on earth would you have done?!

Speaking of teams who do ''what is required on the night to get the job done'', little tip of the hat to Chelsea against Barcelona in the Champions League last season. Worked out pretty well for them.

Adapting tactics, being flexible as and when required - a sign that we got it absolutely right, nothing less.

Troll on sir...