Sign in to follow this  
YellowBlood

Player of the season voting open

Who we all going for this year? John Ruddy for me. Made some quality saves at vital times, his distribution has also improved from last year. 2nd for me would be Holty and 3rd Norfolk cafu.

Very tough choice this year. It really has been a team effort by the whole squad to achieve what we have so far. If Holt gets another 4 or 5 goals before the end of the season I could see him making it a hat trick. Really is an inspirational figure.

O what a tough one this year.Zak - has been immense, just missed a fair bit of the seasonTierney- was really solid before he got injured, i really think we miss himHolt- has been as valuable as everSurman- really came into his own last couple of months, really proved me wrongFox- has really made a difference in how we play when he is on his gameNaughten- another very solid full back, gets better and better for usDespite all the potential winners i would have to give it to Ruddy, has been a great leader at the back, a big presence in the goal (which really helps the defenders) and has pulled off some immense saves- it''s hard to think of any points he has cost us this season, but there are quite a few saves that spring to mind in which he has saved us the points- those two stats are what you look for in a keeper

I think the Ruddy assessments are sound, however, as long as Holty puts on a yellow shirt he is my choice.

For me its fox fox fox. The one player that we dont perform without - we get twice as many points per game with him than without him and we dont suffer silly defeats when his starts. And he is a better player at prem level than champs too

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]For me its fox fox fox. The one player that we dont perform without - we get twice as many points per game with him than without him and we dont suffer silly defeats when his starts. And he is a better player at prem level than champs too

.[/quote]Ruddy or Fox for me. The case above leans me towards Fox. Holt takes third.

Fox or Holt but i say Holt just to give him the hatrick and to firmly put him in the book of legends for our great grand children

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]I think the Ruddy assessments are sound, however, as long as Holty puts on a yellow shirt he is my choice.[/quote]

He gets my vote too Broady[Y]

[quote user="priceyrice"]O what a tough one this year.Zak - has been immense, just missed a fair bit of the seasonTierney- was really solid before he got injured, i really think we miss himHolt- has been as valuable as everSurman- really came into his own last couple of months, really proved me wrongFox- has really made a difference in how we play when he is on his gameNaughten- another very solid full back, gets better and better for usDespite all the potential winners i would have to give it to Ruddy, has been a great leader at the back, a big presence in the goal (which really helps the defenders) and has pulled off some immense saves- it''s hard to think of any points he has cost us this season, but there are quite a few saves that spring to mind in which he has saved us the points- those two stats are what you look for in a keeper[/quote]Agree with all that.for me it as to be Holt.We are such a better team when he is on the pitch, even when he isnt playing particulary well

Big John Ruddy for me. Simple as that.

Apart from not keeping many clean sheets he has made some world class saves and is on the brink of an England call up...

interesting to see 2nd and 3rd from last year have yet to get a mention.

I''m a massive fan of one of them but even I had thought he would have done a little bit better than he has so far...he''s still done ok IMO but the Prem teams/maangers have sussed him out. I like the other player but always feared he would have limits in the Prem...he has actually done better than I''d expected...but has still been the weak link the last few times I''ve seen us.

HOLT, FOX, WHITBREAD, RUDDY...1 from them come May for me.

(I''d have even included Moro'' in that lot from the first few months but he has dropped off a tad).

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

Apart from not keeping many clean sheets he has made some world class saves and is on the brink of an England call up...

[/quote]Really?We had a friendly last week and he wasnt in the squad.

[quote user="CDMullins"][quote user="I am a Banana"]

[/quote]

Really?

We had a friendly last week and he wasnt in the squad.

[/quote]

Maybe I should have finished it with ''IMO''

Zak all day long for me. His performance against Stoke epitomised his season, we also need to get him a new contract asap.

[quote user="City1st"]Is the season over already ?[/quote]Agreed. Surely voting could wait at least another month?There are a good six or seven players who could deserve POS for what they have done but I don''t think there is any one outstanding candidate. Pick any one from Ruddy, Whitbread, Naughton, Fox, Surman, Morison or Holt.It''s a team game though so I''d pick them all.

[quote user="Willmeister"]Zak all day long for me. His performance against Stoke epitomised his season, we also need to get him a new contract asap.
[/quote]

Now, I''m a big fan of Zak but...

while he''s been immense for the last couple of months he wasn''t quite as good earlier in the season. It''s also worth noting that he has featured in only 14 of our 27 Premier League fixtures.

Obviously that number of appearances is almost certain to increase by the end of the season but you have to compare it to other candidates. Grant Holt, for example, has made 26 PL appearances and scored 10 goals.

Does what Whitbread has done (at this stage) outweigh what Holt has done?

Player of Half the season = Zak Whitbread

but for Player of the Season has to be John Ruddy. Despite only keeping two clean sheets thus far he has been solid in virtually every game and gives you that reassurance in games.

As a Goalkeeper he has upwards of 9 or 10 combinations of the back 4 in front of him which is never easy and won points in the dying minutes against Liverpool, Sunderland and Chelsea.

A player that has had to fight off the Imperial ghost of Fraser Forster and it is with great credit to Ruddy that FF''s name has not been talked about virtually all season this year. An ever-present (bar the Chelsea suspension) with solid, consistent performances the whole year round. John Ruddy, my player of the season.

Other Nominees who have had great spells during the season:

Grant Holt

Russell Martin

Zak Whitbread

Andrew Surman

David Fox

On a side note Kyle Naughton has also very impressive but is not included due to his current status as a loan player.

Surely it has to be Holt.

He epitomises everything that this team is about: a group of honest triers who have made their way up from the lower leagues and have proved wrong all those doubted whether they were good enough for the Prem.

The tyre-fitter who''s scored against United, Chelsea and Liverpool = the club that''s come from League One and looked right at home in top flight.

Agree with those who say it''s a team game. Giving it to Holt is the best way of reflecting that.

It''s an inconvenient truth that our player of the season could be someone who doesn''t belong to us and may never play for us again at the end of the season.

This player has quietly gone about his game, covered more ground than any other player, switched positions and played for an adopted Club with passion.

I could nominate players already mentioned, and with good reason, but could we need to find the honesty to vote for Kyle Naughton, surely our best ever loan?

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

It''s an inconvenient truth that our player of the season could be someone who doesn''t belong to us and may never play for us again at the end of the season.

This player has quietly gone about his game, covered more ground than any other player, switched positions and played for an adopted Club with passion.

I could nominate players already mentioned, and with good reason, but could we need to find the honesty to vote for Kyle Naughton, surely our best ever loan?

[/quote]...................ehrrrrm, darren huckerby anyone?