Sign in to follow this  
aka_riise

Investment from America?

[quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="kdncfc"]

[quote user="Houston Canary"]I have not read the story, but am in full agreement with NYC. I''d much rather have an owner from the Norwich area with real interest in and ties to the team, not someone solely looking for a source or revenue or advertising because that usually doesn''t work out. It''s gotta be something they don''t care to get rich from for the best chance of sustained success.[/quote]

I think you''d be waiting a long time for someone from the Norwich area to come in, there isn''t many people wealthy enough around here to afford to buy the club. We can''t go on as we are and if it''s a choice of a yank coming in or the club risking administration I say bring on the yanks. As long as the board do their homework and are happy that the new owners have the best intentions I don''t see we have much choice. At least there is interest in us which is a good sign.

[/quote]The fact that Phillips said in describing the board''s "seven year plan" that we were aiming to get out of  League 1 in two years or less suggests that administration is unlikely, even if we don''t go up this year.For those that haven''t read what he said:
Our long-term aim is to be a team which plays

continually in the Premiership and we are giving ourselves seven years

to achieve this. The seven years breaks down into two years to get out

of our current league (maximum, although we might not need it all!),

three years to get out of the Championship, a year to perhaps bounce in

and out of the Premiership, before being a stable team consistently

playing in what we consider to be our rightful league.
[/quote]

There was that lifelong NCFC fan who owns an insurance company that was looking into investing a couple of summers ago. That seemed like a perfect fit.

We definitely will require investment to compete in the Championship(if promoted), let alone the Prem and I feel more confident than I have for many years that in our Chairman and Chief Executive we have people who will identify the best deal to move the club forward.

[quote user="Houston Canary"][quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="kdncfc"]

[quote user="Houston Canary"]I have not read the story, but am in full agreement with NYC. I''d much rather have an owner from the Norwich area with real interest in and ties to the team, not someone solely looking for a source or revenue or advertising because that usually doesn''t work out. It''s gotta be something they don''t care to get rich from for the best chance of sustained success.[/quote]

I think you''d be waiting a long time for someone from the Norwich area to come in, there isn''t many people wealthy enough around here to afford to buy the club. We can''t go on as we are and if it''s a choice of a yank coming in or the club risking administration I say bring on the yanks. As long as the board do their homework and are happy that the new owners have the best intentions I don''t see we have much choice. At least there is interest in us which is a good sign.

[/quote]

The fact that Phillips said in describing the board''s "seven year plan" that we were aiming to get out of  League 1 in two years or less suggests that administration is unlikely, even if we don''t go up this year.

For those that haven''t read what he said:

Our long-term aim is to be a team which plays continually in the Premiership and we are giving ourselves seven years to achieve this. The seven years breaks down into two years to get out of our current league (maximum, although we might not need it all!), three years to get out of the Championship, a year to perhaps bounce in and out of the Premiership, before being a stable team consistently playing in what we consider to be our rightful league.

[/quote] There was that lifelong NCFC fan who owns an insurance company that was looking into investing a couple of summers ago. That seemed like a perfect fit.[/quote]

And there were plenty of people questioning whether he was the right person to take over at the time if I remember rightly. At the end of the day we need money to compete at the top of the championship and if it is a lifelong fan who lives in the leafy suburbs of Norwich then so be it but if it''s a foreigner with big plans for the club then bring it on.  

Do we really want one coming over here with loads of dollars, bribeing Delia with nylons and making her pregnant before being drafted back?

Much prefer that nice chap from Malasia.

[quote user="The Butler"]

Do we really want one coming over here with loads of dollars, bribeing Delia with nylons and making her pregnant before being drafted back?

[/quote]Begars cant be choosers ....but if they can , i think I''d prefer Deals with about 50 million more. Please?[:P]

Interesting development, would the ''Delia out'' mob prefer American ownership to the Stowmarket two? I would be interested to see who, if anyone comes forward. I would assume a non-Norwich supporting investor would only settle for a complete buyout, so no chance of the local investors retaining a significant interest, could be a risk going forward, we don''t want an American Simon Jordan or Ken Bates.[ap]

[quote user="And Cureton misses again"]Having read the piece it is pure speculation and hyperbole with no facts, trying to sell papers imo.[/quote]A bit harsh, that.  Its got direct quotes from a banker who has had enquiries about investment in our dear club, and confirms that he has been in touch with McNally who has referred him to Deloittes.  The article includes general comments on American investors, making a case for and against them, and the information is there for all to see.  In the past, Archant have been guilty of taking speculation from here or the tabloids and trying to turn it into a story without any facts.  This time, Bailey has gone out, done his homework and come up with something fresh and interesting.Good article, but we''ll wait and see what happens.  As has been said already, if its a Randy Lerner, then yes please! If its a Glazer or a Gillett/Hicks.... no thanks, Yanks!

