Sign in to follow this  
yellow hammer

Scum word is so offensive

I just can''t equate a love and passion for Norwich City with a hatred of someone else, that diminishes rather than enhances the good I feel about my club. I want beautiful football and long-term success for the yellow and green; any other team blue/white/red whoever just doesn''t enter the equation.

My ire is directed toward Archant in particular for allowing these offensive word to be published, in so doing they obviously condone them

Yellow Hammer

[quote user="Gorleston Jim"] Yellow Hammer, I too find it difficult to use the word ''scum'' against someone who merely follows their football team just the same way I do mine.Personally I grew up in an age when the word was reserved for rapists, murderers, child molesters and suchlike.Over recent years it has become a common word to be used among rival supporters none of whom are hardly likely to mean it in that way at all.We don''t have use it mate, we just mustn''t misconstrue the meaning of those who do.  

[/quote]Cracking post. I''ve never thought that those from ''older'' generations have used the word ''scum'' for such vicious criminals, but as you quite rightly say, the perception of the word scum of younger generations is certainly seperate.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Now we can all see where the energy that fuels hooliganism comes from.[um]

OTBC

[/quote]

Oh no more of this bleeding heart stuff.. its making me feel sick [+o(]

I''ve been desensitzed by violence and bad language on tv. I suggest you get Sky in your Tibetan monestry and try watching some.

Next you''ll be quoting the Human Rights Act and wanting to grant them asylum.

Please, no more of this we''ve got better things to argue about.

Scum, Scum, Scum

It depends on how you define "scum". It could also relate to the "la de da" modern "kickyball" enthusiasts who have hijacked this club and turned it into the laughing stock it is now. They too are scheming against the success of NCFC....so in a way are they equally entitled to the label perhaps?

We all have our idea of scum...it just depends on how we perceive certain factions of society.

Yellow Hammer,

As big Bill Shakespeare would say "What''s in a name? That which we call scum, by any other name would smell as bad."

scum, scum, scum, scum.....

PS If you think that it is something that was started by us, then you are very much mistaken!

It''s the sort of people who think we have a ''frinedly rivalry'' with ipswich who are ruining football especially matchday atmosphere''s.

I think most fans would use much more offensive words to describe them if they could get away with it.

[quote user="Cluck "]

It depends on how you define "scum". It could also relate to the "la de da" modern "kickyball" enthusiasts who have hijacked this club and turned it into the laughing stock it is now. They too are scheming against the success of NCFC....so in a way are they equally entitled to the label perhaps?

We all have our idea of scum...it just depends on how we perceive certain factions of society.

[/quote]

Trust you to hijack another thread with your petty war on Norwich city fans give it a rest.

[quote user="barclayendboy"][quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

Trust you to hijack another thread with your petty war on Norwich city fans give it a rest.
[/quote]

Erm thing is, he does have a point.

[quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

It needs no definition Cluck. Your ongoing fight with the present board is irrelevent to this thread.

It relates to all things Ipswich, and thats more than enough for me.

Sure, it''s a very unpleasant word, but the average City fan has very unpleasant feelings towards that shower down the A140, myself included. I will always look at Ipswich fans and players, as a collective body, as ''scum'', but I also have a couple of friends and colleagues who support ITFC and, as individuals, I don''t think of them as ''scum'' because I know them to be very nice people. I think it''s mutually acceptable and inevitable as a collective term, but surely we should aspire to take every individual human being as we find them?

