Sign in to follow this  
Things are looking up

Swearing in the stands!

Like to know other peoples opinions on this one. I admit you expect passion and frustrations run high and it''s inevitable you''ll here a certain amount but should people be allowed to use language that would get you arrested in the City amongst the crowd. For example I take my lads with me to the games, all 3 of us are season ticket holders, and on Boxing Day we and those around us were bombarded with no thought or respect of other people and children, with chants of  "Pardew you''re a C**T". We''ve had successful campaigns to kick out racism let''s have one to stamp this out too.

I admit ive lost control and used some bad language on occaisons this season, but i wouldnt ever use "c**t" not that its particularly acceptable whatever. It happens in the spr of the moment, but whats to be expected when rob Styles is officiating!

oh come on. you cant go to the football and expect no swearing. half the songs have swear words in them. its just a thing of football you cant go complaining about it ...

Its always been a part of football, always will be. When i go, i make a conscious effort not to sit near anyone with young kids, if i have to do so i tone my language down but do sometimes lapse.You can''t stop people swearing at football and why should we all have to watch ourselves the whole time we''re at a game because you decided to take your kids? i''m not being argumentative, but people go to the football to relax and don''t want to have to watch what they say, and vent frustrations etc.The supporters passion is a massive part of football. If we were banned from swearing, we might as well sit there in silence for fear a slip of the tongue may get us ejected.I''m sorry but this is ludicrous. You know football fans swear, I went when i was a kid and people swore, and my dad went as a kid and people swore. It is no surprise, so why should thousands upon thousands of fans change their behaviour because you took your kids knowing full well thats what happens?If people around you are using language you find offensive then ask them if they can tone it down. Most City fans are reasonable enough to do so if you explain it''s due to your kids being there. If they carry on regardless, then they are a little rude, but i certainly wouldn''t blame them as they have paid there entrance money just like you and have certainly not gone in there expecting to be censored.

For heavens sake, is it really coming to this? 

About thirty four years ago now my day first took me to Carrow Road and in the context of this debate I was just short of five years old.  Over this period one thing has remain an unwavering constant, namely the rather ‘ripe’ use of the English language whether at Carrow Road or away from home and pretty mush regardless of which stand we have been sat in. 

Now in what way has this played out on my life?  Do I wander into see my bank manger and call him a c---?  Nope!   

When sat discussing matters with my solicitor that I don’t agree with do I call him the same? Nope!  

When travelling up the A11 and I see yet another speed camera van do we slow down, wind down the window and call the operator one, of course we f------ do! 

You see its all about knowing how and when to use such things and so long as I draw breath a Saturday afternoon at Carrow Road can, will and indeed must contain the active use of the English language in all its rich and varied forms, its part of going to the football! 

To conclude, if you don’t like it do something else and when in a few years time my own son comes with me the onus will not be on behaving like some deranged cast member from the Life of Brian banging on about banning swearing but ensuring the young man knows that these are not words to be used at Grandmas or indeed to call the teacher a w----- when you don’t agree with her.  

This I think is known as parental responsibility but there again I always enjoyed it when my dad and his mates passed the hip flask around, smoked and did any other amount of ‘un-yoghurt-knitting’ like activities, its known as going to the football. 

“Shekel for an ex-leper”

Well this is how it seems to me: it''s not especially pleasant language to use, and obviously you don''t want your kids using that sort of language. But let''s face it, kids hear that sort of language anyway, and that will increase as they get older. You can''t hide it from them, really. And they''re only words, I wouldn''t put it on the same level as racism. If they start using language like that, and obviously you wouldn''t want them to, punish them for it. Seems simple enough to me. That would stop them pretty quickly, I''d guess.

[quote user="Keep the faith"]

Like to know other peoples opinions on this one. I admit you expect passion and frustrations run high and it''s inevitable you''ll here a certain amount but should people be allowed to use language that would get you arrested in the City amongst the crowd. For example I take my lads with me to the games, all 3 of us are season ticket holders, and on Boxing Day we and those around us were bombarded with no thought or respect of other people and children, with chants of  "Pardew you''re a C**T". We''ve had successful campaigns to kick out racism let''s have one to stamp this out too.

[/quote]

Would you not be better off going to church ?.

Where do you sit ? there is such thing as a family area which i am sure the language is different to the snake pit and Barkley

I have two kids, aged 5 and 8. They have both been to games and have both heard many, many swear words at the match, at home and in other environments (not least the play ground). My view is that swearing is like farting - everyone does it, but we must learn when and where it is appropriate or not. Farting is ok within the family, but not in front of the teacher - the same rules apply (to a certain extent) with swearing. Both my kids know loads of swear words but would never dream of using them - it''s ''grown-up talk'' (and even the grown ups use it at ''certain'' times). After a game, we''ve talked about the swearing and decided that it''s kind of ok at the football but we wouldn''t dream of using that sort of language in the classroom or over dinner at Grandmas. They understand this - they''re not stupid.It happens, we can''t ''protect'' kids against it, but we can educate and bring up kids with healthy social attitudes.