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="And Cureton misses again"]Having read the piece it is pure speculation and hyperbole with no facts, trying to sell papers imo.[/quote]
A bit harsh, that.  Its got direct quotes from a banker who has had enquiries about investment in our dear club, and confirms that he has been in touch with McNally who has referred him to Deloittes.  The article includes general comments on American investors, making a case for and against them, and the information is there for all to see. 

In the past, Archant have been guilty of taking speculation from here or the tabloids and trying to turn it into a story without any facts.  This time, Bailey has gone out, done his homework and come up with something fresh and interesting.

Good article, but we''ll wait and see what happens.  As has been said already, if its a Randy Lerner, then yes please! If its a Glazer or a Gillett/Hicks.... no thanks, Yanks!
[/quote]

Glad I''m not the only one who thought that was rather a strange thing to post in the circumstances.

[quote user="Houston Canary"][quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="kdncfc"]

[/quote]

The fact that Phillips said in describing the board''s "seven year plan" that we were aiming to get out of  League 1 in two years or less suggests that administration is unlikely, even if we don''t go up this year.

For those that haven''t read what he said:

Our long-term aim is to be a team which plays continually in the Premiership and we are giving ourselves seven years to achieve this. The seven years breaks down into two years to get out of our current league (maximum, although we might not need it all!), three years to get out of the Championship, a year to perhaps bounce in and out of the Premiership, before being a stable team consistently playing in what we consider to be our rightful league.

[/quote] There was that lifelong NCFC fan who owns an insurance company that was looking into investing a couple of summers ago. That seemed like a perfect fit.[/quote]

Close Houston, he seemed like a perfect tit.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]I don''t understand the binners being made as a poor example of investment. The one and only thing that Evans has done wrong is appoint the wrong Manager. Just imagine if they had a certain Mr Lambert!!! Then you would see a bit of cashed splash I can assure you. I also do not understand this almost permanent parochial stance we seem to take whenever there is a chance of possible investment. Of course we have to be careful and that is what Bowkett and McNasty are doing but please please cut some slack here folks!![/quote]

Marcus evans hasn''t invested a penny in Ipswich.. he simply bought the debt.. Ipswich repay it at the rate of interest he set. Im guessing control of the club was part of the package.. but in willing to bet they pay him a lot more than they would pay the bank.

he has them by the swingers.. no ground to sell, no one will want to buy the debt off him, ergo buying him out, no big name player to cash in on like a Dyer etc.... in short they are fubarred.

[quote user="Kent Canary"]Interesting development, would the ''Delia out'' mob prefer American ownership to the Stowmarket two?

I would be interested to see who, if anyone comes forward. I would assume a non-Norwich supporting investor would only settle for a complete buyout, so no chance of the local investors retaining a significant interest, could be a risk going forward, we don''t want an American Simon Jordan or Ken Bates.[ap]
[/quote]

Delia Out ''Mob''..... Sez you.....You''re just a kent.

[quote user="The gut"][quote user="Houston Canary"]

There was that lifelong NCFC fan who owns an insurance company that was looking into investing a couple of summers ago. That seemed like a perfect fit.[/quote]

he seemed like a perfect tit.

[/quote]

If you are posting about PC., could you please explain why you think he''s a .........

Tangible Fixed Assets anyone? wrote the following post at 18/02/2010 10:17 PM:

The gut wrote:

Houston Canary wrote:

There was that lifelong NCFC fan who owns an insurance company that was looking into investing a couple of summers ago. That seemed like a perfect fit.

If you are posting about PC., could you please explain why you think he''s a .........

I can never "Quote" you Tangy.

If he was a real Norwich fan and has the wealth he is reported to have he would be putting money in one way or another and he would be at every game. If I had the money like him to do whatever I want I would be home and away from wherever I was and at the very least I''d be offering to buy them players, wouldn''t any true fan? What a tit (just for not watching his so called team, I don''t care about the money).

