Sign in to follow this  
Supermarket Prodigy

Grant Holt - Twitter v Swansea

Wonder if this will put more strain on a already difficult relationship between Holty and Mozza?

Lambert should drop Holt for Saturday, the dirty little toewag. Roeder wouldn''t put up with this kind of behaviour.

You would think the Swansea fans would be upset by something real, like how much their offense sucks, or that native daughter Catherine Zeta Jones is married to a 90 year old.

However, if they want to get riled up by Holt, then let them focus on that.  I''m sure he will thrive in such an atmosphere of blind misguided hatred directed towards him.  He''s probably laughing about this, and looking forward to Saturday more than ever.

[quote user="Wesbian"]Has Holty defended himself with "I''m not racist, one of my best strike-partners is Welsh!" yet?
[/quote]

Steve Morison Welsh?

Ho ho ho!

He has a granny who was born in Ebbw Vale, and that''s about it..........[:S]

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[quote user="Wesbian"]Has Holty defended himself with "I''m not racist, one of my best strike-partners is Welsh!" yet?[/quote]

Steve Morison Welsh?

Ho ho ho!

He has a granny who was born in Ebbw Vale, and that''s about it..........[:S]

Ah, the old Ebbw Vale granny trick eh, lovely place EbbwVale, all RTB and Arthur Lewis!

OTBC

[/quote]

a) It wasn''t racist.

b) The Swansea fan clearly wasn''t offended, he simply used it as an excuse to try to force Holt into either submission or, as seemed the end game, some form of ban (the first thing he did was tweet Iwan Robert and Robbie Savage crying ''Holt''s been racist, waaah''. They''re scared of him, simple.

c) Anyone who doesn''t understand the above is an idiot.

d) That is all.

I do wonder why Holyty has recently decided to become the Pantomime Villain.  I know you''ll say its not recent, and that he''s had flak from opposition fans over his weight etc for ages and is just giving some back.  However, in the past he used to raise his shirt to show his trim stomach after he scored to prove they were wrong and it was very funny, even the opposition fans after the match would realise that they had spurred him on and should have kept quiet.  Recently though, Holty seems to have raised the stakes.  Remember his silent, in-goal, arms-outstretched celebration after scoring against West Brom?  I think he''s trying to vie with Barton, Savage et al as being the player other fans love to hate the most.  Part of me thinks keeping to light hearted banter with the fans on the pitch with a smile on your face is the right way to go.  At the very least a good number of fans go home and say "fair play to him".

I think Holty''s a good bloke and a great player - he just needs to drop this silly persona and enjoy his top-flight status while playing the game with a smile on his face.  Opposition fan baiting is a bit silly and will just get him into hot water eventually.

I have no idea whether to laugh or cry. If this isn''t the most pathetic "mountain/molehill" I''ve ever heard.

This is the time of year when I sit down with my rugby brethren from across the borders, and the seas, to watch a few games of egg chasing known as the Six Nations.

If the PC brigade could hear what we affectionately call banter in the bar/clubhouse, we would all be locked up or banned from sport for life. Some of my closest friends will, for 80mins or more, become the enemy, and the abuse that ensues from all sides turns the air all shades of blue (my granny would not approve).

We must surely be the nastiest most racist thugs to have ever walked these shores. And as for those mean Taff''s, Jock''s, Paddy''s, Froggies and Eyeties who all band together to hate the English? Better sue them all! And I''m not even going to mention the hate filled songs that swell Murrayfield and the Millenium Stadium.

Jeeeeez!

Get a life.

[quote user="Sim086"]Every body is so PC these days, thats why we dont have proper christmas anymore[/quote]

Magnificent [:D] 

For the record I don''t think there is much to get upset about here. However the ''It''s banter. It''s what we do in Britain'' defence is naive at best and I have seen it used to defend genuine racist language in the past (apparently there is nothing offensive about p*ki because some families used to refer to their local shop as ''the p*ki shop'' due to it having Asian owners [:O]). Luis Suarez tried to defend his racist language with the defence that it was normal practice in Uruguay and I don''t see how claiming that it is normal for the English to refer to Paddies, Jocks and Taffs is much different. Bottom line is if you want to indulge in ''banter'' on a public forum then it''s best not to bring race, religion or nationality into it as it is not always apparent how serious you are being.

[quote user="priceyrice"]Wow, this board has surpassed my expectations of utter ridiculusness today.

There is plenty of national banter between all countries in the UK, even in the media in today''s world. The same goes for banter between the North and the South, what Holt has said is nothing more than that.

Some of you have thrown this way out of proportion because of all the recent racisim debates surrounding flootball. The whole racism thing has been made into something it really didn''t need to. The terry and Suarez thing was debated for too long and should have been kept private. the media attention did nothing good for racism in football, in fact i think it has put us back a step or two because now the commentators don''t even know whether to say black or coloured.

Long ago banter between the Welsh and the UK became acceptable in public, not just privately, i guarantee in 100 years the same will be true for banter between black and white people. The more people focus on the negative side of racism the longer it will go on, the quicker we move to accept banter between all races, the sooner racism will not be so prolific. I  am not sure my point is entirely clear here, what i mean is that banter is not the same as racism and the quicker we realise that what most people say, such as Holt in this situation, is banter and not racist the better off our world will be.

