Sign in to follow this  
RvWs 4 year contract

Steve Morison

This isnt a thread to slate Morison, its a thread for supporters to discuss Moro''s problems and how to help him through them. I''m not having a go at our fans but I just dont think he has been getting the support that any Norwich player deserves.Had it been Holty going through this bad patch we''d all be right behind him so why not Morison?I''m trying to be constructive here so any claims about his lack of interest I''m not going to bother with, this is purely about football.I was really angry with him after yesterday but that was mainly because I always take defeats badly- as I''m sure we all do. The guy has scored 10 or so goals this season in his debut premier league season.Isnt it time we cut him some slack and get behind him?

I think yesterday the team played to the tactics that Lambert wanted and we have for a number of weeks.But yesterday Morison was totally isolated. I think the answer is simple, Holt and Morison to start and a 4-4-2 with the instructions to get the ball to EB and Pilky early to cross into the box.I just don''t think we have been playing to his strengths, even Morison and Jackson would work. I just think we are not playing him to his strengths. All this build up and short passes in the final third is not creating chances, quick balls out to those who have chance to get a cross in will lead to confidence growing back. We have two strikers who in the first half of the season were causing every team problems when the ball was in the box, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal etc. There is nothing that the fans can do, because what we say is not going to influence 22,000+. I think it is the system.So Lambert has unfortunately missed a trick and I think let Morison down yesterday, it was a chance to play him and Jacko upfront. As soon as Holt was sent of I thought that it was the perfect time for the two of them to stake a claim. Instead we played a system which did not help Steve Morison.

Against Wolves there was one instance in particular when he was about to go through on goal and he just couldnt get going, earlier in the season he looked very mobile in comparision to Holt, now he looks well behind Holt . I know people come out with the lazy argument but no matter how lazy a player might or might not be you can bet he''ll go full felt if he''s likely to get a goal at the end of it, it has to be an injury at least in part holding him back. The only things fans can do is not get on his back, but thats not too likely.

I do agree with the tactics thing, Morison is a really good header of the ball but we just arnt playing that way at the momment. Possibly in part due to Tierney''s time out of the side as he really overlaps and for the first part of the season was our best player imo.

At the start of the season, Morison looked quick and could hold onto the ball.

At this point in the season, Morison looks like he is running through custard and the ball bounces off him.

Clearly he isn''t playing with as much confidence, and could do with a goal or two. The system didn''t help him much as he thrives on crosses rather than the ball being played into his feet, but he just doesn''t look to attack the ball as much now in the air, and when he has the ball at his feet, he is taking too long to make a decision. Cannot remember him getting a shot away which was frustrating.

Here here

People seem to forget the guy is still very raw and was playing non league not so long ago and is playing under jacket at millwall much different?

There is a chance that Steve is just physically and mentally knackered and needs a break but due to our small squad has to remain in the squad.

A question for all those posting on this thread, and other threads about Morison.

For arguments sake, take Morison out of yesterday’s team and replace him with Holt in the same formation….

1. Would Holt have touched the ball so few times?

2. Would Holt been got himself as isolated at Morison?

3. Would Holt have brought team mates into the game?

4. Would Holt have worked harder than Morison?

5. If Holt had been having such a bad game as Morrison yesterday would he have not done the basics, and tried to get back into the game?

6. Would Holt have hidden and not demanded the ball?

7. Would Holt have wanted more from the players immediately around him?

Yes I know we passed-passed-passed yesterday and the service to Morison wasn’t the best, but I think Holty would have shown more and we have had more options if he’d been on the pitch. Good players demand and get the ball and when they don’t get it they kick up as fuss until they do get it. I didn’t see any of that yesterday from Morison.

I’d like to think that the majority of the answers to Q1 to Q7 would have been “Yes”, apart from Q2. When Wilbraham came on, a player would we rightly or wrongly assume is inferior to Morison and does so many simple things better things than him, we have a right to question Morison’s attitude and application on the pitch.