[quote user="The gut"]

The gut wrote:

Houston Canary wrote:

If he was a real Norwich fan and has the wealth he is reported to have he would be putting money in one way or another and he would be at every game. If I had the money like him to do whatever I want I would be home and away from wherever I was and at the very least I''d be offering to buy them players, wouldn''t any true fan? What a tit (just for not watching his so called team, I don''t care about the money).

[/quote]To quote him, edit out the "?" in his name, its punctuation in user names that gives teh problem.

As long as it isn''t Houston Canary cause the Doc will be out!!

No seriously, we need investment in order to fulfill our great potential which isn''t going to happen with Smith and Wynn Jones although I agree with Delias stance on not selling to any Tom Dick or Harry!

As long as the clubs heritage and ethics were maintained then I don''t think its essential that someone owning the club wasn''t a lifelong Barclay end Lower tier season ticket holder with the Kevin Keelan Legends Tshirt from the club shop and didn''t know the game in which Dean Coney scored his only goal for the club of his backside!

Reading some of these posts fills me with dismay. It is incredibly important that as fans, we make sure we are properly informed about what ''investment'' means for our club when and if it comes. If Pompey fans knew what was coming for them, they would never have allowed it. Their owners brought in hedge funds operators, disinterested businessmen and all sorts to plug the gaping holes in their balance sheet and they were only interested in draining the club of yet more resources.

First of all, people need to understand the difference between ''investors'' and playboys and thrillseekers. Someone cited Chelsea as a good example of the right sort of investment. Abramovich has never ''invested'' in Chelsea. Investments, by definition, make a return. Far from making a return Abramovich has lost millions on that club. The same goes for the Man City owners in the short time of their ownership and that will continue to be the case. That is not investment. If we can find that, great, but reality is more likely to be genuine ''investment'', of the kind that is looking for a financial payday, and for that reason i''m sceptical that any kind of investment like this is going to be in the long term interests of the club. Whatever happens, we need to be able to scrutinise any such investment in the finest possible detail.

Incidentally, the Glazers, did ''invest'' in Man Utd, as a money making venture for themselves. I''m amazed that Jas cites them as a success story - surely he knows better than that. Man Utds achievements since the Glazers took over have been in spite of, not because of them. It has been down to Ferguson and an extremely strong squad. Someone else referred to Man Utd making big profits. Well that''s not true anymore. They only made a profit last year because of the Ronaldo sale, which was a one off of the like we will never see again in our lifetimes. Otherwise, the once wealthiest, and the most famous and most supported club in the world would have made a loss. That is down to the Glazers. They have saddled the club with a half BILLION pound debt in order to gain control of it for themselves and milk it for themselves. Why do you think Old Trafford is decked out in yellow and green for every home game now. The supporters have seen what''s happening and they are making their views clear.

I know less about the Lerner position which certainly appears better, but i do know he is something of a philanthropist himself (last season they gave up a regular commercial shirt sponsor in favour of a local children''s hospice). Someone has said he was a fan too so i''m sceptical that he''s an proper example of a successful football ''investment'' of the personal profit making variety in the way of the Glazers and those involved in Pompey.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]If its anything like the Glaziers then they can stuff it![/quote]

Our need for Glaziers should be much reduced now Jamie Lad has left Carrow Road [;)]

Sadly I must support Bury Yellow. Marcus Evans has indeed "invested in the club" I think if you add up the spending and wages on the group of elderly Ex Sunderland players it approaches every bit as much as Delia has put in. It is true that he has bought the debt, but anyone buying control of a modern football club will buy debt. Yes he can charge what he likes, but why would he knacker his own club by charging unreasonable interest?

No one is enjoying seeing Young Roy c*ck up so spectacularly more than me, but to say that Evans is simply rooking the club isn''t, I''m afraid, true.

[quote user="The Huckerby Delusion"]This is a Local club, for Local People, there''s nothing for you here![/quote]Like it! Nice one Tubbs.

[quote user="promotion chasing CT "][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

Begars cant be choosers ....

but if they can , i think I''d prefer Deals with about 50 million more. Please?[:P]
[/quote]

Yes I had visions of seeing our club badge sitting proud on the tailplane of the Lotus as it raced around the F1 track, oh well never mind perhaps we will get the cowboys in

As mentioned in the Pink Un'' article this American chap is also the same bloke who put Tranmere Rovers on e-bay as ''publicity stunt''. If that''s his style I think I''d prefer more Delia''s halftime publicity stunts than being put on sale for a quid alongside secondhand clothes and over priced gig tickets. 