I can put it in a chart

Stage 1                      Stage 2                                                   Stage 3
Racism (bad) - Acceptable racism (scot, irish, welsh man joke) - banter (good)

If we cannot joke about ourselves we should not be able to joke about anyone else, once the world reaches the stage (stage 3) where we can accept we are all different and can joke about it rather than hate people for it, we will be living in a much better world
[/quote]

WOW!

Yeah needs to be careful but are they disappointed that they are Welsh?   I''m sure if I was welsh I''d have a smartarse retort to that pretty quickly...however   Twitter catches everybody

This whole issue is quite frankly pathetic.I am half Welsh, does that make me mixed-race?  No.  This is in no way racist, it is xenophobic if you really think that Holt was being hateful.  If someone calls a person from Norfolk inbred, or vice versa us calling Ipswich fans inbred, does that make them/us racist?  No.If you can''t joke with people nowadays what on earth can you do, bloody hell.

[quote user="ncfcstar"]This whole issue is quite frankly pathetic.

I am half Welsh, does that make me mixed-race?  No.  This is in no way racist, it is xenophobic if you really think that Holt was being hateful.  If someone calls a person from Norfolk inbred, or vice versa us calling Ipswich fans inbred, does that make them/us racist?  No.

If you can''t joke with people nowadays what on earth can you do, bloody hell.
[/quote]

Others will disagree with you, ask Aggy and Shankslad who both said the other day on another thread, white on white racism does and can take place, I wasn''t sure before but I tend to agree with both of them given their explanations were both spot on. However what Holt said is so far away from ''racism'' its unreal.

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]Others will disagree with you, ask Aggy and Shankslad who both said the other day on another thread, white on white racism does and can take place, I wasn''t sure before but I tend to agree with both of them given their explanations were both spot on. However what Holt said is so far away from ''racism'' its unreal. [/quote]Of course white on white racism takes place, I don''t have any disagreement with that.  Racism is racism.  Having a pop at someones nationality or region is NOT racist though, by definition.  It''s xenophobia.

[quote user="ncfcstar"]

If you can''t joke with people nowadays what on earth can you do, bloody hell.
[/quote]

You can but the point is when you bring race, religion or nationality into that joke on a public forum with and when the joke is directed at somebody you don''t know then you''re asking for trouble. There is a world of difference between mates joking between themselves about their differences in private and making the same joke to a stranger with thousands of people watching. I don''t see why that is so difficult for people to understand.

[quote user="zemas tendon"]

Think most of you on here are still stuck to there Mothers Apron Strings

[/quote]

As usual, a thought provoking and useful post from the resident message board idiot!

Swansea, Cardiff & Wrexham fans need to be reminded that they''re playing in the English League and should be grateful for that.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[quote user="ncfcstar"]If you can''t joke with people nowadays what on earth can you do, bloody hell.[/quote]

You can but the point is when you bring race, religion or nationality into that joke on a public forum with and when the joke is directed at somebody you don''t know then you''re asking for trouble. There is a world of difference between mates joking between themselves about their differences in private and making the same joke to a stranger with thousands of people watching. I don''t see why that is so difficult for people to understand.

[/quote]I appreciate what you are saying, but I could have taken as much offence to that comment as the guy who claimed racism, and the various others afterwards, did.  I also appreciate that some are easily offended, but come on, it was hardly Mein Kampf.If what Holt had said was done with malice, then fair game, but it clearly wasn''t.  And no one is going to convince me that it was racism.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Divs crew"]sheep Shag-gers the lot of them! [:D]........If ya dont like it dont read it! Simple![/quote]You clearly are quite simple, seeing as your solution ("if you don''t like it, don''t read it") forgets the fact that you don''t know if you''re going to "like" something until you''ve read it.What''s your view on travelling to places you''ve never been to before?  "If you don''t like it, don''t go there"?[/quote]

And don''t go anywhere near water until you''ve learned to swim!

God help Britain when this soppy generation are in postions of power.....The school system it seems are doing a great job of turning out gutless lefty pansies scared of their own shadow... and scared of the world around us.It really is a scandal.

It was a complimentary tweet with a little comment made in jest. The world has gone made.

I appreciate we have to be more careful when making comments behind a screen where context can be lost but anybody with a few brain cells can see there was no malice or meaning behind the comment.

[quote user="Shyster"]Swansea, Cardiff & Wrexham fans need to be reminded that they''re playing in the English League and should be grateful for that.

[/quote]

Exactly, maybe his comment was not expressing a hatred of anything Welsh, but just his view that the ENGLISH Premier League should consist of English teams, and that''s why he said "shame there Welsh"...

...or people are just over analysing things.  Heaven forbid anyone should ask him want he thinks of Paul "shame he''s ginger" Scholes!

Wales is just a region of the UK like Cornwall or Yorkshire, if you said something about Scousers or Mancs or Geordies it would be just laughed off.

Equally if an Australian said something about the British I doubt they would be called racist.

Also when the British talk about the French or the Argentines its usually derogatory, yet is never badged as racism.

I live up north and often get called inbred and 6 toes ect so what I give as good as I get . I''m often taking the piss out of how they talk. It''s called banter. Without it my job and life in general would be boring