Sign in to follow this  
pennywise

best hooligan film ?

with all this nostalgic looking back at trashing pubs and putting the boot in  and exagerrated stories of running this firm and that firm  just wondered what everyones favourite hooligan movie is ?  i didn`t mind green street , thought football factory was terrible, haven`t seen cass yet  , the firm was alright. for me the best one has to be  ID  from the mid 90s with reece dinsdale ,warren clarke, and sean pertwee , a classic.

Green street sucks ass, all the lads on the firm were little kids and about a belivably hard as a sloppy turd, and frodo? what was that about? Football factory was much more realistic but still someway off I.D.

Just a quick tip, never go out on the razz after watching any of these films. It usually ends in a trip with the cops to the cells for the night!

I have to say, Hooligan films just don''t interest me at all.  I just end up thinking what''s the point

Bit like most of the Horror genre too, just not enough substance in

there for my liking; every film just brings more of the same, which is

fair enough if you''re into that... I''ve heard The Firm is a good film

in its own right though, and Gary Oldman is always good so I''ll

probably check that one out at some stage... But Frodo nutting

hooligans? Nah thanks....

Hooligan films translate on to screen about as well as football films do.

I''d rather sit in no mans land on a step ladder wearing a luminous balaclava than watch them.

[quote user="ched seven"]

with all this nostalgic looking back at trashing pubs and putting the boot in  and exagerrated stories of running this firm and that firm  just wondered what everyones favourite hooligan movie is ?  i didn`t mind green street , thought football factory was terrible, haven`t seen cass yet  , the firm was alright. for me the best one has to be  ID  from the mid 90s with reece dinsdale ,warren clarke, and sean pertwee , a classic.

[/quote]

most of them are absolute pants I have to say, but there is one exception, in my opinion, and that is - Rise of the Foot Soldier. Only partly about hooliganism, also about the drug related triple murder in Rettendon forest in Essex. If you haven''t seen it, well worth checking out, as is the book "Muscle" by Carlton Leach

The Football Factory is a pretty poor film, but it is part of a trilogy of fantastic books by John King. They cover many facets of "working class culture" and are among the best novels I have ever read. Irvine Welsh but more-believable and with football. Anyhow....

The Football Factory - John King

Headhunters - John King

England Away - John King

Read them all.............

From Wikipedia

Hooliganism

"The term has been used since at least the 1890s, to describe the behaviour of street gangs. The first use of the term is unknown, but it appeared in an 1898 London police report. One theory is that the word came from the name of an Irish hoodlum from Southwark, London named Patrick Hoolihan. There has also been reference made to a 19th century family by that name who lived in rural Ireland, known for their wild lifestyle, resulting in anyone who lived similarly as being referred to as a hooligan. Another theory is that it came from a street gang in Islington named Hooley. Yet another theory is that the term is based on an Irish word, houlie, which means a wild, spirited party".

So on that basis, I have got to say " Gangs of New York",

...until of course the movie of our promotion party 2009 comes out, what with all our connections to the Irish origins of the term, ...perhaps we can re-define the word:-

"Hooliganism...the acts of raucous merriment by Norwich City fans in the celebrating of goals by Wesley Hoolahan" ...I dream!

I liked Gangs of New York. But in terms of football, not a film but TV series, Real Football Factories International is a real eye opener and a book by Tony O''Neill Red Army General...

[quote user="WEEN_NASTY"]

Hooligan films translate on to screen about as well as football films do.

I''d rather sit in no mans land on a step ladder wearing a luminous balaclava than watch them.

[/quote]Or a Blackadder box set.  Excellent taste sir.   [:D]

All said already, Football Factory rules from The Firm as out and out hoolie films go. However, although Green Street has the most unbelievable Cockney lead character (the one with an aussie accent) it also has the most believable hooligan - the guy from the rival firm with the greasy shoulder length hair, think he was Millwall but looked more ike a manc or a mickey mouser.

The earlier posting was spot on too, Rise of the Footsoldier is a must see film and knocks spots off the others for violence and realism, probably because it''s a true story.