Perhaps the family enclosure would be a more pertinent environment if you are concerned about the language? I agree with the above posters that it''s part and parcel of the footballing experience. I''d be interested to know where in the ground you were sitting - I sit in the River End Upper, and there''s not a great deal of it up there. I''ve got a ten-year-old lad sitting next to me, and a woman who must be well into her eighties in front of me, and it''s generally a more family-oriented area of the ground. That doesn''t stop some of us unleashing the odd verbal volley now and again, but as long as it''s moderate rather than a 90-minute tirade, nobody really minds. Considering that 25 years ago we were experiencing mass racist chanting and rampant hooliganism, I think that modern stadia are a comparatively good cross-section of society, and I''d have no hesitation in taking any kids I may have in the future to Carrow Road.

[quote user="dugh"]I have two kids, aged 5 and 8. They have both been to games and have both heard many, many swear words at the match, at home and in other environments (not least the play ground). My view is that swearing is like farting - everyone does it, but we must learn when and where it is appropriate or not. Farting is ok within the family, but not in front of the teacher - the same rules apply (to a certain extent) with swearing. Both my kids know loads of swear words but would never dream of using them - it''s ''grown-up talk'' (and even the grown ups use it at ''certain'' times). After a game, we''ve talked about the swearing and decided that it''s kind of ok at the football but we wouldn''t dream of using that sort of language in the classroom or over dinner at Grandmas. They understand this - they''re not stupid.

It happens, we can''t ''protect'' kids against it, but we can educate and bring up kids with healthy social attitudes.
[/quote]

I cant believe you fart. Thats disgusting.

[/quote]

Not allowed to smoke at the ground, not allowed to drink in the stands, and now you want us to control our language as well! Despite the fact that various groups of people have tried to change the origins and basis of the game, football is a WORKING CLASS game that is played by the working class, and watched by the working class Q.E.D the language will be working class. I don''t think your childrens ears will be subjected to anything more than what they will hear in the playground everyday. I take my 5 year old daughter and I accept that the language is part and parcel of the game, she knows that what she hears at a match is '' bad words '' and she would never dare use or repeat what she hears. Please find something else to worry about or maybe take your children to the ballet or something that will not offend you or them

I was asked at a Perth Glory match in Western Australia once by two teenagers "Is it true that they swear at football matches?".

I wanted to laugh and come up with the answer "Yes, and we won the war too!" but of course I did not.

Some weeks later the Italian owner gave out leaflets appealing to the fans not to swear as Perth Glory was "a family Club"

Well attendances went down, the team started to loose matches, the ground was moved to a more respectable suburb and the Club went into Administration.

Football, in England, must never loose its working class roots, swearing is part of its culture and (dare I say it)....... Italy lost the war!

[quote user="dugh"]I have two kids, aged 5 and 8. They have both been to games and have both heard many, many swear words at the match, at home and in other environments (not least the play ground). My view is that swearing is like farting - everyone does it, but we must learn when and where it is appropriate or not. Farting is ok within the family, but not in front of the teacher - the same rules apply (to a certain extent) with swearing. Both my kids know loads of swear words but would never dream of using them - it''s ''grown-up talk'' (and even the grown ups use it at ''certain'' times). After a game, we''ve talked about the swearing and decided that it''s kind of ok at the football but we wouldn''t dream of using that sort of language in the classroom or over dinner at Grandmas. They understand this - they''re not stupid.

It happens, we can''t ''protect'' kids against it, but we can educate and bring up kids with healthy social attitudes.
[/quote]I''d rather have someone swearing sitting near me rather than farting especially at this time of year with all the rich festive food, at least it doesn''t smell when someone swears unless they''ve been eating garlic.

Swearing is never going to stop at football. Should it be uttered in front of kids, probably not, but from the time they leave the house and go to school they are going to be hearing it. It''s a fact of life. My kids were both young when I took them into CR for the first time, but it wasn''t the first time they had heard anyone swearing. Both have grown up (as I did) hearing it at football, in the playground, in the streets, in normal everyday life.

Yes, there are family stands and when they were introduced I did try the one in the South Stand out for a season but it was so dull (and you still heard swearing). In fact we were sworn at by old men for standing up and singing. At a football match. It was too much for me and I moved to the Barclay which was more expensive but better for the sanity.

Where is the best stand for people with kids who don''t want them to hear anything? It doesn''t exist. But don''t blame football for them picking up swear words. We all do it and should admit to it.

If any F****** W*****S dare to swear or use F****** foul and abusive language within earshot of my precious little F****** Darlin''s down at Carra.......I''ll certainly give the F****** potty mouths a piece of my F****** mind I F****** tell ya! Then, when I''ve finished my F****** foulmouthed tirade against the F****** B******s who find it so hilarious to F****** swear in the presence of my blessed Kinder.....I''ll then instruct my little poppets to then give those expletive spewing B*****D A*$EH*LES a good old verbal bashing and a F****** taste of their own F******* medicine........and believe me, my kids know some F****** peaches!