[quote user="Tim Allman"]A question for all those posting on this thread, and other threads about Morison. For arguments sake, take Morison out of yesterday’s team and replace him with Holt in the same formation…. 1. Would Holt have touched the ball so few times? 2. Would Holt been got himself as isolated at Morison? 3. Would Holt have brought team mates into the game? 4. Would Holt have worked harder than Morison? 5. If Holt had been having such a bad game as Morrison yesterday would he have not done the basics, and tried to get back into the game? 6. Would Holt have hidden and not demanded the ball? 7. Would Holt have wanted more from the players immediately around him? Yes I know we passed-passed-passed yesterday and the service to Morison wasn’t the best, but I think Holty would have shown more and we have had more options if he’d been on the pitch. Good players demand and get the ball and when they don’t get it they kick up as fuss until they do get it. I didn’t see any of that yesterday from Morison. I’d like to think that the majority of the answers to Q1 to Q7 would have been “Yes”, apart from Q2. When Wilbraham came on, a player would we rightly or wrongly assume is inferior to Morison and does so many simple things better things than him, we have a right to question Morison’s attitude and application on the pitch.[/quote]

I think you''re right and having been given chances to redeem himself recently I think he needs time out of the squad to sort things out.

And I think that Wilbraham should partner Holt up front at home next week with Jackson as sub.

It''s also approaching time for promising yougster to be rewarded and encouraged by places on the bench. Do we have a young striker pushing to show his worth?

Can Chris Martin be recalled for a ''last chance'' so to speak?

OTBC

[quote user="Tim Allman"]A question for all those posting on this thread, and other threads about Morison.

For arguments sake, take Morison out of yesterday’s team and replace him with Holt in the same formation….

5. If Holt had been having such a bad game as Morrison yesterday would he have not done the basics, and tried to get back into the game?

Yes I know we passed-passed-passed yesterday and the service to Morison wasn’t the best, but I think Holty would have shown more and we have had more options if he’d been on the pitch. Good players demand and get the ball and when they don’t get it they kick up as fuss until they do get it. I didn’t see any of that yesterday from Morison.

I’d like to think that the majority of the answers to Q1 to Q7 would have been “Yes”, apart from Q2. When Wilbraham came on, a player would we rightly or wrongly assume is inferior to Morison and does so many simple things better things than him, we have a right to question Morison’s attitude and application on the pitch.[/quote]I also pretty much agree with most of Tim Allman''s post, however, I think the fans are getting on his back if the slightest thing goes wrong which does not help if he''s having confidence issues.  I don''t agree with the ''lazy'' accusations although he seems less willing than Holt & Simeon to chase lost causes.  But when he had more confidence earlier in the season he''s proven that he knows where the goal is after all he''s scored more goals than a certain £50m chelsea striker!  I have thought for some time that Wilbraham''s hold up play is better than Morrison as it was yesterday.  Perhaps Wilbraham has now earned a start against everton?

Agree with Tim aswell. I might get shot down for this but I''m gonna say it anyway... imo morisons ability is limited. I''ve thought this all along and unfortunately I''m being proven right at the minute. Morison is one if the best I''ve seen in a yellow shirt in the air, his headering is first class. He is also very good and putting pressure on the centre backs ( which he is failing to do at the minute) but his first touch and his general play with the ball to feet is woeful. I was telling a mate yesterday he has two wooden feet. I really , really would love him to prove me wrong. Ask yourself this how often does he try and beat the defender with the ball at his feet? How often does he shoot with his feet? He does not look very good. I knew the one up front earlier in the season had a shelf life because of this. Look at the goals he has scored... all with his head apart from a smash and grab v Apr , a pressured tap in v arsenal (which he is good at) tap in v Burnley. The one decent strike was the one off his chest v blackburn. He really is limited with the ball to feet. But I suppose if he did have two great feet then he would not be playing for us. Like I said he is fantastic in the air and at pressuring defenders because he is very strong. But because he is limited with the ball to feet I believe that plays on his mind and makes him a confidence player. I pray my comments are proven wrong I really do . I really like the guy and want him to succeed in a yellow shirt along side big grant. I have my opinions but I won''t slag him down when on the pitch I''m fully behind him. We could do with going 442 and getting the ball crossed in to his head where he can really hurt teams.

