Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Is Roeder City's most unpopular manager?

[quote user="Lrrr"]Harsh on Grant- I liked him. Terrible appointment, useless manager and out of his depth- but he was an alright bloke.[/quote]Lrrr is right.Grant was awful, but for the man he was, not unpopular.I think for Roeder''s poor record and vile character he must be most unpopular.

The players didn''t like him (Grant). They quit on him early, it just took the board too long to figure that out. What was it, 7 games without a goal? 

I think the players from our opposition like Roeder though, given how many times they score for us!  [:D]

[quote user="earnsless"]Roeder by a country mile. I liked Grant a lot, a great, decent man, hope he makes it one day.[/quote]

No way! Hamilton.......Ipsh*t connections and most useless tool ever. Another Delia appointment....

Yes it''s Roeder for me, by some distance not just unpopular but despicable, arrogant and useless all at the same time, now that takes some beating!

Having been a supporter through the reigns of Deehan, Megson, Hamliton, Grant and Roeder - for me it would have to be Roeder.

How is Worthington on that list? Not popular at the end but we had 2.5 good years out of him.

Hamilton without a shadow of a doubt. He made Grant and Roder''s teams look useful! [:)]

Roeder, though Hamilton pushes him close for being tactically inept and saddling us with the bunch of misfits we had the misfortune to watch for a long, long, long period. Well it seemed a long time, but I can''t remember him being so totally obnoxious as Roeder and deliberately having a go at the supporters. I wasn''t keen on Megson''s appointment, but his hands were tied with Chase in charge.

So it has to be Roeder and that''s starting with Saunders as the first manager I remember.

Very harsh on Worthy, his time was simply up... most clueless has to the Hamilton - at least Roeder can claim to have brought in some decent players, even if they didn''t want to perform for him! Hammy just brought in a load of useless foreign imports, as well we know... On the other hand, Granty was far more likeable than either Roeder or Hammy but had possibly even less of an eye for a player than the latter!Megson is definitely fair, although John Deehan should probably be up there too....

Roeder for me. Hamilton & Grant were dire but Roeder''s belief he was doing a good job & his arrogance towards the support win him this gold medal as far as I''m concerned. I''m looking forward to hearing what he says about his dismissal...

[quote user="Captain Controversy"]John Deehan surely????!!
[/quote]

Hey - go easy on my hero.  Oh alright, playing hero - he wasn''t much of a manager, but I don''t think he was the worst.  Hamilton has to be in terms of record. 

As many have pointed out already Roeder''s reign was very much a game of two halves.  His honeymoon period saved us from relegation last year, but then he began to believe his own hype despite results, became a desperate, arrogant so and so, and the rest, like his management career is history!

[/quote]

Very Harsh.

He had the rug pulled out from under him.

They sold Ruel Fox in Jan 94, Sutton in Summer 94, Robins & Ekoku in Autumn 94. And all he got back up front was Sheron & Ward.

If I remember correctly we were about 6th or 7th until Gunny broke his leg. 

[/quote]

John Deehan was a funny one.  He was a great coach but never seemed suited to management and bar a brief successful spell at Wigan, never really settled in the hot seat anywhere else (although he''s still been coaching lots).  Dixie looked uncomfortable in the spotlight and even had a dig at the fans after one match.

His record was pretty poor, but the circumstances at the club were extreme at the time.  It was the first time in years that an appointment ''from within'' didn''t work, and it found Robert Chase out.  Stringer and Walker worked miracles despite selling players - Deehan couldn''t and we paid the price.

Wouldn''t say he''s the most unpopular manager though, despite all that.

How many managers must there be before you start blaming the team. They are the ones on the pitch with the lack of conviction and ability.

To say that its good to aviod relegation every year. is just another of the many excuses over the past three seasons that show how lemming like the fans are, to go along with on going farce, and they seem quite happy to throw away their money watching total rubbish. A fool and their money are soon parted as they say. 

Flirting with going down each season is only a matter of time. The club is in financial chaos and can`t afford to buy success with players with proven ability, so going nowhere like the past three seasons is the best to be hoped for.

The strange thing is that Norwich has a good fan base that is not deserved, with the diabolical past three years results no matter who has been in charge. Remember its the players on the pitch that should get the real flack ...big time. If they can`t play good enough get rid on them for some who can play football to a standard that is excepted.

Poor ability players achieve poor results.

Harsh on Worthy!Did a very, very good job here. And people seem to miss the praise he deserves for how far he took us.Grant was an inexperiences mistake.Roeder was an arrogant twunt who got what was coming to him!

Good list on unpopularity by the end of their reign.

As others have said some of them were only unpopular for a short while before they left compared to how long they were here, but you cannot argue on those names.

The only thing is that it is quite recent, but then that probably reflects the modern culture of blame and media generated hysteria.

But yes Roeder will probably stay at the top of that list for years to come as the man had the charm of a fascist dictator.