Sign in to follow this  
Paul Spector

Promotion side versus current side

If you compare our promotion winning side to the current one....

Rob Green - David Marshall

Adam Drury - Ryan Bertrand/Adam Drury

Malky Mackay - Dejan Stefanovic

Craig Fleming - John Kennedy

Marc Edworthy - John Otsemobor/Elliot Omozusi

Mark Rivers - Lee Croft

Gary Holt - Sammy Clingan

Phil Mulryne - Darel Russell

Darren Huckerby - Wes Hoolahan

Matt Svensson - Antoine Sibierski

Leon McKenzie - Arturo Lupoli

Our current team (on paper) is good. Unfortunatly football isn''t played on paper however, as I would say the current XI are far better footballers than the XI that won us this division. What this shows, to me, is how the league has become far stronger in the last 5 years or so since we won it.

Think your forgetting that along with Mckenzie and Svensson we had Iwan and Peter Crouch (on loan for a couple of months ) to bolster the strike force compare that to Lupoli , Sibierski , Cureton , Etc and its no comparison for me...

if you match them player to player at current and the promotion side back in that season only croft and russell i would pick over the promotion players in their positions

The main difference for me was that it was a team built on a solid base, where there was an england prospect goalkeeper who had been ever present for nearly 3 years, malky and Fleming had years to get used to each others games, edworthy was just very solid and Drury was ontop of his game, this very reliable back four was then protected by Gary Holt who was the hardest working player we probably have ever seen at Norwich. We didnt always play great football but in some of the games, other teams just couldnt work out a way to hurt us. Ontop of this defensive rock we then went out and got some great attacking players, in a class way above what we have now. It''s a shame but i guess things have just changed to a massive financial degree for us and football in general over even this short period of time.

I think you may also find that a inform Paul McVeigh played more than Mark Rivers, and Damian Francis played instead of Phil Mulryne on most occasions.

we have 11 individuals now.. not a team.... thats the problem... the players play for themselves and not each other i think.

jas :)

kennedy played a bigger part than rivers in our promotion run.  and its going forward that the old team has far more quality...

And as jas rightly points out team work is key - as was confidence.

[quote user="We Want Worthy Back"]

If you compare our promotion winning side to the current one....

Rob Green - David Marshall

Adam Drury - Ryan Bertrand/Adam Drury

Malky Mackay - Dejan Stefanovic

Craig Fleming - John Kennedy

Marc Edworthy - John Otsemobor/Elliot Omozusi

Mark Rivers - Lee Croft

Gary Holt - Sammy Clingan

Phil Mulryne - Darel Russell

Darren Huckerby - Wes Hoolahan

Matt Svensson - Antoine Sibierski

Leon McKenzie - Arturo Lupoli

Our current team (on paper) is good. Unfortunatly football isn''t played on paper however, as I would say the current XI are far better footballers than the XI that won us this division. What this shows, to me, is how the league has become far stronger in the last 5 years or so since we won it.

[/quote]

Wasnt Damien Francis a permanent feature in out promotion season? He was our best player in fact.

Most influencial difference - Malky Mackay.

A leader, an organiser, a motivator, a bloody good centre back, a scorer of important goals, an excellent Captain and an unquestionable desire to win.

Has never been replaced and the shame is that we chucked him out after winning promotion and just when we needed him most.

Who knows what might have happened, and where we''d be now, if we hadn''t.

[quote user="Making Plans"]

Most influencial difference - Malky Mackay.

A leader, an organiser, a motivator, a bloody good centre back, a scorer of important goals, an excellent Captain and an unquestionable desire to win.

Has never been replaced and the shame is that we chucked him out after winning promotion and just when we needed him most.

Who knows what might have happened, and where we''d be now, if we hadn''t.

[/quote]

Too right. Worthy deemed him too old for the Prem if I remember right. Who replaced him the following season? Thinking Docs but not sure.

i think the point is that sometimes pride, passion and heart aswell as team work can be more effective qualities that talent. which was obviously the case for our play off and promotion seasons. i think on paper todays team is better, certainly has more succesfull higer league players but there not a team yet.

im extremely unsure roeders managment techniques will be able to produce a team spirit like worthys did. he may have the better contacts and possibly attract better players but worthy installed a belief which meant his squads punched well above there weight. but we must remember how lucky we were with injurys, we were able to name unchanged sides week in week out and obviously roeders been cursed with injurys recently.

but aswell as getting a settled side we have to make carrow road a fortress again. like the red coates building the british empire they had to beat the jackabites (jocks) and make brittain safe and secure before invading france etc. Poor analogy but the point is we are never going to get near the playoffs if we dont win the majority of home games, and this is somthing that needs to be drilled into the players. with the amount of new players at the squad i think that a few training sessions at carrow road and not colney would help them settle better and get used to playing there.