[quote user="a1canary"]Reading some of these posts fills me with dismay. It is incredibly important that as fans, we make sure we are properly informed about what ''investment'' means for our club when and if it comes. If Pompey fans knew what was coming for them, they would never have allowed it. Their owners brought in hedge funds operators, disinterested businessmen and all sorts to plug the gaping holes in their balance sheet and they were only interested in draining the club of yet more resources. First of all, people need to understand the difference between ''investors'' and playboys and thrillseekers. Someone cited Chelsea as a good example of the right sort of investment. Abramovich has never ''invested'' in Chelsea. Investments, by definition, make a return. Far from making a return Abramovich has lost millions on that club. The same goes for the Man City owners in the short time of their ownership and that will continue to be the case. That is not investment. If we can find that, great, but reality is more likely to be genuine ''investment'', of the kind that is looking for a financial payday, and for that reason i''m sceptical that any kind of investment like this is going to be in the long term interests of the club. Whatever happens, we need to be able to scrutinise any such investment in the finest possible detail. Incidentally, the Glazers, did ''invest'' in Man Utd, as a money making venture for themselves. I''m amazed that Jas cites them as a success story - surely he knows better than that. Man Utds achievements since the Glazers took over have been in spite of, not because of them. It has been down to Ferguson and an extremely strong squad. Someone else referred to Man Utd making big profits. Well that''s not true anymore. They only made a profit last year because of the Ronaldo sale, which was a one off of the like we will never see again in our lifetimes. Otherwise, the once wealthiest, and the most famous and most supported club in the world would have made a loss. That is down to the Glazers. They have saddled the club with a half BILLION pound debt in order to gain control of it for themselves and milk it for themselves. Why do you think Old Trafford is decked out in yellow and green for every home game now. The supporters have seen what''s happening and they are making their views clear. I know less about the Lerner position which certainly appears better, but i do know he is something of a philanthropist himself (last season they gave up a regular commercial shirt sponsor in favour of a local children''s hospice). Someone has said he was a fan too so i''m sceptical that he''s an proper example of a successful football ''investment'' of the personal profit making variety in the way of the Glazers and those involved in Pompey.[/quote]

I agree with everything you say A1 save your first paragraph.   Football fans are consumers and the only control we exert on clubs is to withdraw that consumption- something most of us are very loath to do.

Portsmouth fans could not have stopped what happened even if warned any more than Man U fans or Cadburys'' employees.  It is naive to suggest that we are anything more than spectators in this process.  

The giveaway comment is : Why do you think Old Trafford is decked out in yellow and green for every home game now. The supporters have seen what''s happening and they are making their views clear.  They make their opposition clear but they still go to matches.   How are their protests affecting the Club?  Not at all.  They only way would be not to attend and most fans will not do that.  

that is the ultimate tipping point.  Our loyalty makes us a captive audience.

I appreciate where you''re coming from Cambridge, and the point that fans are sometimes powerless e.g. Glazer take over.

But i don''t entirely agree Cambridge.

The weight of fan opinion influences clubs more than people realise. For a start, fans get managers sacked. Worthington and more recently Megson are good examples. Keane is another in so far as they have invested a fortune, are in a relegation fight, yet according to a press poll 60% of fans want him to stay. If he was Magilton, or someone else, he would have been long gone by now. Magilton wasn''t doing this badly when he got the heave ho.

The reasons clubs are in so much financial trouble is because they''ve bowed to fan pressure to achieve europe, top 6, promotion etc and have overstretched themselves.

[quote user="a1canary"]I appreciate where you''re coming from Cambridge, and the point that fans are sometimes powerless e.g. Glazer take over. But i don''t entirely agree Cambridge. The weight of fan opinion influences clubs more than people realise. For a start, fans get managers sacked. Worthington and more recently Megson are good examples. Keane is another in so far as they have invested a fortune, are in a relegation fight, yet according to a press poll 60% of fans want him to stay. If he was Magilton, or someone else, he would have been long gone by now. Magilton wasn''t doing this badly when he got the heave ho. The reasons clubs are in so much financial trouble is because they''ve bowed to fan pressure to achieve europe, top 6, promotion etc and have overstretched themselves.[/quote]

I agree A1.  But has there been a case when a sale has been prevented?  possibly but very rarely.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="The gut"]

The gut wrote:

Houston Canary wrote:

[/quote]

To quote him, edit out the "?" in his name, its punctuation in user names that gives teh problem.
[/quote]

thanks morty