He is definately less mobile than he was at the start of the season, I think he is carrying a knock and is not 100% fit. If this is the case however why does Lambert keep playing him? I guess the answer is that at this stage of the season a lot of the players will be carrying injuries that will not properly recover until they get some rest, I think after Saturday and Wilbrehams performance that Steve will drop down the pecking order, and it will undoubtedly do him some good to spend time with the physio and get himself fit.Lambert will now undoubtedly prove my theory wrong by starting him up front on Saturday with Holty![:D] 

Would have been nice to see him and Jackson up top together.

I thought the other week when he came on as a sub, we had our man back, think it was the Wigan game, but he''s been poor since.

[quote user="Shaker Maker"]This isnt a thread to slate Morison, its a thread for supporters to discuss Moro''s problems and how to help him through them. I''m not having a go at our fans but I just dont think he has been getting the support that any Norwich player deserves.Had it been Holty going through this bad patch we''d all be right behind him so why not Morison?I''m trying to be constructive here so any claims about his lack of interest I''m not going to bother with, this is purely about football.I was really angry with him after yesterday but that was mainly because I always take defeats badly- as I''m sure we all do. The guy has scored 10 or so goals this season in his debut premier league season.Isnt it time we cut him some slack and get behind him?[/quote]I think a formation with one up front can work, but it''s not one to try with a player who is off-form. I''d like to see this formation again in the future when Morison is back on top form (I am sure he will get there again). It is also not a formation which we can really stick with when we''re 2-0 down!A player like Morison thrives on service from the wings, so I think it was an odd choice to play him when Pilkington''s injured and Bennett''s on the bench.Looking at the bigger picture though, I''m glad Norwich are constantly trying new formations and ways of playing the game, as it will only make us more versatile and resilient for the next campaign which is likely to be much more tricky.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Do we have a young striker pushing to show his worth?

[/quote]

Jamar Loza looks to be a decent prospect, but I''m not sure if he''ll be anywhere near the 1st team anytime soon.

[quote user="Shaker Maker"]There were times this season when Holty has been off form.

Would you have dropped him at the first sign of trouble?
[/quote]

I think that has already happened this season. In the Sunderland game at home Holty came on in the last fifteen or so minutes and didn’t perform impressively at all. From memory he gave away a number of silly fouls which put pressure on us at the end of the game. The next game was Man Utd away and all three subs were used ahead of Holty, the third of which was Chris Martin. But the way Holty has responded to this has been excellent.

[quote user="Tim Allman"]A question for all those posting on this thread, and other threads about Morison.

I’d like to think that the majority of the answers to Q1 to Q7 would have been “Yes”, apart from Q2. When Wilbraham came on, a player would we rightly or wrongly assume is inferior to Morison and does so many simple things better things than him, we have a right to question Morison’s attitude and application on the pitch.[/quote]

Would Holt have been booed for not putting in enough effort after he had scored 6 goals in eight games ? Morisons problem was he was not Grant Holt had taken Grant Holts place at the time and was subsequently given stick by some of his own fans. In reality being human I would not want to be where I was not wanted. My crystal ball says after he has gone in the summer next year people will be moaning why did he not do that for us ? just remember he did and was / will never be accepted by a number that attend FCR. As much as I think Morison could of been one of our best buys ever if he wants to progress he will have to leave this club. It has really shown in the last few days Wilbraham scores one goal and is suddenly a hero - Morison with 8 is a disaster.

[quote user="Cambridgeyellow"] Would Holt have been booed for not putting in enough effort after he had scored 6 goals in eight games ? Morisons problem was he was not Grant Holt had taken Grant Holts place at the time and was subsequently given stick by some of his own fans. In reality being human I would not want to be where I was not wanted. My crystal ball says after he has gone in the summer next year people will be moaning why did he not do that for us ? just remember he did and was / will never be accepted by a number that attend FCR. As much as I think Morison could of been one of our best buys ever if he wants to progress he will have to leave this club. It has really shown in the last few days Wilbraham scores one goal and is suddenly a hero - Morison with 8 is a disaster.[/quote]

Good post which I agree with, yes he''s lost his confidence but having some of his own fans on his back isn''t helping the lad, hope he does move on in the summer  to somewhere where the fans get behind him all the time.

