Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Messiah

Chris Gunter to Norwich?

According to the Sun Lambert is lining up a £1.5million offer for Nottingham Forest right-back Chris Gunter.

Wales star Gunter, 22, will this summer be subject of a third bid, after two failures last month.

It''ll be a pity if we can''t get Naughton as he will sure as hell be improving even more for someone else next season.

Yes, with our coaching, training and the game time he has received from us he is probably worth twice as much as when he joined us.

The loan system is a wonderful system!

Tottenham have made it fairly clear that Naughton isn''t for sale - and with a potential manager change coming up I think they will wait to see what happens before allowing anyone to leave.

Gunter is a good player - was in the Cardiff youth team with Ramsey and highly thought of as a youngster. Moved a little too soon to Tottenham and his development stalled but would be a good addition to the team.

Yellow Wall - who has benefited most from Naughton being at Norwich on loan this season? I would say Norwich have.

I don''t think you can say who has benefited the most.  KN has arguably been the one of best loans we''ve had and the value Spurs can place on his head has probably risen quite a bit.

It will definitely cost more than £1.5m for him! As we apparently bid £2m for him in January!!

I would like him here though, he''s fairly young and a very good full back. He would be ideal if we can''t get KN, which I doubt we can afford sadly

Isn''t Naughton out of contract in the Summer or am I confused? If so thenhis must have some relevance to the matter. Redknapp''s future also. There''s mileage in this saga yet IMO, including Kyle''s own preferences.

Re: Gunter. When PL gets his teeth into a desired signing, he doesn''t let go easily. The player must be a good''un.

Assuming Naughton is leaving after the season, then we surely need a new right back, but we also need a left back. Drury is not going to be offered a new contract I think, and with Tierney injured, we are short at this time, and surely will be next season unless someone comes in.

[quote user="grefstad"]

Assuming Naughton is leaving after the season, then we surely need a new right back, but we also need a left back. Drury is not going to be offered a new contract I think, and with Tierney injured, we are short at this time, and surely will be next season unless someone comes in.

[/quote]

Drury has been outstanding since his recall and I suspect he''s one of those who goes on forever. So clean-cut.

Having said that, a new left-back won''t go amiss even though there is versatility in the back four atm.

[quote user="AJ"]It will definitely cost more than £1.5m for him! As we apparently bid £2m for him in January!! I would like him here though, he''s fairly young and a very good full back. He would be ideal if we can''t get KN, which I doubt we can afford sadly[/quote].....i think you will find that we can afford naughton but it would  take too much of our summer transfer budget to do so and we will pull out of any potential deal. i would love to see naughton line up next season as a fully fledged canary (pun intended). [*]

[quote user="star_manic"][quote user="AJ"]It will definitely cost more than £1.5m for him! As we apparently bid £2m for him in January!! I would like him here though, he''s fairly young and a very good full back. He would be ideal if we can''t get KN, which I doubt we can afford sadly[/quote].....i think you will find that we can afford naughton but it would  take too much of our summer transfer budget to do so and we will pull out of any potential deal. i would love to see naughton line up next season as a fully fledged canary (pun intended). [*][/quote]

I''m not sure that''s correct. I suspect it would have taken up too much of our January budget (and would have prevented the purchase of Bennett), plus also I think Spurs were worried about leaving themselves short of cover. In addition we were under no real pressure to complete the deal as he was on a season long loan and couldn''t be recalled once we got into the last 90 days of the season.

It''s a whole new ball game in the summer when we will have another lump of cash for being in the Prem, plus the TV money, plus whatever we get for our finish in the league. As for the argument about us raising his price it''s pretty facetious. His price has gone up because he''s proved himself through performing well in the Prem - for City! Had he not had that experience he''d be cheaper but less experienced, so it''s a completely circular argument and I certainly wouldn''t rule him out as a full signing in the summer.

