Sign in to follow this  
the pigman

just one player

just one player from the past who played for city can play in the team now,who would you pick,no not john hartson anyone else though.

I think pretty much everyone will say Darren Huckerby.Tbh, I wouldn''t mind out of any from; Huckerby, Dean Ashton (if we could keep him fit), or even Matty Svensson.

Iwan Roberts... during the dark days under Hamilton and Rioch the team was nothing short of appalling. you knew that Iwan was the one class player we had and his goals single handedly kept us up.. he won us games out of nothing... we dont have anyone who can do that now.

in the 1998/99 season we scored 43 goals, Iwan got 20 of them... we''d of been royally screwed without him.

jas :)

He probably won''t feature on many peoples ''top ten City players'' lists but the one player we miss more than most right now from our promotion winning team is Damien Francis. So I''d have him................and Chris Sutton [;)]

Duncan Forbes...he wouldn''t allow the lazy crap we have today let the club down. Best captain this club will ever have.

[quote user="Neil Cluckcaster"]Duncan Forbes...he wouldn''t allow the lazy crap we have today let the club down.[/quote]Gary Holt for the same reason.

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="Neil Cluckcaster"]Duncan Forbes...he wouldn''t allow the lazy crap we have today let the club down.[/quote]Gary Holt for the same reason.[/quote]

Well fuck me.... there sums up the depth of knowledge at Carrow road

That gets post of the year raspberry for me......

Holt Jeeeezus

Those saying Hucks are totally deluded! A good player, yes, but not the greatest by any means. Martin Peters for example, was a far more rounded player and had so many more aspects to his game - so I say him!

[quote user="DubaiLes"]# Kenny, Kenny foggo, Kenny Foggo on the wing. #[/quote]

Has to be Hucks. No doubt about it, at his peak you wouldn''t get a better player than him in our league.

I know someone who says that Dave Nugent is the best player he''s seen at this level in many years. That is rubbish. Decent player but not even close to being as good as Hucks.

[quote user="We Want Worthy Back"]Those saying Hucks are totally deluded! A good player, yes, but not the greatest by any means. Martin Peters for example, was a far more rounded player and had so many more aspects to his game - so I say him![/quote]

But you''ll find people from teenagers (maybe even younger than that) right through to pensioners who say Huckerby is the best player they''ve seen play for Norwich.

To say people are "deluded" for suggesting Hucks seems a bit wide of the mark to me.

Hucks was a great player, and one i''ve loved watching, but to say he is the greatest is the comment which is wide of the mark! Great going forward but never contributed defensively - I wonder how many goals we could have saved over recent years with a left sided midfielder who supported the full back! Hucks never really did anything in the premiership, and was deemed never good enough to play for his country (bar one appearance for England B). To say he is better than Martin Peters, a world cup winner, is just wrong IMO.

[quote user="We Want Worthy Back"]Hucks was a great player, and one i''ve loved watching, but to say he is the greatest is the comment which is wide of the mark! [/quote]

I''ve had a few beers tonight but where did anyone on this thread label him "the greatest"?

:-)

As an outsider looking in would it be wrong of me to suggest Ian Crook?? Huckerby was a great player but in his day Crook was as good on the ball as any quality midfielder nowadays.

definitely old chippy.....closest thing in england at the moment i guess would be Alonso at liverpool....absolute quality reading of the game, superb technique and undervalued due to the hype surrounding the all running all puffing Gerrard. I cant imagine how much poorer liverpool would be minus alonso.....Barry isnt fit to lace his boots.However in our current predicament i dont think Crook would help us as we have such a lack intelligent runners for him to play in. Its no point having a playmaker if he has no one to pass to is it now?!Sutton obviously would be very useful. Eadie out on the left at his prime would destroy this league (yes hucks was here a long time etc etc and was quality but TBH eadie was better in his prime....hence being in full england squads....something im pretty sure hucks never managed). Bellars would also be useful.But to be honest im going to have to plug for damien francis/goss. We just need a driving,goal scoring force in our midfield....how i wish we could have snapped up someone like Howard from barnsley.  Russelll try as he might was not good enough the first time and if were going to be honest is not good enough now.  For a mid to lower table team russell does a job. if we want to challenge the top 6 we need a lot more quality in the centre of our midfield. It seems Clingan can play the Holt style holding role.....thing is Russell can neither play a la Mulryne and link us up, or a la Francis and chip in with enough goals/forward momentum. A goal scoring centreal midfielder......take uir pick of city''s Ex players but thats what we need.

[quote user="We Want Worthy Back"]Hucks was a great player, and one i''ve loved watching, but to say he is the greatest is the comment which is wide of the mark! Great going forward but never contributed defensively - I wonder how many goals we could have saved over recent years with a left sided midfielder who supported the full back! Hucks never really did anything in the premiership, and was deemed never good enough to play for his country (bar one appearance for England B). To say he is better than Martin Peters, a world cup winner, is just wrong IMO.[/quote]For god''s sake We Want Worthy Back, you really need to get over this. Everyone loves Hucks, no matter how often you piss on everyone''s bonfire, we''re still going to be talking about him for years to come because he was great. This thread was meant to be about players who we miss, something to clear the doom and gloom for a few minutes, and you''ve turned it into an ugly tirade against undesputably our best player of the last decade.

Robert Fleck for me............goals from nothing and, importantly, would bring a smile and life to the dressing room.

Mark .Y.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

... during the dark days under Hamilton and Rioch the team was nothing short of appalling. [/quote]

Hamilton I''ll give you but weren''t we actually 6th when Rioch finally had enough?                                                             

Martin O''Neill....his influence on the pitch was bigger than any other player i have seen. A driving, enthusiastic leader would make a huge difference to the team at the moment.

I think Hucks get so many votes simply because he has been our best player by a mile in the last ten years though i would say Greeno, Gary Holt and Iwan at their peaks run him close.