Sign in to follow this  
Canary & Linnet

Are you pleased you're not a Chelski fan?

It''s over 30 years since I last visited Stamford Bridge & I wouldn''t care if it''s another 30 before I go again

Why anyone turns up week in, week out to sample the ''atmosphere'' there I don''t know

We are obviously in the ''Sanatized Soccer'' era, fast moving onto the american baseball experience I had a few years ago while watching the Houston Astros, where the game seemed almost irrelevant, as long as you had enough coke & hot dogs

Obviously the high ticket prices at Chelsea & at other Premiership grounds are contributing to this situation, which begs the question do we as Norwich fans want to go down this route?

The passion shown by the travelling support, including Delia (regardless of your opinion of her), was obvious & the Norwich chants to Chelsea fans at the final whistle of  ''Four -Nil & you still don''t sing'' was telling.

I know we all have a good moan about our club, especially in the last 12-18 months, but I''d rather follow a football club than a corporate entity

On another note, the pitch at King''s Lynn''s Walks stadium is better than Chelsea''s! 

[quote user="Canary Linnet"]

I know we all have a good moan about our club, especially in the last 12-18 months, but I''d rather follow a football club than a corporate entity

[/quote]

Erm yes, wouldn''t we all?

Remember, NCFC are "obsessed with off the field activities"

[quote user="alex_ncfc"][quote user="Canary Linnet"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ha ha ha alex. Quote of the week eh?................[:D]

[quote user="london Canary"]

Give me "little old Norwich" anyday!

[/quote]

I second that London Canary, I''d much prefer a earned season in the premiership than supporting a team of egotistial overpaided playboys. Chelsea is nothing but a playground anymore, bring back the days of Vialli, Zola and Di Matteo

[/quote]

[/quote]

So what''s the alternative then, for the Club to run itself based on just it''s gate receipts of circa £7M pa ?????

Couldn''t agree more, Chelsea have become the Man Utd of the south. 4 of us sat in the west stand amongst Chelsea fans and most definately were not supporting the home side - not one person said a word! Without a doubt Norwich outsang Chelsea the entire game!

I would hope there is a happy medium, I know we live in the real world & gate receipts alone cannot fund an abitious club, hence NCFC''s ''off the field activities'', but when the heart & soul of the club i.e. Chelsea & Man United is ripped out, what is the point?

Which is the conclusion United FC must have come to

A friend of mine is a Chelsea fan (a real one of many years standing, his job got relocated to Norwich) and he despairs at what is happening at "the Bridge" and reckons there was a better atmosphere at games when they were in the old second division. A lot of the "fans" are in fact toursists visting London, Chelsea match tickets are sold on various tourist websites around the world. He goes back to watch Chelsea when he can (it costs him £50 for a match ticket!!), one match he went to he ended up sitting next to a couple who were clearly tourists, they left their seats after about 5 mins after kick off and returned with 5 mins to go laden down with bags of Chelski merchndise. You would have thought with all the money sloshing around he would be happy but he recognises that the real fans are priced out of games and his big fear is that the club will be in serious trouble if (when??) RA decides to bugger off.

[/quote]

[/quote]Where is that quote from Alex? Or are you just paraphrasing/misinterpreting something you heard else where to suit your own agenda?

One thing I have to say in favour of the Chelsea fans was the big cheer they gave when David Marshall was stretchered off the pitch... I remember the jeers that greeted Luke Chadwick at Portman Road when he was paraded around the pitch, and wondering whether we would do the same back at the Rud.Other than that, they''re obviously all glory hunters and nobody could possibly be a proper football fan if their team plays in the Prem. (seriously though, I do feel sympathy for Chelsea''s "proper" fans.)

I have to say that from where I was the Chelsea fans gave a pretty good account at times. You do get a different impression when you are all together in an away end when often you can''t hear anything but yourselves. While the Norwich end was in good voice initially and towards the end there were long periods in the second half when I heard the Chelsea fans a lot more. I have also been to all the other London grounds except for the Emirates stadium and some can be real morgues (the old Highbury, White Hart Lane unless Spurs were playing a rival and 3-0 up, Fulham). It should have been obvious to anyone going and walking around that while there are many salmon bagel eaters there are also many many ordinary fans who stretch themselves and fill up a lot of the stadium. I know its not the fashion to stick up for them, but just sharing my view. I had to travel to the game from the south west with no other City fans in sight and with my not inconspicuous scarf on I have to say that I would have felt much more comfortable if it had been all tourists...........

[quote user="I. Shurmer"][quote user="alex_ncfc"][quote user="Canary Linnet"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Where is that quote from Alex? Or are you just paraphrasing/misinterpreting something you heard else where to suit your own agenda?
[/quote]

Umm no, I think you''ll find Roger Munby said this in an interview just 4 or 5 weeks ago. So not only does it suit my agenda, it also came from the horses mouth.