I am ery confident that KN is out of contract this summer, so any transfer fee we pay wou;ld be quite minimal as would be compensation through a hearing. i think the balls in Naughton''s court in all honesty. We need to make him an attractive wage offer in the summer to stand any chance as i expect teams with a larger wage budget will come calling for him

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

Isn''t Naughton out of contract in the Summer or am I confused? If so thenhis must have some relevance to the matter. Redknapp''s future also. There''s mileage in this saga yet IMO, including Kyle''s own preferences.

[/quote]

Understand Naughton signed for Spurs July 2009 and if it was a three year contract then it ends 30th.June this year.Spurs therefore would have to offer him new contract on terms no worse than he is on now or he becomes a free agent and can sign for another club for no fee.As he is under 24 he could move to another club at end of contract for a mutually agreed fee between the two clubs or one agreed by arbitration tribunal, so could be a bargain buy.That is how I understand the situation, but Premiership rules are more complicated than the Maastrict treaty so could be all bo//ocks.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

[/quote]

He is out of contract this summer and the choice is whether he wants regular football with us or be a squad player at Tottenham.

[quote user="grefstad"]

[/quote]

That young  England U21 left back at Middlesbrough looks useful.

Can he sign on a bosman now if he out of contract in the summer or do those rules not apply to under 24s?

Alternatively spurs could have a 1 year extension option that could look to apply?

If he''s out of contract in the summer then presumably it will come down to wages. I would think the wages Spurs will offer him to stay or those that other premiership clubs might offer him as a free agent will make it very difficult for us to sign him up. Guess if there is a chance then it will depend on how much he likes it here and i have very little feel for that. He''s obviously not unhappy as he seems settled and is playing really well but not really seen any interviews with him or picked up any vibes about whether he loves it Pacheco style or indeed enough to pass up the chance of higher wages elsewhere (maybe from the likes of West ham, Fulham or if they stay up QPHa)

[quote user="Jim Smith"]If he''s out of contract in the summer then presumably it will come down to wages. I would think the wages Spurs will offer him to stay or those that other premiership clubs might offer him as a free agent will make it very difficult for us to sign him up. [/quote]

One thing in our favour is regular first team football versus what at Tottenham (given that Walker is their regular right back)?

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Can he sign on a bosman now if he out of contract in the summer or do those rules not apply to under 24s? [/quote]

If the clubs cannot agree a fee then he can sign for us and leave it to a tribunal to state the fee.

They sold an in contract, experienced Hutton to Aston Villa for £4m. so I cant see the fee being that high. 

Love how Lambert again is stinking to British players!!

Agree he does, I think he may be another one called Bennet.Not too

sure about Chris Gunter, watched him play for Wales this evening, bit

of  a strange game in view of the circumstances, but tonight Gunter was

certainly no Naughton when he was going forward!  

Yeah I was always of the view that Naughton''s contract ran out end of the year. Hence it was always compensation and wages.

Personally I think Naughton has been pretty integral and proved it by playing left back this year and centre back against Bolton. He clearly is enjoying first team football and life at Norwich City. For me his signing is very important. He is settled with the team, we know what to expect... Gunter we do not. Naughton is going to become a fantastic right back, right now he is ahead of Martin on ability and potential.

I always believe you should improve your current squad and hence if Gunter is better than Naughton then you go for him, but I certainly feel aftre a muted move in january never materialised to have him here perm. that we can begin to work on turning his head to remain at Carrow Road.

I think Gunter is a nice option, but priority is consistency and I think get Naughton back for 2012-13 and beyond and we will have consistency down the right.

Left back is an interesting one, I worry it could be a year to far for Drury there. I fear there will be crash and burn moment, so I would sign him up but I then would look at a youngster who can come in behind Tierney and Drury, learn for a year and then take over from Adam in a years time. Again consistency is the key to staying up next year.

However saying that the Man U game did show that in our back line we need that voice that experienced voice to lead our defence. There may be scope for us looking at a more experienced full back either left or right who can be that voice. I would have it at centre back but right now we are probably in a very position if we can sign up Whitbread. The article on todays pinkun has come out at a particularly good time so I wonder if there is something to be announced soon.

[quote user="AJ"]Love how Lambert again is stinking to British players!![/quote]What''s your source on this unconventional approach you claim Lambert is using AJ? [;)]