Sign in to follow this  
AJ

The Butterfly Effect

Just a thought, but if you could go back in time and change ONE thing from the past few years or so to help our cause now. What would you change?Why would it help us now, what would be different?

For me it was the timing of Worthingtons exit, we held on for too long and then got in a completely inexperienced manager who, has rightly so, gone back to being an assistant! I know it paid of when you installed Worthington, but it was never going to work out for Grant. The boards mistake at installing him as a cheap option wasn''t a good move. We needed a fresh start with someone who had new ideas and plans, Grant wasn''t this person.I feel we wouldn''t be in such a mess as we are now, as Grant spent a lot of our money - how he was allowed to do so beats me! I don''t think we would be doing so badly to this extreme, I feel we would be respectively mid-table and rebuilding our squad (as opposed to loaning everyone else''s.)

We  should  have  got  a  half  decent  experienced  manager  instead  of  Grant. The  warning  signals  were  there  at  the  time  but  from  that  point  onwards  we  have  headed  downwards  at  a  pace

Without doubt It must be Dean Ashtons signature at the start of the Prem campaign!!! we were religated the night we played Man City! Tears were in my eyes on the drive home, not recovered since.

[quote user="AJ"]Just a thought, but if you could go back in time and change ONE thing from the past few years or so to help our cause now. What would you change?Why would it help us now, what would be different?

For me it was the timing of Worthingtons exit, we held on for too long and then got in a completely inexperienced manager who, has rightly so, gone back to being an assistant! I know it paid of when you installed Worthington, but it was never going to work out for Grant. The boards mistake at installing him as a cheap option wasn''t a good move. We needed a fresh start with someone who had new ideas and plans, Grant wasn''t this person.I feel we wouldn''t be in such a mess as we are now, as Grant spent a lot of our money - how he was allowed to do so beats me! I don''t think we would be doing so badly to this extreme, I feel we would be respectively mid-table and rebuilding our squad (as opposed to loaning everyone else''s.)[/quote]Changing something from the past, is completely different from the butterfly effect. If I''d change one thing it''d probably be sack Worthington a year earlier or something

Letting Malky go and replacing him with a midget (Simon Charlton)...Failing to buy a striker in the summer before our Prem season began...Those Andy Hughes and Carl Robinson central midfield pairings...That''s just off the top of my head... I''m afraid our demise is the culmination of many grave and serious errors of judgement from more than one party, not one single error or person...

Our pathetic, overly-cautious board should be condemned forever for choosing not to put in some serious money to help with our Premiership season. Disregarding any weaknesses Worthy may have had as a manager, I think he had a reasonable eye for talented footballers. I feel if he''d been given a decent amount of transfer funds we may well have stayed in the Premiership.

The boards penny-pinching approach will most probably have the worst possible outcome at the end of this season: relegation to the third tier of English football for the 1st time in 50 years. Well done Doomcaster et al!

[quote user="VAUX"]Without doubt It must be Dean Ashtons signature at the start of the Prem campaign!!! we were religated the night we played Man City! Tears were in my eyes on the drive home, not recovered since.[/quote]

If we had signed Deano at the start of the season, he would''nt have been the same player we saw the second half of the season, IMO. The confidence he gained from banging in the goals at Crewe would have made a huge difference.

Anyway, for me it would have to be the day we got hammered by Fulham. Go back to that, we get the penalty we should have had at 0-0 and its a totally different game.

[quote user="AJ"]Just a thought, but if you could go back in time and change ONE thing from the past few years or so to help our cause now. What would you change?
Why would it help us now, what would be different?

For me it was the timing of Worthingtons exit, we held on for too long and then got in a completely inexperienced manager who, has rightly so, gone back to being an assistant! I know it paid of when you installed Worthington, but it was never going to work out for Grant. The boards mistake at installing him as a cheap option wasn''t a good move. We needed a fresh start with someone who had new ideas and plans, Grant wasn''t this person.

I feel we wouldn''t be in such a mess as we are now, as Grant spent a lot of our money - how he was allowed to do so beats me! I don''t think we would be doing so badly to this extreme, I feel we would be respectively mid-table and rebuilding our squad (as opposed to loaning everyone else''s.)
[/quote]invested more heavily when we got in the prem+sign ashton at the start of that season not half way through

not emply grant or roedant

go back to when Mr Cullum offered the £5 million to spend on players, to be followed by a further £15 million, and bite his hand off for it. Good call Delia.

The decisions made by Worthington as to how to bolster the squad pre-Premiership. £1m on Matty Jonsson, Simon Charlton to replace Malky and not signing a proven target man to replace Iwan, whether it be Crouch, Ashton or whomever. That was when we lost our forward momentum and we have never regained it. 