Besides, like you even needed a quote from him? It''s blindingly obvious that football at our FOOTBALL CLUB comes in at a poor 3rd or 4th place.

Chelski posted a £80 million loss today. Think of the moans on here if we were Chelski. Interesting to see their revenue from football and merchandise

Just read in Chelsea programme notes from John Terry-

''It''s strange for us players sometimes when we play in front of opposing fans filling the Shed in cup games.

I think what happens is that they all sing, and it affects how you lot sing.

So everyone in the Matthew Harding, the East and the West has to join forces today to sing up against the Shed''.

''I''ll be listening!''

Didn''t Delia put it better a while ago?  ''Lets be ''avin you!''

A friend had to sit behind the goal in the chelsea end, when Shevchenko warmed up on the touch line during the 2nd half all the chelsea ''fans'' stood up to watch and take pictures.  which would be fair enough if it wasnt for the fact that we had a corner! Perhaps their defence (defense?) is so good the dont need to watch?!

[quote user="Birchington Yellow"]Yes. but I''m even more pleased that I''m not Cluck !! [:D][/quote]

You don''t know what you''re missing BY...........[;)]

[quote user="alex_ncfc"][quote user="I. Shurmer"][quote user="alex_ncfc"][quote user="Canary Linnet"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Where is that quote from Alex? Or are you just paraphrasing/misinterpreting something you heard else where to suit your own agenda?
[/quote]

Umm no, I think you''ll find Roger Munby said this in an interview just 4 or 5 weeks ago. So not only does it suit my agenda, it also came from the horses mouth.

Besides, like you even needed a quote from him? It''s blindingly obvious that football at our FOOTBALL CLUB comes in at a poor 3rd or 4th place.

[/quote]

Roger Munby said "Some people say we are obsessed with off the field activities". That is a very different thing Alex.

Ive got friends too who were Chelsea fans ''long ago''. They''ve supported Chelsea through thick and thin.

I dont mind Chelsea, actually I quite like them. Actually their Manager is rather ok too :wink

Seriously, Chelsea have known the low times and any ''older'' true fan will remember them.  There are glory seekers at Chelsea just like there are at Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool etc.

I went to Chelsea -v- Man Utd when Chelsea got the Premiership title last season as my husband''s Auntie is a Chelsea season ticket holder and I went along for the experience. I thought the atmosphere was great, Blue is the Colour being sung by all.

You''ll never beat Come on You Yellows tho. Ive been a City supporter for as long as I can remember and Im nearly 40 and it aint ever gonna change

Winning the league is all about money - whether its liverpool, manure, arsenal or chelski.  Even the fabled success of say a Bolton is down to the chairmans hugh cash injection in the club - but in wages rather than transfer fees.  Wasnt our promotion bought through the signings of Hux and Leon?  And didnt we get our own set of fairweather fans when we were promoted/successful?

Chelseas fans have endured hard times too so I do not begrudge them their success at the mo and given the chance most fans would jump at a oligarch pumping huge quantities of cash into the city squad - who wouldnt want to go to the nou camp etc in the champs league - bought or earnt?    Most chelsea fans I know (and have been for years, not months) accept that it will be a short lived relationship, will end in tears and so are making the most of it while they can.

Doesnt mean they have become over arrogant cocky so and sos tho 

Listen - the atmosphere at the yellow end of Stamford Bridge was absolutely fantastic and I have rarely been so proud to stand in a Norwich crowd but I think we are giving Chelsea a hard time. Their fans were so silent because their players gave them little to sing about - Chelsea never actually reached for second gear they were happy to let Norwich run themselves ragged for 45 minutes and cooloy took their chances when they arrived.

Let''s not forget ... we are hardly ''perfect'' fans at home. So many Norwich supporters come along, sit on their hands, occasionally grumble but largely wait to be entertained. Carrow Road can be horrifically silent SO OFTEN - if it wasn''t for the Barclay End and SP you could hear a pin drop! Let alone our booing and jeering of certain players recently. 

Just a word of encouragement posters-yesterdays News of the World sports page statement about Chelsea''s financial position, where it says that last year they were in the trading red to the tone of £90.000,000 and that it was expected they would be in the black by 2009. Their financial shortfall is due only because all of their players are only on £150,000 + a week, two were named to be on a total of £6,000,000 per season.  What does Little old Norwich think about competing in that sort of market?  That would be an ambitious pursuit of bankruptcy, or maybe a journey for the insane, or do you think that Delia did have the right choice of language, she could have added to more effect" Let''s be avin you".  Also think about this, they the players didn''t need any fan participation.  The fans just had a quiet murmur of satisfaction to one another and a downward smile to us noisy lot as they donned their leather clobber and moved disdainfully through the exits.  They just oozed smugness from every pore. Can we justify increasing our gate sizes to 400000 and increasing our entrance fees by 100% to be ambitious and compete with that sort of outlay just to get into the top half of the table?