Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

Chris Brown - Goalscorer or Money Wasted?

I would just like to start a post on Chris Brown - our Sunderland signing from last season.The boy has had a good pre-season, but is this guy gonna net us 15-20 goals this season?Is he put up front because he is a handful, or for his goals, or for his creativity. He hasn''t exactly set the world alight since he arrived, although I know he has suffered with injuries. However, he wasn''t spectacular when he was at Sunderland either.Just wondered what all your thoughts are about him for this season?PS - Not being critical too early, but just wondered whether he will be any good?

not gonna be a 20 goal a season striker but not a waste of money either, he holds the ball up superbly and cause defenders all sort of problems, put him up front with a poacher and he''ll be a success

Suggested a bit of a panic buy. Cover for Earnie, then Martin came good.Nothing to stop him from doing the business. Bit of pressure on places up front so it''ll be up to him to knuckle down and prove what he has got.What has been shown in the past season or so is how much is down to the player''s attitude. A number haven''t wanted to be here and it has shown. Thankfully they''ve gone. And Grant needs to be just as ruthless with anyone else similiarly minded.Safri was shipped out for that I would suggest and given the Saints dire straights too much money didn''t come our way either.Let''s hope Brown doesn''t become another Thorne.

He has been a different player this season in the pre-season and our one game. I for one believe he can, and I hoping that he will, come good.

As a striker, of course, it''s important that he contributes his share of goals although I''d be suprised if he hit the 15 or 20 goal mark for the season.  Just as important is whether his strike partners can feed off him and his ability to hold the ball up and take the pressure off us when we defend, particularly late in the game.  This is something that we''ve lacked the past couple of seasons and probably explains why we''ve conceeded so many late goals. 

In all the pre-season games he has looked our best forward. Even on saturday against preston he did ok, not that he had any chances to score. What i like about him is his strengh and he seems to have pace too. Don''t judge him on last season because he is like a different player this year. I was writing him off last season too, but after seeing him now i wouldn''t be surprised if he ended up being our top scorer!

No he is not going to get 15-20 a season but I don''t think Grant brought him here to do that.  He is a battering ram, simple as that, someone for another striker to play off.

[quote user="sig"]As a striker, of course, it''s important that he contributes his share of goals although I''d be suprised if he hit the 15 or 20 goal mark for the season.  Just as important is whether his strike partners can feed off him and his ability to hold the ball up and take the pressure off us when we defend, particularly late in the game.  This is something that we''ve lacked the past couple of seasons and probably explains why we''ve conceeded so many late goals. [/quote]

exactly

a striker is meant to stick the ball in the net.. ok so his link up play is good, but then there were times last season where Peter Thorne was linking up play winning flicks etc... Brown needs to score and needs to score soon otherwise the finger is going to be pointed. His record for sunderland and Hull at this level haven''t been great. to quote Jimmy Hill "I am not convinced" as yet that Brown will be any good.

im hoping he proves me wrong, but unless he can start scoring soon then he doesnt justify a place in the team.

jas :)

[quote user="Saint Canary"]No he is not going to get 15-20 a season but I don''t think Grant brought him here to do that.  He is a battering ram, simple as that, someone for another striker to play off.[/quote]

Agree.

Also if we bought him as a new player in the summer, having seen Dave, Jamie, play we would have been bigging this guy up!  Give him time, big men get about 10goals, and set up others.

Crofty, hucks, jamie, martin, smith, and russell, should all benefit from him!

Not a 20 a season player, although being fair, there aren''t that many players out there who would guarantee you this.Brown was clearly signed as a target player to give Earnie the ammo to finish, as Curo is a very similar style striker, this is likely to be our best option, with DTS & Martin as subs to offer something different.Would expect Brown to bag just under double figures this season, maybe more if we perform well as a team.

[quote user="ricky knight"]will he get 15-20 goals, no. saying no more.[/quote]

No also... and I will say more Ricky....

He is utter pants and far too many City fans are too easily pleased!!!

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

Fans are pleased with what they''ve SEEN of Brown this season so far smudgie. To describe a player as pants when you wouldn''t recognise him even if you passed him in the street is just plain silly. DUH!

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

I wonder if you said the same about iwan roberts after his first season at the club? I bet you did. come on....admit it

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]Not that you''d have a clue about any of that....

[quote user="ricky knight"]there is no comparison between the two imo.[/quote]

Do you remember Iwan''s first season? I think there are quite strong grounds for comparison, assuming Brown has a very ordinary/poor first season. 

[quote user="ricky knight"]there is no comparison between the two imo.[/quote]

Iam sorry but read this board everyday and never bothered to register and before anyone flames me

yes i was a season ticket holder and go to games

had to give it up since the return to work of my missus and the new little fellow

but you dont know anything the first season iwan was here he was abused solid by the barcley went to at least 3 games where

the lower C/D/E boed him solid everytime he touched the ball though doubtfull any of them will admit it

really fed up with the constant putting down of the new players they might not all be the best but would rather have all of them

over the gutless monkeys we let go

good, seems i wasn''t alone then ricky in seeing a comparison with Iwan and Brown. I am not saying for one moment brown will go on the achieve the same things, but as paul101 says it did take Iwan a season to kick start his canaries career. They are similar player types and I bet people could name many more. I really think Brown COULD turn out to be a top signing and would hate to see his potential curtailed if he doesnt have the same character as Iwan had to rise above the boo boys (ie hendo et al).

theres is no harm in having different opinions on players abilities, just saying they are pants with no explanation or evidence to back such an argument to bait other posters is not cricket and it was this that propmted me to respond.

[quote user="ricky knight"]with respect Iwan was a proven goalscorer before he came here, what is Brown''s record, not good i would suggest.[/quote]

Brown is younger.

[quote user="One Flew Over..."]

He just got assist..

If he helps Cureton to be top scorer again this year then he is neither a goal scorer or money wasted.

[/quote]Agreed. If he''s part of a cohesive and successful partnership / trio (or even squad) then who cares if he scores the goals? Its a TEAM game remember! I wish there was less ''float or sink, lose or lose'' persecution directed at every bloody signing we make!!!  We just scored 5 goals in the first 30 mins, try a smile instead  [:D]  !!!

[quote user="Marty"][quote user="ricky knight"]with respect Iwan was a proven goalscorer before he came here, what is Brown''s record, not good i would suggest.[/quote]

Brown is younger.
[/quote]

So, he still has no track record to speak of.

some of you live in cloud cuckoo land - if we had two guaranteed 15-20 goal a season strikers we would win the league or go into administration.

We have one 15-20 goal a season striker in cureton and 2/possibly 3 if dion has the legs who can get 8-15 each if they get the games.

Chris Brown works hard and holds the ball up well, bringing others in to play.  The guy has hardly played with his injuries but i can already see a few sof you niffing for new blood to set the baying mob on to.  Lets encourage and see what happens.

This is a little sad - it is as if some actually want Brown to fail just to prove themselves right.  IMO the jury does have to still be out for Brown as he just hasn''t yet quite delivered in league games, but I do hope he does simply because he is playing for Norwich.   To a great extent I am not too bothered who is playing or who is scoring if we win and play well.  If that means Brown playing every game, scoring a few but more often laying it on for Cureton/others then that to me is fair enough.  I recall the much maligned Rosario who linked up well with Fleck - it was Fleck who got most of the goals and the plaudits, but they were often from Rosario''s assists.

heh smudger so predictableChrissy Brown is a young Iwan, who once he finds his feet will hopefully go on to be as good as Iwan was for us.