But Wilbraham who has scored TWICE in TWO years for us is now a saviour? This slating of Morison is just getting extremely pathetic now!!!

[quote user="baldyboy"]But Wilbraham who has scored TWICE in TWO years for us is now a saviour? This slating of Morison is just getting extremely pathetic now!!!
[/quote]

This!

FFS leave Morison alone.

This pathetic small-minded attitude from some will drive him and probably Lambert away too.

If it were not for Morison we would not have anywhere near as many points as we do now and were he not pulling his weight then Lambert certainly would not pick him.

Some seem quite happy to remain as ''Little Old Nice Norwich''.

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="Cambridgeyellow"] Would Holt have been booed for not putting in enough effort after he had scored 6 goals in eight games ? Morisons problem was he was not Grant Holt had taken Grant Holts place at the time and was subsequently given stick by some of his own fans. In reality being human I would not want to be where I was not wanted. My crystal ball says after he has gone in the summer next year people will be moaning why did he not do that for us ? just remember he did and was / will never be accepted by a number that attend FCR. As much as I think Morison could of been one of our best buys ever if he wants to progress he will have to leave this club. It has really shown in the last few days Wilbraham scores one goal and is suddenly a hero - Morison with 8 is a disaster.[/quote]

Good post which I agree with, yes he''s lost his confidence but having some of his own fans on his back isn''t helping the lad, hope he does move on in the summer  to somewhere where the fans get behind him all the time.

[/quote]

He''s hardly the first is he? Ian Henderson, Andy Hughes, Carl Robinson, Gary Doherty, Dickson Etuhu, Mark Fotheringham are just a few that spring to mind. What about Nigel Worthington for another one?

Some of those players were better than others, Worthingon was definitely a better manager than some but it didn''t stop the hounding from our own fans.

It''s a shame but I suppose our fans are as fickle as the next clubs.

Morison doesn''t deserve the stick he''s been getting, for the most part nor did any of the others I''ve mentioned.

[quote user="Webbo118"]The old scapegoat factor. How often have we seen it.[/quote]

To be fair I''m sure in some idiots minds booing him or giving him a hard time is their idea of motivating him to do better.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]

[quote user="Webbo118"]The old scapegoat factor. How often have we seen it.[/quote]

To be fair I''m sure in some idiots minds booing him or giving him a hard time is their idea of motivating him to do better.

[/quote]

It always used to work for me - NOT!

The scapegoat thing being directed at Morison is absolute bull. I hate everytime I see someone say it.A scapegoat is someone who runs around and doesn''t score, a scape goat is a defender who is weaker than the other three, a goalkeeper who makes a mistake.Morison is not the reason why we have struggled to put in a good performance since Swansea and the Man U game. It has been the different systems and our players have played to the tactics that Lambert has wanted. Unfortunately Lamberts tactics have not always worked and he has not changed them quick enough when he has options on the bench, yes he is trying things but maybe not the best when a few players are now looking a little disgruntled.How can a player who came up through the leagues and scored 8 goals this season be called a scapegoat. If Cody had scored 8 goals you wouldn''t be calling him a scape goat.I don''t want to say it but EB has not put in enough shots and obviously no goals. Wingers should get 6-8 goals a season and hence he has not hit those marks. Our dead ball specialists should have scored from more direct free kicks, Pilky has had one. You can be hyper critical, but we are going to finish above the relegation zone which is amazing and we have a few players who have proved they can be a keeper in this division, defend across the back four, play in the midfield (although I would say Howson looks to be the genuine premiership midfielder) and can play striker in this division.Quite simply play the right system and Morison will perform and so will the rest of our team, play a system where we look out of sorts then all players will look isolated. On Saturday Ward and Whitbread touched the ball more than anyone else in the first half, well that is really enterprising and attcking stuff. We need the ball in creative areas and playing to our teams strengths.I would love to see Morison and Holt upfront against Everton, the flick ons Morison won against the Wolves defenders were brilliant. If I recall Holt did not win a single header in the first half against them Morison came on and was very effective. Play to our strengths play the ball quicker (and that means Fox moving the play quicker across the field) to wide players who can put the ball in the danger area for two strikers to score goals.The term scapegoat is totally wrongly associated with Morison who has scored goals, there are many others in our squad who could have that title. I do not care about those that run around for ''lost causes'' cause 9 times out of ten they are lost causes. Yes they may come off but if you can actually have an impact from the style and tactics you deploy by playing to your strengths you should not be relying on it.I still think it is simply the wrong tactics and Fulham was a perfect opportunity to play with Jackson and Morison. But well there we go, roll on Saturday.

