Sign in to follow this  
Supermarket Prodigy

Grant Holt - Twitter v Swansea

Swansea fans getting all worked up because Holty said this:

grant holt @holty30 Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

@PontardaweJack9 good team nice ground shame there welsh

Been bantering with them and what not. Is that really something to get stirred up about?

He''ll be getting a hot reception now by the looks of things, I''m sure it''s just like rocket fuel for him though!

http://forum.planetswans.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=117008

"@PontardaweJack9 good team nice ground shame there welsh"Ignoring the "there/they''re" issue, substitute "Indian" or "Pakistani" for "Welsh" and it''s an FA ban for you, fatty.

LMAO. I didnt realise he was back on twitter. What a legend! Look forward to watching him celebrate when he scores on Sat - should be funny as!

Chopsy - I think if Holty called the Swansea fans Pakistani or Indian then he''d probably get a Geography lesson instead of a ban!!

My opinion of him has just gone down- you can''t say that stuff in a public forum no matter if it is ''banter'' or ''meant with a wink'' because you cannot tell for sure.My mother in law is Welsh, I give her stick for it and she gives me stick for being English... it''s fun and it''s funny. If I were to say the same things to another Welshman (or woman) who I didn''t know or didn''t know me it would be quite offensive.If I typed it in an email she''d probably be quite hurt too.

[quote user="Supermarket Prodigy"]I think in the context of what he could have said though, it could have been far worse, couldn''t it?[/quote]Yes, if you start with the point of view that he has no brain and could in theory have replied with anything.If you assume he''s a professional who knows a bit about the game, and not a complete tool off the pitch, then you''d have to agree he''s let himself down with a very stupid "tweet".

Welsh isn''t a race ergo he wasn''t being racist. Its the same as Southern''s jokes about the North or the usual comments about Norfolk.

[quote user="JF"]http://forum.planetswans.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=117008[/quote]

What a horrible lay out that forum is, hurt my eyes reading it!

[quote user="Mahogany"]Welsh isn''t a race ergo he wasn''t being racist. Its the same as Southern''s jokes about the North or the usual comments about Norfolk.[/quote]That''s a pretty weak argument, TBH.  Pakistanis aren''t a different "race" from Indians.

Never mind me though, let''s ask the United Nations what they think (thanks, Wiki):

the term "racial discrimination" shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction, or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic

origin that has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the

recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life.
[12]

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Supermarket Prodigy"]I think in the context of what he could have said though, it could have been far worse, couldn''t it?[/quote]Yes, if you start with the point of view that he has no brain and could in theory have replied with anything.If you assume he''s a professional who knows a bit about the game, and not a complete tool off the pitch, then you''d have to agree he''s let himself down with a very stupid "tweet".[/quote]

It''s a bit out of character from him really I think. Was a stupid thing to say, I mean the original tweet that he replied to was just asking what he thought of Swansea.

Bit of a weird reply. If he''d got abuse I''d understand it more. Still think that they''re getting a bit tetchy over something very minimal, let''s be fair they sing worse about the English. But it is a bit unprofessional from Holty - you''d expect him to be a bit better than that.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Don''t really see a problem if this is among banter, there''s a he''ll of a lot more to get worked up about going on in the world.[/quote]I really don''t think Twitter or any public forum is the place for banter and people should realise that.Things can and will be taken out of context- banter works face to face and among friends but when the whole world can witness or read it it becomes a different thing. Any explaining of it tends to sound like a poor excuse and backtracking.

Yellow Shirt has it spot on, I think typed words can always come out the wrong way.

In a bizarre sense it''s almost a backhanded compliment if you''re putting on your yellow and green glasses.

Saying it''s a shame they''re not English - good side?!

Clutching at straws a bit, but we know its not like him. He''s all for banter, but perhaps just been a tad out of taste on this occasion.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mahogany"]Welsh isn''t a race ergo he wasn''t being racist. Its the same as Southern''s jokes about the North or the usual comments about Norfolk.[/quote]That''s a pretty weak argument, TBH.  Pakistanis aren''t a different "race" from Indians.[/quote]

Might as well be - at least Hinduism is a relatively peaceful religion.

Here we go again...Something else for the PC bedwetters on here to get all beside themselves about.If  Holty has upset the poor little down-trodden ever-so-sensitive Swansea/Welsh folk, then good for him say I!

[quote user="Divs crew"]sheep Shag-gers the lot of them! [:D]........If ya dont like it dont read it! Simple![/quote]You clearly are quite simple, seeing as your solution ("if you don''t like it, don''t read it") forgets the fact that you don''t know if you''re going to "like" something until you''ve read it.What''s your view on travelling to places you''ve never been to before?  "If you don''t like it, don''t go there"?

So is it ok for the Swansea fans to chant ''we hate the f*ckin English'' ? Is that not racist ?

Everybody is scared to mention any colour or creed anymore for fear of being accused of being racist.

I do think it is easy for someone to jump on the racist bandwagon.

I find it offensive when people ask if I have six fingers cause I am a Norwich fan - of course I don''t I live in Cambridgeshire !

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mahogany"]Welsh isn''t a race ergo he wasn''t being racist. Its the same as Southern''s jokes about the North or the usual comments about Norfolk.[/quote]That''s a pretty weak argument, TBH.  Pakistanis aren''t a different "race" from Indians.[/quote]

Might as well be - at least Hinduism is a relatively peaceful religion.[/quote]There''s a surprise - mention racism and the in-house bigot arrives.  How''s Paul Gadd getting on these days?

Rather than wade through the semantics I''ll cut to the chase. The main issue here, which will, I suspect, have Lambert doing his nut, is that you do not write the opposing managers team talk for him, which is what Holty has done. Swansea don''t need any motivation so why gift them even more?

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mahogany"]Welsh isn''t a race ergo he wasn''t being racist. Its the same as Southern''s jokes about the North or the usual comments about Norfolk.[/quote]That''s a pretty weak argument, TBH.  Pakistanis aren''t a different "race" from Indians.[/quote]

Might as well be - at least Hinduism is a relatively peaceful religion.[/quote]There''s a surprise - mention racism and the in-house bigot arrives.  How''s Paul Gadd getting on these days?[/quote]

Well, I''m not so surprised you took the bait - again.

Problem is, these things always get hijacked by the uber-sensitive on the one hand, who would have none of us ever mentioning anything about anything, and the moronic on the other hand who think racism is fine.

IMO there is plenty of ground inbetween, and this is where Holt''s comments sit, perhaps not his cleverest tweet but there is really so much more to be bothered by.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Problem is, these things always get hijacked by the uber-sensitive on the one hand, who would have none of us ever mentioning anything about anything, and the moronic on the other hand who think racism is fine.

IMO there is plenty of ground inbetween, and this is where Holt''s comments sit, perhaps not his cleverest tweet but there is really so much more to be bothered by.[/quote]

Your right, as soon as this was posted all the girls come running out to play, it`s friendly banter, whats the problem?