Can''t agree with I.D. though, absolute garbage, Jossy''s Giants meets The Bill for a punch up!! Too many scarves tied round wrists with Dr Martens going on - reminded me of Man U in the Barclay!

Generally speaking, I hate violent films, but I remember one with Philip Davis (one of my favourite actors) with dyed blond hair charging about in a white Mk1 Golf convertible. I think Tim Roth was in it as well, but I can''t be sure.Anybody remember what it''s called?

Green Street-The wooden acting, crap script, and the stage school plastic mockney voiced leader was a prat. Crap film

The Frim-Not bad

ID-Terrible

Football factory-Funny but overated

Rise of the footsoldier-Brilliant!

Arevedeci Millwall-not bad at the time

cass-havent seen it

[quote user="ched seven"]

[/quote]totally agree has to be ID  great film

There was a TV drama about 10 years ago about two cops who start off infiltrating a hooligan gang and one of them gets taken over by it and becomes a hooligan.  Pretty good it was, can''t remember what it was called tho.

Football Factory is the best I have seen...

"Eh, have you met my mate Stanley?" lol, makes me laugh every time when that Scouser says that.

[quote user="Fat Strawberry"]

There was a TV drama about 10 years ago about two cops who start off infiltrating a hooligan gang and one of them gets taken over by it and becomes a hooligan.  Pretty good it was, can''t remember what it was called tho.

[/quote]

I think you''re talking about ID.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID_%28film%29

I haven''t seen any of the other ones mentioned. Off topic slightly but it''s a sad indictment on our country that for every one insightful and interesting book on the history of football there are about ten crammed full of macho horsesh*t written by wheezing, red faced. fat headed cretins whose idea of a good time is beating the crap out of somebody. I sometimes wonder whether we really like the game of football that much in this country or whether we just like the idea of being football fans [:^)]

True, but Cass Pennant has had a bit of a bashing in this thread, but he is a fully reformed Hooligan. His book "Congratulations: You Have Just Met The ICF" is actually quite a good read.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

I haven''t seen any of the other ones

mentioned. Off topic slightly but it''s a sad indictment on our

country that for every one insightful and interesting book on the

history of football there are about ten crammed full of macho

horsesh*t written by wheezing, red faced. fat headed cretins whose

idea of a good time is beating the crap out of somebody. I sometimes

wonder whether we really like the game of football that much in this

country or whether we just like the idea of being football fans [:^)]

[/quote]

I think for some its simply an excuse to commit violence, regardless of

the football allegiances.  A friend of mine is one of those weird

anti-football loons and one of his more insane arguments is that

football causes violence and so should be banned to reduce it. 

Unfortunately, as I often argue in response, I believe that if you take

football away from the hooligans they will simply find something else

to start fights about - be it Rugby, Religion or Pixar movies, they''ll

always find something that they can disagree with someone else

on.  Now that would make a good film!

"''Ere geezer, some scrote''s bin chattin'' that you''re a fan of Finding Nemo?"

"Urgh, wot ov it, bruv?"

"Well I ''appen to fink Monsters Inc is superior, sunshine.  So... you''re in for a hiding...."

Personally am a football factory man with ID coming in 2nd. Green Street unrealistic but an enjoyable watch. Didn''t really like the Firm that much although the Yeti is a great character!

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Fat Strawberry"]

[/quote]

I think you''re talking about ID.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID_%28film%29

I haven''t seen any of the other ones mentioned. Off topic slightly but it''s a sad indictment on our country that for every one insightful and interesting book on the history of football there are about ten crammed full of macho horsesh*t written by wheezing, red faced. fat headed cretins whose idea of a good time is beating the crap out of somebody. I sometimes wonder whether we really like the game of football that much in this country or whether we just like the idea of being football fans [:^)]

[/quote]

Yes I think that must be it.  Checked the plotline on Wiki - which seems to miss the point however.  He says "John embraced the National Front lifestyle in the same way as he had the hooligan lifestyle" but doesn''t link the two.  There was a direct connection between the far right and many if not all organised hooligan firms in the 70s and 80s.  They used football stadiums as a recruiting ground.  The government must have been well aware of it at the time but played it down and focused on the violence aspect rather than the racism one.