Signing Dean Coney in 1989, With any other half-decent striker, we could have won the league that year , not to mention going to the Cup final.Greatness was within our grasp but we imploded on the final furlong.Most of that season we were the greatest show in town .Now tell me, if that is a fact am i lying?

For me it was the board meeting that decided that we would play the "L''il Old Norwich" Card and budget to go straight back down from the Premiership.

What would I change? I''d have had two budgets - a public one that said - "We are going to go for it" and a private one that said - "If it doesn''t work we can survive on this one". From the point that Doncaster announced that we were budgeting to go down - we were down. Interestingly he hasn''t made the same statement this year - why not I wonder, after all what''s different. Relegation is relegation whatever division we are in at the time.

What would be different? We may just have secured the extra three points we needed to survive with a team and club that felt they were expected to stay in the Premiership.

Another defining moment, more recently, was  Delia and her "after a good lunch" loose tongue at the Norfolk Show when she raised expectations to a completely unjustified level.

[quote user="AJ"]Just a thought, but if you could go back in time and change ONE thing from the past few years or so to help our cause now. What would you change?
Why would it help us now, what would be different?

For me it was the timing of Worthingtons exit, we held on for too long and then got in a completely inexperienced manager who, has rightly so, gone back to being an assistant! I know it paid of when you installed Worthington, but it was never going to work out for Grant. The boards mistake at installing him as a cheap option wasn''t a good move. We needed a fresh start with someone who had new ideas and plans, Grant wasn''t this person.

I feel we wouldn''t be in such a mess as we are now, as Grant spent a lot of our money - how he was allowed to do so beats me! I don''t think we would be doing so badly to this extreme, I feel we would be respectively mid-table and rebuilding our squad (as opposed to loaning everyone else''s.)
[/quote]

Chase''s failure to support Martin O''Niel when he wanted to buy Dean Windass.

It''s been all downhill since that decision.

[quote user="SNAP"]

For me it was the board meeting that decided that we would play the "L''il Old Norwich" Card and budget to go straight back down from the Premiership.

What would I change? I''d have had two budgets - a public one that said - "We are going to go for it" and a private one that said - "If it doesn''t work we can survive on this one". From the point that Doncaster announced that we were budgeting to go down - we were down. Interestingly he hasn''t made the same statement this year - why not I wonder, after all what''s different. Relegation is relegation whatever division we are in at the time.

What would be different? We may just have secured the extra three points we needed to survive with a team and club that felt they were expected to stay in the Premiership.

Another defining moment, more recently, was  Delia and her "after a good lunch" loose tongue at the Norfolk Show when she raised expectations to a completely unjustified level.

[/quote]

Don''t agree. We should have gone with what we had for the Prem season rather than break up what had been the best team in the Champs. Kept Edworthy, Iwan and Malky and banked the Sky cash we wasted on the Swede, the Dane and Charlton. Then when we got relegated we would still have a team and still have the cash. I bet we would have bounced straight back

[quote user="SNAP"]

[/quote]

Don''t agree. We should have gone with what we had for the Prem season rather than break up what had been the best team in the Champs. Kept Edworthy, Iwan and Malky and banked the Sky cash we wasted on the Swede, the Dane and Charlton. Then when we got relegated we would still have a team and still have the cash. I bet we would have bounced straight back

[quote user="BigFish"][quote user="SNAP"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Certainly another option - sadly our board fell beween two stools. Worthington didn''t have a Premiership shopping list ready and ended up with the ones no one else wanted - but we could afford.

[quote user="Potless Percy "]

Martin O''Neill''s departure in December 1995. 

[/quote]

Good call,definitely the start of our long term demise. If i could change that i would!

Bryan Gunn getting injured in the season we went down with Marshall hapless in goal. The following year was when big bucks arrived and up till then we had been a genuine mid table top flight team...it has been downhill since then- save a blip of promotion and many foolish decisions since. The greatest three of which were

1) Huge turnaround in players

2) Appointment of Grant

3) Continued down grading of players to the current squad. (we are not bottom 3 cos of bad luck. We just have a rubbish side worth peanuts)

[quote user="We Want Lappin Back"]

[quote user="VAUX"]Without doubt It must be Dean Ashtons signature at the start of the Prem campaign!!! we were religated the night we played Man City! Tears were in my eyes on the drive home, not recovered since.[/quote]

If we had signed Deano at the start of the season, he would''nt have been the same player we saw the second half of the season, IMO. The confidence he gained from banging in the goals at Crewe would have made a huge difference.

Anyway, for me it would have to be the day we got hammered by Fulham. Go back to that, we get the penalty we should have had at 0-0 and its a totally different game.

[/quote]

slightly agree, however had the board of pushed the boat out for Peter Crouch in the summer instead of letting him join Southampton.... then things might of been different

jas :)