I thought that Craig Fleming made a good point on Radio Norfolk on saturday.  He was talking about the promotion winning side and how made "leaders" they had on the pitch.  Even players like Mulryne, Mckenzie and Svensson were loud characters who helped to inspire the team.

You look around our team now and apart from Russell and Clinghan I don''t see too many players with leadership qualities.  I don''t doubt the ability of the players we have brought in.  I also don''t believe this argument that the loan players don''t care enough about winning- these are professional footballers we are talking about, i''m pretty sure they would want to win every game regardless of who they are playing for.  I just wonder whether, having lost Dion andHucks, whether we have enough big personalities in the squad to drive it forward when things are not going well.

I actually think there may be some truth in this idea of a "Roeder effect".  It seems from the outside that he struggles to deal with players who have big personalities and fills his teams with players who will toe the line.  I just wonder if this means that his teams lack the dynamic that turns a group of talented individuals into a successful unit.  Yes the side looks decent on paper but any fool can fill a team with talented players.  The skill is getting the balance right and matching talent, personalities and playing styles together.  I am still not 100% convinced that Roeder is capable of doing this.

No comparison I''m afraid!

We''re now a mismash of a team and against Derby we looked like a tream in pre season!

We had leaders in the title winning team, a settled line up, the manager knew the best formation, we were more direct, we had central midfielders who could score goals and link up more regularly, we had more luck and avoided to many injuries, had much more unity in the team and everyone knew what they were meant to be doing, had a consistently dangerous winger in Huckerby who could also score goals regularly and had a central defender who could score goals - Malky!

To be accurate you need to say the latest of our several promotion winning sides.

But maybe you think that Norwich City began with the Smiths?

OTBC

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

we have 11 individuals now.. not a team.... thats the problem... the players play for themselves and not each other i think.

jas :)

[/quote]Agree with that.  That was a great team, it had some average players in it but a great team.  The players knitted together well and all had a clearly defined role in the team and squad.  Gary Holt is the perfect example, he knew what he was good at and (more importantly) he knew what he wasn''t good at.  He has been very honest and open in interviews about his football "abilites" BUT he did exactly what Worthington asked of him allowing other players to do what they were good at.  Francis getting forward for example.Seems to me that our current team doesn''t have those defined roles yet, will they ever get them and the team spirit and confidence that comes with it?  Who know..........

hard for a team to get a spirit when most of them don''t belong to the team and know that they wont be around much after Christmas.

I dont think that these mercenaries have the spirit for a relegation fight and will sneek off as soon as they can. sadly it will be a long time before we are involved in a promotion scrap as the current team is miles away from Flem, Malky and co

You really are clueless aren''t you Wewantworthyback???

This side ain''t a patch on the Promotion winning side.

We ain''t got one player who can create or one player who can regularly hit the back of the net.

We were spoilt for choice for strikers the season we went up and had a very solid settled back line.

We also had several leaders in the team.

It is ridulous how some of you lot slate ex players, yet are all so eager to praise the current plop on display at Carrow Road.

Look at the league table my friends... it speaks for itself.

Quote.........kennedy played a bigger part than rivers in our promotion run.  and its going forward that the old team has far more quality..................Wasn''t it Kevin Cooper who was the final piece in the jigsaw that season ? A very good pro who fitted in from the first game and played most of the run in . Jim Brennan was also involved and scored a great goal  in a win at Coventry away where we always normally lose.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Anyone remember that 5-3 win at Burnley!!!! I thought we would lose that game at half time.  No way could we do that now.[:D][/quote]

Yes I was there Slim...

Alongside Gazza who was feeling down in the dumps... but I was feeling Percy Positive that afternoon and told him at half time when we were 3-2 down "don''t worry plenty of goals left in us yet... we will win this game|"

That is the quality and fire power we had that year... to go to places like Burnley away be 3-2 doiwn at half time... with SMUDGE still feeling sure that we would win the match.

How can anybody try and compare the current shambles to that set up???  [8-)]