Why is it offensive - it fits perfectly with Blue

I personally ( with my 7 year old son ) call them the great unwashed - but far worse when I am not with him - he asked me yesterday which one had use of the brain for the day

I have a deep seated and long term loathing of them and Suffolk in general , but whilst bringing up my kids as NCFC fans and making sure they appreciate the true position that our blue "friends " should be viewed - I try and make it comedic for them - because  if you pass on hatred you make them think it - where comedy is different

EG - Jim Magilton is Mr NYE THEN

The players are idiots or super idiots , the town smells , the people don;t wash and have 1 brain between them

So while maintaining a yellow and green supeiority complex ( as it should be ) I hope I am teaching my kids that dislike and pity are better than hate and vitriol

I still know them as the scum myself!!!!  

i don''t get why so many people hate Ipswicht he way they do, the vast majority of my friends and my brother are all Ipswich fans and none of them even view us as there biggest rival, they all hate colchester alot more than us.

the fact that most of my mates etc are all ipswich fans stops me hating them, sure we have a bit of friendly micky taking, does this make me any less of a norwich fan? no... i still love Norwich, i just don''t hate Ipswich

[quote user="K Lo"]You sort of have a point. I mean, where would be the fun if the Binners were in the Conference and we were in the Prem. I''d rather we be in the same league and then give them a good hiding twice a year.[/quote]Have to agree with this part... It''s fun to have a "rivalry", but if its not competitive then it''s not really worthy of that name. Wouldn''t the sweetest victory over Ipswich be in the Championship play-off final, the FA cup final or (okay, this is pushing it) the final of the Champions'' League. Now those would be ALMIGHTY bragging rights!Which was the better rivalry? Liverpool vs Everton back in the 1980s, when they consistently vied for first and second spot in the league? Or Cheltenham vs Gloucester, where the former is in League 1 and the latter is two divisions below the Conference??

[quote user="barclayendboy"][quote user="Cluck "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Dropping 4 points to Ipswich might just suggest that they are a better side than us in 2007?  Is that the part you find difficult to swallow?...

There are those causing this club far more damage than Ipswich Town at this very moment...but we mustn''t look at the facts must we?  Let''s all just blame ITFC and call them silly names then shall we?....and then watch them beat us again next year.

Never mind what you call them...they comprehensively beat us once and held us to a draw at home. How about worrying about that for a moment then?

Since we are Norwich, A Fine City, and they are Ipswich, A Mere Town, then why bother to demean ourselves?

It says more about us to be mouthing scum, scum, scum ,[8o|], [8o|], [8o|] than about those in receipt of the tirades.

The higher ground [H] is always more comfortable than the lower ground[li].

But, each to his own I suppose.[B]

OTBC

Since we are Norwich, A Fine City, and they are Ipswich, A Mere Town, then why bother to demean ourselves?

It says more about us to be mouthing scum, scum, scum ,[8o|], [8o|], [8o|] than about those in receipt of the tirades.

OTBC

[/quote]But the higher ground has thin air, a cold climate and the danger of falling, not to mention the struggle to get up there in the first place...The lower ground is warmer, much more accessible and has more pubs... who''s more comfortable now? [;)]Scum, scum, scum, scum, scum...(Ipswich, bly, not you)

As a matter of interest the word was apparently first used in the abusive sense by Portsmouth dockers when the Southampton Company Union Men (spelt SCUM of course) broke the Pompey ship building strike some time before even I was born.

So therefore the only real scummers are Southampton FC fans.

TO BE HONEST, I SINCERELY HOPE THERE ARE NO IPSWICH FANS THAT HAVE READ THIS THREAD BECAUSE THEY''LL BE LAUGHING UNCONTROLLABLY

[quote user="Gorleston Jim"]

As a matter of interest the word was apparently first used in the abusive sense by Portsmouth dockers when the Southampton Company Union Men (spelt SCUM of course) broke the Pompey ship building strike some time before even I was born.

[/quote]

Yes I agree. I only object to the word ''scum'' as it''s so unoriginal, Pompey have been using it for years. Sheff Wed call Sheff Utd the pigs but... erm... I can''t think of any more now.

[/quote]

Indeed.  And for a bonus point, why do Southampton fans call Pompey fans "Skaters"?

[/quote]

Pompey have certainly for many many years called Southampton fans Scummers and it really is just part of the language down here. For example, many people talk about going to Scumton rather than Southampton even if they are going there for shopping or something.

