Sign in to follow this  
BarclayCanary (Former HDDH)

Feeling Sorry for Newcastle Fans

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15668207.stm

This is due to the ''temporary'' name change which the stadium has gone through, personally if this happened to Carrow Road even temporarily I would be pissed off and a little upset about it and I am sure many others would be.

So just a question to my fellow Canaries, how would you feel if this happened permanently to Carrow Road, even temporarily?

OTBC!

Its not mean''t to be temporary for Newcastle, their doing it to attract another investor. Mike Ashley doesn''t want to sponsor his club with his own company. So while that name is temporary, they are hoping for a different sponsor, so saying its temporary doesn''t really seem right...

I wouldn''t care to be honest, we would all still call it Carrow Road wouldn''t we? And McNally isn''t going to let the ground name change without a fair bit of money coming our way... Its the way football is nowadays, and its not going to change unless a huge proportion of fans probably with player backing try and do something about it, which isn''t going to happen any time soon is it?

Newcastle fans must feel awful, 3rd in the Premier League and player salaries lower than when they were relegated, £35m for Andy Carroll and one of the best scouting networks in the Premier League.

I think I could handle the name being changed for that - especially when everyone will still call it St James'' Park.

Just like everyone who said they''d still call the Championship Div one and League 2 Div 3 ;)

The new name will be pushed down our throats and within 10 years be known as that by a generation of fans.

I agree with Bethnal, how many people still call our stands the South Stand and River End, I know I do.

Football is big business these days and if Newcastle feel they can get a competitive advantage this way then good luck to them. Those opposed to the change should wake up and get with the times. I personally would have no problem with NCFC doing exactly the same.

I wouldnt care, in my head it would always be called Carrow Road and if it means up to 10 million per year to buy 2,3 / 4 class players then why not !Newcastle fans just moan about everything and anything.

"The Marcus Evans Arena has quite a nice ring to it though doesn''t it!"

I thnik more the Ipswich Council Tip, as it should be renamed.

the whole newcastle thing reminds me of us under Chase....If they are in a decent position in january and Pardew wants funding to push the club on with another club looking for a manager and Ashley dragging his feet we might see a familiar story play out...

Shame to see St James'' Park being renamed, or any old ground come to think of it.Personally I''d hate it if NCFC were to ever get Carrow Road renamed. I''d rather keep the history than change the stadium name every so often when a new deal comes along.

[quote user="barclaystand"]Shame to see St James'' Park being renamed, or any old ground come to think of it.

Personally I''d hate it if NCFC were to ever get Carrow Road renamed.
I''d rather keep the history than change the stadium name every so often when a new deal comes along.

[/quote]

I personally do not see the difference between giving the stadium a Sponsor''s name, and having individual stands named (Jarrold, N&P etc), adverts on the shirt, or even round the perimeter of the pitch. As others have said, most of us will call it Carrow Rd any way; just as Toon fans will still refer to Sid James Park.

If some firm is mug enough to give us a wad of cash , then I do not see what the problem is, particularly if the money goes into team building, as opposed to shareholders or board members pockets.

Companies don''t really care about what fans call a stadium - it''s all about what it is called on TV. Think how many times during Final Score and Gillette Soccer Saturday the name of a stadium is said, also think about how many times it is printed in a paper etc. This is what companies are really going after.

harsh facts...this is football 2012! I''d prefer to keep it as Cara rud (which we''d always call it), but £10m to go towards players, scouting, and the youth team set up...yes please...I can''t wait for the next game at the Colmans Mustard bowl!

Note* how long ago did they change linesmen to "assistant referee''s" - I dont think I ever called them that...always a "lino" to me, that and "open your eye you useless C......"

The significance of Carrow Road is that there is a football stadium there, not the other way round. We would still be sited in the same location if they did change the stadium name, so there''s no reason to feel attached to it. Anyone still pining for ''The Nest''?

Came on this thread expecting to read a lot of stuff about keeping the name for sentimental value, glad most people so far are looking at the additional revenue side of it though.i would be happy with changing our name if we got a large cash windfall, doubt we could generate anywhere near what newcastle will and for us it''s not the right time for it, but int he future i wouldn''t mind us changing the stadium name, it will always be Carrow rd to me, i don''t really mind what the next generation of fans call it.On another note, what do people think about Newcastle strategy, seems Ashley runs the club like he does his business, maximum revenue generation. Obviously i good role to follow, but i think Ashley goes a bit over the top with it, newcastle are flying high at the moment but cannot see it happening long term unless some of their revenue finally gets spent.

Unless Norwich move grounds, they will always play at Carrow Road, unless they rename the road of course !! Saying that, some of it has been butchered and become err, Dortmund Way is it? Err, Frankfurt, no. Hmm, Cologne Close? No, Google Maps... Ah yes, Koblenz Avenue.