Swearing should remain within the closed doors and soundproofed walls of the family home.......not within the aural senses and listening distance of the general F****** public.

As I said, time and a place for everything. Including farting!Glad I''ve obviously raised some smiles with the above post!HNY everyone!

[/quote]didn''t realise the N&P got that gutterish!!!  but seriously the ''c'' word is the one that gets the hackles raised most, doesn''t it??? hows bout you take the nippers into the fam enclosure, thats what its there for isn''t it???

[quote user="Len Greenrod"]If someone is swearing next to you and you don''t like it, why not fart next to them and see how they like that[I][/quote]

F****** farting is wholly flatulent family acceptable......We have regular household competitions for quality, substance, aroma, general nausea, teeth curling stench content, volume, and all round ''room clearing ability''.....

Playing ''Twister'' after a day of over indulgence of sprouts, ale, stuffing, onions, baked beans and other pump producing ingredients - that create the required mixture for high octane fart-fuelled Botty Burps is such a laugh.......

Toilet hoomer........fantastic![:P]

[/quote]Comparing racism and swearing is both offensive and hugely ignorant. I suggest that this kind of attitude would be far more damaging to a child''s upbringing than a few colourful words...

So all you PC ppl out there. Are you telling me that you have never sung the words "the referee a w*****" or "Get up a diving b******" and last of all after a decision gone a gainst you, you have never told the referee what you think off him.  Perhaps you quiet bunch should come up with new chants while eating your prawn sarnies and after we have banned swearing we could also try cutting out the negative hand gestures.

If the PC do gooders of this world had their own way, there would be nothing left to emjoy! Swear words are only words which your kids are going to hear whether they go to the football, or not. This whole swearing at football debate makes me f*****g angry, if you don''t like it, don''t go. I''d certainly stop going if football turned into just another branch of the nanny state!!!

[/quote]

Sit in the right stand then....  muppet.  I enjoy a good swear at matches, as for what police will arrest you for, in this nanny state swearing is an excuse to arrest people whom otherwise they would not be able to arrest.  As usual the police are a disgrace.

There has been plenty of publicity about managers and players getting abuse lately but does anyone agree with me there is a difference between a collective chant specifically aimed for a short spell in a game as a reaction to an hame related event - such as the Pardew rift - and prolonged personal abuse, often out of context and commonly down to one or a few individuals.

There are plenty of examples of this kind of cowardice where individual supporters get themselves off by persistently shouting personal abuse at a player or manager in the safe knowledge they are unlikely to suffer a reaction. Quite honestly, when a player does a Cantona and snaps my sympathy is with the player.

I didn''t like the post game abuse a section of The Barclay dished out to Matt Holland who is an honest professional and was walking over to salute his supporters. It just brought discredit on those doing it and I cannot believe it plays well with our own players or those we seek to bring in.

I have done it myself, as a less mature person, and am not proud of it. Fortunately, it doesn''t happen at Norwich much.

It is a difficult dividing line to describe in many instances but I think we all know when it doesn''t feel right.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

[quote user="Len Greenrod"]If someone is swearing next to you and you don''t like it, why not fart next to them and see how they like that[I][/quote]

F****** farting is wholly flatulent family acceptable......We have regular household competitions for quality, substance, aroma, general nausea, teeth curling stench content, volume, and all round ''room clearing ability''.....

Playing ''Twister'' after a day of over indulgence of sprouts, ale, stuffing, onions, baked beans and other pump producing ingredients - that create the required mixture for high octane fart-fuelled Botty Burps is such a laugh.......

Toilet hoomer........fantastic![:P]

[/quote]

Mello Yello, your two responses made me laugh more than what has been on TV recently.

"

If the PC do gooders of this world had their own way"eh ?What on earth has swearing got to do with political correctness ? We are living in a society where no expression, thought, sentiment or idea can be stated without setting off the "pc gone made brigade".

[quote user="Len Greenrod"]If someone is swearing next to you and you don''t like it, why not fart next to them and see how they like that[I][/quote]the indiscriminate use of dirty bombs isn''t the best weapon to deploy in such circumstances - surely the wind has to be in the right direction to punish the guilty party, else you run the risk of injuring innocent people nearby???

[/quote]

I thought that chant was hilarious.

Swearing doesn''t bother me, but I go with mates, and not sons/daughters.  If I had kids, that would be different, but then I would try the N&P stand, maybe, or somewhere quieter.

Cant you?  I swear - but is it acceptable?  Why is it any different to shouting it in the street ultimately?  Interesting debate.

[quote user="ipswichrscum"]oh come on. you cant go to the football and expect no swearing. half the songs have swear words in them. its just a thing of football you cant go complaining about it ...[/quote]