The dockyard story is, I believe, a bit of an urban myth Jim. It has become sort of folklore but apparently there is no evidence whatsoever of a strike broken by Southampton dockers. However it would be fair to say that your last sentence would be considered absolutely true around here.

Mark .Y.

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

But the higher ground has thin air, a cold climate and the danger of falling, not to mention the struggle to get up there in the first place...

The lower ground is warmer, much more accessible and has more pubs... who''s more comfortable now? [;)]

Scum, scum, scum, scum, scum...

(Ipswich, bly, not you)
[/quote]

EM

Logically then, it seems then that you prefer (a) Town to (a) City!!!

Well, well.[:)]

OTBC

[quote user="hogesar"]TO BE HONEST, I SINCERELY HOPE THERE ARE NO IPSWICH FANS THAT HAVE READ THIS THREAD BECAUSE THEY''LL BE LAUGHING UNCONTROLLABLY[/quote]

At you, I suppose? [:)]

OTBC

In many ways its the rivalry and tribalism of football that engenders so much passion and scenes of unbridled joy at victories. Is there not a frisson of excitement when heading into hostile territory for an away match. Would a victory taste so sweet were we greeted with a glass of pimms and some canapes? Lose that rivalry, take the passion out and you destroy the fabric of the game.

I have heard this word used elsewhere in the context of Southampton/Portsmouth rivalries so there may be some truth in Gorleston Jim''s point, but I have also heard it used many times by Villa and Birmingham City fans with a lot more invective than our rather apologetic usage. Its a lot better than some other possibilities I can think of.

I also know some pretty decent Ips**** fans but I have to say that I can''t talk football with them because I do get wound up that they support THAT team.................I just don''t understand how they can do it.

I don''t think we should call them ''Scum'' - as they''ll just run and tell their ''Mum''!

"Who''s actually, their sister"............. [6]

In the 70''s as a yoof trying to be ''hard'' the predeterminate ''hatred'' of all things Ipswich was always blown back at me by the unfortunate fact that Ipswich regularly beat us comprehensively on the pitch.

In later times we had the upper hand or were simply a league above and for me giving a bloody nose to Man Utd or Arsenal carried more kudos.

In recent times fortunes have been pretty even.

I have to say I have no affection for Ipswich supporters who have been vile in their conduct towards Norwich fans but have now reached a level of maturity where I understand these morons to not only to be in the minority but also to represent behavioural traits unworthy of replication or any attempt to escalate.

It is a shame that two good provincial Clubs who''s supporters are generally very alike and who chose to support their local team have to engage in self-generated hatred when absolute rivalry and a desire to overcome in all departments is enough.

I have been on holiday in Spain with my children, one of whom wore a Norwich shirt met some other kids in their Ipswich shirts and their Father had to make some derogatory remark when he simply needed to act his age, set an example and not try to live out his own purile childishness through his own kids. He got the message and gladly appeared to feel like the prat he was.

I would really like to see the Pinkun and East Anglian Daily Times or the Clubs start up some kind of friendship package so Norwich fans or Ipswich fans can go away, meet up with like minded supporters and have a great day out without fear of some screw-loose wanting to set on them.

I am glad we have a local Derby, I like to have a dig at our rivals, I don''t hate anyone based on who they support and if I hate anything in football it is the divisions caused by the super-rich and the self interested.

Ah stop worrying about the kids will ya. They are all desensitzed and probably know more swear words than you do.

Just like a kid learns what the yellow and black of a wasp means after being stung, and little ''un on the the receiving end of some Ipswich unpleasantness will learn to dislike all things blue and white.  

Its the way of the world...and always has been.

scum,scum,scum[:D][:D]

[quote user="hogesar"]TO BE HONEST, I SINCERELY HOPE THERE ARE NO IPSWICH FANS THAT HAVE READ THIS THREAD BECAUSE THEY''LL BE LAUGHING UNCONTROLLABLY[/quote]

At you, I suppose? [:)]

OTBC

[/quote]Nah, im afraid more at the peculiar fact some of our fans cry at the idea of calling our local rivals ''scum''.Oh god..