[quote user="Shaker Maker"]There were times this season when Holty has been off form.

Would you have dropped him at the first sign of trouble?
[/quote]

You''re drawing my tongue.

But I resist.

OTBC

I agree Smooth although I just feel the problem has gone to far and even if Morison played scored a hat trick on Saturday there would be people saying yes but he would not have scored any if Holt had not set him up. Because Morison was lazy he just happened to find himself in the right place whilst others ran around for him. I know I will get stick for this but I fear this whole Holt is the only player worthy thing is destroying our club. The players must be feeling it. I am convinced that people now like Wilbraham because he does not threaten Holt. Please dont think this is a have a go at Holt post it is far from it I just fear that no one will be accepted at our great club whilst we still have Holt here. Thats fine whilst he is scoring but in a couple of seasons time when players question why would we want to move there to get stick ? And that does not say sell Holt it says respect all of our players and support every single one in the same way.

I see on another thread McNally is now tweeting to say stop putting things on message boards so to those who think players / board / staff and even managers dont read or know about what happens on here well it seems they do.

Lambert wanted the whole club to become a united team from supporters through to players and the manager. He always stated if I remember this is a results business and everybody loves me now but get in a bad run people will forget and the minority voices will become louder and want me away. Looks like he really is god even his prophecies. come true

Cambridge yellow wrote : "I fear this whole Holt is the only player worthy thing is destroying our club."

I''m sorry Cambridge, this just doesn''t wash.    No one is saying Holt is the only worthy striker/player.   We all want all of our players to do well.  Holt is deemed special for what he is achieving over his time at Norwich - rightly so, but it is not at the expense of other players. No way. If a player can''t take being second fiddle and use it as a foil to improve or up his game, you would have to question that, but as I see it, all our players are contributing to the season we are having - and players will come in and out of form.

What has been shown is that our brilliant manager has put together a successful squad from which he can call on any of the players to do a job.  So a success story all round really, don''t you think?  No need to try to switch the argument on to another player.  I think thats called stirring.

I''m sure if Morison returned to form and/or Lambo played a system to his strengths, everyone would be delighted for him. There''s not a better header of a ball in the club and if his first touch improves he could be a really valuable player for us.

I can''t say I have heard anything within the crowd that would destroy Moro''s confidence but I would refer you to many Millwall supporters who had their reservations about him and made similar comments.

McNally was tweeting regarding the rumours within the club, not about performance of players on the pitch.

I am with you 100 % LDC re the squad and the players. But do you really think our fans are not creating divisions amongst both players and fans ? Morison scored 6 in 8 and he was being booed the reason apparently he does not work as hard as Grant Holt. I saw a kid last sunday with a Norwich shirt on that had morison 5 on the back. A guy ( about 50 )said to him well that shirt was a waste of money. Our fans must take some of the blame for what has happened to Morison. He played rather well for Wales last Internationals but then the fans love him. Football is a game of opinions personally I think Morison looked like he was destined for the top. I love this club and personally I think that Morison would have become one of our great players. I fear now he is either destined for the could have been great or will become another teams great signing. As I said my problem is not Holt it is the attitude towards all our players other than Holt. In fact that applies to our great manager as well.

Maybe if Holt took over as manager then our whole club could be reunited - JOKE for those who take life seriously

Sorry, I don''t understand any of this

Morrison is simply not trying, his attitude is poor and he currently can''t trap a bag of cement and people blame the fans?

OK He has good in the air and the system doesn''t suit him but he is not working for the team and the only reason he is playing is a lack of alternatives, though I personally would have Wilbraham in from the start on occasion. Also telling team=mates to eff off is not too clever

Our fans are not to blame, this is patently absurd